Madden 10 League-OFFICIAL CAG LEAGUE (Tournament)- LOTS OF TEAMS AVAILABLE!

I'm sure we already have a majority, but I vote yes on trades. I also think the fantasy draft would be fun, but I don't really care that much.

Seen sent me these rules. For the most part I think they are fucking stupid and prevent people from doing pretty much anything. However, if you disagree please let me know, and maybe we can enforce these somehow:

THE FOLLOWING WORDS AREN'T MINE:

This is a simulation Madden Football League. We accept no BS-Style play. No 'cheese' 'gimmicks' 'exploits' etc. You will be removed if you resort to these tactics.

Treat ALL League Owners with respect. Do not cuss out fellow league owners and do not chat excessively during game play, especially if your opponent is not responding. We do not need a 3rd commentator in the booth...Yes, it is a video game and we all realize occasionally odd things happen in our favor and against our favor...Nobody needs your reminders or point of views..play the game!

Subs: Make any subs before kickoff or at halftime - or burn a timeout if you need to make a change in the middle of a game. No BS Subs..WR at TE..or 90+ spd HB at FB..etc.etc..You know what is legit and not.

Offense: Mix your play calling. Do not quick snap your opponent, except for last second plays w/no time outs etc..let your opponent set his defense. You may not snap while players are in motion.

You can NOT manually zig zag your WR slow him up to interfere than release so he bursts to make the catch...complete cheese and gimmicks. You will be removed.

FOURTH DOWN - Quarters 1 - 3 you can only go for it on 4th down and 1 or less if you are on your opponents side of the 50 yard line. Quarter 4 your doing what you have to do on 4th down to win. You are no longer required to warn your opponent when going for it on 4th down or 2 point conversion, so defensively be aware of your opponents play-calling before assuming. Of course the rules still apply as to when you can go for it as mentioned above.​

Defense: You can not manually move any players in any situation. Mix your defensive play calling. You can not split the defensive line wide in any formations..You can shift left, right and in anytime - You can bring 8 in the box 1 time per four downs - at the 10 yard line and in - you can do it every play. Do not jam and blitz all game long. Call your defensive sets realistically. I.E. it's 3rd and long, your opponent calls a 4 WR set and you call your same 3-4 defense...get real..match up accordingly.​

MADDEN: - You Can NOT let the CPU run your plays - In other words - you can't snap the ball and then watch the CPU run your play automatically - If you want to watch the game instead of play - go join a coach only league! All plays must be run manually.

ETC: Of course it is impossible to list every situation that may come up in any given game. You are expected to understand fair and honest football and use good judgment at all times. Just because absolutely every possible flaw or exploit is not noted in the rules - that does not make it fair game...We will not tolerate ignorance as an excuse and for that matter.

^^Some of those rules are bunk^^

"You can bring 8 in the box 1 time per four downs"

What happens if my opponent wants to kill the clock and I need the ball back, I cant stuff the box to stop the run if I know thats what he is doing to run time?

"No BS Subs..WR at TE..or 90+ spd HB at FB..etc.etc"

Now I picked the Dolphins so I am screwed if the game didnt include any "Wildcat" packages for my offense?

[quote name='ajh2298']^^Some of those rules are bunk^^

"You can bring 8 in the box 1 time per four downs"

What happens if my opponent wants to kill the clock and I need the ball back, I cant stuff the box to stop the run if I know thats what he is doing to run time?

"No BS Subs..WR at TE..or 90+ spd HB at FB..etc.etc"

Now I picked the Dolphins so I am screwed if the game didnt include any "Wildcat" packages for my offense?[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I told seen they were "fucking insane" but he seemed to swear by them.

First off I got these from a current sim madden league(I did not write them); I believe they translate well to establish fair, fun game-play. I came up with these as a baseline as rules will ensure everyone plays fair and the purpose why I sent them to Azumangaman was to have an outline for us to work with.

There are supposed to be Wildcat formations in Madden 10 according to this inside EA article.

One could take out this sentence out "Call your defensive sets realistically. I.E. it's 3rd and long, your opponent calls a 4 WR set and you call your same 3-4 defense...get real..match up accordingly." I agree with you ajh2298 that you should be able to call whatever defense you want.

The rules are open to discussion, but this is a start.

My thoughts.

This entire write up is typically Sim Nazi bullshit and whoever made it is a typical sim nazi. Most of these are complete crap and as always with sim nazi so controlling that there is almost no point in even having a league, just reading this upsets me because I know how sim nazi hate fun of any kind.

