Madden 12 League-OFFICIAL CAG LEAGUE-Week 3 live. Deadline Monday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='VeryCheapGame']If I was leading going into the 4th I wouldn't be quite happy about "restarting" 0-0 when leading 14-0. I think you guys should have just restart the game and played how many quarter you guys had left. If you had one quarter left just play till 2nd quarter. That would be my ideal solution should somebody gets D/C.[/QUOTE]

Any game which isn't out of hand when it disconnects should always be restarted, unless there's like no time left. 14-3 in the third quarter should absolutely be a restart. Looks like that's what's happening, so we're good.

[quote name='UrAllVirgins']I'd like to be added to the waiting list.

GT: FatalKiller X

I'd like the Chargers if possible, but not a deal breaker.

Fantasy Draft or Regular teams are ok.[/QUOTE]

A few threads down we've also spun off a fantasy draft league. If you've got time for two leagues you should join it as well.

How about the Bengals this season? 5-2 is pretty impressive there. Though I did notice they're yet to play either the Steelers or Ravens, so we'll see if they can hang in there in such a tough division.

[quote name='jza1218']Texans pound Jaguars 38-7. In related news, I suck at this game.[/QUOTE]

Just keep at it and you'll improve. This is a really tough league, no shame in getting whooped from time to time. But you can also learn a lot playing against some of these guys, I know I have. :D

Overlooked game of last week.

Giants 21 Bills 20

Bills go for 2 at the end of the game and fail to convert. Where was the write up for this one!

[quote name='bvharris']How about the Bengals this season? 5-2 is pretty impressive there. Though I did notice they're yet to play either the Steelers or Ravens, so we'll see if they can hang in there in such a tough division.[/QUOTE]

The guy is good but I got annoyed with scooting guys over to block XPs, moving guys further out to try to block the punts along with some stuff on Offense that was borderline cheese.

Like I said in the short write up, none of it made me lose but it was still lame and made me lose some respect for the team.

[quote name='staticz']The guy is good but I got annoyed with scooting guys over to block XPs, moving guys further out to try to block the punts along with some stuff on Offense that was borderline cheese.

Like I said in the short write up, none of it made me lose but it was still lame and made me lose some respect for the team.[/QUOTE]

Wow, there are people who actually try to block kicks in this league? That part of the game is so broken, I don't even bother with it. I usually run my furthest guy back into the stands on FG's just because it's hilarious to see them disappear. I don't even know how anybody could feel like they "legitimately" blocked a kick when 99% of the time it results from a speed boost or a lineman not picking up a block at all. How are QB Sneaks banned, but blocking kicks isn't (especially if you're moving players around to do it)?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow, there are people who actually try to block kicks in this league? That part of the game is so broken, I don't even bother with it. I usually run my furthest guy back into the stands on FG's just because it's hilarious to see them disappear. I don't even know how anybody could feel like they "legitimately" blocked a kick when 99% of the time it results from a speed boost or a lineman not picking up a block at all. How are QB Sneaks banned, but blocking kicks isn't (especially if you're moving players around to do it)?[/QUOTE]

Depends on how it's being done. The legit way is guesswork on the timing. The cheese way which works pretty much every time, is the hesitant jump movement on the edge of the line. I've yet to see it in this league.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']If people think somebody is cheesing just save some replays. You have credibility plus proof.[/QUOTE]

Yep this works too

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']If people think somebody is cheesing just save some replays. You have credibility plus proof.[/QUOTE]

I don't care, nor was I asking for a punishment. He was given a compliment and I simply wanted everyone to know what the deal was, plus I gave him one of those wins (I had to sub as Cincy) :cool:

[quote name='Doomtime']Depends on how it's being done. The legit way is guesswork on the timing. The cheese way which works pretty much every time, is the hesitant jump movement on the edge of the line. I've yet to see it in this league.[/QUOTE]

Nor have I. I actually blocked a kick against Zurezo this week, but I had nothing to do with it (I've never manually blocked a kick in Madden, I don't even try). If anyone thought someone was getting the cheese blocks in this league, I'd like to know about it. (I'm not sure if that's what staticz was suggesting was being done by the Bengals)

He didn't get a block. The way you can do it is to edge your furthest defender as close as possible to the next furthest guy, then you speed boost and if you can time the dive right you'll block it everytime.

