Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='botticus']Doesn't the fact that there's snaking sort of contradict "Excite Truck-like" controls? My understanding was that was a lot of quick back and forth movements. Seems kinda tough to do that if you're dealing with floaty arcade driving controls.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's a contradiction that has me wishing there are various modes of game control, including but not limited to "arcade mode" wherein mini-turbos are triggered or "earned" for later one-button use through stunts. Reggie may have hinted at the multiple modes with his "novice karters can keep up with pros" comments at E3. The existence of GC controls would be reassuring.

I'm trying to be positive about this mofo. My hope, remote as the possibility may be, is that Nintendo's putting forth an honest effort to make MK:Wii a "something for everyone" title in the manner of SSBB. Given the effort put into SSBB and the singularity of Sakurai's production talents, I realize this hope may not even be within the realm of possibility, but what the hell. A gamer can hope.

[quote name='botticus']Doesn't the fact that there's snaking sort of contradict "Excite Truck-like" controls? My understanding was that was a lot of quick back and forth movements. Seems kinda tough to do that if you're dealing with floaty arcade driving controls.[/QUOTE]

By Excite Truck like controls people just mean tilting the Wiimote to steer. They could make the controls much tighter and still use that method.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm pretty sure they announced a while back that it would only have the one control scheme and ship with the plastic steering wheel controller to stick the Wiimote in.

They could change their minds of course.[/quote]

What Reggie actually said at E3 was exactly the opposite of that. He said that newcomers to the series could stay bump-to-bumper with a kart veteran because of "a variety of control choices" including the Wii wheel. 50 seconds into this clip...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ThIBLy1tYg[/MEDIA]

There will be more choices than just tilt control.

[quote name='lilboo']Online NEEDS battle mode. I want 8 player (or more) in classic balloon battle. There's no reason this SHOULDN'T happen.[/quote]

w00t Reggie did say it in the video above. Dunno how many but he did say online battle!

[quote name='Hostile']Snaking was awesome in MKDS. You're all just pussies.[/QUOTE]
Yup. From the way this thread sounds, it looks like I'll be dominating a bunch of people, and I don't even know how the game plays!

take this for what its worth

“Nintendo has not announced any further information on Mario Kart. We’ve spoken to the magazine and it’s just pure rumour and speculation on their part.” - Nintendo representative

I love Mario Kart. I'd have to say my favorite is the one for 64 with double dash coming in a close second.

I'm dissappointed that you can't have two people on one kart anymore b/c that was really fun. It made for some really loud gaming sessions in my old apartment. Truly a blast for sure.

I'd like to play with the gaming wheel and think it could be really fun. I never played excite truck but myself, and I think two other people (in the world) got Need For Speed Carbon for the Wii and, while the motion steering takes some getting used to, it pretty much rocked the house IMO.

Putting a link to the excerpt at the top of this page in the thread...

Nintendo dismisses Mario Kart rumours

With so little info out there and Nintendo unwilling to offer anything, how in the hell is MK:Wii coming out in Spring 2008 in JP? At this point, the release date is the most compelling unknown about this title.

Glad to hear that both the motion control only rumors and the snaking rumors may not be true.

Game is back on my radar....for the time being.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Glad to hear that both the motion control only rumors and the snaking rumors may not be true.
[/QUOTE]
Dude. RTFT. As pointed out earlier in the thread, the "motion control only rumor" isn't a rumor. It's flat-out falsehood. There is no need for the conditional: why go "may not," when it IS false. At a minimum, there will be motion steering and nunchuck steering (based on Reggie's E3 comments).

[quote name='jollydwarf']Hey, if the game's online, someone will find some exploit and it'll be virally revealed in no time, thus ruining the online experience (and offline for many). So just assume the worst. [/QUOTE]
My recommendation to you: play with friends, CAGs, folks you know well enough to know they don't use sploitz. Thus UN-ruining the online experience. Yay!

I always love those scripted pauses in E3/trade show speeches where there's no applause whatsoever. Even more amusing is how the speaker tries to resume his speech without sounding completely unnatural and slightly disappointed.

Hey, if the game's online, someone will find some exploit and it'll be virally revealed in no time, thus ruining the online experience (and offline for many). So just assume the worst. And also assume we won't see it until at least September.

