MAG (PS3) Used $0.99 GameStop

Eh, after a comically long update process I managed to play through several rounds. In general I find multiplayer on console games too chaotic for my tastes and this was no exception. I think I gave it a fair shot but the game just isn't right for me.

(Just stating a simple opinion here, not trying to start some console vs PC BS, I enjoy both and each have their pros and cons, kthxbye.)

Picked up a complete copy today and just played a few games. There's two ways to look at it; it was just $1, and its a great deal. Or in my case why am I wasting my time with this when I have far superior options like Battlefield 3? It was neat to try out, but these games require a lot of time investment to get the good attatchments, perks, and guns. Time I'm not willing to devote to MAG when I've got better options. That's just my view of it. In the words of Shark Tank, "I'm out".

PROTIP: DO NOT PLAY SVER. SVER is for children who want to feel good about themselves with lag advantage and instakill weapons. Everybody calls them "Easy moders", the only people who don't realize this are exclusive SVER players who haven't tried other factions.

source: me, who has over 900+ hours total of MAG play over 3 accounts on the 3 different factions.

I ended up grabbing one at a Gamestop I drove by. They had TONS of copies but none of them were marked 99 cents -- I had to have an employee scan it.

Picked one up. Only because my wife, daughter, and I needed to go to Kohls for some new clothes (17 month old is growing way too fast) and GAmestop is right next to it.

I kinda hope the community grows a good amount and they decide to keep the servers up longer.

Any idea when they are being shut down???

Just picked this up earlier today for a $1.08 and i am still not sure if it was worth it lol. I'm not sure how much more content i really got than in the free version on PSN lol.

[quote name='ryanredzie']PROTIP: DO NOT PLAY SVER. SVER is for children who want to feel good about themselves with lag advantage and instakill weapons. Everybody calls them "Easy moders", the only people who don't realize this are exclusive SVER players who haven't tried other factions.

source: me, who has over 900+ hours total of MAG play over 3 accounts on the 3 different factions.[/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on this a little more? How does one faction have a lag advantage in the same game? What makes it an easy mode? Is that the better faction for a beginner and what are the differences between them?

Got a copy for myself and two of my friends each got copies. Haven't got to play it yet, but, I like anything that has (good) Sharp Shooter controls.

[quote name='soonersfan60']So there's absolutely NO one-player or local way to play this?[/QUOTE]

Exactly and thats why its .99 cents.

I had soo much fun with this game when it dropped and for at least a good year. I had a close nit group of friends and we all played together, but above that the game was just good and for a console pushed the limits with size of players on a single field.

All around fun. We did re buy this a few months ago and didnt get back into it as we had before, its aged a bit and while they have made updates, its become somewhat one sided.

They were up yesterday so I seriously doubt they would shut them off while they're still active. Even them we have a 7 day return policy so no loss.

[quote name='sgand']I went in the store to get one today, and the guy told me they shut the servers off.[/QUOTE]

He was wrong.

[quote name='ultramanJ']Could you elaborate on this a little more? How does one faction have a lag advantage in the same game? What makes it an easy mode? Is that the better faction for a beginner and what are the differences between them?[/QUOTE]
From playing all 3 factions, I've always avoided death in SVER from jumping around moreso than the other two factions which I can most likely attribute to lag advantage. Something about shooting people as SVER, the shots would connect most of the time compared to being on Raven or Valor. When MAG first started out, the Devs favored RAVEN who they thought was going to be the goto faction for everyone since they look all high tech and stuff.

But the 12 yearolds and dudebros (not kidding, SVER voice chat is full of them) gravitated towards SVER and a lot of them whined that their duct-taped looking arsenal isn't as good as the other two factions. Didn't help that a majority of Zipper devs played SVER as well (from an actual zipper dev I played with a lot).

SVER weapons are god-tier and I pick them up a lot when we play a against them since they actually work and goes great with the lag advantage if you're on SVER. I've played SVER and found it utterly boring since we steamrolled through everyone with our advantages I mentioned and the bigger numbers we had over the two other factions. So whenever my team won over SVER, it felt like an actual hard-earned victory.

If you want a good starter faction, go Valor. They have decent weapons (unlike Raven), good defendable bases (not that it matters since bases aren't faction specific anymore), you get to play with good Japanese players (surprising, right? they play FPSes?), and its an actual challenge.

Zipper's main fault in this game is making all three factions imbalanced and they should have made the only difference cosmetic. Yes, I sound very bitter only because I loved the great potential that MAG had only to be ruined by incompetence. I stuck with it because I had great online friends to play with on a nightly basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally picked up another copy. This time with an instruction manual. I'm going to give the other to my cousin. I'll try it out tonight.

[quote name='mbrown3']He was wrong.[/QUOTE]

Just another reason why I don't shop there. He even went on a 2 min explanation that they shut them off for Defiance.

[quote name='sgand']Just another reason why I don't shop there. He even went on a 2 min explanation that they shut them off for Defiance.[/QUOTE]

Please don't let that idiot sour your opinion of GameStop as a whole. There are hardworking and honest people who work for the company, not just the liars and cheats like this guy.

I like the people who work at the Gamestops in my area. The ones I consistently see, and interact with, are generally nice and are good conversationalists.

Only played a couple of matches so far but it's pretty fun. Got kicked off in the first match as some guy told me to shut the fuck up as soon as I started talking.

