Marvel Puzzle Quest Discussion Thread

quicksilver pvp

quick question - if I make a blue match and causes the 4th locked tile, shouldn't the other team take the dmg and not me?

NVM its whomever causes the 5th locked tile.

Last edited by a moderator:
So of course as I am trying so hard to finally have a 4* roster they introduce a 5* character. Ugh. Eff me haha

But it looks like they may be doing a more easy transition then for people like me with these Legendary tokens.

http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary_Token

Still basically boils down to me probably just getting that one every 5 days from the Deadpool Daily stuff. Making it a progression reward in the story events though will urge me to play them more often probably and I am not sure if I will ever really push in PvP enough to get 10k in a season. Even now I have done more PvP than I have in forever it feels like and still I am only at 4699. Oh and speaking of this was the first Heroic 10 Pack I have earned from a season for probably the past 8 or 9 seasons now and of course literally not a single cover I could use as expected haha Womp womp wompppp

I hit a milestone today though with my 3*s in that every single 3* available is now AT LEAST at 102 though most are 120+ but it was just that damn Quicksilver that has been sitting with only a couple covers until now.

How do heck do I beat a lvl 275 cyke with only WeaponX @ lvl 150?
I think the standard procedure is to fail 3-4 times, then post here about how silly it is to design an event so only people with nearly maxed 4*s can get another 4* token.

I think the standard procedure is to fail 3-4 times, then post here about how silly it is to design an event so only people with nearly maxed 4*s can get another 4* token.
Yeah this is ridiculous. I was so stoked this morning to load up MPQ and finally get a guaranteed 4* and then I saw I could only use X-Force and shit myself (literally I was on the toilet!). Hah but seriously yeah that is so stupid that their thought is to have an ease to 4* transition (since they release a new 4* every two weeks now basically) by giving us a node only people with strong 4*s can get.

I was super determined and so I used all my ISO I had this morning and got my X-Force to at least 140 and tried about 4 times using all different boosts. Finally I was able to actually beat it by just focusing on red and black tiles so that Cyclops couldnt get them seeing as either of those moves were OHKOs to my Wolverine. After all of that I got a Yellow Thing. Not the most exciting but it is something.

In the end though today is the only day that I could ever really get this token. X-Force is my highest 4* whereas pretty much everyone else is sitting at 74 with two covers. I got lucky today but no way I could get lucky with any other 4* being the essential (except MAYYYBEEE Invisible Woman).

I did get him to 170hp then he optic blast me.

got down to 300 hp then he optic blast me again.

steal his red but it doesnt do as much dmg.

seems that yellows are very helpful then green then black.

Depending on your patience, assess the board you start with. If you get a crappy board (full of red, for example), retreat. Logan heals quickly, so you won't waste a health pack. If you really want to stack the deck, retreat if you don't see a match five in Green/Black/Yellow.

Still won't mean you'll win, just gives you a better starting position.

I beat it on the second attempt using two +1 boosts to green/black. I also have a maxed character. I focused on collecting black and green and ignored everything else. If you collect enough yellow, use the offensive version of the power unless you are in danger of losing to match damage. You are not going to be able to heal enough to offset either Cyke power, and he'll be gunning for yellow anyway.

Oh, and if you don't follow the official forums, the next character will be Nick Fury, if you want to start planning now.

Oh, and if you don't follow the official forums, the next character will be Nick Fury, if you want to start planning now.
Mine is sitting at 1/3/1 lvl 115 so not much I can plan unfortunately : (

I really wish this were basically a Gauntlet final node type thing rather that what it is. It would make way more sense if it were like the Reed Richards node in the last Gauntlet. I am fine with us needing at least ONE cover of the selected 4* but just make it where we can use other characters and then just ramp up the difficulty on the node itself with it 3v3. That way it still is somewhat exclusive, still really hard to beat BUT is at least obtainable.

I wonder how come the other 4* are locked out. Did I miss reading something?
The intention is for each node to be a grudge match of some kind between the featured character and a thematic opponent.

General consensus is that the Team Up disparity is a bug. Either you should both be able to bring one, or neither.