I don't really care whether snaking is involved or not (as the rumor got dispelled yesterday) but I'd just like to see a game that I enjoy. I liked the 64 version, GC and now I hope to enjoy the Wii version.

I'm in no rush to see this game get released, but I hope to play it during the summer while I'm not swamped with college work.

[quote name='dothog']Dude. RTFT. As pointed out earlier in the thread, the "motion control only rumor" isn't a rumor. It's flat-out falsehood. There is no need for the conditional: why go "may not," when it IS false. At a minimum, there will be motion steering and nunchuck steering (based on Reggie's E3 comments).
[/QUOTE]

Things change, and the motion control only rumors I read started after E3, so I'm optimistic but not going to believe Reggie 100% until it's confirmed again.

[quote name='Walt Jay']So they dumped the co-op Double Dash aspect altogether? My wife and I really liked the "one person drives, one person throws objects" gameplay.

One step, two steps back. You guys sure Mario Kart Wii isn't being developed by Criterion? :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's really a shame. I was one of the few who loved the co-op aspect of Double Dash. Lonely reviewers and gamers have bashed it to no end. :roll:

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']pass for me too.

Man, they've all been trash outside of the SNES.[/QUOTE]

rubber band AI, and ridiculous item box randomization have ruined this game more than anything in DD especially. and didn't reggie say they were making it super easy for kids to play? that means every item is going to be a blue shell or lightning if you are in second place or lower. i'll pass.

indeed. 64 was okay, but nowhere near as good as the original. Nothing can compare to that battle mode, and just the super tight controls of the original. i could get real excited for a virtual console version with online play, but somehow i know that isn't going to happen.

Mario Kart is a must purchase if you are looking for another game to add to the "Universal Appeal" list when you are sharing your Wii at an event with lots of people.

[quote name='CombatCraig']
Cube controller support? and Miis!
[/QUOTE]
Massive win on incorporation of Miis, MEGATON win on GC controls. Please Reggie let this be fact.

Still don't believe this release date, though if they're mostly porting over MK GP, then I suppose tossing it onto GC 1.5 and getting it out the door shouldn't be a challenge. And the focus of IGN's article (telling us what Famitsu says) seems to support the rumors that all the effort on MK Wii was in 1) simplifying control and 2) beefing up wifi features.

Though I'm not convinced this is going to be a winner, it's nice to see that some of the little things--such as those spoilered above--may be taken care of.

Hopefully that post means we're getting 16 new tracks and 16 old tracks, not 16 total tracks, especially after getting 32 tracks in Mario Kart DS. If those 16 are the only tracks it's pretty disappointing that
we aren't getting Rainbow Road.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Hopefully that post means we're getting 16 new tracks and 16 old tracks, not 16 total tracks, especially after getting 32 tracks in Mario Kart DS. If those 16 are the only tracks it's pretty disappointing that
we aren't getting Rainbow Road.
[/QUOTE]
IGN says Famitsu says it's 32 total.

I think IGN is on top of their translation of Famitsu a little better than the other guys. They're less confusing at least.

There is no god damn way in hell this game is coming out anywhere anytime soon. Or even soonish.[quote name='mang9432']rubber band AI, and ridiculous item box randomization have ruined this game more than anything in DD especially.[/quote]Rubber band AI was worse in the SNES version...
[quote name='mang9432']and didn't reggie say they were making it super easy for kids to play?[/quote]Not really. It was said that "new players would be able to go against veterans on an equal footing" or something. I think they also said that about Brawl.
They also said that Galaxy was almost too hard at points.
[quote name='mang9432']that means every item is going to be a blue shell or lightning if you are in second place or lower. i'll pass.[/quote]How would that make things easier for anyone?

[quote name='dothog']IGN says Famitsu says it's 32 total.

I think IGN is on top of their translation of Famitsu a little better than the other guys. They're less confusing at least.[/quote]
That's good news.

[quote name='The Crotch']
How would that make things easier for anyone?[/QUOTE]

Makes it easier to steal a win on the last lap if you get the uber powerful weapons more often when trailing late in the race.

[quote name='Kaijufan']That's good news.[/QUOTE]
It is very good news. The last-minute omission of the "old" tracks from DD was one of its major flaws. It's looking like this title is geared toward fans of MKDS: the push for improved wifi play and simplified controls are both direct responses to the wifi troubles and "snaking" concerns.

