Marvel Puzzle Quest Discussion Thread

Luke Cage opinion time as mine is sitting currently at 5/4/4 and I really like it but checking the forums they seem to say you need to go all out one way or the other with either 5/3/5 or 5/5/3. I feel at 4 with each his defense tile is still pretty strong and then his jab will still add the stun.

I am still thinking of keeping him 5/4/4 but figured I would throw the question out to you guys to see if I should take advantage of the extra covers I have.

Luke Cage opinion time as mine is sitting currently at 5/4/4 and I really like it but checking the forums they seem to say you need to go all out one way or the other with either 5/3/5 or 5/5/3. I feel at 4 with each his defense tile is still pretty strong and then his jab will still add the stun.

I am still thinking of keeping him 5/4/4 but figured I would throw the question out to you guys to see if I should take advantage of the extra covers I have.
Mine is @ 5/3/5 and the shield not that noticeable from 3 to 4. Either way - it does -1. I prefer the added dmg with 5 in black. normally - I would get to 12 blk to pop IF's punch then pop the 1k hit to soften someone down and hit the 1-2-3 on someone to KO them.

I have mine at 3/5/5, mostly for PvE. Red at 5 stops most match damage, and also works well against the ninjas. Black with the stun is great for 1 enemy plus two goons. I generally pair him with Iron Fist, so IF's purple feeds Cage's black. I have yellow at three, because I generally don't prioritize it with that pair.

If your primary team has no outlet for black, but generates it (like the very common Luke Cage/Iron Fist combo), going 5 on black makes a lot of sense. The defense tile will be good enough most of the time, and having two big damage powers and a stun is valuable.

If you already have a primary black outlet (3* Cyclops, Black Panther, Hulkbuster, etc.), having a 5 in red will really help against boosted enemies in PvE, especially ninjas and minor strike tile creators like Daken. You lose the stun, but you reduce health pack usage during grinds.

With 5/4/4, you end up in the middle - you could be stopping more damage or doing more damage, but there aren't very many regular opponents that warrant "just a little more defense" and "do less damage".

Here's the breakdown:

• Unbreakable - PASSIVE
    redtile.png

With his bulletproof, steel-hard skin, Luke Cage is a walking tank. At the beginning of every turn, if there are no friendly Protect tiles on the board, Luke creates a strength 33
    redtile.png
    Protect tile.
    Level 2: Creates a Strength 38
    redtile.png
    Protect tile.
    Level 3: Creates a Strength 45
    redtile.png
    Protect tile.
    Level 4: Creates a Strength 58
    redtile.png
    Protect tile.
    Level 5: Creates a Strength 85
    redtile.png
    Protect tile.
    Max Level: 3 - 141 Protect tile, 4 - 182 Protect tile, 5 - 268 Protect tile

• Jab, Jab, Cross - 6
    blacktile.png

Luke sets up for a classic one-two punch to knock his opponents cold. Luke deals 164 damage and places a 4-turn Countdown tile. While active, Jab, Jab, Cross deals 597 damage instead.
    Level 2: Luke deals 190 damage or 710 damage if his Countdown tile exists.
    Level 3: Luke deals 246 damage or 818 damage if his Countdown tile exists.
    Level 4: If his Countdown tile exists, Luke also stuns the target for 1 turn.
    Level 5: Luke deals 328 damage or 1367 damage if his Countdown tile exists.
    Max Level: 3 - 783/2596 damage, 4 - 783/2596 damage + 1 turn stun, 5 - 1044/4340 damage +1 turn stun

At level 4 in red, you only gain 41 points of damage control at the expense of 261/1744 in black damage. On the flip side, you gain a one turn stun at the expense of 86 points of damage control.

I currently have a 5/5/3 Cage, but I don't really use him as much as I used to. I'm debating moving to a 5/3/5 build for when he's in Heroics and I need to slow down Ares or Juggernaut.

Having yellow at 5 means having a 10k nuke when he's boosted, so I don't see myself dropping below 5.

(gravel made some of my points, but I'm too lazy to change what I wrote.)

Totally-Awesome-Hulk-Cover-02-5a671.jpg

Seemed lame at first but the story is actually fairly decent. I of course would rather be getting 4* covers for character that are almost usable.... but oh well that isn't happening any time soon!

Seemed lame at first but the story is actually fairly decent. I of course would rather be getting 4* covers for character that are almost usable.... but oh well that isn't happening any time soon!
I liked the event, and it's a good way to introduce a new character, but from what I've seen, he isn't good. Also underwhelmed with Ghost Rider, but he could be serviceable with enough covers.