I really wish this were basically a Gauntlet final node type thing rather that what it is. It would make way more sense if it were like the Reed Richards node in the last Gauntlet. I am fine with us needing at least ONE cover of the selected 4* but just make it where we can use other characters and then just ramp up the difficulty on the node itself with it 3v3. That way it still is somewhat exclusive, still really hard to beat BUT is at least obtainable.
Yeah, and then we end up with that impossible Ultron/She-Hulk/Loki node from the one before. :joystick:

Is it wrong of me to feed canon fodders to Galactus?
Not at all. If you don't have a strong px/ww/gsbw team, round 6+ is a suicide machine. Do whatever damage you can, then retreat instead of making a final turn.

Our lowly CAGvengers is not doing squat it seems : (

I absolutely love 90s Cyclops and have his cover in real life sitting right next to me on my shelf. As always though my 4* roster is lacking so now that we are on Round 4 even my damage output to Galactus is not nearly as high as I would like. I am able to do decently with Patch, Iron Fist and Hood. IF's attack tile is about 600 powered up and with Patch boosted to where he is and the fact that he takes most of the board with that team, means his red absolutely destroys if I can pull it off. Hood then of course is in the background trying to get whatever little AP he can and there in the off chance I can somehow score enough yellow. 

Also I am a freaking idiot and spent $50 on HP with this current sale. I thought I would be ultra ballsy and get the 40 pack of the current event as to maybe making my Jean Grey remotely usable and getting a start on Cyclops. I do not know if that will work even however since the game effed up and didn't give me the full amount I bought, awesome. I double checked with Google Play and it went through but I only got the base amount of HP not the 30% bonus.... I most certainly would not have spent that much had there not been the bonus. Support still has not gotten back to me and said it could take up to 72 hours which is pretty shitty since the event will be basically over by then. Awesome.

px - Professor X[/size]
ww - ???[/size]
gsbw - Black Widow Grey Suit[/size]
WW is supposed to be SW, Scarlet Witch.

The downside is that once you get to round 6, unless you can match away a lot of the initial countdowns, her blue tile won't have time to pop before you die. Too bad she's the only purple feeder.

Also I am a freaking idiot and spent $50 on HP with this current sale. I thought I would be ultra ballsy and get the 40 pack of the current event as to maybe making my Jean Grey remotely usable and getting a start on Cyclops. I do not know if that will work even however since the game effed up and didn't give me the full amount I bought, awesome. I double checked with Google Play and it went through but I only got the base amount of HP not the 30% bonus.... I most certainly would not have spent that much had there not been the bonus. Support still has not gotten back to me and said it could take up to 72 hours which is pretty shitty since the event will be basically over by then. Awesome.
I saw someone have the same problem on the official forums, and it got resolved quickly. Hope you have the same experience. I was planning on buying a big pack as well, getting a little gun shy. Waiting on Ice Man to be added to the Legendaries so I can redeem my stockpile, then see how the covers fall.

Yep - that was meant to be pX/SW/gsbw.

For what it's worth, I've beaten round6 with two teams so far (as a person lacking a decent pX):

* Patch/Daken/Loki:   if you're lucky with the board, throw patch green/red and loki purple whenever it's available

* Hulk/Fury/Falcon:    make sure Hulk's in front when the CD timers hit 0, then smash away

Yep - that was meant to be pX/SW/gsbw.

For what it's worth, I've beaten round6 with two teams so far (as a person lacking a decent pX):
* Patch/Daken/Loki: if you're lucky with the board, throw patch green/red and loki purple whenever it's available
* Hulk/Fury/Falcon: make sure Hulk's in front when the CD timers hit 0, then smash away
Out of curiosity, what is Fury bringing to the table, demolition tiles?

First, Fury & Falcon both didn't cover any Hulk colors. Next, Fury's purple packed a decent punch (and blue helped too).

Of course, later it became clear that Hulk/Storm3/OBW was the actual way to go for rounds 6-8 if you don't have a usable pX.

Almost beat the 4* Deadpool Daily with a level 94 poorly covered Dino; are they finally making it easier? Looks like the enemy is only 222 which should make the rest a bit easier, just wish it happened for the 4hor node last week since she is my best 4* and I couldn't even get it done. 

hmm will have

Almost beat the 4* Deadpool Daily with a level 94 poorly covered Dino; are they finally making it easier? Looks like the enemy is only 222 which should make the rest a bit easier, just wish it happened for the 4hor node last week since she is my best 4* and I couldn't even get it done.
will have to give this a try

The speculation is it's for the second anniversary. She's level 222 and covered at 2/2/2. Would be nice if they made it easier going forwards though. I assume you are, but make sure you are using boosts to help since you can't use team-ups.

