Mario party 8

xeno

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
uu since there is no thread for this game(unless i suck at searching) ....im making one :) so ea it comes out next week and its gona be FUN!

I've had this game pre-ordered since the EB Trade-2 Wii Games Get One Free deal, but since then I've seen literally zero threads in here about it. That doesn't bode well for me -- is this game not expected to be top tier?

BTW, the last Mario Party game I played was on the 64.

[quote name='defiance_17']Thanks?[/QUOTE]

270911970_db35fdd4ca.jpg

Nooooot interested in this game lol. Bought 2 for N64, a couple for GCN, once 5 came out I just realized they'd never stop making these games and they became just more of the same, so I haven't played/bought one since...

[quote name='banpeikun']if it's not delayed, i'm amazed there's been so little talk about it[/QUOTE]

Maybe because it's just another mini-game compilation among the millions of Wii mini-game compilations?

I'm pretty excited about this, although I won't be picking it up at launch. I'm certain it'll be good - Nintendo loves their minigames and now they can really excercise some creativity - but I already own two minigame comps on the Wii. I'll be picking this one up either when I make more money or when it drops to $40 or $30.

Again, I still think this game's gonna kick ass.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I hope my TRU Google Check-out order comes through. If you get yours, please post so we know. (I placed the original order back in January.)[/QUOTE]

Hehe, I completely forgot about that. I have one ordered that way but also have one preordered at EB (from the trade 2 Wii games deal ;)).

This is a MUST BUY for me at release. I have 3 kids and have an extra remote stored up just for this occasion (already had 3). We played Rayman at launch and haven't touched it since, and played through Wario Ware pretty quickly. While this may just be "more minigames" to some, this will be THE minigame collection to beat them all. We played the GC versions (have them all) tons and are looking forward to this one. My youngest son also likes playing them single-player so we'll definitely get our money's worth out of it.

It has a pretty firm release date so I seriously doubt it is delayed. And I don't think lack of coverage is because of the CAG bias against the Wii ("it's just a mingame machine"). I just think there's a lot going on now (Halo beta, etc). It will get covered next week I'm sure.

While this IS a minigame collection (and I don't have a single problem with that) the recent announcements that Metroid/Mario Galaxy/SSBB are all coming out THIS year should dispell at least some of the hate...

[quote name='snipegod']I've had this game pre-ordered since the EB Trade-2 Wii Games Get One Free deal, but since then I've seen literally zero threads in here about it. That doesn't bode well for me -- is this game not expected to be top tier?[/QUOTE]

Nah... Nintendo always brings the fun (and the funny pain!) with the MP series. It's just that this is *number eight* in the series -- and on a system cluttered with mini-game comps -- and has therefore elicited a similar level of excitement as a new Tony Hawk game, maybe less so. At least Tony Hawk is a "tougher/cooler" brand than Mario amongst the testosterone crowd.

Still, there is no better party series than Mario Party. Gather some friends, crack a few beers, and let the bon temps roulette.

I did a pre-order because of a GameStop promo, but even I'm not hyper-stoked about it. I know it'll be polished and fun, and I'll play it a fair bit, but it kinda is what it is, you know?

[quote name='supershammy']I'll be picking this one up either when I make more money or when it drops to $40 or $30.

Again, I still think this game's gonna kick ass.[/quote]

Available on May 30 at CC for only 39.99
Thanks Speedy

I agree Scobie - it is Mario Party and nothing more. We all know what it will be like. The big difference, of course, is the Wii-based controls, which will refresh the franchise a bit in any case. Though I bought all the GC versions, I think ANOTHER of the exact-same kind of compilation would have been too much. This will definitely mix things up, yet we all know exactly what the games will be like, so it won't be anything revolutionary or surprising. (I am WAY more interested in this than any Tony Hawk sequel though ;)).

The more I think about it, the more I realize they probably never intended to take this one online. Of course, that will be for Mario Party 9!

tinytim - I forgot about that little bit of news too. I think I also have this preordered at Gamecrazy (just put $5 on it there WAY back). I think I'll try to pricematch that CC sale and get it at GC for $40, then just switch my EB preorder to Metroid. (I only know of one GC that pricematches by the way - most don't).

