LOST - The Final Season - LOST Auction Aug 21-22 (Post 1439)

[quote name='shinryuu']I missed Evangeline Lilly. =][/QUOTE]

You are really going to miss her after Lost is over. She is supposedly quitting acting and wants to work behind the scenes only.

Bleh. Wished she would have retired seasons ago. I can't help but still hold nothing but contempt for her and her character.

I don't doubt that the Black Rock was a slave ship. I'm probably thinking too logically, but if I'm assuming Alpert appears now as he did at some point during his life, he doesn't appear to have ever been a slave in the literal sense. Maybe a life of servitude to Jacob and the island, but not chained to a boat digging in a mine.

The boat left England for Thailand, and if it had slaves, I'd expect them to look much more like Eko than Alpert.

I like your theory of chains not being literal chains, though I think it's actual chains. We saw chains in the black rock in one of the seasons (think they had a skeleton in them too, possibly Alpert and the Alpert we see is a reincarnation?), and fake Locke said, "Glad to see you out of those chains." I don't think he was a slave, but something else.

Time will tell I guess.

[quote name='shinryuu']I missed Evangeline Lilly. =][/QUOTE]

Seriously her character is such a fucking POS... she screws over everyone she meets... if she wasn't so hot which blinds everyone... she would be the most horrible person to be around

Wow, you guys who are writing off this season after two episodes are ridiculous. Is this the Heroes thread or something? Anybody finding fault with the season this early just doesn't want to like the show.

Didn't answer any questions you say? How about once and for all finding out what the smoke monster is? I'm sorry, but that's a pretty big fucking deal considering it spans all the way back to the first episode, and explains Locke's face to face with Smokey in the jungle when it just backed away. Clearly, it knew it was going to need him in the future.

As for the "what if" b-story, I'm not convinced whether it's a parallel universe, or just a different time from the "present" on the island. My wife and I theorized that maybe setting off the bomb did work, but as the b-story plays out, we're going to learn that preventing the plane from crashing didn't make a damn bit of difference and that they'll all end up on the island anyway. That would be the "you can't fight destiny" angle. It wouldn't explain why they're not aware of it though.

I do like the suggestions of parallel universes "merging" though too. Dying on the island and "waking up" in an alternate universe is almost too hokey though...and it sounds eerily similar to the "they've been in a coma the whole time!" explanation that many people had in season one.

Anyway, I thought both episodes were fantastic. High intensity just like LOST should be. And every time I start to doubt JJ's storytelling, he puts out another great piece of work (Alias, Cloverfield, Fringe, and now Star Trek). I think he's more than proven himself. Can't wait to see how it all plays out!

[quote name='joe2187']...

Once again, Jack wins the award for the Most pitiful excuse for a man that can ever exist.

Jack needs to die,....really bad. A really horrible and pathetic death, like hanging himself in a gas station bathroom or falling off a cliff randomly...[/QUOTE]

He won't. Apparently the end of the show involves him, as he was the only one other than the show creators that originally knew how the show would end.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']And every time I start to doubt JJ's storytelling, he puts out another great piece of work (Alias, Cloverfield, Fringe, and now Star Trek). I think he's more than proven himself. Can't wait to see how it all plays out![/QUOTE]

I don't think JJ Abrams has been part of Lost since he was part of creating the show. He was part of the entire first season. Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse have since taken over and are the ones running the show run.

I'm glad they found a way to repurpose all those Amigas left over from Babylon 5 to make the opening CG sequence.

[quote name='Magus8472']I'm glad they found a way to repurpose all those Amigas left over from Babylon 5 to make the opening CG sequence.[/QUOTE]
Video Toaster FTL!