The speculation is it's for the second anniversary. She's level 222 and covered at 2/2/2. Would be nice if they made it easier going forwards though. I assume you are, but make sure you are using boosts to help since you can't use team-ups.
Took 3 tries. boosted the hell out of Dino (lvl27) - purple move was useless but hopeful in it helping. Just need to prevent her from putting those shields or at least clear them out as fast as you can.

Got a Sam Wilson.

I brought my Dino up to like 120 or so and have been using max boosts and still no luck... Ugh.
mine is 2/2/2

Finally got Cage to the correct build, working on IF next. Who is a good 3rd candidate for this team? currently using Blade.

I'm assuming 3*, since Hulkbuster is the obvious partner.

Blade is good, but you get conflicts on purple - both the loss of the free attack tile if it gets destroyed, and the power usage. However, a red heavy board will start chewing through the enemy on turn 2. And depending on who you are fighting, IF purple into Blade black could fuel another power or set up a loop.

Cyclops is a great option, especially if you hide him behind Cage on yellow and black.

Scarlet Witch will accelerate IF's purple, if you want to focus on the 5AP purple punch or want to use Cage's Jabs.

If you want an AP-drain proof team, Daken would make that attack tile pack a bigger punch and let you absorb mid-range damage that gets past the defense tile.

Another decent option would be Black Panther, his yellow does the same thing as Daken (and on a non-conflicting color), and IF can power up Rage of the Panther. Depending on how you spec Cage, though, you might get conflicts on what to use on yellow and black, and his blue will stop the free defense tile from popping.

Loki/Hood works well to keep the other team down, Loki can help when someone puts out big (or many) defense tiles like an opposing Cage, Thing, Falcon or Captain America.

Speaking of, consider Falcon for PvE, especially survival nodes - blue can clean up the board when facing goon countdowns, and yellow can slowly build up both of your free tiles as you prepare an uppercut. Ignore purple unless you need to spam the board (like Caltrops or Demolition is in play).

Couldn't manage to get that damn Squirrel Girl down. Tried quite a few times and leveled him up too but no dice. I tried again late last night and was just getting annoyed so I gave up. Womp womp womp. I really want some more 4*!

My 4hor is finally above the 3* cap sitting at like 168 but her powers are still not as leveled up as I would like.. plus those powers suck compared to what they used to be. My logic though is if I can at least get one average 4* up to a good level then getting other covers for more 4*s should in theory be easier, right?

I'm assuming 3*, since Hulkbuster is the obvious partner. Only 1 cover so this is not an option.

Blade is good, but you get conflicts on purple - both the loss of the free attack tile if it gets destroyed, and the power usage. However, a red heavy board will start chewing through the enemy on turn 2. And depending on who you are fighting, IF purple into Blade black could fuel another power or set up a loop.

This is what I have right now, but Blade is taking all the hits and he's squishy.

Cyclops is a great option, especially if you hide him behind Cage on yellow and black.

Nothing here.

Scarlet Witch will accelerate IF's purple, if you want to focus on the 5AP purple punch or want to use Cage's Jabs.

1 Cover

If you want an AP-drain proof team, Daken would make that attack tile pack a bigger punch and let you absorb mid-range damage that gets past the defense tile.

Another decent option would be Black Panther, his yellow does the same thing as Daken (and on a non-conflicting color), and IF can power up Rage of the Panther. Depending on how you spec Cage, though, you might get conflicts on what to use on yellow and black, and his blue will stop the free defense tile from popping.

Loki/Hood works well to keep the other team down, Loki can help when someone puts out big (or many) defense tiles like an opposing Cage, Thing, Falcon or Captain America.

Speaking of, consider Falcon for PvE, especially survival nodes - blue can clean up the board when facing goon countdowns, and yellow can slowly build up both of your free tiles as you prepare an uppercut. Ignore purple unless you need to spam the board (like Caltrops or Demolition is in play).
I will test out the options you gave to see what fits the play still.