You guys know me from last year, I played all my games and played in what I think was a extremely fair way. I had no complaints about the way anyone else played nor did I have any against me that I know of. Rules like this just angry the hell out of me.

This is a simulation Madden Football League. We accept no BS-Style play. No 'cheese' 'gimmicks' 'exploits' etc. You will be removed if you resort to these tactics.
This is starting out all wrong. There is no way to grade "cheese" and the fact that this is brought up in the first sentence is scary. The only thing worse than a cheeser is a fucking sim nazi. Cheesing by definition is so vague that its impossible to enforce. My view of cheesing and yours might me vastly different. With people thinking its cheese to pass more than 50% a game where do you draw the line?

We should just not be douche bags to each other while playing. If someone is really glitching we can make a case for it but there is no way to enforce something like cheesing so it should even be brought up.

Treat ALL League Owners with respect. Do not cuss out fellow league owners and do not chat excessively during game play, especially if your opponent is not responding. We do not need a 3rd commentator in the booth...Yes, it is a video game and we all realize occasionally odd things happen in our favor and against our favor...Nobody needs your reminders or point of views..play the game!
Again, these rules put me in a bad mood. Like I said before dont be a douche bag to everyone, you should be allowed to talk as much as you want beacuse the other person can always just mute you. If you cant take gentle razzing then you can keep your ass on your couch and talk to stuff animals. (If anyone remembers last year I never even used a mic but I dont want to control what people say if they choose to do so)

Subs: Make any subs before kickoff or at halftime - or burn a timeout if you need to make a change in the middle of a game. No BS Subs..WR at TE..or 90+ spd HB at FB..etc.etc..You know what is legit and not.
This is just stupid. We are running a CAG league not god damn Madden Nation. Make any subs you want within football reason at anytime you want. Yes, we know what is legit and whats not so there is no reason to make a rule dictacting what can be done.

Offense: Mix your play calling. Do not quick snap your opponent, except for last second plays w/no time outs etc..let your opponent set his defense. You may not snap while players are in motion.
I dont disagree with this rule but I hate to control the way other people play so I dont want it.

You can NOT manually zig zag your WR slow him up to interfere than release so he bursts to make the catch...complete cheese and gimmicks. You will be removed.
I agree with this one because its a glitch that is very obvious.

FOURTH DOWN - Quarters 1 - 3 you can only go for it on 4th down and 1 or less if you are on your opponents side of the 50 yard line. Quarter 4 your doing what you have to do on 4th down to win. You are no longer required to warn your opponent when going for it on 4th down or 2 point conversion, so defensively be aware of your opponents play-calling before assuming. Of course the rules still apply as to when you can go for it as mentioned above.
fuck that, I will do what I want whenever the hell I want. If I want to go for it on 4 and 56 I will. If you cant stop it then learn to play better. Stop trying to control how other people play.

Defense: You can not manually move any players in any situation. Mix your defensive play calling. You can not split the defensive line wide in any formations..You can shift left, right and in anytime - You can bring 8 in the box 1 time per four downs - at the 10 yard line and in - you can do it every play. Do not jam and blitz all game long. Call your defensive sets realistically. I.E. it's 3rd and long, your opponent calls a 4 WR set and you call your same 3-4 defense...get real..match up accordingly.
?????? Now you want to control what plays I call? :roll:

MADDEN: - You Can NOT let the CPU run your plays - In other words - you can't snap the ball and then watch the CPU run your play automatically - If you want to watch the game instead of play - go join a coach only league! All plays must be run manually.

How would you even know this? Why even bring this up when there is almost no way to prove that this is occuring?

.We will not tolerate ignorance as an excuse and for that matter fun.

Yeah, I got that.

Quick version. All of those rules are typically sim nazi bullshit and should be treated as such. I am sorry to sound harsh but I fucking hate sim nazi. Fun > Your bullshit made up sim rules that vary from person to person

Thats way to much thinking just for a game of madden, seen. I respect your opinion, but we aren't some gamefaqs community. Respecting your opponent is great, but don't control how they play the game. I would bet that 99% of us on these forums play straight up anyway.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts guys. I feel the same way. I just wanted to put them up to see if I was crazy or not by hating them.
Oh, and ItlnStln is back to take the Lions :)

People should play however they want to play... obviously there is a difference between "cheating" and being "cheap."

If someone wants to be "cheap" so be it, who cares, that's how they want to play. So many restrictions though will just lead to boringness and alot of people dropping out.

I played in a league with rules similar to these and it actually worked out quite well. Didn't have to worry about cheesers and it was straight up football.

