Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Plinko']I'll pick it up for the single-player. Online will suck = teh confirmed.[/quote]

It better be a hell of a single player for me. If it's anything like DD's or MKDS's it won't be worth it, and even if the SP is somehow good I doubt it'll warrent more than a rent for me.

[quote name='Plinko']I'll pick it up for the single-player. Online will suck = teh confirmed.[/QUOTE]
QFT. As soon as I saw "snaking", I was like, "Oh fuck no."

I'd still like to pick it up. Not for $50, though.

Snaking in the DS version was significant, but in the GC version it didn't matter at all. At least that's what I remember.

So they dumped the co-op Double Dash aspect altogether? My wife and I really liked the "one person drives, one person throws objects" gameplay.

One step, two steps back. You guys sure Mario Kart Wii isn't being developed by Criterion? :)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']pass for me too.

Man, they've all been trash outside of the SNES.[/quote]

I dissagree, Mario Kart 64 was the best Mario Kart to date. If it were not for snaking Mario Kart DS would be up there 2, thats the only reason i don't play online. Snaking in the GC was not as bad as in DS so hopefully they can make it something like that for the Wii.

[quote name='Scorch']sliding = +$50 from me. Mario Kart DD was ass without sliding.

Controls similar to Excite Truck... ehhhh....[/QUOTE]

Uh did you play excite truck Scorch, or is it just common place to slam it? Excite truck was awesome and very easy to pick up.

Why can't they just put an option flag in there to turn this shit off?

Hopefully they'll add something to the options menu to turn snaking off - whereby you can't get the little turbo boost/power slide more than once within a couple of seconds.

Snaking sucks and this baby everything and backwards characters crap they are throwing at us has got to go. They should have stopped at Baby mario, baby luigi, young link, wario and waluigi. Why not branch into new things, like SSBB does? I would love to be driving a cardboardbox with wheels with Solid Snake.

Here is to hoping they bring back blocks and hopefully none of the MK:DD maps.

[quote name='eliter1']I dissagree, Mario Kart 64 was the best Mario Kart to date. If it were not for snaking Mario Kart DS would be up there 2, thats the only reason i don't play online. Snaking in the GC was not as bad as in DS so hopefully they can make it something like that for the Wii.[/quote]

I agree with you. MK 64 with battle mode was amazing. Hopefully they add some AI that can play battle modes this time around.

I'm going to get this anyway, as both me and my son are big Mario Kart DS fans.

That said, IMO it's too early to gnash teeth over powersliding/snaking. For all we know Nintendo could've modified the game to make snaking moot (such as having powerslides come with a chance of an engine blowout).

--R.J.

If I play online, it's going to be with friends and CAGS. Seeing so much disgust here on snaking, (I hate it too) playing with people from here will make the online good.
I wasn't fond of ExciteTruck, but I'll still pick this up. Overall I'll be happy if they add classic controller options too.

Online NEEDS battle mode. I want 8 player (or more) in classic balloon battle. There's no reason this SHOULDN'T happen.

[quote name='lilboo']If I play online, it's going to be with friends and CAGS. Seeing so much disgust here on snaking, (I hate it too) playing with people from here will make the online good.
I wasn't fond of ExciteTruck, but I'll still pick this up. Overall I'll be happy if they add classic controller options too.

Online NEEDS battle mode. I want 8 player (or more) in classic balloon battle. There's no reason this SHOULDN'T happen.[/quote]Pretty much my thoughts. Never been a big fan of random online games anyway, so all I use it for is playing with people I can't play with locally. If they snake, I can virtually bitch-slap them.

As far as the controls, it supposedly supported multiple different options, so I'm not worrying about any pros and cons in that regard yet.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The original had the optimal red shell physics for high level competitive battle mode. Red shell physics now are a joke.[/quote]I've never been part of the Blame DMK First crowd, but you have to admit, that post was pretty funny.

Sucks about snaking... I never got good at it and whenever I played, there'd always be one person who did it and he/she always won.

Oh well, hopefully there's online battles though- snaking won't factor too much there.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Dont make me start drawing shell physics diagrams.[/quote]Actually, my brothers and I used to have a rule that in one-on-ones, you'd have to shoot red shells backwards. Only when there were more than two people could we shoot them forwards.

Being pussies, they eventually decided it was too complicated.

Crotch, DMK is some kind of guru at SNES Mario Kart Battle Mode. Like I think he controls everything with his mind or some shit.

I kind of want to play him at it just for kicks, and see if he'll pay me a thousand dollars if I win (which is something he actually did do at some point, and managed to gather a small urban legend mystique).

Which reminds me, DMK. I forgot if you said you ever played that Rareside guy or not.

As for snaking, I didn't know people hated it this much. I'm curious about what the exact controls for this game are at this point, since I was sure the line about being comparable to ExciteTruck was going to be the cause of the uproar.

i'll still get the game, but i probably won't play online... UNLESS there is some really good matchmaking system in place that helps divide snakers from those who cannot.

i hate snaking. ruins the fun of the game. plus, i can't do it. but i'm the first to admit that it's a skill, not a cheat, and i applaud those who take the time to learn how to perfect it.

but this is the problem with most online games. do you honestly expect to join smash bros and not meet up with crazy tournament players that will kick your ass everytime? do you play medal of honor and not encounter crazy shooters that kill you all the time?

online brings out the best players and the worst... it's great. but there has to be a good way to keep the best playing with the best (for those who think this is serious stuff) and the worst playing with the worst (for those who just want to have some fun)

Just another reason the snes mariokart should be online when it comes to the VC.:bomb: Mariokart 64 and mariokart ds were Ok, doubledash was basically unplayable.:roll:

Outside of another goddamn baby, no real news here, though the number of tracks is encouraging.

