Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

I preordered this awhile back.

Hopefully it comes tomorrow, but I'm aiming for at least Tuesday so I'll have some time to play, and not worry too much about any work I have to complete....

I'm actually digging the novelty factor of the wheel control so far. Keep getting dropped online though. I'll post my Friend Code below and start adding some of you guys.

MK Friend Code
2878-9975-1410

If anyone adds me and I haven't added them back soon, PM me.

Woot, just got Baby Luigi!

I think the key to some of these time trials is to get really good at the bikes... but I haven't used the bikes yet :(

I'm really digging this game... haven't even touched the Grand Prix stuff yet at all except one run through 50 cc Mushroom Cup :(

Friend code time!

Lan - 1934 1047 0838

Is there any way to customize the controls? I would much rather use B for items on the wheel.

Some of the characters look like a real bitch to unlock.

Are the bikes better than the karts, definitively? Almost all online matches I've played have everyone using bikes, and everybody wheelies. What's the pro to wheelie-ing?

[quote name='Rocko']Some of the characters look like a real bitch to unlock.

Are the bikes better than the karts, definitively? Almost all online matches I've played have everyone using bikes, and everybody wheelies. What's the pro to wheelie-ing?[/QUOTE]

They are. The ones for the Time Trials are a pain in the ass... luckily you only need to unlock 8 Expert Time Trials to get them. The easiest ones are the Mushroom Cup ones... I did all of this except Yoshi Falls, and then for my 8th one I did Waluigi Stadium, that one was easy.

From watching the Time Trial ghosts, wheelie-ing gives you more speed on straightaways... almost all the time trial's use bikes too.

[quote name='Rocko']The expert staff ghosts are the ones that say "A fast staff ghost has appeared!", right?[/QUOTE]

Yea... to get this, you not only have to beat the original time trial ghost, but you have to beat it from anywhere in 3 - 12 seconds... it varies by course, and they get harder as the cups go up it seems.

Unlock 1 fast staff ghost, you get a cart, 4 gets you Funky Kong, 8 gets you Baby Luigi, and just doing 16 time trials (you don't even have to win, just post a time), gets you Birdo (just unlocked).

I love the fact Nintendo put so much stuff into Time Trial, and made it kind of tough to get. I'm using the classic controller, so no boosts after jumps, and I have to drift like crazy to beat some of those times.

I only unlocked King Boo.
I want Rosalina. She unlocks after a few Grand Prix's..but how many? I just finished all the 50CC Wii Cups. Grr

[quote name='lilboo']I only unlocked King Boo.
I want Rosalina. She unlocks after a few Grand Prix's..but how many? I just finished all the 50CC Wii Cups. Grr[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that you need a Galaxy save file, and then have to do 50 races.

I'm not sure if Time Trial's count =/

Yeah, I've only unlocked the kart and King Boo so far, got the first two expert ghosts on the first two Wii cup tracks.

Yes!! The Wiimote & Nunchuck works extremely well and feel very comfortable!!! /win
I actually do like the wheel. I hated steering in Excite Truck, but this feels pretty good to me. Glad to see the tracks are pretty wide though, because when using the wheel we would all be all over the place :lol:

[quote name='Roufuss']I read somewhere that you need a Galaxy save file, and then have to do 50 races.

I'm not sure if Time Trial's count =/[/QUOTE]

I do have a Galaxy saved file. I guess I'll just keep playin till the bitch pops out :lol:

[quote name='Rocko']Yeah, I've only unlocked the kart and King Boo so far, got the first two expert ghosts on the first two Wii cup tracks.

I beat all the 50cc races, and have King Boo and Diddy Kong so far.

Regardless, this is an extremely solid entry to the franchise. Very pleased. I'm perplexed by the amount of people online who use the wheel... it just wasn't responsive enough for me. Wiimote/nunchuk FTW.

Anyway, friend code, in case anyone wants to add me: Berg: 3351-4438-8606

I guess we could make this a Gen Discussion & Info (LOL Linkin) AND Friend Codes thread.

I come up as Tommy: 2878 9974 8542
I am loving that you can send invites to people already registered on your Wii, they can accept and you 2 are now MK friend. This is def a step in the right direction for friend codes.

Now what I don't get is that I accepted Courageous' & Botticus' invite..and it comes up as "Waiting to be friends"..? I don't get it.