I don't think anyone cheeses/plays unfairly, so I don't think it would be a problem anyways. The only problem I had with last year's league was those stupid QB sneaks (in which you had to audible to a FG block to have a decent chance at stopping), but they're fixed in this Madden.. sorta.

Sodmeg, I hear some of your points, but others I don’t agree.

Subs – “[FONT=&quot]This is just stupid. We are running a CAG league not god damn Madden Nation. Make any subs you want within football reason at anytime you want. Yes, we know what is legit and whats not so there is no reason to make a rule dictacting what can be done.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*If we know what is legit and what isn’t, then there should be no problem with a rule re-enforcing it so it is not exploited.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Offense – “I dont disagree with this rule but I hate to control the way other people play so I dont want it.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*While it’s nice that you claim the intent is to control, you are wrong as it to ensure a fair game. Quick snapping before giving your opponent a few seconds to setup their defense (a huge part of football) is cheap and like the zig zag WR glitch, snapping with players in motion on a pass play produces the same results.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Fourth Down – “fuckthat, I will do what I want whenever the hell I want. If I want to go for it on 4 and 56 I will. If you cant stop it then learn to play better. Stop trying to control how other people play.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] *I personally don’t think it is unreasonable as people who tend to go for 4 & 30’s, etc. end up quitting the league after they lose a few.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] MADDEN – “How would you even know this? Why even bring this up when there is almost no way to prove that this is occuring?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] *I think it is fairly easy to tell when someone is actually playing vs. letting the CPU do the work.[/FONT]

If the verbiage is the issue you have with some of these rules I can re-write them. Also the point of these rules is not to be a dictator and enforce all of this; it is to ensure the new CAGs, etc. play at the same standard/level as everyone else.

I still fully 100% disagree.

All those rules do is strip away all creativity because sim nazis get all pissed when games dont play exactly how their completely random view of sim is. The league ran fine last year, our biggest problem was getting people to actually play their games not breaking rules.

The biggest thing for me seen is this. Its not the verbiage is the mentality behind it. Like all sim nazi rules it based on personal opinion of what someone feels is real football and assuming the actions of others. You want to trying to force people to all my exactly the same.

I dont want everyone to play the same, I want to see all the different styles and creative game plans. I dont care about cheap plays and crazy subs because I want to have fun. I like not knowing if my opponent will try to go for it on a 4th down to try to swing the game in their favor. I like seeing creative subs (as long as its not a exploit sub) to force me to rethink the way I play defense. I also like seeing creative defense that forcing me to run different plays. (as long as its not a nano blitz glitch)

[quote name='shinryuu']I don't think anyone cheeses/plays unfairly, so I don't think it would be a problem anyways. The only problem I had with last year's league was those stupid QB sneaks (in which you had to audible to a FG block to have a decent chance at stopping), but they're fixed in this Madden.. sorta.[/QUOTE]

This is what I am saying, I dont think anyone in this league even does anything bad but the rules stated were preventing even the slightest of creativity.

The league ran fine so why do we need rules that make it more restricted?

I also dont want post a print out on my tv to remember the 20 random rules we made up. I am with moonknight...its too much to remember for a game of madden.

Although the only thing I want is for use to turn off fight for the fumble because its a trash gimmick.

I'm not trying to take away creativity at all, I like differing games as well. In the end the things below outline what I think is reasonable, all the other stuff was just part of what I ripped. With the exception of the 4th down I think the subs and offense rules are nothing restrictive.

With the 4th down rule it is because I have played in many leagues and people who go for crazy 4th down plays don't end up staying long once they suffer a loss I've never observed otherwise.

Subs, while you may find it a challenge for people to move around players I really believe that is an exploit sub unless it is within reason. Example, safeties and corners, also moving around o-linemen around the o-line, same on the d-line plus moving LB's around; I really don't consider it being creative putting a hb at wr or vice versa more like exploiting the game because you felt the team wasn't good enough.
Offense - I've pretty much said why I feel that way. Is it really an issue to give the defense a few seconds to shift?

Defense - Moving players before the snap causes mis-matches and holes that the cpu won't compensate for, hence the no manual moving before the snap.

Clearly we are just on two different pages, no disrespect to you but my brain just explodes when you say something like, "I really don't consider it being creative putting a hb at wr or vice versa." I think Brian Westbrook and Reggie Bush would have something say about HB has WR since they play that pretty often. Hell they move Bush all around the field trying to get him the ball.

If I have Matt Forte who caught something like 63 passes last year but my opponent is stuffing the standard out of the backfield pass to him you are preventing me from creatively finding a way to get my superstar the ball. If that is not working I might want to line him up in the slot to see if that works. By your rules that is illegal although its fully legal and practiced all the time in the NFL.