The rumors worth hearing are the release date (Q4 again--has to be) and specifics on the various control options. No point in freaking out until we know more about the controls (please take a hint from Sakurai and support GC controls). Excite Truck is an obvious direction given what we've heard about stunts and cycles. This direction was hinted at a while ago by Matt C at IGN.

As far as snaking goes, race online with friends. Or battle. Or play single player. You'll never see it, and your life will be that much better.

This will likely be a skip for me.

I'm sick of the series in single player, and the snaking ruined the DS game online for me.

Add in my skepticism about motion controls and I'm rapidly losing interest.

why don't you let people actually review the game/preview before you jump the gun. Just wait at lil. Then your can go all nuts over never buying the game.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']why don't you let people actually review the game/preview before you jump the gun. Just wait at lil. Then your can go all nuts over never buying the game.[/QUOTE]

I normally would, but it's a game in a series that I was already growing weary of, that has a feature that ruined the online play in the last game confirmed, and has tilt steering control which I've hated in games like Excite Truck.

So it just really has nothing going for it, as the more I find out the more I dislike. *shrug*

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']pass for me too.

Man, they've all been trash outside of the SNES.[/QUOTE]

Actually, my favorite game thus far was the GBA game. A couple of link cables, some friends and long trips in the car make for some fantastic games. It didn't seem to have the "zOMG BLUE SHELL" factor of randomness, and you could actually escape most everything shot at you with enough skill.

While I enjoyed MKDD, there were a lot of things I feel that recent iterations have been lacking:

• Shortcuts (ones that actually require some skill + items)
  • Less randomness
  • Too much focus on randomness, and not enough on skill
  • Did I mention too much randomness?
  • Coins. I'd like to see the return of coins

Sadly, I think they're going to stick to the "randomness" factor and allow almost anybody to win. I don't know if anyone will agree with me or not, but this is how I feel. I'll probably still end up getting it anyway even if it doesn't include anything from above.

I will definately pick this up. Local multiplayer is where double dash shined and with 4 people on wiimotes this will be sick.
I am disappointed that they got rid of the double dash two character system, I liked switching players when driving and having two sets of weapons.

[quote name='suko_32']I'm sure you'll have the option to use GC controllers...cause it would make sense.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they announced a while back that it would only have the one control scheme and ship with the plastic steering wheel controller to stick the Wiimote in.

They could change their minds of course.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm pretty sure they announced a while back that it would only have the one control scheme and ship with the plastic steering wheel controller to stick the Wiimote in.

They could change their minds of course.[/QUOTE]

Oh, well if it's Wiimote only, then the controls better be good.

I remember Reggie saying that you can control with the nunchuck analog stick for traditional play for veterans.

yeah, controls concern me for this title... i wanna see someone demoing it for us... as for snaking, it seemed like too much work to go back and forth constantly...

[quote name='Snake2715']Uh did you play excite truck Scorch, or is it just common place to slam it? Excite truck was awesome and very easy to pick up.[/QUOTE]
I love Excite Truck. But I don't want those controls in Mario Kart. Everything driving is compared to Excite Truck anyway, even Sonic was.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I love Excite Truck. But I don't want those controls in Mario Kart. Everything driving is compared to Excite Truck anyway, even Sonic was.[/quote]

Same with me. I love Excite Truck, but don't really want those controls in Mario Kart.

I miss the SNES version.

"Snaking" was in MK64 and MK:DD, but they were called Straight Stretch Mini-Turbos (SSMTs) by our crowd. It's another learnable skill. I see no reason to be complaining about universally available skills in an online, competitive game. /yawn @ really, really old news

[quote name='RyokoYaksa']"Snaking" was in MK64 and MK:DD, but they were called Straight Stretch Mini-Turbos (SSMTs) by our crowd. It's another learnable skill. I see no reason to be complaining about universally available skills in an online, competitive game. [/QUOTE]

It's not fun to do IMO, so I don't want to learn to do it to compete.

Racing games should be about knowing the tracks, and taking the best route. With a game like Mario Kart having skill and luck with weapons involved as well.

Count me in the crowd that loved Excite Truck but doesn't really want that control method in Mario Kart.

One way to alleviate the snaking problem (other than removing it) is to cut the width of the tracks down. They are freakin' enormous and damn near impossible to find yourself off the track.

I wasn't a huge fan of Excite Truck but I could get used to it.

I missed on Double Dash but now that I have the Wii I might go back and get it. I loved 64 and SNES.

I suck at online gaming so I know this snaking stuff would kill me if I were to play online. It wouldn't be a problem to play with friends only but I only have 1 other friend who has a Wii at the moment. But at least I have you guys *sniffle*

Doesn't the fact that there's snaking sort of contradict "Excite Truck-like" controls? My understanding was that was a lot of quick back and forth movements. Seems kinda tough to do that if you're dealing with floaty arcade driving controls.

bread's done
Back