Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

Anyone know if once you're out in battle mode if you're a bomb or the Item-Box-Placing thing from DS? That move in DS is the only bad thing about the game in my mind, but it ruined battle mode :(

[quote name='daroga']Anyone know if once you're out in battle mode if you're a bomb or the Item-Box-Placing thing from DS? That move in DS is the only bad thing about the game in my mind, but it ruined battle mode :([/quote]

I'm pretty sure once you're taken out, you're just taken back into the game after a few secs to continue playing until the game ends for everyone.

So actually it's way worse than the MKDS's battle mode.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote from April '08's NP:
Battle Mode

There are two Battle Mode games this time: Balloon Battle and Coin Runners. Losing three balloons doesn't knock you out of competition like before; you can reappear and fight until time runs out. Coin Runners is won by the theam that simply collects the tallest stack of coins.

[quote name='daroga']Anyone know if once you're out in battle mode if you're a bomb or the Item-Box-Placing thing from DS? That move in DS is the only bad thing about the game in my mind, but it ruined battle mode :([/QUOTE]

I loved that part!

Curious stuff about the balloon mode. Probably gonna be controversial, but it will definitely prevent situations where two people are out early and the others dance around each-other for the next ten minutes.

Both the Battle Modes are timed. Most points win. They're also team based. If I'm on the blue team and drop a banana, it has a blue aura around it and my team mates won't get hurt by it. IIRC red team bananas would appear regular.

Ultra-weak. Getting hit by your own banana peel is an important part of battle mode. You have to think - do I want to trap that corner now, or am I going to have to go through there in a minute? If you're immune to your own traps now... blech.

Free For All is always a good time.. but forming some CAG teams will be hilarious.
Courageous, can you choose your teammates?

[quote name='The Crotch']Ultra-weak. Getting hit by your own banana peel is an important part of battle mode. You have to think - do I want to trap that corner now, or am I going to have to go through there in a minute? If you're immune to your own traps now... blech.[/QUOTE]
Yea I always thought it was funny to lay a banana and come back and hit the one you just dropped. I think fake ? boxes are all fair game though.

[quote name='lilboo']Free For All is always a good time.. but forming some CAG teams will be hilarious.
Courageous, can you choose your teammates?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure its just random but I don't have friends top lay with yet so maybe?

[quote name='garrett_in_the_hat']Does anybody know if you can play spilt screen online?[/QUOTE]
Yes 2 players.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Yea I always thought it was funny to lay a banana and come back and hit the one you just dropped. I think fake ? boxes are all fair game though.
[/quote]Actually, over-trapping an area is my main strategy in Double Dash battle mode. So this change will actually make things easier on me... but it's still pretty frigging weak. I should have to either pay attention or face the consequences of my own actions. It's only for peels, right? I can still whiff a green-shell shot and have it bounce back in my own face, no?

Also, can you set 3 or 4 teams and have everyone on a different one to at least simulate a free-for-all. I'll be pissed if you're stuck with two teams. I have two older brothers - what the hell are we supposed to do at Christmas? 2v1? King's fucking court?

... Bots?

Only red and blue team. All games always have 12 players in either coin or balloon battles. You can't pick different vehicles, just the standard kart or bike for your size.

I was wrong about the fake boxes. They appear all blue or all red depending what team your on, but they appear normal rainbow colors if its from the opposing team. All shells have the blue or red aura around them as well so you can't hit yourself or other team members. If you hit your own teams bananas/boxes, they just disappear.

Wow.

Just god damn wow.

Yes, it's Mario Kart, yes, Mario Kart is always good, yes, I'll probably get it, and yes, I'll probably enjoy it.

But fuck me, it sounds like they're doing everything fucking possible to gut the battle mode.