If my best coverage players is a FS and I see that your best WR is not a deep threat I might want to bring my FS down to play corner which is also illegal in your rules.

Defense shifts are never a problem for me as long as its not shifting into a nano blitz. Sometimes a manual shift is required to make sure you players actually cover the part of the field they are suppose to.

Just the bottom line is that I want more creative not less and these rules clearly restrict standard NFL plays and tactics. We most likely will never agree.

Add me to the list of people who don't want to implement any of these rules. If anything surfaces as a particular problem over the course of the season, I don't see why we can't address it when it comes up.

So negative, and I thought we were having a discussion...

I hear you on the "slot back"(reggie bush) I believe there is an on-the-fly (while on the play selection screen) to toggle for situations like this; again my thinking is while Bush is a slot back, he shouldn't be the teams second WR for example on the depth chart, thats my point.

You may have mis-understood me, Safeties and CB's are interchangeable in my book.

IvanHood, so we should treat things like the government and let them get worse instead of preventing them? If the majority shares your feeling fine, but rules are normally around to prevent chaos or disorder...

I say keep these rules and forget the rest:

FOURTH DOWN - Quarters 1 - 3 you can only go for it on 4th down and 1 or less if you are on your opponents side of the 50 yard line. Quarter 4 your doing what you have to do on 4th down to win. You are no longer required to warn your opponent when going for it on 4th down or 2 point conversion, so defensively be aware of your opponents play-calling before assuming. Of course the rules still apply as to when you can go for it as mentioned above.

Soodmeg, I wouldn't worry about it. SEEN wasn't in the league last year and while I fully appreciate him trying to help is clearly unaware of the caliber of people on this site.
I just posted those rules to see opinions.
None are going to be set.

I agree with Matt, the purpose of the rules are not to bash any of the dedicated, fair-playing CAG's. It is to make sure the games are played by everyone (all 32 of us) in a timely fashion, fairly, and most importantly respectfully so hopefully no conflicts arise.

If we can't all keep that together then what makes us different in the end from a bunch of people on a random Madden XBL league?

I am sorry some of you dedicated guys who have played last season don't like me coming in with all my ideas with this and that. Last season if there was issue getting everyone to finish would a possible change be possibly a good thing? I'm not trying to stir anything up, I want the best for this league and would like to see 80% of the people from the beginning finish.

Anyone else in the league who hasn't voiced their opinions on those ideas for rules, please do!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
only main prob i have is the defense rules. offensive rules a little i dont really call a hurry up thing but if ppl play like that i can adjust according soo whatever. all the other rules i dont really mind i understand it is just to prevent exploits so in a way i agree

Not some of my finer work on a logo, if anyone wants the template to make a better one, I'd be happy to email it.

try.jpg

IMO those posted rules are straight up whack. Besides, everyone that I've ever played with/against from CAG have been awesome about being legit in any game we end up playing. No need to make this a "Hardcore Sim League" A big part of madden is a players skill on the sticks and their own playstyle-- rules like this aim to make everyone play like a robot!

Also, I am going to bring this up again. Can we take a vote on turning off the Fight for the Fumble gimmick? Thoughts?

As I've said before, the purpose of the rules are not to bash any of the dedicated, fair-playing CAG's. It is to make sure the games are played by everyone (all 32 of us) in a timely fashion, fairly, and most importantly respectfully so hopefully no conflicts arise.

Soodmeg, I agree that the dog pile mini-game doesn't require any football strategy at all.

From the responses to the rules so far it appears divided between those posting (the problem is that only accounts for 1/3 of the league). The rules are to keep everyone honest, and these rules do not prevent anyone from being creative. (I added the zig-zag rule to Matt's quote).

[quote name='Matt Young']I say keep these rules and forget the rest:

Offense: Mix your play calling. Do not quick snap your opponent, except for last second plays w/no time outs etc..let your opponent set his defense. You may not snap while players are in motion. You can NOT manually zig zag your WR slow him up to interfere than release so he bursts to make the catch.

FOURTH DOWN - Quarters 1 - 3 you can only go for it on 4th down and 1 or less if you are on your opponents side of the 50 yard line. Quarter 4 your doing what you have to do on 4th down to win. You are no longer required to warn your opponent when going for it on 4th down or 2 point conversion, so defensively be aware of your opponents play-calling before assuming. Of course the rules still apply as to when you can go for it as mentioned above.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='popemogoth']This season should be intresting just hope it wont be all crumbled like last year. good luck guys![/QUOTE]

Yeah, we had some great games (you and I, as well as in general) but I ended up missing out because I couldn't get half my opponents to play with me.