I am sitting with a 4/2/4 Jean Grey right now and am trying to level her up slowly as much as I can; she is at 185 at the moment.

What do you guys think are my best characters to pair her with? Keep in mind I do not have any other 4*s at a useful level other than 4hor at 225. The next group of 4*s aren't until 145 and those are just X-Force, IW an Elektra.. haha gross. 

Other than that though I have nearly every single 3* completed in terms of covers and most are at usable levels and none below 120. 

I am sitting with a 4/2/4 Jean Grey right now and am trying to level her up slowly as much as I can; she is at 185 at the moment.

What do you guys think are my best characters to pair her with? Keep in mind I do not have any other 4*s at a useful level other than 4hor at 225. The next group of 4*s aren't until 145 and those are just X-Force, IW an Elektra.. haha gross.

Other than that though I have nearly every single 3* completed in terms of covers and most are at usable levels and none below 120.
Awesome Broly, mine is at 5/1/4 after the green reward in the recent PvP. I haven't used Jean much, but with her purple at 4, you could pair her with Scarlet Witch to feed her purple. Then you'd probably want a damage dealing red/yellow to go with them, maybe Cyclops? Of course, all of this depends on what you are playing, since PvP generally has required/boosted characters. Also, Koju or someone might have better ideas.

Awesome Broly, mine is at 5/1/4 after the green reward in the recent PvP. I haven't used Jean much, but with her purple at 4, you could pair her with Scarlet Witch to feed her purple. Then you'd probably want a damage dealing red/yellow to go with them, maybe Cyclops? Of course, all of this depends on what you are playing, since PvP generally has required/boosted characters. Also, Koju or someone might have better ideas.
I actually just ran that team while messing around with setups and I really liked it thanks! : ) My Cyclops is maxed at 166 and SW will be stuck at 160 now that Jean needs ISO too : P haha

Gravel hit the best option - Scarlet Witch is Jean's best buddy in 3* land, especially in PvE. (Add in Hood or 4* Falcon for countdown acceleration.)

Anyone who accelerates green but doesn't have a cheap/amazing green power of their own would also work well, like Ragnarok. GSBW and KK give you flexibility, but the purple conflict is significant. Thor gives you better flexibility, especially if you spec him 5/5/3.

Jean can also work just fine with most of the support 3*s like Hood, Loki and Falcon, but you probably want to add a meat shield, especially if they can cover the colors for those characters.

Using Jean as a third while Hulk Bombing isn't too bad - you get green generation, meat shield and her purple takes care of Patch's drawback.

Beyond that, look to your yellow/red/black rainbows like BP, Luke Cage, Cyclops, etc.

And finally, Jean's blue is just a Prof X deterrent. The AI is ignorant to anything except straight-line match 5s, so the only reason you should have more than 3 in blue is because the covers fell that way.

Awesome insight on all of that Koju as always, thanks! : )

And yeah I ideally will have her at 5/3/5 and I actually have enough HP to buy another cover right now but I know the second I buy one more and max out what I want for a specific color that is what I will get from the next Legendary Token or something; that is always just my luck!

Happy Champion Day everyone! (should go live sometime tonight)
The anticipation is killing me!

Edit: And my gf might actually kills me after this goes live and I mess with MPQ for several hours championing my roster and sorting through the hundreds of covers in my queue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure wish this was live when I have gotten at least 20 extra 3* Thor covers...

I have no extra covers for my characters that are maxed since I always sold them. Really cool idea but getting that many extra covers for characters seems pretty damn tough. Pair that with me not having like any ISO since I have been trying to max out my Jean Grey. Cool addition but lame for me.

I promoted 3* Cyclops for now since he is one of my current favorite 3*s and I wouldn't mind scoring some covers for his 4* counterpart along the way. Too bad my Magneto is only sitting at 120 or something; I would really like those Prof X covers.

Also a bit odd that we cannot buy 'extra' covers for them. I would be all over that if I could with HP.

I sure wish this was live when I have gotten at least 20 extra 3* Thor covers...

I have no extra covers for my characters that are maxed since I always sold them. Really cool idea but getting that many extra covers for characters seems pretty damn tough. Pair that with me not having like any ISO since I have been trying to max out my Jean Grey. Cool addition but lame for me.

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what you said here, BrolyB, but I am pretty glad it makes leveling up my maxed-out 3* characters feasible. Joined a PvE alliance, by the way, & the rewards pile up quite a bit faster since everyone has to get at least 15,000 points each tournament.