The Bengles owner tried it once but it is pretty easy to disrupt the timing (just don't snap the ball right away).

[quote name='Doomtime']Still intrigued by our clash in week 11 bv, top ranked offense vs the top ranked defense.[/QUOTE]

Can't look ahead yet, I've got to go through the Giants and the Jets first. Getting the win over Pitt was huge for me, since even if I lose these next three (very possible) I'd still come out of the toughest stretch of my schedule 6-4.

[quote name='Doomtime']Overlooked game of last week.

Giants 21 Bills 20

Bills go for 2 at the end of the game and fail to convert. Where was the write up for this one![/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a crazy game. I hadn't eaten anything in like 12 hours by the end of it though, so I immediately went to go grab some food so I wouldn't pass out, instead of doing a proper write up for it. I sniffed out the run and had a clutch user tackle on the potential game winning two-point attempt to hang on.

Giants/Dolphins game just finished up, I believe there are only two left now.

Week 8: Dolphins @ Giants

Giants: 38
Dolphins: 10

Miami's Defense: 4 Sacks, 1 Interception
Miami's Offense: 136 Yards Passing/ 51 Yards Rushing, 1 TD

Giants Defense: 1 Interceptions, 3 Sacks
Giants Offense: 135 Yards Passing, 2 TD / 184 Rushing Yards,3 TD

GG BigAT

[quote name='BigAT']Yeah, that was a crazy game. I hadn't eaten anything in like 12 hours by the end of it though, so I immediately went to go grab some food so I wouldn't pass out, instead of doing a proper write up for it. I sniffed out the run and had a clutch user tackle on the potential game winning two-point attempt to hang on.
[/QUOTE]

Gotta love the gusto of the Bills going for two there against an undefeated team. They've been in most of their games this year, definitely much better than the record indicates.

Next week's Pats-Giants matchup should be very intriguing.

Top two scoring defenses in the league: Pats 8.3ppg, Giants 9.9ppg. Giants have the top D in terms of yards with 132.7ypg, Pats third at 196. Also the only two defenses to keep the opponents under 100 passing ypg.

So of course it'll probably end up 30-27. :D

So we all know Colts-Titans is being replayed tomorrow, what's up with Rams-Saints? I've seen ballhawk in here from time to time, but it doesn't look like they've connected with each other at all. Have PMs been exchanged?

[quote name='ubernes']So we all know Colts-Titans is being replayed tomorrow, what's up with Rams-Saints? I've seen ballhawk in here from time to time, but it doesn't look like they've connected with each other at all. Have PMs been exchanged?[/QUOTE]

We can use this as an object lesson in why it's approximately 10,000 times better to use PMs:

[quote name='ballhawk20']Is anyone the owner of the rams an when can u play??[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lyric706']ballhawk20: I can go tonight if you want! PM me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ballhawk20']Rams owner when can u playy????[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you guys have connected yet or not, but you seem to keep missing each other by posting in the thread.

For everyone: Probably the easiest way to get your game scheduled every week is to see who you're playing and PM them once we advance (or even before). That way there won't be any confusion or chance of the message not getting through. This thread moves pretty fast at times, and not everyone checks it as obsessively as I do. PMs will always find their intended audience. For the most part, everyone's been fantastic about playing their games, but remember: PMing one another is always the best course. :D

And not to single out Lyric here, but he's just giving me the most convenient example: Don't just say "PM me!" in the thread; be proactive and PM them! ;)

Speaking of PMs...I already PMed them both to get an update. If the other game knows when they are scheduled to play Monday, let us know.

I pm'ed Lyric for ballhawk but no response. Apparently ballhawk can only use his phone and it's a hassle to pm. Ballhawk has been on at least 6 times the past few days.

I have PMed Ballhawk several times. On CAG as well as through XBL. I try all three avenues just in case one is missed somehow. We are playing tag but should be able to find a time tomorrow.