Just scanned through this. Boy am I confused now.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/LA_X,_Parts_1_%26_2/Theories

• Daniel had bandaids on the side of his neck before he was shot- this would explain Jack's neck wound.
  • Desmond was Daniel's constant- explaining why he was on the plane.
  • UnLocke is a judge on the island. He cannot kill anyone unless they are guilty. Firing a weapon at him would make them guilty.
  • Attacking him is ineffective and only turns him into the smoke monster, endangering all of them
  • The spring water in the Temple was darkened because it reflects the balance between Jacob and the MIB, and now with Jacob gone the balance has shifted towards the dark. It was stated that the water was previously clear; the fact that it is now dark must mean the dark is now in control. However, it is unusual that the keepers of the temple were not aware of the reason for the shift in color, although this could be because it has never happened before and they were simply unprepared.

[quote name='Shimrra']Just scanned through this. Boy am I confused now.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/LA_X,_Parts_1_&_2/Theories[/QUOTE]

From the same page:

I think that it is likely there are really only two dimensions. The alternate reality we are seeing with the plane never crashing didn't come into existence at the moment Juliet blew up the bomb, it came into existence at the moment Ben turned the wheel to move the island. This sent the Losties back in time, creating a new dimension. Thus Dharmaville with Sawyer and Juliet in the past is Dimension B, which is the Dimension in which the plane never crashed and the Island is on the bottom of the ocean. When Juliet hit the bomb to make it blow up, the 1977 Losties, including herself, Jack, Sawyer, etc. jumped back to the present of Dimension A.

Interesting...

So I am guessing that at the end of the second episode where the temple guards were telling Jack to come with them is because Christian (and possibly Claire) is in the temple. Guess we will see next week.

Speaking of Walt, where the hell has he been? It seemed like he was going to be the key to the Island's mysteries, and all we get are some brief appearances last season.

[quote name='DKRobbie']OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD! Whoo! What an opener! Lost may be on track to unseat The Shield as my favorite show ever if the consistency carries through to the series finale. One thing I can say about this show is with all the great imaginative ideas I hear and offer as far as what I expect to happen, this show continues to defy expectations and I never enjoy being so wrong.

And at the same time I was right!

SPOiLER

UNLOCK IS THE SMOKE MONSTER!
Alternate timelines!
Richard definitely came over as a slave on the black rock!

Lord do I love this show.[/QUOTE]

No way Lost tops how it ended for Shane in the shield. Most powerful and wrenching scene on TV in the last 10 years

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Speaking of Walt, where the hell has he been? It seemed like he was going to be the key to the Island's mysteries, and all we get are some brief appearances last season.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen how huge he has grown? i think he is shaving now lol

I think that it is likely there are really only two dimensions. The alternate reality we are seeing with the plane never crashing didn't come into existence at the moment Juliet blew up the bomb, it came into existence at the moment Ben turned the wheel to move the island. This sent the Losties back in time, creating a new dimension. Thus Dharmaville with Sawyer and Juliet in the past is Dimension B, which is the Dimension in which the plane never crashed and the Island is on the bottom of the ocean. When Juliet hit the bomb to make it blow up, the 1977 Losties, including herself, Jack, Sawyer, etc. jumped back to the present of Dimension A.

They seem to forget the fact that Sun(in present time aka the original timeline) was shown the photo from 1977 with Jin/Hurley/Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Juliet/Miles. This seems to me that it was really the past making a difference not just an alternate universe. Along with the time traveling Desmond did, made a difference in the timeline as well. So I think this theory needs some more work.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Speaking of Walt, where the hell has he been? It seemed like he was going to be the key to the Island's mysteries, and all we get are some brief appearances last season.[/QUOTE]

i dont expect him to play a major role in the events, but he might appear for an episode or two to move the plot along. he is special after all, but hes also much much older. his character was 10 when the show started, and in the show timeline would only be 13, but hes like 16 or 17 now. also probably the reason they didnt show walt or michael on the plane in the first ep.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']^With Rose and Bernard, either in the present or back in '77.[/QUOTE]

I think Rose & Bernard staying behind in the 70s resulted in them dying in that cave and being "found" as skeletons in the modern timeline after the plane crash.