Yeah seeing as I have every single 3* other than Gamora at fully leveled covers it will force my hand to get more of them to actually 166 hah

Woah woah woah.

I don't watch their videos and all about the updates and I just found out that starting the 13th we can no longer use HP to buy cover upgrades? WTF.

That is total horseshit. I spent $100 HP on this last sale to keep as a stockpile and so I have been sitting on a little over 16k so that once I got a 3rd color for Prof X, Hulkbuster or 4* Cyclops I would buy a bunch of their covers to get them near maxed. I am super freaking pissed because as it stands I still do not have all three covers available for ANY of those characters and I sure as shit am not going to sit on that much HP past their swap of currencies. 

If it will be costing us 120 CP to buy a 4* cover that will take FOREVERRR. And if they are doing that they should give us the option to turn our HP to CP then. It costs 2500 HP to get a 4* cover now and so I should be able to turn 15,000 HP into 720 CP.

This Champion thing took me by surprise since I don't keep up with the news on this as much and I was pleasantly surprised and thought. 'hey maybe I will start playing MPQ more again' but with this change to the currency I am really getting rubbed the wrong way.

Star Wars Galactic Heroes has pulled me in and if they keep pumping MPQ down the toilet I may fully switch over. : /

Well, can you add six more levels to Kamala and get the 1700 progression in Shield Sim? That would get you another Legendary Token, and maybe luck will favor the annoyed?

But yeah, I'm not real sure what the point of this change is, except maybe they want to encourage buyer clubs.

Well, can you add six more levels to Kamala and get the 1700 progression in Shield Sim? That would get you another Legendary Token, and maybe luck will favor the annoyed?

But yeah, I'm not real sure what the point of this change is, except maybe they want to encourage buyer clubs.
I actually got super freaking excited last night as I opened up a Legendary and it had Cyclops! But another Red... : /

I really want the Blue for Hulkbuster or Cyclops and the chances of that happening in the next couple days are so very slim. As it draws to the time I will just have to boost up the Thing seeing as he is the best character that I have at least all the covers for so that I can buy the rest : /

Woah woah woah.

I don't watch their videos and all about the updates and I just found out that starting the 13th we can no longer use HP to buy cover upgrades? WTF.

That is total horseshit. I spent $100 HP on this last sale to keep as a stockpile and so I have been sitting on a little over 16k so that once I got a 3rd color for Prof X, Hulkbuster or 4* Cyclops I would buy a bunch of their covers to get them near maxed. I am super freaking pissed because as it stands I still do not have all three covers available for ANY of those characters and I sure as shit am not going to sit on that much HP past their swap of currencies.

If it will be costing us 120 CP to buy a 4* cover that will take FOREVERRR. And if they are doing that they should give us the option to turn our HP to CP then. It costs 2500 HP to get a 4* cover now and so I should be able to turn 15,000 HP into 720 CP.

This Champion thing took me by surprise since I don't keep up with the news on this as much and I was pleasantly surprised and thought. 'hey maybe I will start playing MPQ more again' but with this change to the currency I am really getting rubbed the wrong way.

Star Wars Galactic Heroes has pulled me in and if they keep pumping MPQ down the toilet I may fully switch over. : /
anyone know of any games like this on Steam...getting bored of this game

ALSO can someone post the

ISO and HP you get for a 3 star champ

i know a 2 star is like 17,500 ISO if you max them

The most similar game I've seen was Ghostbisters Puzzle Fighter, though I only played it for a few days.  Also - looks like that's only mobile, not on PC yet.

For free steam games:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/nine-best-free-play-games-steam

Total Champion Rewards

2*:  17,500 iso, 250 hp, 5 cp

3*:  57,500 iso, 1000 hp, 50 cp

4*:  112,500 iso, 4000 hp, 250 cp

All the details on Champion prizes can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cDCzOzQPZ0juvWhiID8POYsQMQR27sTPyLhupCYcInY/edit#gid=0

The most similar game I've seen was Ghostbisters Puzzle Fighter, though I only played it for a few days. Also - looks like that's only mobile, not on PC yet.

For free steam games:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/nine-best-free-play-games-steam

Total Champion Rewards

2*: 17,500 iso, 250 hp, 5 cp

3*: 57,500 iso, 1000 hp, 50 cp

4*: 112,500 iso, 4000 hp, 250 cp

All the details on Champion prizes can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cDCzOzQPZ0juvWhiID8POYsQMQR27sTPyLhupCYcInY/edit#gid=0
thanks for that info.. at least it know tells me how much i could make back...