Well I had decided to probably forget about this for awhile, but now I'm excited about it again... though it sounds like Battle Mode will be lame. I don't understand why they felt the need to dumb it down, either? The game would look fun to a casual gamer regardless. I doubt they would avoide buying it because they heard "battle mode" was "hard"... they probably wouldn't know what the hell battle mode is... I'm sure they're much more focused on, "Oh look, it's Mario, driving a little go-kart, how cute! And it comes with a little plastic wheel! Isn't this adorable! And I can leave my 3 year old alone to play unsupervised online, because Nintendo has done all the work for me, so no one in the game can talk to eachother! Finally, a company that lets me be irresponsible! :)"

Ok, I'm done now... sorry...

They haven't dumbed down the cups too, have they?? 150cc?

Anyone else wish they were including the pinball level from DS? I really love that course... I'd love to see all the flashy neon on my big TV.

Perhaps we can hope for DLC add on courses... ... ...

Ok, probably not.

The racing is fine. Some of the best yet I'd say. Combines all the good stuff from the DS and Cube version and the new tricks fit right it. Its basically a dpad press or waggle when coming off a ramp, so it fits in seamlessly.

The weird thing is that the way battle mode is set up works fine for online (since its understandable it would be limited) but they messed up local play. Odd how the reversed the tables. Local play is Nintendo's speciality. It really sucks in battle that even with four players, the other two thirds will be bots. It makes the situation into "who can knock around the AI the fastest".

If I had anything else to really complain about is that theres so much light bloom that feels unnecessary. Galaxy makes sense but not here. At first I thought all the old levels looked great, now I'm annoyed by the light bloom. The night time street track and Rainbow Road look great with it but not normal outdoor courses.

Not getting hit by your own stuff sounds weak as hell, but keep in mind it is probably intended to prevent intentional "team kills". Also, with hundreds of thousands of video gaming newbs at the controls, they probably have a hard enough time staying on the track, let alone avoiding a stationary banana.

[quote name='CouRageouS']The racing is fine. Some of the best yet I'd say. Combines all the good stuff from the DS and Cube version and the new tricks fit right it. Its basically a dpad press or waggle when coming off a ramp, so it fits in seamlessly.

The weird thing is that the way battle mode is set up works fine for online (since its understandable it would be limited) but they messed up local play. Odd how the reversed the tables. Local play is Nintendo's speciality. It really sucks in battle that even with four players, the other two thirds will be bots. It makes the situation into "who can knock around the AI the fastest". [/quote]

I'm almost positive I read that you can turn the bots off or decrease the number of them in the options menu. I'm pretty sure one of the Euro reviews of the game misspoke about it and had to correct themselves.

[quote name='CouRageouS']The racing is fine. Some of the best yet I'd say. Combines all the good stuff from the DS and Cube version and the new tricks fit right it. Its basically a dpad press or waggle when coming off a ramp, so it fits in seamlessly.[/quote]

How does the driving using the Wiimote controls compare to Excite Truck? That's one of my current favorites. Honestly, pretty much the only reason I'm considering buying Mario Kart is to be a continuation of the over-the-top fun (read as: not insanely picky about precision driving) I've been having with Excite Truck. I know that's not a great reason to buy a game and is "not what Mario Kart is all about", but if you've played both do you mind posting a control comparison?

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I'm almost positive I read that you can turn the bots off or decrease the number of them in the options menu. I'm pretty sure one of the Euro reviews of the game misspoke about it and had to correct themselves.[/QUOTE]
No options for bots in versus racing or battle. Always 12 players.

[quote name='mephitical']How does the driving using the Wiimote controls compare to Excite Truck? [/QUOTE]
Excite Truck is an entirely different beast, it works since its built for motion controls. MK absolutely isn't. The MK wiimote only driving works to an extent but is not as polished as Excite Truck's. The biggest problem is that its harder to drift, which is almost necessary in the later races.

I'm sure you can play through the first half of the game with Wiimote only, but I don't think you'd finish it completely without having to switch nunchuk combo or a cube controller. My recommended configuration is nunchuk combo. I went into it thinking I'd only want to play with a cube controller but have changed my ways. It works perfectly and is better mainly for tricks. A quick waggle feels better than a dpad press off ramps, especially if on tracks with lots of bumps/ramps for tricks.