[quote name='Rocko']I can't seem to get orange boosts in TT. Is it blue boosts only?[/QUOTE]

No, you can get orange... but I don't really use them, it takes too long to get them imo.

I am obsessed with time trials I think =/ I do a course, then go "Hey, I can unlock the expert ghost no problem!". Then spend 20 min doing that.

The OP hasn't been on CAG for four days...

Maybe we could make a new thread fresh for the game's release, and have an OP who we know will update it?

[quote name='Rocko']I can't seem to get orange boosts in TT. Is it blue boosts only?[/quote]

... this ties into my question... so, no orange boosts with bikes, right?

That sort of threw me off, but then I realized I was Luigi riding a moped, and then I was okay again. ;)

Regardless, I've added everyone's code on the last 2 pages, FYI.

[quote name='007']... this ties into my question... so, no orange boosts with bikes, right?

That sort of threw me off, but then I realized I was Luigi riding a moped, and then I was okay again. ;)

Regardless, I've added everyone's code on the last 2 pages, FYI.[/quote]

Ohhhh, I bet that's it. I'm using a bike.

This game is pretty good shit. The new tracks are really slick. I like how a number of them change as you loop around it. Particularly Grumble Volcano.

[quote name='botticus']This game is pretty good shit. The new tracks are really slick. I like how a number of them change as you loop around it. Particularly Grumble Volcano.[/QUOTE]

People should really see our conversations on how to get the damn friend code shit to work.

One day I hope it's as easy as just adding someone... these convos we have are always epic because everything seems so ass backwards.

I don't even know which friend code to put here... the wii system one is worthless, SINCE EVERY GAME WANTS THEIR OWN FRIEND CODE!!!

Ugh.

With the new invite system Wii system codes might possibly be useful.

I'll post my friend code later.

I think I'm up to like 5600 points in multiplayer.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Damn you people. I was going to wait to pick this up, but now it looks like I'm going to have to go pick it up today.[/QUOTE]

Yes you should, I already sent you my invite ;) :lol:

Loving this game just played for 2 more hours and only pulling myself away because I gotta meet some friends at a club. haha I just noticed if you click license settings in top right corner it shows all your stats. I'm using the wavebird and more than holding my own. I'm rarely if ever in the negative points categories, pushing 6000. Played 1 race offline so far I think. :D

Roufuss, I'm not sure how to add you back so I just sent you an invite. :x

Unlocking Rosalina is definitely 50 races (plus Galaxy data). Not sure if TTs count, but you can check your number of races completed in your license settings (top right corner on main menu). I played some online and turned the Wii off and when I went back in to my license it unlocked her, and I looked and I had exactly 50 races.

i just bought mine. but i'm going to wait until my friends come over to put it in.

so who wants to give in and start a code thread?
and are we going to list friend codes or wii codes?
what is the limit on wii codes?

Hey guys I'm about to head out and pick this up, but I was wondering (for those who have it) if it was worth it to pick up a second Wii-wheel so that my sister could have one too? Or should I just stick to Wiimote + nunchuck/GC controller? Thanks.

How the hell do you block a red shell?

I held an item behind me (an item block) and it didn't do jack shit.

Playing with Botticus, it sucks being in the lead, getting hit by two red shells, and coming in 3rd.

[quote name='Roufuss']How the hell do you block a red shell?

I held an item behind me (an item block) and it didn't do jack shit.

Playing with Botticus, it sucks being in the lead, getting hit by two red shells, and coming in 3rd.[/quote]

Sometimes it'll hit you in the side depending on the track and how your kart is turned. However, if it comes from behind the item block/shell/banana should work fine. It has for me.

[quote name='Rocko']Sometimes it'll hit you in the side depending on the track and how your kart is turned. However, if it comes from behind the item block/shell/banana should work fine. It has for me.[/QUOTE]

Weird, I've had the item block out three times now, driving straight, and it goes through the item block.

I love how it can hit you on the side and punish you for drifting.

If anyone wants to add me, my code is 1590-5084-7220.

Will it tell you when someone has added you, or do I need their code too?

Really? Hm. Maybe the item block doesn't work any more? Have you tried a shell or banana?

If it's like all other Wii games, you need their code too.

Such a useless system.

[quote name='Rocko']Really? Hm. Maybe the item block doesn't work any more? Have you tried a shell or banana?