I was out of town for a couple of days, here's my take on the rules. I always play sim style, even against the computer, so I'm for a reasonable set of rules in that regard. With that said, some of that stuff is ridiculous.

Subs: I think if happens in a real NFL game, go for it. If not, forget about it.

4th Down: I like this setup and think it should be given the go ahead.

Defense: I agree that you should not be able to spread wide the D-line (manually or otherwise). Unless they fixed it this year (doubt it), defensive line spreading provides an absurdly unrealistic advantage due to broken AI blocking. Shifting left, right or pinching should still be allowed. The rest though is just absurd. Here's what one of my leagues last year used that worked out very well for us and I think is appropriate for here. You are allowed to manually move one player presnap. It prevents absurd defense manipulation/stacking/etc. but still allows you to setup your D in a way that will be effective. The truth is, if a team is being one dimensional and running all the time, they SHOULD be punished by having to face 8 men in the box. Every play if need be. The risk of being beat over the top by a pass is enough to curb doing it too much, not some foolish once every four downs rule.

I for the life of me can not think of a single reason why people want to ban 4th down attempts so much. Is no one else here actually confident in their defense? If I think I can convert a 4th down I will go for it....its your job to put me in a position that warrants a punt, I dont see why we are gifting possession to each other.

If someone thinks they can convert a 4th on me I am all for it and I will send a thank you card for the good field position after I stuff it. I dont need a rule that forces you to give me the ball, no thank you, I will earn my possession with my defensive stick skill.

Like someone said earlier there is a big difference between being cheap and cheating. No one in the league player stacks so there is no reason to make a rule that prevent people from creating legit plays.

EDIT:

We are just going to have to have a solid vote about this.

The thing about enforcing these rules is, no one plays like that in this league. Unless someone does, it would be easy to report it and then we can evaluate what to do. The 4th down thing, yeah, you'll see people go for it EVERY 4th down in the Madden lobbies, but here I think it'd be really situational. If I'm on a long drive but get stopped in the red zone, 4th and 5... don't tell me I have to kick a FG. Personally, I would kick a FG, but I know others would go for it and if I was on defense I'd probably stop them. :)lol:)

The defense thing: I don't really know the issue at hand, so I don't really have a solid opinion on it. I don't remember anyone abusing defensive formations last year, so I wouldn't bother enforcing this either.

Subs: I guess... doesn't annoy me that much. I think it's cool.

Just make the first week a trial week. Any complaints afterward, we can evaluate then. No need to have this list of rules and have people feeling restricted.

Fight for fumble, I don't care. I don't hate it as much as Soodmeg, but I don't love it either. So... really up to whoever.

Fight for the fumble can be discussed. I never had it happen in the demo, and its unknown as to whether it can be removed anyway.
How about this for the "rules".
NONE ARE GOING TO BE ENFORCED.

All of them are silly, and CAG folk don't exploit.
Things like treating others with respect are just obvious.
Hooray!

By having rules it will make for less conflict since both parties playing will know what is expected instead of some varying scale. It really is a pain to have to deal with complaints (or people dropping out) when it can be prevented with simple rules.

Also the subs argument, Soodmeg is ridiculous. Stopping whenever you feel fit to adjust subs, that really messes up the flow of the game. You want to have the option to create unrealistic mis-matches that would never ever happen so I don't understand your justification...And 4th down in football in case you've never seen a real game they do punt, on occasion go for it ok all the time get real; it is annoying when someone goes for it every 4th down..

On offense why can't you wait 2 seconds and give your opponent a moment to setup like happens in football? Further, what is your issue with respecting others rule?

[quote name='seen']You misread the rule, "Quarters 1 - 3 you can only go for it on 4th down and 1 or less if you are on your opponents side of the 50 yard line."

By having rules it will make for less conflict since both parties playing will know what is expected instead of some varying scale. It really is a pain to have to deal with complaints (or people dropping out) when it can be prevented with simple rules.

Also the subs argument, Soodmeg is ridiculous. You want to have the option to create unrealistic mis-matches that would never ever happen so I don't understand your justification...And 4th down in football in case you've never seen a real game they do punt, on occasion go for it ok all the time get real; it is annoying when someone goes for it every 4th down..[/QUOTE]

I guess I did misread it... whoops.

I feel that we don't need the rules right now when no one has even played a game. Many of us have played in last year's league and it was ran fine without rules. Could we have used some rules? Perhaps. I realized I don't have a problem with the rules after you said I misread it, though, I think it's pretty much an unwritten code of conduct/rule. So whether you list it or not, I think most of us know the boundaries. No one here goes for it every 4th down... like I said before, you'll find that in the Madden lobbies but not here.