[quote name='CouRageouS']No options for bots in versus racing or battle. Always 12 players. [/quote]

Strange. This is the correction put in the NGamer UK review:

How ironic that, just as we cross the finishing line, Nintendo should fire off one of their patented blue shells and stop us in our tracks. While playing the game we failed to find the option to turn off AI karts, leading to the unpleasantly crowded races outlined above. Turns out the option is in there, squirreled away amongst the many menu screens (and, boy, does this game love menus).

So, with a press of a button all the problems are cleared up? Yes and no. It's great to race without interfering AI, but at the same time, this is a game clearly designed for 12 players. Track design and arena size reflects this, and without those extra 10-8 heads (depending on your local multiplayer) they can seem a tad lonely - you don't need all that space for four karts.

And balloon battle? It still stinks. Meddling AI is but one of many criticisms of the mode, the balloon battle we know and love has been properly gutted - the last man standing survival element replaced with a score points against the clock event. Lose three balloons? You jump right back in with another three. AI or no AI, this ain't right. Apologies for the AI confusion, but the score stands.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I could try to find the option later. But theres really only one option menu for rules before playing versus and I didn't see it.[/quote]

This article makes it seem like it is hidden away in a bunch of sub-menus. Who knows.

My Blockbuster said they stopped taking the extra wheel orders earlier this week because they weren't sure how many extras they were getting. My brother asked on the other side of town, and he said it sounded like they didn't know anything about it. Anyone have luck still pre-ordering with the extra wheel, and are any other stores doing this?

[quote name='Phoenix Audubon']Yeah, I saw that deal earlier, too. I stopped by the nearest Blockbuster to me, and while I saw flyers to PO MKW, they don't say anything about an extra wheel. (I did not ask the clerk, however.) I mean, it took a few races for me to get the hang of it, but I don't mind it--I even like the expanded B trigger on the back.

Hey, there's a Sam's Club down the street from me! I don't have a membership card, but I think my sister does...if not, my parents definitely do. I'm down for a discount if the free Wheel is a bust...[/quote]

Posted this in my regional thread, but does anyone know when shipments will have arrived at retailers? Was hoping maybe a local store might put it out early, and I'd like to get a legal copy ASAP. Thanks!

[quote name='crystalklear64']Damn. Just watched the IGN video review, and the lack of co-op grand prix really sucks.[/quote]

I thought you could play co-op, select the first track of the first cup and effectively play through the entire grand prix in co-op.

Doesn't make up for the fact that they took out the actual option, but I think you can still accomplish the same thing using the method above.

Yeah, just read IGN's review.

The single player seems like the usual passable offering, and some balance issues. But despite those errors, which Nintendo better FINALLY fix for the next Kart, this game can't come any sooner!

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I thought you could play co-op, select the first track of the first cup and effectively play through the entire grand prix in co-op.

Doesn't make up for the fact that they took out the actual option, but I think you can still accomplish the same thing using the method above.[/QUOTE]

There better be local co-op!

Read the IGN Review...perhaps I should consider using my GC controller for this game, as well...

Anyways, my sister's lettin' me borrow her Sam's Club card, so I get to stand in line next Saturday. Keen. :roll:

I'm a little confused about the need for co-op. The co-op in DD was possible since two people could ride in the same carts Other than that (unless the DS game had something), co-op was non-existant. How would you play it? Red vs Blue? Just curious since it never crossed my mind. You can still play 2 player grand prix, right?

[quote name='tayaf69']I'm a little confused about the need for co-op. The co-op in DD was possible since two people could ride in the same carts Other than that (unless the DS game had something), co-op was non-existant. How would you play it? Red vs Blue? Just curious since it never crossed my mind. You can still play 2 player grand prix, right?[/QUOTE]
Just to bring you up to speed, the Mario Kart series has been around since the days of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Back then we played games that were stored on cartridges, or "carts," instead of discs. We thought 2P grand prix was awesome, but then we also thought Hammer was too legit to quit. I guess they both had to go sometime.

Yeah... that does suck. The only reason I hundred-percented the Grand Prix in DD was because my girlfriend and I were able to co-op it.