[quote name='The Crotch']There is no god damn way in hell this game is coming out anywhere anytime soon. Or even soonish.[/QUOTE]
If they did in fact build this using the Mario Kart GP framework, which was run on the GC-like Triforce arcade board, then they could have had a jump on development. Early screenshots resembled MK GP very closely, so it could be that they're in a position to actually meet this Q2 2008 release date.

Based on the Famitsu scans and the rumors out there, it's sounding like this game won't be all that bad. If they can preserve the "good" of MKDS (more tracks, characters, wifi) and maintain the relatively crisp control of MKDS and MKDD (in part via the GC controller), then I would think the game will turn out well enough to not be considered a failure by the general gamer. Those of us karting purists who were holding out for better shortcuts, even tighter controls, a touch more speed, and more aggressive AI (which is to say those of us holding out for, ahem, actual improvements of the non-wifi sort) will be a little disappointed. Oh well. The online MP will be much, much better and the control will be even more accessible, so I guess they figure that makes up for the lack of improvements in non-wifi areas.

The main reason I disliked snaking in MKDS was that it was just plain uncomfortable to do throughout the entire race. Although I'd rather only slide around the corners and not all the way down the straightaways, the fact that it would be using motion controls can probably make it more comfortable and less annoying.

[quote name='The Crotch']It was said that "new players would be able to go against veterans on an equal footing" or something. I think they also said that about Brawl.[/QUOTE]

i was just saying i'd rather have a game where you learning the tracks and your driving skill mattered more than making sure your kid brother can compete with you so he doesn't feel bad. however, i'm well aware that is not nintendo's strategy, which is why i won't be buying this game.

Obviously, this may be a pipe dream, but here's an idea that would greatly improve the quality of Mario Kart.

Tweakable items.

Allow us to change the frequency of which items occur in what positions. Playing with skilled veterans of the game? Set blue shell frequency to low. Playing with some newcomers? Adjust items according to their skill level.

There's times where I want items to help produce a sense of frantic racing and other times where I'm just looking for a skilled race.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Allow us to change the frequency of which items occur in what positions. Playing with skilled veterans of the game? Set blue shell frequency to low. Playing with some newcomers? Adjust items according to their skill level.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the ability to customize quick races/cups beyond lap count is probably something we'll never see. Nintendo just doesn't seem to get the message. It's one of those little improvements that would make a big difference, especially in local MP. I've also been hoping for the possibility to have 4P (local) take place in grand prix races. It sounds like it isn't impossible for the processor, it just isn't going to happen.

DO you guys remember how bad the rubber band AI was in the Blitz games? Now THAT, was ridiculous.

I personally have no problem with it as it makes it more challenging for skilled players to win and less challenging for poor players to do well. It's sort of the great equalizer.

[quote name='dothog']Yeah, the ability to customize quick races/cups beyond lap count is probably something we'll never see. Nintendo just doesn't seem to get the message. It's one of those little improvements that would make a big difference, especially in local MP. I've also been hoping for the possibility to have 4P (local) take place in grand prix races. It sounds like it isn't impossible for the processor, it just isn't going to happen.[/QUOTE]

yeah that would make a huge difference.

[quote name='mang9432']i was just saying i'd rather have a game where you learning the tracks and your driving skill mattered more than making sure your kid brother can compete with you so he doesn't feel bad. however, i'm well aware that is not nintendo's strategy, which is why i won't be buying this game.[/QUOTE]

That has never been much of the gameplay in Mario Kart. It's always been more random and pick up and play friendly than other racing games due to the items.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Makes it easier to steal a win on the last lap if you get the uber powerful weapons more often when trailing late in the race.[/quote]Barring a nerfing of blue shells (Please, Nintendo?) and lightning, a major increase in the frequency of their appearance would break the game. Lead changes would simply be far too frequent, as those items absolutely destroy momentum. The lead would change every single time someone went through a weapon box.

Srsly though, could we change the blue shells? They suck for the guy who has held first place the whole time only to get blown to fucking oblivion by a one-in-a-hundred-chance-to-dodge attack, and they don't help the guy in last one bit. Also, let me flatten cars when they've been shrunk by a lightning bolt. I miss that shit. None of this "spinning out" crap.

