Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

I definitely want to play some of you guys in the next week or so. In the last week, I finally went through and got all the cups finished.

[quote name='buttle']oh baby i had a rough night.

3 things.
1. sorry about the second koopa cape. i was just pressing buttons. my bad.
[/QUOTE]It happens, so no worries.

[quote name='Daisydog']How is mirror mode determined for online races? I was so confused through most of that, but I did manage to finish in the top 4 quite a few times. And I even won the last cup we did! (although everyone claims they played their worst tonight so that must be why :cold:)[/QUOTE]I have no idea. I never unlocked it, and it comes up.

[quote name='wubb']Yeah the game doesn't do that great of a job in dividing the teams.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, it's terrible. That's why I kind of hate doing it.

[quote name='botticus']Sorry I couldn't make it. Nice string of thunderstorms rolled through around 9, figured it wouldn't be a good idea to sit there with all my electronics booted up.[/QUOTE]It happens. I usually don't host in Thunderstorms either.

[quote name='Rig']I definitely want to play some of you guys in the next week or so. In the last week, I finally went through and got all the cups finished.[/QUOTE]You are already on my list, so joining would be easy.

[quote name='ZForce915']But it takes that much time just for those things to drop from the sky.[/quote]

It actually doesn't. 13 seconds is legit. I couldn't believe it either:

http://wiifolder.com/?p=21

This is 16 seconds but you get the idea. I've actually seen the 13 second video but I can't find it for some reason.

Wow, I guess if it can be done in 17 seconds then 13 isn't so unbeliveable. Although it still seems like it would be next to impossible. If you dig up the video, link it for me I want to see it.

Ugh.

My races keep getting disconnected. The race will begin, and somewhere during the race, it will give me the disconnect screen. Could be one race in...could be five. It's pissing me off to no end, watching my rank go in the toilet. (I get deducted points after these disconnects.)

I wouldn't think it's my connection...as Brawl (and my Internet) work just fine without problems. These are fairly frequent.

[quote name='Rig']Ugh.

My races keep getting disconnected. The race will begin, and somewhere during the race, it will give me the disconnect screen. Could be one race in...could be five. It's pissing me off to no end, watching my rank go in the toilet. (I get deducted points after these disconnects.)

I wouldn't think it's my connection...as Brawl (and my Internet) work just fine without problems. These are fairly frequent.[/QUOTE]

I was having this problem although it would disconnect every single race for me.

I switched the router's channel to 11 and that fixed it somehow so I'd give that a try. I hear 1 or 11 is good to use with the Wii.

Well, I finally gave in and bought this game after trying it a couple times at friends' houses and thinking it was boring. I was just so goddamn annoyed by the flood of items that were thrown at me constantly. I loved SNES and N64 Mario Kart but this just felt so chaotic and random. It reminded me of how I felt when I played Smash Bros Brawl.

Long story short: my wife wanted the game so I bought it along with an extra wheel. I have played it for the past few days and I really enjoy it. The overflow of powerups doesn't bother me anymore (although the Bullet Bill thing is just fucking ridiculous and should have been left out), the wheel works great, and the slide/boost feels just right.

I played online today for the first time for about an hour and it was smooth, easy, and fun. This is a 180 degree turn from the Smash Bros online experience was for me. In Smash Bros, it would take 10 minutes just to get enough players for a match and there was lag far more often than there should be. I was paired up with 11 mofos in Mario Kart within seconds, had no connection or lag problems, and ran through a dozen races of pure fun. Although, for someone who has never driven this version of Rainbow Road, it was a little unfair when people would keep picking it. They would blaze through it while myself and a bunch of other people were flailing around. ;)

I'm friends with everyone I've seen on Mario Kart games with TMK, so if people still want a game Saturday I might be able to step up to it.

*Doesn't have MGS4, a PS3, and still hasn't started MGS2 or MGS3*

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I still need to unlock Rosalina.[/QUOTE]
I am missing something here? A Wii owner who has never even played Mario Galaxy? I sincerely hope you just have your save game on a SD card, otherwise you have missed out on the best Mario game since 64.

Rosalina is like exponentially less annoying than Peach. My wife always picked Peach and the voice grated the hell out of me. She now picks Rosalina and life is so much better. Plus the little star thing* is helluva cute.

*I forget what they are called.

[quote name='Doomed']I'm friends with everyone I've seen on Mario Kart games with TMK, so if people still want a game Saturday I might be able to step up to it.

*Doesn't have MGS4, a PS3, and still hasn't started MGS2 or MGS3*[/quote]

I also dont own a ps3 so i cant enjoy mgs4. i just have this stupid xbox 360 that i dont even play. (prays mgs4 gets ported)

so if anyone wants to play a game at 6est today still you all should post here.

I might be able to play tonight, depending on whether or not I have to drive my sister to the grad party she wants to go to. :bomb:

[quote name='Zing']I am missing something here? A Wii owner who has never even played Mario Galaxy? I sincerely hope you just have your save game on a SD card, otherwise you have missed out on the best Mario game since 64.

Rosalina is like exponentially less annoying than Peach. My wife always picked Peach and the voice grated the hell out of me. She now picks Rosalina and life is so much better. Plus the little star thing* is helluva cute.

*I forget what they are called.[/QUOTE]

I've only had my Wii since February, and I knew coming in that after Smash Brothers and Mario Kart it'd be a while before I could afford more full-priced games. As it stands, I'm still too broke to afford Mario Galaxy. :cry:

I plan on buying it and a few others I've missed (Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers, Metroid Prime 3, maybe Fire Emblem) in the future, but that hasn't happened yet. And as for renting, it's a Mario game - I'm going to play it more than a few times over the years, so I'm just going to wait and buy it instead.