Also, I usually am on XBL more, but I was away this weekend for a few shows (musician), so I haven't had much time. Pretty flexible tomorrow though. Just have to get to the DMV because my damn wallet was stolen today.

To clear the Bengals - I do use Pacman to try and block kicks(he's there, why not try and use him?), but it has nothing to do with counting or timing. I just move him over and when I see the snap I rush and dive. If I block - I block, If I miss it - I miss it. Nor sure if this is cheese...

[quote name='itlnstln']To clear the Bengals - I do use Pacman to try and block kicks(he's there, why not try and use him?), but it has nothing to do with counting or timing. I just move him over and when I see the snap I rush and dive. If I block - I block, If I miss it - I miss it. Nor sure if this is cheese...[/QUOTE]

I do this too... I don't always move the outside rusher over but I watch for the snap and go. I've actually gotten fairly good at anticipating the snap and thats usually when I get the block

I don't think it's cheese, since I see people trying to do that against me and no one's ever successfully blocked one. If it were cheesing, I have to think it would be more effective.

Maybe a good compromise would be to say it's fine to do that on FGs, but don't do it on extra points? The CPU blocking kicks combined with the occasional laggy XP introduce more than enough variance to make them realistic. I'm not making that a league rule at this point though, just a suggestion to try to make things a bit more fair. In reality, extra points are very rarely blocked.

[quote name='bvharris']I don't think it's cheese, since I see people trying to do that against me and no one's ever successfully blocked one. If it were cheesing, I have to think it would be more effective.

Maybe a good compromise would be to say it's fine to do that on FGs, but don't do it on extra points? The CPU blocking kicks combined with the occasional laggy XP introduce more than enough variance to make them realistic. I'm not making that a league rule at this point though, just a suggestion to try to make things a bit more fair. In reality, extra points are very rarely blocked.[/QUOTE]

I have a question , If I am playing an opponent and he blocks 2 or more field goals, basically this shows me he will probably block my next one, and it is 4th and maybe 3 or 4 yards, would it be to farfetched to say that a NFL coach would probably go for it since the teams special teams clearly can't hold up ?

[quote name='bvharris']I don't think it's cheese, since I see people trying to do that against me and no one's ever successfully blocked one. If it were cheesing, I have to think it would be more effective.

Maybe a good compromise would be to say it's fine to do that on FGs, but don't do it on extra points? The CPU blocking kicks combined with the occasional laggy XP introduce more than enough variance to make them realistic. I'm not making that a league rule at this point though, just a suggestion to try to make things a bit more fair. In reality, extra points are very rarely blocked.[/QUOTE]

Are we saying that nudging the furthest defender closer is OK then?

Like I said, Cincy would've beat me either way, so I'm kinda in the same boat you are in, no harm no foul. But I think if a gamecomes down to a FG and it gets blocked because guys are moving players around....

[quote name='lyric706']Also, I usually am on XBL more, but I was away this weekend for a few shows (musician), so I haven't had much time. Pretty flexible tomorrow though. Just have to get to the DMV because my damn wallet was stolen today.[/QUOTE]

lyric let me kno ur earliest availability amd ill make sure ballhawks on.... he was waiting 3 hours for u to get on yest and messagrd u while u was on watchon a movie sat night

Also anybody looking to ever contact me , XBOX live is 99 percent of the time the best way , Im online everyday when Im not gaming Im usually watching netflix or Hulu or Talking trash to Doomtime in XBOX Live party chat.

[quote name='Mr Grand Cru']I have a question , If I am playing an opponent and he blocks 2 or more field goals, basically this shows me he will probably block my next one, and it is 4th and maybe 3 or 4 yards, would it be to farfetched to say that a NFL coach would probably go for it since the teams special teams clearly can't hold up ?[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on the game situation. If you're up big anyway I would probably just go ahead and kick it, but in a close game I think it would be fine to go for it there, even well within FG range.