Thanks for the comments.

think my lvl 90 Elektra can take on lvl 227 blade?
Probably not. You may get a good board, but if he manages anything, you're done for. It took 7 tries for me with a level 166 3/1/4 Elektra. I think Blade is in the 270's, not 227 too. Like Koju said, what covers do you have for Elektra?

Probably not. You may get a good board, but if he manages anything, you're done for. It took 7 tries for me with a level 166 3/1/4 Elektra. I think Blade is in the 270's, not 227 too. Like Koju said, what covers do you have for Elektra?
yes sorry. lvl 270.

2/1/0 - i barely did more than 10% to his health.

I am sitting on a 5/1/0 Elektra at only level 132 and I really doubt I will be able to beat Blade. I would have to just be beyond lucky as poop to pull it off and really I dnot feel like wasting hours trying and failing like I did with Devil Dino : /

Bah, I tried a couple times with some boosts and I can get him kind of close, just a few thousand health but once he pulls off his purple I am dead.

Both of you would need to focus on collecting purple while managing red and black. If you can get purple quickly, and can keep the red on the board borderline, you can set up a sequence where he makes red strike tiles, you steal some, then match away the other ones he makes.

Still, you both would need to be really lucky with your starting boards. Anything that leads to Blade getting enough black or purple is game over - and too much red on the board will kill you with match damage.

think my lvl 90 Elektra can take on lvl 227 blade?
i came close at taking him out with my level 88... If i had one more black stone i think i would of won.. Then again i have 5 reds and i think 3 of the shadow steps.. Was able to get out 3 Ballet of deaths before he killed me (was doing like 3k per round damage)

After a couple thousand ISO spent on boosts and about ten tries I finally got Blade down.... and of course I got a freaking Yellow X-Force. I swear this game is trying to tell me to stop playing and yet I just do not listen.

So... how about that new Wolverine?
Her new powers are intriguing enough and having a 4* that can heal basically each turn would be really nice. As has been the problem though is the crazy fast release rate for all of these. As if it weren't hard enough to get a fully covered or even usable 4* but the more they add the harder it is. I am completely stuck in 3* land. My 4hor is like 196 and is 4/3/3 but even that isn't that great. Nearly all of my 4*s are sitting at completely unusable levels and there is no sign of them getting better any time soon : /

I am back to pretty much doing the DPD since I am getting bummed about my lack of 4*s hah

Getting top spot in the release events really accelerates the 4* progress (not easy, I know), as does the progression Legendary Token in PvE.

I don't think it was the case in the current event (I joined super late, and gunning for top 2 is skewing my perspective), but pretty much every other event has a reachable Legendary if you do the 8 hour clears. You can ignore the grinds assuming you have all three required characters, and if you don't, just grind the last sub if you need the extra points (later subs are usually worth more points). Considering that doing those clears will net you ISO for leveling and probably decent placement for some HP or tokens, it is a fairly 'casual' way to advance if you can play about three times a day for thirty minutes at a time. Plus, it offsets the agony of a 4* cover you can't use when you get yet another IW yellow.

(I put 'casual' because playing on a schedule for days at a time really isn't a casual activity, but rather, in comparison to the competitive play model of trying to fight for top placement. But at least you don't have to hit the three clears at exactly 8 hours each.)

As far as I'm concerned, the 1k PvP target is probably the easiest way to grow a specific 4* character if you can field enough decent 3* boosted characters. Depends on how soon you start seeing the -Busters as pervasive opponents, and whether you are willing to use shields to get there. Slice choice is a factor, as is starting time. You can't really Broly your way to 1k, but I have done a no-shield 1k by clearing seeds at around 18-30 hours out to get to 200, climbing to 600-800 when I have some free time for a match here and there, then pushing to 1k somewhere around 3-5 hours out.

I can hit 1300 if I want to, but I find the penalty for missing a shield hop timing to be too severe. There's also the significantly higher HP cost in getting a shot at a random outcome. That being said, I did 1300 in the Red Hulk event (since I was waiting for a fresh PvE slice and needed something to play) and pulled an Old Man Logan cover for my troubles, so sometimes the RNG is a benevolent god.