[quote name='tayaf69']Just curious since it never crossed my mind. You can still play 2 player grand prix, right?[/QUOTE]
No. You can play the courses with a friend vs. the CPU's, but not the mode where you go through and get points for placing and then get the trophies at the end.

It was awesome having your buddy stay back in last and sabotage the other racers in a pinch.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah... that does suck. The only reason I hundred-percented the Grand Prix in DD was because my girlfriend and I were able to co-op it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, now here's a feature I never knew existed :rofl:. I hundred-percented that all by myself. Since I was new to "modern" gaming at the time that was the first game I ever completed and I was quite proud of myself. I never knew, till right now, that it could be done coop! So, I guess I won't mind that it isn't in the new one. But as tayaf69 said, how would you do coop in a single-person per kart setup? I could see it in DD. Did the original allow you to combine scores or was it just that the first person could win and the other run "interference" with the computer players? (Edit - I see from crystalklear64's post that this seems to be the case). If so, wierd... But then I could see my boys helping me with it and that would be fun.

And just a note to those who don't know me - I'm not a youngster. Quite the opposite in fact. I was only new to modern console gaming when I got my GC in 2003 (right when MKDD came out) save for a brief bout of playing an NES in 1988 or so. I'm an Atari vet - back in those days, you didn't "beat" games (they beat you ;)). Well, I guess that's not entirely true - "Adventure" had an ending I suppose.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah... that does suck. The only reason I hundred-percented the Grand Prix in DD was because my girlfriend and I were able to co-op it.[/quote]

My brother and I did the same! One guy would race, while the other guy would be in last and try to sabotage the race by attacking everyone except the other guy.

Yup, I would race and my girlfriend would stay back throwing shells and stuff at the CPU players.

I don't know how anyone completed it solo, the computers get really cheap in the later races.

My wife did the same thing with me in co-op, though she would race seriously and we would just try to tie up first and second place to keep the CPU from placing too high.

We never did complete Mirror Mode All Cup because she was really bad at the courses in reverse (I wasn't too hot either), so even though she was taking a spot away from a CPU player, she wasn't helping all that much in a race.

I do remember the fun of coordinating blue shells though. She would announce that she had a blue shell and then I would hit the brakes (if I was in first) and let her kill the guy ahead of me.

Haha yeah, good times.

At least two people on a console can play online right? Like Strikers? Perhaps we can do a girlfiend/wife 2vs2 match or something. ;)

[quote name='yukine']Yup, I would race and my girlfriend would stay back throwing shells and stuff at the CPU players.

I don't know how anyone completed it solo, the computers get really cheap in the later races.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, man. I'm no expert twitch gamer (what with the slowing reflexes and all) and I didn't have too much trouble with it. Sure, I had to do the later ones a few times. It always sucks that the CPU picks one character to be super-good (and they always win or come in second to you) but I managed to handle it. Wierd how it never occured to me to do it coop - but probably that would have been harder. At the time my kids weren't too good at it and the split screen would have made it much harder to play IMO. I probably would have done worse (gotta have that wider view).

Back to MK Wii. I just found out I may have to travel for work Sunday-Weds or so which SUCKS. I probably won't even have time to pick up my preordered copy at Blockbuster and what with them cutting off preorders due to smaller than expected allocations I may not get it at all. And I was *really* hoping to get you guys in on my friends list. With the super-small 32 limit everyone on CAG will fill up within the first few days I imagine (just like it happened with SSBB and that has twice the slots).

I'm really starting to get excited for this for some reason.
I'm glad it's not like Smash Bros where I was excited oh.. 2 years prior :whistle2:( I can manage being really anxious for a week.

[quote name='yukine']Haha yeah, good times.

At least two people on a console can play online right? Like Strikers? Perhaps we can do a girlfiend/wife 2vs2 match or something. ;)[/QUOTE]

I find this highly insensitive :nottalking:
:lol: jk!

[quote name='lilboo']
I find this highly insensitive :nottalking:
[/quote]
Agree 100%. Any girlfriend/wife would not be with someone who makes them play Mario Kart Wii much longer after that.;)

bread's done
Back