You're going to get complaints either way, so, again, make the first week a trial week. See how everything goes and then make adjustments. I bet in the end, none of this will matter. :roll: And people always drop/don't play their games, so I wouldn't be surprised. Not sure how its a "pain to deal with complaints." Even though you and Azu are co-LMs, it's not like you're personally have to fix everything... it's a group effort. =D

No offense to seen, who I like, but why does it seem like he never reads Azu's posts before making his own?

Also, fuck all of you who are playing the demo, LOL. I have 200-odd MB of HD space even after deleting the non-essentials. My 120GB unit can't get here quickly enough.

[quote name='Matt Young']No offense to seen, who I like, but why does it seem like he never reads Azu's posts before making his own?
[/QUOTE]

It appears that way because I sometimes take a while before I click submit when replying thus missing the posts in between.

Shinryuu said it best.

[quote name='shinryuu']You're going to get complaints either way, so, again, make the first week a trial week. See how everything goes and then make adjustments. I bet in the end, none of this will matter. :roll: And people always drop/don't play their games, so I wouldn't be surprised. Not sure how its a "pain to deal with complaints." Even though you and Azu are co-LMs, it's not like you're personally have to fix everything... it's a group effort. =D[/quote]

I completely agree.

I didn't even know the demo came out already! I'll be sure to download it tonight to play a little. What is this fight for the fumble feature, haven't heard anything about that.

[quote name='seen']By having rules it will make for less conflict since both parties playing will know what is expected instead of some varying scale. It really is a pain to have to deal with complaints (or people dropping out) when it can be prevented with simple rules.

Also the subs argument, Soodmeg is ridiculous. Stopping whenever you feel fit to adjust subs, that really messes up the flow of the game. You want to have the option to create unrealistic mis-matches that would never ever happen so I don't understand your justification...And 4th down in football in case you've never seen a real game they do punt, on occasion go for it ok all the time get real; it is annoying when someone goes for it every 4th down..

On offense why can't you wait 2 seconds and give your opponent a moment to setup like happens in football? Further, what is your issue with respecting others rule?[/QUOTE]

Azu I know you are not enforcing any of these but I am just disusing now since the game is not out and there really isnt anything else to talk about.

First off seen, please do not question my football knowledge. Especially after saying something as ludicrous has, "I dont think its creativity to put a HB at WR." (apparently dual threat RB dont exist....Bush, Westrbook) Since you are going with personal attack this will be my last statement on the matter.

This is my exact problem with your rules seen. You are assuming everyone is going to take it to the max. You assuming that I am going to pause the game every other down and put in crazy subs that cheat all game.I never planned to make 40 subs a game but I dont want a rule preventing me from making 4 if I think it will help.

Like Shin said this isnt a gamefaq quick league. The rules that you posted are completely vague and so general that they take away legitimate tactics that some people use including real NFL coaches. I dont have a problem following rules, I have a problem following stupid rules made from someone personal opinion on what football means to them.

And again, I never said I was going to go for it on every 4th down you assume that. All I said was that there should be no rule that makes me give you the ball. If its 4 and 10 I am going to punt but I will go for as many 4 and 1 as I so please and I would like my opponent to be able to do so as well.

My final statement on it will be this. Your rules are set up to prevent a cheater that doesnt yet exist here on CAG. But the rules are so vague and general that they disallow very common NFL tactics and strategy. You say you are trying to prevent people from making 100 subs which is fine but you are also prevent people from making 4 subs under the same rule.

I can say we should be allowed to make as many subs as we want because I played in the league last year and never seen anyone cheat so I trust them enough to make good decisions and not cheat. You seem to be projecting past league experience onto us while never actually playing any of us.

The funny thing is, I pretty much follow all the rules you posted any way out of common sense and good sportsmanship (expect I kick FG at the end of games :lol:) but I am fully against making official rules that force people to play a certain way.

there's no reason to attack each other but seen like yourself, I was not in the league last year so I have no clue as to how people play and how things were run last year but from the majority of the people who came back this season from last season it seems everything went smoothly except for getting everyone to play their games on a consistent basis.

We should be more worried about setting up some kind of system or schedule which will allow people to complete games in a somewhat timely fashion than worry about rules on gameplay. If the moment comes up where we need to fix a certain gameplay rule it should be handled then but there's no need to fix what ain't broke, in my opinion.

cmart05: I'm thinking of doing set Madden "game nights". As in, a Thursday at 9EST.
Obviously games could be played at any time, but I think it would be cool to have a few "OFFICIAL" times that people could plan around.