[quote name='Mr Grand Cru']I have a question , If I am playing an opponent and he blocks 2 or more field goals, basically this shows me he will probably block my next one, and it is 4th and maybe 3 or 4 yards, would it be to farfetched to say that a NFL coach would probably go for it since the teams special teams clearly can't hold up ?[/QUOTE]

This is my problem with trying to block kicks. The fact that it works too often creates unrealistic scenarios that go beyond the "play like a real coach" mentality. You could make the same argument for going for 2 point conversions. If somebody is just going to block the kick, might as well go for two.

For that matter, if we're allowing people to shift their defenders, why should I ever attempt a kick? I might as well go for 2 point conversions and go for it on 4th down the entire game. I'm not going to be forced to kick the ball if my opponent has an unreasonable chance of blocking it. In general, my stance on exploits is that they are anything that you can manipulate in a game that causes something to happen more often than it should. To me, blocked kicks fall into this category. By that definition, moving your outside defender closer triggers an exploit.

Ultimately, I want ubernes to weigh in on this because his opinion is the only one that matters.

[quote name='bvharris']I guess it depends on the game situation. If you're up big anyway I would probably just go ahead and kick it, but in a close game I think it would be fine to go for it there, even well within FG range.[/QUOTE]

Sounds fair , just checking.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']This is my problem with trying to block kicks. The fact that it works too often creates unrealistic scenarios that go beyond the "play like a real coach" mentality. You could make the same argument for going for 2 point conversions. If somebody is just going to block the kick, might as well go for two.

For that matter, if we're allowing people to shift their defenders, why should I ever attempt a kick? I might as well go for 2 point conversions and go for it on 4th down the entire game. I'm not going to be forced to kick the ball if my opponent has an unreasonable chance of blocking it. In general, my stance on exploits is that they are anything that you can manipulate in a game that causes something to happen more often than it should. To me, blocked kicks fall into this category. By that definition, moving your outside defender closer triggers an exploit.

Ultimately, I want ubernes to weigh in on this because his opinion is the only one that matters.[/QUOTE]

i agree with this in ranked matches give they block 2 xpts i stop.kicking then ill take ny chances with a 2 pt conversion.... cus if they can block mine and i cant block theres they have the advantage of getting 7 pts to my 6 and that 1 pt adds up

Ok.. The REASON i believe that it DOES fall into the cheesing category.

now bear with me.

In Real Life this year....

Tennesee and the NY Jets have 1 Blocked Punt each. This is 2 Total Punt Blocks ALL YEAR.

835 TOTAL punts so far this season.
.0023% of Punts have been Blocked This Season.

Olindo Mare (Carolina) has 1 Blocked Field Goal this year.

356 TOTAL punts so far this season.
.0028% of Field Goals have been Blocked this year.

We're trying to be REALISTIC HERE (within reason, yes?)

I can't get on the xbox right now to check blocked punts/field goals...but i'm sure it's something stupid.

Let's play within the bounds of the game guys...if you're depending on blocking field goals to "STOP" your opponent from scoring..... you're getting desperate.

This is supposed to be fun. I think some of us need to remember that.

I think we're conflating two issues here:

1) Blocked FGs and punts are way up in this year's game completely independent of any user effort to block them.

My team has blocked both a punt and a kick this year without any sort of manual input from me, I don't think I blocked a single one last year. I've also blocked several in my offline franchise, which I never really did before (again without really trying). I think most of us have probably had similar experiences.

2) There are some exploits whereby users are able to gain an unfair advantage in blocking kicks, which seem mostly to surround moving around defenders to exploit guys on the line who will not pick up the block.

This is not acceptable, and nobody should be doing this. If you want to manually control one defender and try to go for a block (either leaping over the pile or rushing from the edge), I think that's okay. But once you're moving around multiple defenders to try to game the AI, that's not okay.

[quote name='sprice8688']i agree with this in ranked matches give they block 2 xpts i stop.kicking then ill take ny chances with a 2 pt conversion.... cus if they can block mine and i cant block theres they have the advantage of getting 7 pts to my 6 and that 1 pt adds up[/QUOTE]

Exactly. But a strategist would argue why give them the opportunity to begin with? If it's a play where someone can get an unfair advantage and that any random person can do, why take the chance and let them take two points away from you before you start "preparing for it"? If you're going to shift defenders to block my XP, I might as well QB sneak to get the 2 point conversion. Fight douchebaggery with douchebaggery.