If it's like all other Wii games, you need their code too.

Such a useless system.[/QUOTE]

Banana peels work, it just seems item blocks don't work... at least not for me. Just blocked it fine with a peel.

[quote name='Rocko']
I've moved to the Wiimote and Nunchuck combo since the wheel isn't responsive enough and the GCN controller doesn't give boosts..[/QUOTE]

You can get the trick boosts - just press the d-pad in mid-air. Unless you're talking about some other boost (I still can't drift so you may be talking about that)

[quote name='CouRageouS']Tricks/bike wheelies are mapped to the D-pad. Fake boxes can't block shells.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much!!

Last I heard, tricks were supposed to be wheel / wiimote only?

http://kotaku.com/374920/classic-gamecube-controllers-gimped-for-mario-kart

This came right from Nintendo itself a few months ago... what exactly is gimped on the CC and Wavebird then? Nothing? Did Nintendo smarten up? I just never bothered to try tricks with the CC, cause I assumed Nintendo just took it out.

I never bothered to ever follow up with that, just assumed the CC was gimped. Haha, can't believe I was playing this long without even knowing it was in there.

Just played it- loads of fun. I don't get the Wii-Wheel hate I've seen expressed elsewhere- it's gimmicky, sure, but that's why I bought a Wii in the first place. This will be a great addition to the library of party games.

[quote name='Roufuss']Thank you so much!!

Last I heard, tricks were supposed to be wheel / wiimote only?

http://kotaku.com/374920/classic-gamecube-controllers-gimped-for-mario-kart

This came right from Nintendo itself a few months ago... what exactly is gimped on the CC and Wavebird then? Nothing? Did Nintendo smarten up? I just never bothered to try tricks with the CC, cause I assumed Nintendo just took it out.

I never bothered to ever follow up with that, just assumed the CC was gimped. Haha, can't believe I was playing this long without even knowing it was in there.[/quote]Yeah I was thinking the same way too. So there's nothing lost (maneuvers/boosts) if I just want to use the regular GC controller over the other options?

[quote name='Ma12kez']Yeah I was thinking the same way too. So there's nothing lost (maneuvers/boosts) if I just want to use the regular GC controller over the other options?[/QUOTE]

I just did a whole race doing the tricks, it works perfectly fine. That is very awesome that they decided not to gimp the CC.

I can't believe I was trying to do the time trials without this extra boost... now it's going to make them even easier.

I guess that's what I get for not reading manuals, ever ;)

Best Buy had quite a lot in stock a few minutes ago. I saw a decent number of people grabbing them or just stopping in front of them and thinking about buying it. I sadly, will wait for it to go on sell because of exams and a backlog. I also saw Wii's.

This release just totally slipped my mind. I only played Brawl for a week and got bored with it. I also liked Mario Kart though...

Quick question about midnight releases, is it normal for some Gamestop stores to stay "closed" right up until midnight? That's what mine did, I guess because there was only one employee (the store manager actually) there. I was just under the impression that since the automated message said that the pre-release started at 11pm, that they would've left the door unlocked so people could come in and chill while waiting (as well as pre-paying). It's not a huge deal since I arrived at 11:50pm last night, so I only had 10 min. to kill waiting outside.

As for the game itself, I stayed up playing all the 50cc stuff last night. Slow and boring as always, but still fun for seeing all the tracks for the first time. Is it just me, or do the CPU players seem even more aggressive in this game with the number of items hurled at you when you're in first place? I've also noticed that they fixed the "bug" where you can now get hit by say the blue spiked shell AND blooper's ink or anything else one right after the other. I played some 100cc races today, and I'm enjoying the bikes a lot more than I thought I would. They do seem to have an unfair advantage over the regular karts since they can do the wheelie for an extra bit of speed. Unless the karts have a higher max speed than the bikes do, I could see why everyone chooses to use the bike online. I don't think I'm going to head online until I've beaten all of the grand prix tracks on all of the modes at least once, if not also beating the mirror mode which I'm sure is back again.

Two quick questions.

1. Are the track better than Mario Kart DS? Personally I liked the tracks in MKDS but found some of them a bit bland.

2. Is there a mission mode like Mario Kart DS?

Basically I am either going to pick this or the world ends with you up this week and if Mario Kart has better tracks then the DS version then it will be Mario Kart.

bread's done
Back