[quote name='Chuck Stank']Only played a couple of matches so far but it's pretty fun. Got kicked off in the first match as some guy told me to shut the fuck up as soon as I started talking.[/QUOTE]

Haha, geez.

[quote name='jaydepps']Bought the game a couple years ago, but I picked up a second copy here for my brother.[/QUOTE]

jaydepps, I think this is the first time I've seen you on here, but I LOVE your forum icon. Even though I've almost written this year off, GO FLYERS!

[quote name='Chuck Stank']Only played a couple of matches so far but it's pretty fun. Got kicked off in the first match as some guy told me to shut the fuck up as soon as I started talking.[/QUOTE]

now thats some team work!:applause::beer:

Hahaha, I do not have a headset for the PS3 but in the couple of games I played I heard a lot of angry people!

So this is how AWESOME my Gamestop is. I recently traded with someone and got a heavily cracked red case of Mortal Kombatv DC Universe. I asked him if he any copies of MAG with the red case, and he looked, but they had none. He then asked if I just wanted the case and of course I replied yes. He went into the back, and got me a perfect condition red case for FREE! Now I know its not that big of a deal, I mean it is just a case, but thats one of the many reasons why I continue to do my business with Gamestop and ignore all the GS haters out there.

I hate it when they can just randomly kick you. Not sure if I want to buy now.

picked it up on Friday unfortunately generic case and no artwork, passed by the other gamestop down the street and same thing only generic. Oh well for $1 can't complain about having to print out artwork

I picked mine up and my copy actually has the European artwork! It says "16" instead of "T", or "M", or whatever it is. :)

I played a game yesterday in the evening and I didn't get kicked out once. I died a few times however but other than that the team I was on was very cool with me. I didn't play with my Bluetooth headset though. I will do that sometime this weekend when I get the chance. But nonetheless, I like this game. The best 99 cent I spent so far, lol.

Ive played it a few times but stopped because people on my team were just bitching about everything. Its was older guys too. They just couldnt take all the new people who picked up this game and their inability to play well yet. At more than a few points people were actually screaming orders into the mic. Way to over the top for me.
Snipers kill this game as well. Ive never seen a game with more snipers. One entire team i was playing against were all in sniper positions. They never came out. Its very hard to track a sniper without being a sniper yourself so its a cycle.

Were you trying to play it lone wolf style like CoD? If so that's probably why you were getting bitched at. You're supposed to follow orders and work as a team.

[quote name='ultramanJ']Were you trying to play it lone wolf style like CoD? If so that's probably why you were getting bitched at. You're supposed to follow orders and work as a team.[/QUOTE]

Ive played it a few times now and the voice volume is just to low. Its very hard to hear anyone thats talking.

Mannn, all this talk of people buying this game now makes me want to go put my copy back in. I put in over 400 hours during this game's prime, and I loved every minute. It was my favorite FPS or MP game this gen.

[quote name='CD6405']Mannn, all this talk of people buying this game now makes me want to go put my copy back in. I put in over 400 hours during this game's prime, and I loved every minute. It was my favorite FPS or MP game this gen.[/QUOTE]

I second this. When it comes to gameplay, if you get into full squad games, I think it is one of the best multiplayer experiences out there. You really need to play as a team to be successful.

[quote name='kit352']Ive played it a few times but stopped because people on my team were just bitching about everything. Its was older guys too. They just couldnt take all the new people who picked up this game and their inability to play well yet. At more than a few points people were actually screaming orders into the mic. Way to over the top for me.
Snipers kill this game as well. Ive never seen a game with more snipers. One entire team i was playing against were all in sniper positions. They never came out. Its very hard to track a sniper without being a sniper yourself so its a cycle.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty hard to be a successful sniper in this game, especially since every mode except for one is objective based. With the one that's TDM, you can easily make your way behind the snipers and destroy them. Going against a full team of snipers should have been an easy win.

[quote name='danishmaggot']Hahaha, I do not have a headset for the PS3 but in the couple of games I played I heard a lot of angry people![/QUOTE]

Because they can't afford to buy each new Call of Duty iteration every year, so they are stuck playing MAG?;)

Glad to see servers are still up on this. When I picked up my copy, the GS manager said, "I'm pretty sure the servers have been taken offline." I just shrugged it off and said, "For 89 cents, I'll take my chances."

[quote name='SilentBob50023']Glad to see servers are still up on this. When I picked up my copy, the GS manager said, "I'm pretty sure the servers have been taken offline." I just shrugged it off and said, "For 89 cents, I'll take my chances."[/QUOTE]

On the plus side, you get a case. :lol:

I feel bad my store had 16 copies and I bought them all its a small town and the Gs employee said they hadn't sold a copy in months he said if I wanted them I could have them them so I took them.... I took them all

[quote name='Prisoner4664']I feel bad my store had 16 copies and I bought them all its a small town and the Gs employee said they hadn't sold a copy in months he said if I wanted them I could have them them so I took them.... I took them all[/QUOTE]

Just give them out to PS3 friends and you're good!

[quote name='sgand']I went in the store to get one today, and the guy told me they shut the servers off.[/QUOTE]

I went in again today, and a different employee also told me the servers were shut down. I told him I have many people telling me otherwise and I will take my chances. I went home and played a match. I don't know how they are misinformed.

I read through a few post may have missed a definite answer.

I couldn't find if the GH version had Disc DLC. I went to one GameStop all they had was non GH, so i bought one. I went to a second figured what's another dollar and they did not have any copies GH or Regular.

bread's done
Back