[quote name='JJSP']I might be the only one, but I took Fake Locke's comment to Richard about being "free from his chains" as meaning he was free from the chains of immortality/servitude. A white guy wouldn't necessarily be a slave on any ship coming from Africa. For a guy that doesn't age, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Jacob had given Richard the gift of immortality so that Richard can act as a watchman of sorts for the island, reporting to Jacob and guiding the inhabitants according to Jacob's wishes.

With Jacob dead, perhaps Richard will lose all of his abilities.[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more

Flocke was wrong when he said Locke was the only one that didn't want to leave. Bernard and Rose wanted to stay as well. Its a minor detail but its one that jumped at me once he said it.

I heard on the news that the props from the show would be auctioned off for charity after the show. I really wish I could afford the Dharma VW van and some Dharma beer. Maybe a jumpsuit as well then drive around town in it.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']I heard on the news that the props from the show would be auctioned off for charity after the show. I really wish I could afford the Dharma VW van and some Dharma beer. Maybe a jumpsuit as well then drive around town in it.[/QUOTE]

you can get a jumpsuit at abc.com

i wouldnt mind getting a piece of lost but im poor, id imagine even prop beer cans will go for more than id want to spend on them. a dharma vw van would be awesome.

I'm surprised ABC isn't selling a beer cozy or something you can slip over a can to make it look like Dharma Initiative beer - or you could just DIY.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm surprised ABC isn't selling a beer cozy or something you can slip over a can to make it look like Dharma Initiative beer - or you could just DIY.[/QUOTE]

That's cool. Abc should take more advantage and create some more Lost themed items. If they make it, it will be bought.

I'm starting to think Flocke isn't the smoke monster. I watched it again last night, and it just didn't make sense for locke to disappear behind a pillar and then suddenly the smoke monster appears somewhere else? And didn't it protect the temple from those french guys in the past? I dunno, for some reason I just think it might not be the same person/thing/entity.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'm starting to think Flocke isn't the smoke monster. I watched it again last night, and it just didn't make sense for locke to disappear behind a pillar and then suddenly the smoke monster appears somewhere else? And didn't it protect the temple from those french guys in the past? I dunno, for some reason I just think it might not be the same person/thing/entity.[/QUOTE]

For all we know it(smoke monster) could have been coincidence he was in the cave/inlet that led to the temple. He could have just been trying to get to the castle himself(if he is the smoke monster) and got frustrated when he was not able to and took it out on the people that entered it. Man in Black, Black(ish) smoke monster, coincidence I think not....:cool:

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'm starting to think Flocke isn't the smoke monster. I watched it again last night, and it just didn't make sense for locke to disappear behind a pillar and then suddenly the smoke monster appears somewhere else? And didn't it protect the temple from those french guys in the past? I dunno, for some reason I just think it might not be the same person/thing/entity.[/QUOTE]

i know what you mean, the MIB as the smoke monster makes sense for some scenes. but then if you think back on past episodes of where the smoke monster is, who its killed, who its judged etc

ya, its just there are so many places they can go with it.

so to me, I just love the ride and the questions they leave me with each week. I'm not one to need the answers immediately, i'll take what i can get.

Let us just hope that it isn't his 'pet'. Because if they have the MIB(or in locke's body) riding ithe smoke monster, I wont be able to watch the series finale.

Do you think he is trapped in Locke's form? Or can he just transform at will?

30mn2oh.jpg

Thanks to Shimmra! Hahahahhha

[quote name='javeryh']Juliet is alive! When she "died" in the hatch she mentioned going out for coffee - this was her alternate universe self talking to Sawyer! It might also explain Charlotte's ramblings about chocolate right before she died due to the time traveling but that might be a stretch.[/QUOTE]

I think thats a great theory. The whole show could end with them sinking the island and killing everone. Some how everyone on the island is in some limbo "lost" in time. And the only way to get back into the "real" world is to die. It would make sense also in how Hurly and Myles communicate with the dead. The people they talk to arn't really dead but alternate versions of them. Ben him self dead is dead there is no coming back. Everyone who has died in the lost universe is actually alive in the "alternate" universe that I feel will revealed to be the "real" universe.