[quote name='The Crotch']Srsly though, could we change the blue shells? They suck for the guy who has held first place the whole time only to get blown to fucking oblivion by a one-in-a-hundred-chance-to-dodge attack.[/QUOTE]
With skillz it's more like 1-in-4 or 1-in-3. :p Just sayin'.

[quote name='The Crotch']Barring a nerfing of blue shells (Please, Nintendo?) and lightning, a major increase in the frequency of their appearance would break the game. Lead changes would simply be far too frequent, as those items absolutely destroy momentum. The lead would change every single time someone went through a weapon box.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly, that's what people are worried about. It was annoying enough already and people are afraid they'll make them more frequent to give the casual gamers more of a chance to compete online etc.

Personally I hope they don't becasue I got mad skillz, yet I understand why it's there. At the end of the day it levels the playing field SLIGHTLY b/w those with better skills and those with lesser skills.

And who doesnt like equality right?

Sure, too much can be a bad thing but have any of you ever really been given a run for your money by a complete and utter noob? I haven't. The RBAI therefore is, IMO just right.

[quote name='The Crotch']Rubber band AI was worse in the SNES version...[/QUOTE]

The SNES version was the easiest version to lap the entire field, sometimes by two laps. I don't recall any other MK game allowing you to do that, asuming you don't take shortcuts.

[quote name='pittpizza'] The RBAI therefore is, IMO just right.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. If people expect to beat all the cups at 150cc on one of the first 5 attempts, they're not being realistic. These folks are failing to see all the cheap wins they've gotten because of forgiving AI because they're so focused on a few cheap losses due to AI.

[quote name='dothog']With skillz it's more like 1-in-4 or 1-in-3. :p Just sayin'.[/quote]What can I say? I spent all my time practicing the secret super-dooper-hidden game-winning "Daisy Upskirt" technique instead of blue shell dodging.

[quote name='The Crotch']What can I say? I spent all my time practicing the secret super-dooper-hidden game-winning "Daisy Upskirt" technique instead of blue shell dodging.[/quote]

Which came first, your CAG forum name, or that technique?

[quote name='The Crotch']Rubber band AI...[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I had never heard this term before, so I went and looked it up. Of course, "Mario Kart DS is a particular culprit and a good example of this" is the quote at the bottom of the page. Go figure.

The "rubber band ai" aspect of Mario Kart has never really bothered me, since playing against the CPU can only entertain you for so long. My concern has always been with the unfairness of items.

[quote name='HuppSav']I hope they don't have the babies in this game.[/QUOTE]
And what if they did?

(Word your response carefully or prepare to have your name taken and ass kicked by you-know-who.)
reggie.jpg
[quote name='HuppSav']Anything will be better than double dash was.[/QUOTE]
O SNAP.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Which came first, your CAG forum name, or that technique?[/quote]
I've been using variations on this name in various places for the past six years.

[quote name='Kaijufan']New screens and info, including info on several new tracks. The screenshots also show that Miis will be spectators in some tracks.[/QUOTE]
These screens coupled with the Famitsu info tell most of the story. It's hard to believe that in two months we could really be karting on the Wii. I guess the lead up to SSBB has overshadowed everything else.

It's also amazing how accurate the rumors before and just after E3 were last year. The use of Arcade GP, the controls (stunts, Excite Truck, etc.), battle online, so on. It looks like Nintendo really was very far along when they announced at E3, which makes the Q2 release date seem like a done deal.

It'll be worth checking out. I just hope they're not planning on screwing us on the MSRP because of that ridiculous pack-in.

EDIT: Apparently, IGN got a chance to give it a whirl. Just posted today...
IGN Hands-on Preview of MK Wii

EDIT2: Wow, there's a lot of info in that link. I'm even less optimistic about the control. Wait and see...

[quote name='dothog']EDIT2: Wow, there's a lot of info in that link. I'm even less optimistic about the control. Wait and see...[/QUOTE]

Less optimistic? The article confirms nearly every control method possible, short of using a WiiFit board.

The trick mechanism on the motorbikes sounds a little more simplistic than I was hoping for with canned animations. I was hoping for an Excite Bike sort of situation where you have to try to land flat in order to get a boost and not wreck yourself.

bread's done
Back