The only way I've found to handle it is to "quick kick" all of my XP's. You don't even need 1/4 of the bar full to make an XP, so as soon as the meter comes up, I press A, barely fill it up and press A again. I'm not going to give you time to move your guys if you're going to be an ass.

For long FG's, I kind of use the opposite approach and take excessively long. For people who are really good at exploiting it though, they can still get there. If we allow this behavior in the league, I fear some people will get to that point.

This is not a suggestion but just an account of how I play and why , In a legaue I am in we have a pretty much good faith stantard that on Fieldgoals and Punts if you pick a Block formation for either you are not allowed to move any defenders manually period. I also use that approach for my games here also, I only manually control players on return formations. So if I am playing in a game and a kick gets blocked please know it is the cpu.

[quote name='Mr Grand Cru']This is not a suggestion but just an account of how I play and why , In a legaue I am in we have a pretty much good faith stantard that on Fieldgoals and Punts if you pick a Block formation for either you are not allowed to move any defenders manually period. I also use that approach for my games here also, I only manually control players on return formations. So if I am playing in a game and a kick gets blocked please know it is the cpu.[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing myself.

I'm 100% fine with making this a league rule if ubernes agrees.

I'd say that kicking lag introduces about the same variance into the kicking game that blocked field goals do in the real NFL, probably more. Combine that with CPU blocks being up anyway, and I think allowing manual blocks likely steers things well past realistic territory. As I said one post up, I don't have a HUGE issue with manually controlling one defender, but if enough people think it's broken I think it's something we can change.

[quote name='UrAllVirgins']I'd like to be added to the waiting list.

GT: FatalKiller X

I'd like the Chargers if possible, but not a deal breaker.

Fantasy Draft or Regular teams are ok.[/QUOTE]

I'll add you to the waiting list. The Chargers are open now, but I want to work our way through the waiting list once more. None of those guys responded to ubernes last time though, so if I don't hear back soon I'll let you know.

I really cant get my gm scheduled with the rams.. Ive been waitin n the time I seen him on was he was watchin a movie n sprice pmed him for me n no response yet I dnt want my gm simmed!

[quote name='ballhawk20']I really cant get my gm scheduled with the rams.. Ive been waitin n the time I seen him on was he was watchin a movie n sprice pmed him for me n no response yet I dnt want my gm simmed![/QUOTE]

He says he's PMed you several times as well. You guys are definitely playing tag here, but it's on the two of you to get it scheduled. He says he should be around quite a bit today, so you guys should definitely be able to get this in before the deadline.

* Indicates present Wild Card teams

AFC

1. Kansas City Chiefs (7-0)
2. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-1)
3. New England Patriots (6-1)
4. Houston Texans (3-5)
5. *New York Jets (6-1)
6. *Cincinnati Bengals (5-2)

In the Hunt

7. Baltimore Ravens (5-2)
8. Oakland Raiders (4-3)
9. Denver Broncos (4-3)

NFC

1. New York Giants (7-0)
2. Green Bay Packers (6-1)
3. San Francisco 49ers (6-1)
4. New Orleans Saints (5-2) (Pending)
5. *Chicago Bears (5-2)
6. *Detroit Lions (5-3)

In the Hunt

7. Carolina Panthers (5-3)
8. Seattle Seahawks (3-4)
9. Washington Redskins (3-4)
10. Atlanta Falcons (3-4)
11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-4)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the FG blocks are being addressed in the next patch, and so there is obviously a bug.

FYI-
I'm looking to make a deal on either Leon Washington or Justin Forsett. Washington is a 75ovr back but a 99 KR, so is he a core player?

Secondary or draft picks only!

So glad you're doing this again. Shaping up to be an intense battle in both conferences.

[quote name='staticz']Washington is a 75ovr back but a 99 KR, so is he a core player?
[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back