And shinryuu, seen isn't a co LM :)
I'm possessive, what can I say?

And sood, you won last year, discuss as you like :D

Soodmeg, I've put my response to your last posting in a spoiler since you apparently don't always read my posts anyway and I don't want to bore others.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Azu I know you are not enforcing any of these but I am just disusing now since the game is not out and there really isnt anything else to talk about.

First off seen, please do not question my football knowledge. Especially after saying something as ludicrous has, "I dont think its creativity to put a HB at WR." (apparently dual threat RB dont exist....Bush, Westrbook) Since you are going with personal attack this will be my last statement on the matter.[/QUOTE]

*You apparently don't read all my posts; I previously acknowledged that I know that Bush is a "slot back", there is a on the fly sub option to put your hb in certain situations. Again if your doing this as you've said you intend to, it is unreasonable to put Bush as your 1st or 2nd WR. The rule is also because pausing messes up the game flow, you should make all your changes before the game begins, at a timeout, or half time; anything else screams poor-sport as no one likes to wait for an opponent in the middle of a drive.

This is my exact problem with your rules seen. You are assuming everyone is going to take it to the max. You assuming that I am going to pause the game every other down and put in crazy subs that cheat all game.I never planned to make 40 subs a game but I dont want a rule preventing me from making 4 if I think it will help.
*Again, you don't read and it is frustrating to try and have a discussion with someone who apparently doesn't read. I said many a time already in this thread:

[quote name='seen']the purpose of the rules are not to bash any of the dedicated, fair-playing CAG's. It is to make sure the games are played by everyone (all 32 of us) in a timely fashion, fairly, and most importantly respectfully so hopefully no conflicts arise."[/quote]

Like Shin said this isnt a gamefaq quick league. The rules that you posted are completely vague and so general that they take away legitimate tactics that some people use including real NFL coaches. I dont have a problem following rules, I have a problem following stupid rules made from someone personal opinion on what football means to them.
*Again, have you fully read any of my postings? We have discussed the rules already and half of the people actually participating in the (rules) discussion don't think they are completely vague.

And again, I never said I was going to go for it on every 4th down you assume that. All I said was that there should be no rule that makes me give you the ball. If its 4 and 10 I am going to punt but I will go for as many 4 and 1 as I so please and I would like my opponent to be able to do so as well.

My final statement on it will be this. Your rules are set up to prevent a cheater that doesnt yet exist here on CAG. But the rules are so vague and general that they disallow very common NFL tactics and strategy. You say you are trying to prevent people from making 100 subs which is fine but you are also prevent people from making 4 subs under the same rule.
*I think you wrote 2 more paragraphs after this.

I can say we should be allowed to make as many subs as we want because I played in the league last year and never seen anyone cheat so I trust them enough to make good decisions and not cheat. You seem to be projecting past league experience onto us while never actually playing any of us.
*So my opinion can't have any validity since you played here last season you must be a real pro and no everything to shoot everyone else down the way you do.

The funny thing is, I pretty much follow all the rules you posted any way out of common sense and good sportsmanship (expect I kick FG at the end of games :lol:) but I am fully against making official rules that force people to play a certain way.

*If you do they I really don't understand why you have made such a huge deal about it.

Last response about rules.

Ok seen you are not seeing what I am saying at all. I have read all of your post but you are not getting what I am saying.

It doesnt really matter since barely anyone as agreed to any of them including Azu who ran the league last year. I guess I have a slight problem with someone who wasnt involved at all coming out of nowhere with a bunch of rules that for a lack of a better word...suck. Its not that your opinion doesnt matter but its not uncalled for to be skeptical of a person who 0 experience with the CAG madden league coming in with a whole bunch of changes. (Yes I read your post about not trying to stir things up)

A quick counts says out of the people who posted about the rules 9 disagree, 2 people including yourself agree and Matt Young, Chop Suey kinda floating in the middle. (Barring any double counting..I seriously just quickly looked at it)

I also have to note that most have included words like, ridiculous, fucking insane and bunk so clearly I am not the only one that sees these rules as crap. I am simply the most vocal about it. (Mostly because there really isnt anything else to talk about regarding the league.)

So, I call it even seen. Lets just both drop it, either we will vote later on these or stop bringing them up. Azu has clearly said he is not enforcing any of these so I have no further comment about them.

On to things that might actually help the league. I like your idea of a game night Azu, hopefully it will allow us to get a good portion of the games done quicker. The hardest part will be choosing a time and day that is best for majority of the players.