In that way when Jack was getting everyone killed all these seasons he actually was doing his real wish of getting everyone home, he just never realized it.

Solid premiere. Not sure what I think of the alternate universe stuff--was kind of hoping they'd get away from that kind of stuff and focus the story with everyone on the island, in the present time this season to wrap up all loose ends.

But we'll see where it goes.

SPOILERS

Some questions for everyone: Do you all want cut and dried answers to as many mysteries as possible? I hate to say it but so much of the great fun with this show has always been the unknown behind a lot on the island I just wonder how many of you might feel truly let down when we arrive at long coming answers? I guess I just hope even with the show ending it retains some element of mystique or ambiguity that'll keep me thinking long after it ends it's run.

Questions to me that are the most important:

Now that we know Unlocke is Smokey, was the man in black on the beach just another form of an islander the monster inhabited? The drawings of Anubis conjuring forth the monster would seem to predate the discussion between Jacob and the man in black. The smoke monster wants to kill all island newbies to protect it because he thinks that's all they ever do? Does going home mean going to the temple, hence the barricading of doors and laying of ashes? How has Jacob protected the island the smoke monster could never enter before, only protect?

Anyone wonder if there are weird paradoxes or things that will be explained in the alternate timeline? If there is no island why would Locke come to Australia in the first place? Was desmond really on the plane, he could be considering the island is underwater and not able to be crashed upon on his race around the world. Did Hurley actually play the numbers to win the lottery if there was no island to possibly broadcast them so his friend at the psychiatric hospital would have never heard and repeated them?

What do you all think of the alternate timeline? When I was theorizing they might do something like this I worried that the off island stuff would be as uninteresting as it was in season five simply in comparison to the happenings on the island. So far it's been a great dynamic to once again remember how screwed up some of these characters were before crashing at all, and now to see them interact without the island is just...damn...six seasons and they still find ways to make fresh and exciting possibilities. Good God!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey DKR, if youre going to post spoilers please use the spoiler tags, just a preface. that being said, since youre discussing last weeks episode dont worry about spoilers. ;)

and yes, i think the whole point of the alternate timeline is to show two things, 1. something is wrong with that timeline and that people cant avoid their destiny (i bet well see a lot of losties meeting and interacting in the alternate timeline).

and also, the alternate timeline is going to be around for awhile, at least according to an interview someone posted earlier, so yeah...

Yeah I figured the alternate timeline would be a mainstain the rest of the season, taking place of the flashbacks/flashforwards/off island stuff from past seasons.

It's an interesting concept, I just again hope it doesn't take away from giving a satisfactory resolution to th island story, answering the big questions and giving the show a satisfactory conclusion. But that's why I've held off on buying the blu rays after ditching my Seasons 1-3 DVDs as I won't want to own it if I'm not happy with the ending since it's a serial drama.

[quote name='dmaull1114']It's an interesting concept, I just again hope it doesn't take away from giving a satisfactory resolution to th island story, answering the big questions and giving the show a satisfactory conclusion. [/QUOTE]

That is my biggest concern. I am hoping they have planned this well. If they fix the original story then leave us with questions in regards to the alter. timeline.

I think the finale will be one single event involving in the current timeline that changes the distant past enough to eliminate whatever butterfly effect gave everyone a reason to be on the plane in the first place.

kinda bored at work, but did miles ever read anyones last thoughts that was buried? I can't really think of any time that he did, maybe that was why he was so surprised it worked? also if thats the case it might have something to do with the fact that dharma/others always buried the deads bodies?

[quote name='perdition(troy']kinda bored at work, but did miles ever read anyones last thoughts that was buried? I can't really think of any time that he did, maybe that was why he was so surprised it worked? also if thats the case it might have something to do with the fact that dharma/others always buried the deads bodies?[/QUOTE]
He wasn't surprised that he managed to read her mind, the "it" he was referring to was the fact that the hydrogen bomb detonation worked.

bread's done
Back