In any case, to answer my own question, I'm on the fence with X23. The 4* space is full of nukes on her colors, but a more reliable true healing and decent strike tiles would be nice for hard PvE nodes with an attack tile character who doesn't use purple or green.

Like... um... nobody? Huh. Everyone who makes an attack tile has at least a green or purple active power. Even the 'random special tile' characters like Beast have at least one. (There are actually good fits if you get a rainbow from a third character - Mohawk Storm's black would work really well, even though I rarely use her.)

I can see how the Legendary tokens are definitely more attainable in PvE I just still do not play as much throughout the day now that I moved and no longer am stuck on a train for at least 2 hours a day! I pretty much just play for maybe 45 minutes to an hour off and on each day and that is usually just enough to get the DPD done and maybe a few other matches. My thing is that even if I get one Legendary Token from progression PvE rewards that is basically one every 5 to 7 days and pair that with the fact that there are so many 4*s now the time it would take me to get another usable 4* going just this route would take me at the very least a couple months.

I will keep chugging away from the progression rewards in PvE but I have tried quite a few times now in PvP and can NEVER reach the 1k rewards. Well never as in recently, I was able to back in the day when it was first released but not for many months have I been able to hit that high. Even with careful playing and spending a ton on boosts and even shields I always got locked out at just around 900 max. 

I suppose I am not a good gauge of the effectiveness of new 4*s since to me they all seem pretty awesome but that is largely because I do not have any to compare to. Yeah there are a few that seem like duds to me like Carnage but everyone else seems relatively solid. 

Yeah, I can see how you're kind of in rock/hard place mode.

One thing to note, though, is that PvE is now only 3, 4, and 7 days. The new one starting today is 4 days, which I think is followed by a 3 day Heroic. You'll never catch up to max out new releases, but the random nature means you should get at least some of the mainstays to fighting weight eventually through the tokens.

Or maybe you get super lucky and get 13 Silver Surfer covers in a row. :D

Yeah there are a few that seem like duds to me like Carnage but everyone else seems relatively solid.
Carnage is actually not that bad. He is kind of like Sentry before the nerf - you wouldn't use him for sustained play, but he will tear up your opponents if you don't mind the health packs. Makes a good defense character, in that he slows down anyone from using cheap powers unless they want to take damage.

My seemingly limitless supply of Health Packs from the Taco Tokens seem to hint that even a single SS is out of my RNG grasp : P
I didn't think so originally, but I now consider Health Packs the best reward I can reasonably acquire. I hoard tacos until I'm in a push where I run out of health packs, then redeem until I get the five pack. Saves me HP, and doesn't create any unreasonable expectations on my part. :)

If I get something else cool like a 4* cover I can use, I just consider that gravy.

I just hopped into the event ending in a couple hours and lo and behold there is Koju sitting at rank one in my group! : P

I have not looked at your roster in a while and I just did.... DAYUMMMMMMM hahah

I wasn't able to see an option to use the CP for any specific covers so I wonder if that option is just for 5*s and I misread thinking it was for 4*s as well? Since I saw no option I just used my 25 on a token and I got a Yellow Mr Fantastic. Not really excited at all with that pull but I suppose it could have been worse so no complaints on my end. Just really wish I could score some Hulkbuster or Prof X. Some Jean Grey or 4hor or even Nick Fury would be welcomed too even.

I wasn't able to see an option to use the CP for any specific covers so I wonder if that option is just for 5*s and I misread thinking it was for 4*s as well? Since I saw no option I just used my 25 on a token and I got a Yellow Mr Fantastic. Not really excited at all with that pull but I suppose it could have been worse so no complaints on my end. Just really wish I could score some Hulkbuster or Prof X. Some Jean Grey or 4hor or even Nick Fury would be welcomed too even.
Right now CP can only be used for Legendary Tokens or to upgrade 5* covers. Supposedly 4* covers will come eventually, but not yet.

Bah, I love how the Growing Pains is giving up basically a free Purple Ant-Man... I mean I can still use it but my Ant-Man is currently 4/0/0 and this will now make him 5/0/0. I still appreciate the cover but having only one move even available really limits his use. I suppose I am in good shape for if I ever get his other covers but still a bit lame for me hah

bread's done
Back