I knowww! Next week! I'm really excited. I played the SHIT out of 6! 7 was pretty cool too..
Now let's hope that Mario Party 9 (ya know it will happen) is online :)

[quote name='snipegod']
BTW, the last Mario Party game I played was on the 64.[/QUOTE]

The only good one was the first one, they've gone steadily downhill ever since. That being said, I'm in on the TRU deal. If that doesn't go through, it is unlikely I will ever purchase it unless it gets rave reviews(which is unlikely).

They need to make a giant Mario Party game to where all the minigames from every previous title is accessible. Imagine a pool of 500 minigames to choose from on the game board.

[quote name='Snake2715']I was excited but the fact that Nintendo Power rated it 7.5 is a bit worrying.[/QUOTE]

What did they say the cons were...?

I don't expect a great game out of this. However, I am a fan of the Mario Party series. So I just HOPE that it's "If you enjoy Mario Party, you'll still enjoy this"..rather it being a game where 40% of the mini-games are boring/BROKEN.

[quote name='lilboo']What did they say the cons were...?

I don't expect a great game out of this. However, I am a fan of the Mario Party series. So I just HOPE that it's "If you enjoy Mario Party, you'll still enjoy this"..rather it being a game where 40% of the mini-games are boring/BROKEN.[/QUOTE]
I didnt have time to read the review I will look tonight.

I am kinda excited for this game as long as the playing boards don't suck ass like they did in MP4 (which was the last one I played) because of it.

[quote name='dallow']No online, no buy.
It's not that fun anyway, and I don't have that many Wii friends that come over to justify it.[/quote]
I believe the majority of people who bought a Wii will have people to play with. So it wont justify for nintendo to bing out wi-fi for this game just yet. Maybe for the next Mario Party.

:lol: and sorry that reply made me think of this.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-b6RfYVGI[/media]

90 from Gamepro on Metacritic

GamePro
Played alone, against the computer, the game is barely worth popping out of its case. But, having even one other human opponent ups the fun exponentially--you just can't get the same satisfaction out of trash talking against a faceless computerized enemy.

[quote name='musicnoteless']I believe the majority of people who bought a Wii will have people to play with. So it wont justify for nintendo to bing out wi-fi for this game just yet. Maybe for the next Mario Party.

:lol: and sorry that reply made me think of this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-b6RfYVGI[/quote]

Hehe, I used to do that.

[quote name='Vinny']Damn... I'm wondering if I should get this. It'll $40 at CC during launch week I think.[/QUOTE]

Wow really. I would pick it up at that price for sure.

so CC has it for 40 bucks on release week ? Is that the best deal so far ?

And if someone gets a copy early please make sure to tell us all how it is.

I'm not a big fan of the Mario Party games, but I can't see how online would help this. Mario Party is a party game, meant to be played with other people in the room. I don't see a game like MP being any different when played online as opposed to playing against the computer.

[quote name='daroga']I'm not a big fan of the Mario Party games, but I can't see how online would help this. Mario Party is a party game, meant to be played with other people in the room. I don't see a game like MP being any different when played online as opposed to playing against the computer.[/quote]

That is probably Nintendo's viewpoint, but I think you could argue that pretty much any multiplayer game is better when you are playing the in the same room. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have an online alternative. If you have ever played Mario Party against the computer, you know how painful that experience is. Playing against another human, even online, would have to be better.

Plenty of games that are traditionally played in the same room are moving into the online realm. Online poker, cards, boardgames, etc., are all common and pretty popular. Hell, XBLA just got Catan recently.

My wife and I typically play Mario Party games with my in-laws. Now that we have a toddler, it's a lot harder to get together to play MP like we used to. Being able to play them online (and other friends and CAGs as well) would be a nice addition.

Considering that I only turn on my Wii when friends are over, this will probably be a required purchase. I, too, am sick of all the mini-games getting released on Wii. I just hope this can be the one that actually has substance, good pacing, and longevity.