Okami, Mario Galaxy, Cooking Mama, and Wario Ware are on my "to buy" list. But I have Gamefly so I've already played and ended them all. I've actually been renting Mario Kart this entire time :bomb: because I can't find a store that has it in stock. It's one of the rare games I'd pay full price for. Now I just have to find it!

I don't want to make any promises about playing today. But I'll probably be here. I always am :lol:

There's a chance I might change my mind, since I just got a new Wii remote + nunchuk (for a 2nd player) and I feel like testing it, but not likely (I really want to play more MGS4).

If my mind changes, you will all know.

I guess the plan is at 6PM EST either TMK or me is hosting. If I'm not here at 6EST I probably forgot and someone else can host. Hoping that won't happen, but you gotta plan for the worst.

And I always say this, but I fucking hate Super Mario Galaxy.

I'll try to join you guys now. My brother is downloading all day and I haven't been able to get into a race or a brawl without disconnecting :cry:
Trying it now...

[quote name='Doomed']Nope, just lonely me.

edit: Nobody showed up. I'm gonna close the room now.[/QUOTE]I'm sorry to hear that Doomed.:whistle2:( I put part of the blame on myself by not bugging everyone, and getting tied up in something.

There will be Mario Kart Monday for sure. I'll make sure everyone remembers. :)

Regarding my bumping complaints:
The difference between the Magikruiser and the Jet Bubble is jaw dropping! Maybe I've just gotten better, but with the Jet Bubble if I bumped into someone I would go flying off the stage, or lose all of my speed instantly.
In the Magikruiser I was actually ramming other characters and hitting them away. Only against the heavier characters would I lose speed.
I like the look of the Jet Bubble but it's dead to me now :lol:

That was only against computer characters, but I expect to do much better in online play from now on.
What is the best bike anyway?

--
I won't be able to play tonight for the same reason as last time :bomb:
That better be some top notch anime he's getting or there's going to be blood.

Only a few showed up, but I thank those who came. I apologize to Doomed for stopping after the 2nd time he played (I played like 5 rounds yesterday of games). I ended up getting EXTREMELY tired to a point I could not stay awake (which explains why I did REALLY bad the last set of races).

I'll try to make sure more are well aware of Mario Kart next week (I should have sent PMs to several).

I was on way after you guys were done last night - I like the new tournament. I hope turnout for the tournaments has been good enough that they keep making new ones for a long time. I'd also like to see a Nintendo-sponsored tournament structured around racing others. I wouldn't expect them to coordinate tiers necessarily, but it could be random opponents and then cumulative scores after a series of races.

Darn, I forgot about Mario Kart Mondays--I was trying to get some play time with my Halo guitar (but didn't do that either...stupid amp...long story...).

I should add MKM to my calendar...I never miss anything when I put it there.

EDIT: New tournament? Is that why mah Wii is blinking? Must go see...
EDIT #2: Ah, so there is; it was for Wii OS update, too...

"It's time to play."

If you're referring to the online tournaments sponsored by Nintendo, those don't require Friend Codes at all.

If you're referring to CAG's Unofficial "Mario Kart Mondays", I think the only one you need is that of the one hosting the room...

i've been really enjoying the new tournament. i wish though that i could ghosts like normal time trials. i'm at just over 2:00 minutes now. i'm curious to see the videos of the world record times. i'm not sure how to take off a full 8 seconds. there must be something somewhat big that i'm missing.

[quote name='masked lemon']How in the blue hell do I make my Wii a Medium? I can get either L or S... never M.[/quote]

I'm not sure...mine's a medium: he's tall, but skinny. Just keep tinkering with the dimensions is all I can think of...

I think my skills at this gamer are regressing. :D

Had a rough stretch last night where I came in the bottom half 4+ races in a row. At least one of those I came in dead last. But then in the last race I managed to somehow pull out a 1st place finish and the game sucked me back in.

[quote name='wubb']I think my skills at this gamer are regressing. :D

Had a rough stretch last night where I came in the bottom half 4+ races in a row. At least one of those I came in dead last. But then in the last race I managed to somehow pull out a 1st place finish and the game sucked me back in.[/quote]
I've always been terrible, but the online competition does seem to have been getting better. I still enjoy it, even when I come in in the bottom half. That occasional first makes it all worth it.

Anyone happen to have a list of all the times needed for one star in every course?

I'm getting damn tired of doing so well on a race only to get nailed by powerups at really inopportune moments and losing my shot. It would be a lot easier to stomach if I knew what I was actually aiming at. Gamefaqs really isn't pulling through for me on this one.

Well I switched to a wavebird from the Wii wheel and found I do much much better. 2 starred a 150cc grand prix (hadn't starred any 150cc w/ the wheel) on my first go and then hopped online and finished 1st in about half my races and I don't think I was lower than 5th in any of them. The wheel is fun, but I guess I'll be using the wavebird now.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Anyone happen to have a list of all the times needed for one star in every course?

I'm getting damn tired of doing so well on a race only to get nailed by powerups at really inopportune moments and losing my shot. It would be a lot easier to stomach if I knew what I was actually aiming at. Gamefaqs really isn't pulling through for me on this one.[/QUOTE]

I think it might be a factor of how many seconds you win by, not overall time, and I read somewhere it might be related to not hitting many walls. But yeah if anybody knows or found a guide somewhere that nails it down I'd be curious.

any talk of the new tournament?
this is my favorite tournament yet.

if you like time trials, you should definitely get in there and see if you can beat 2 minutes.

[quote name='buttle']any talk of the new tournament?
this is my favorite tournament yet.

if you like time trials, you should definitely get in there and see if you can beat 2 minutes.[/quote]
I love this tournament. I suck at it, but I love it.

bread's done
Back