As others have said the biggest problem we had was finishing games in a timely manner. We really have to work o cutting out the weeks in between games. With Madden finally have a proper league there should be no reason why we can finish 2 or 3 season before the real like super bowl.

Maybe we should have so sort of time limit, say a week, after that week the game gets simmed. That way the game decides the winner and the league presses on without much stalling.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Maybe we should have so sort of time limit, say a week, after that week the game gets simmed. That way the game decides the winner and the league presses on without much stalling.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was thinking something along these lines. If I could sim games if people didn't play them, I'd be incredibly happy.

I think we'll have to make more decisions as a group/me making some as we learn more about online leagues. From the few trailer/intro things I've seen, they look phenomenal. I LOVE the internet/ipod interaction. It'll make everyones life easier.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

On to things that might actually help the league. I like your idea of a game night Azu, hopefully it will allow us to get a good portion of the games done quicker. The hardest part will be choosing a time and day that is best for majority of the players.

As others have said the biggest problem we had was finishing games in a timely manner. We really have to work o cutting out the weeks in between games. With Madden finally have a proper league there should be no reason why we can finish 2 or 3 season before the real like super bowl.

Maybe we should have so sort of time limit, say a week, after that week the game gets simmed. That way the game decides the winner and the league presses on without much stalling.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Game Night would be good. I think it makes things easier for everyone because they know they will also have a game scheduled around a certain time so they can plan accordingly but like sood said it's going to be tough deciding on a time, especially for those PST folks. We have to make it where it's not to late for EST and not to early for PST so maybe we can come to some consensus vote on that.

I also agree that if the capability of a certain match-up can be simmed it should be done, but, I think that it's unfair if one person is able to make a match and the person can not, the match is simmed and the person that did show up loses. So we'll see about that.

I'm sure most of you have read this, if not, here's a link

http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=online franchise 1

it's more or less a summary of the majority of the options with online franchise.

I agree with the gamenight and disagree with the hardcore rules. 9 pm EST seems to be a legit time for Thursday night, but depending on what timezone is playing who I'm sure just around there (8pm-11pm EST) would work out nicely.

As far as the rules go, I agree that playing people that ALWAYS go for it on 4th regardless of the field position is annoying, but I think it would be better off to just have a 'gentleman's agreement' on playing 'legit' and if it develops into a real issue during the season we can address it here.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Reading that Q&A makes me very happy.
This is going to be excellent![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I especially love the fact that they set it up where they can constantly update the online mode as need be and it looks like they will be listening to community feedback.

Hmmm. After reading that, looks like the whole free agency thing may be a bit complicated depending on how we do it. For those who don't feel like reading, here's brief example:

Ronnie Brown is in his final year this upcoming season with the Dolphins, but in the online franchise, he will be on your team till he retires or is traded. Depending on how the commish (Azu) decides to do this, we can either leave it at be, meaning the free agency will stay the same with whats already there plus the undrafted players. OR, Azu can manually set some house rules. He can manually drop FAs after the last year in their contract (sounds complicated and you'd have to make an order of waiver claims, or else it'll be the default first come, first serve), or do some other house rules. I think the Q&A gave a good example: each team drops 5 players with a 70+ OVR rating.

Of course, we won't actually approach the problem until after the first season is done. It's something to think about down the road, though.

As for when to play the games, I think we got it right. Set a "gamenight" as a standard, but as a rule of thumb your game should be finished weekly or else your game gets simmed. And just to make sure people are active, they should respond (weekly?) so we know who and who not to kick (person might be on vacation or 360 RR'd).

Another thing about the fight for the fumble or whatever it's called, I'm kinda in between after reading what someone said on OS. Said something like remember in older Maddens where there would be a fumble and people would try and grab it and miss, or it would be kicked around constantly among linemen, or, when it somehow gets sucked into a RBs hand when he was down and out? If fight for the fumble typically favors whoever was closest to it, I wouldn't have a problem. That and it seems to be inconsistent as to when to actually use the feature and not, because sometimes it pops up when it looks your player can pick it up easily.

I don't know... I guess we'll have to see how it performs in the final version.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Can we take a vote on turning off the Fight for the Fumble gimmick? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Whoa, we actually can agree on something :D! This mini-game does not take the game situations into consideration, which is an issue. I saw a video on youtube of someone showing how it is flawed; via replay his player is on top of the ball but loses the mini-game easily.

On to other news OS just posted a bunch of screens for the online franchise, and I must say it looks promising as a lot can be managed over the internet instead of the console making customizing and management easier.

Madden 10 Online Franchise Web Management Tool Screen-shots

bread's done
Back