We have always bought these games they are way fun to play with friends. But the last two or even three have not been that good at all. Even if this one isnt online I would love to see them beef it up a bit.

I can't wait for this, it was delayed from March until now and its the best game to play multiplayer. I just hope the minigames aren't gimmicks like in Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz. I'll never forget how mad I got at my gf for finding two hidden stars in a row to win a game. Mario Party has a way of evening out the gap between experts and novices, especially with the Wiimote (as seen in Wii Sports) people that don't play video games will have a shot to win, thats what I like most about the series.

I have my copy pre-ordered and pre-paid at EB. My girlfriend, daughter and myself like the party/mini games on the Wii. I think it's correct in saying that if you don't have Wii friends or someone to play the mini games with, then probably not going to be that great.
They do have single player gaming on the "mini game" compilations so it keeps this genre of gaming open and not secluded to one type of customer or fan base.
I personally don't believe that Nintendo or any other "mini game" developer concentrates or intends on making single player gaming the top priority. The whole idea is to get other Wii owners, friends or family togther and interested in the video game industry = more Wii consoles and software sold! Nintendo has always catered more to the "family" atmosphere of gaming. With the introduction of the Wii console and the host of "mini game" compilations coming on board for the Wii (and past Nintendo game systems), whipping out the Monopoly or Clue game on a Friday night will soon be a thing of the past. Now it's about getting the family or friends together for a night of MP8, Wario, or Wii Sports. Not to mention, I get great enjoyment out of talking smack to my girlfriend and my 8 year old daughter when we play togther!!! :lol:

[quote name='gleasone'] Not to mention, I get great enjoyment out of talking smack to my girlfriend and my 8 year old daughter when we play togther!!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I talk smack to my 10 year-old daughter and my 7 and 4 year-old sons - but only because they start talling smack first ;). Can't wait for SSBB for this reason, but MP8 will do in the mean time. Yes, I AM an adult with responsibilities!

Has anyone caught the commercial yet? Nothing special.. Same thing like the rest. 2 Japanese men roll up at someones house, bow, and tell them Wii would like to play. Inside, there's balloons and a party goin on and everyone is having the time of their life playing Mario Party 8..lol

Even 4 girls having a sleep over are playing this game! Wow!
But seriously, I am excited. LOOOOVE Mario Party games!

I'll be buying this. I'd hesitate if I had to pay, but I have a $50 RZ cert that's about to expire, so I'll be buying this.

I don't play much multiplayer, but I haven't played a Mario Party since N64, so it's time. Besides, I already got rid of the other two minigame collections I had on the Wii (Wario and Rayman) so I need one.

[quote name='kmartbum001']No online play until 2008. Stop crying.[/quote]

Mario Strikers Charged and Pokemon Battle Revolution disagree with you.

[quote name='Spades22']Nooooot interested in this game lol. Bought 2 for N64, a couple for GCN, once 5 came out I just realized they'd never stop making these games and they became just more of the same, so I haven't played/bought one since...[/QUOTE]

Not to say you weren't justified, since 5 was one of the worst, but 6 was pure awesome. That being said, I won't buy another until online play is added.

Have they added anything to the single player side? Is it gonna be more fleshed out than the others? I know this series wasn't really tailored to single play. but I want something I can also get into when I have free time, since I've yet to purchase any of the previous Mario Party titles.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Not to say you weren't justified, since 5 was one of the worst, but 6 was pure awesome.[/QUOTE]

True on both counts. My friends and I actually unlocked *everything* in 6. That's a lotta gaming, and a lotta MP ganking. :)

[quote name='Over easy']I do need 4 controllers to play 4-players, right?[/QUOTE]

I would hope so. Passing the controller WarioWare-style would make for a pretty poor Mario party game ;).

[quote name='Over easy']I do need 4 controllers to play 4-players, right?[/quote]

I would have to think so since all the multiplayer games require you to all play at the same time.

bread's done
Back