I love that I finally start feeling like I may have a fairly usable 4* roster soon and they just keep pummeling the 5*s now even more.

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/25622/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_black_suit_spider-man

I thought at first with Silver Surfer it would just be a tiny thing right now to have 5 stars and they would slowly add a few 5*s in between a bunch of 4* but it seems like they are trying to transition the top players to entire 5* teams and already 4*s are the new 3*s. Hell some random kid I have on FB that added me to have more allies already has a maxed Old Man Logan. WTF.

Ugh.

I love that I finally start feeling like I may have a fairly usable 4* roster soon and they just keep pummeling the 5*s now even more.

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/25622/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_black_suit_spider-man

I thought at first with Silver Surfer it would just be a tiny thing right now to have 5 stars and they would slowly add a few 5*s in between a bunch of 4* but it seems like they are trying to transition the top players to entire 5* teams and already 4*s are the new 3*s. Hell some random kid I have on FB that added me to have more allies already has a maxed Old Man Logan. WTF.

Ugh.
i say unless something major changes the game will be gone within a year.. With whales no longer being able to buy the new 4 star max they are going to lose out on tons of cash. UNLESS they put CP for sale

i say unless something major changes the game will be gone within a year.. With whales no longer being able to buy the new 4 star max they are going to lose out on tons of cash. UNLESS they put CP for sale
The sad thing is with how much whales really do spend I can see people dropping $100s at a time just for the 7CP each go.

The sad thing is with how much whales really do spend I can see people dropping $100s at a time just for the 7CP each go.
if there was a very good 4 star that i wanted i did not see a problem with dropping 100 on it. BUT now i doubt i ever put another penny into this game.. only reason to spend cash is

Shields what i never use since i jump into a PVP within the last 90 mins or less

Tokens What i will never buy cause i have all of the 3 stars fully covered (not 166 max)

Slots what i will never need unless they start pushing out more then 2 newbies a month (very easy to make 2000 a month free)

Even if i stopped playing today and they had 2 new people per month i would have enough slots till Sept 2016 (yeap i have 16 slots open)

now if they increased the ISO on they buying side 10x maybe i would buy ISO but like i said no reason to buy anything...

i really feel sorry for the people in 2 star land before the 3 star events would be dead mans land where you could just play and get covers easy BUT now people who have max out 166 need those 3 star covers to get the champ rewards so almost every PVE is going to be like new events for a least the next few months.

well this  REALLY SUCKS  steam or something crashed and its taking me back to day 1

reboot  seemed to fix it for now

For anyone not paying attention to other sites, Nova is coming in an event starting Thursday:

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/25671/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_nova
Another character I will not be able to get!

I am torn right now between leveling up my 4* Cyclops and Hulkbuster or continuing to save up ISO to level up and Champion my 3*s. Those two characters are at pretty much usable cover levels and so they just need ISO but then again I would also like to have my 3*s all championed so that I am not forced to sell all their extra covers.

Bah.

I championed half of the 3*s - pretty much any that I had leveled over 140.

I look at it this way:

Why didn't I level this character to 166 before?

If I level it to 166 to Champion, will I use this character more often when it isn't required?

Can the ISO be used for something better (both the cover sale and the level costs)?

I sold eight covers for Rocket & Groot in my queue because of this flow chart. Not that I think they are a bad character, but rather, I have better uses for the ISO in getting my 4*s leveled. Once I finish off another two or three 4*s I enjoy using, I'll circle back to 3* and 2* championing.

All that being said - How is your 4* transition going these days? Outside of the lucky token pull, are you getting either the progression or placement 4* or Legendary Tokens from events?

If you are not seeing a regular flow of 4* covers (at least one or two a week), then I change my advice: you will get more value from developing your 3* roster and earning the LT from each champion. That will get your 4* covers flowing, and give you a bigger stable of characters that can earn you more.

EDIT: Forgot to point out that 3* champions give 4* covers as they level up. So if you are looking to develop a certain 4*, championing their 3* partners will give you specific covers to help that process. So, if you are looking for Hulkbuster covers, championing IM40 and Iron Fist will help you. Cyclops? Champion 3* Cyclops and Vision. Etc.

On Koju's last point, you can find the chart of which covers you get from championing each char from:

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37687

Since I still don't have a single 4* fully covered, I've been focusing on championing lower chars - so far I've champed 18 3*s and all but 2 2*s.

Now that low-hanging 3* prospects are mostly covered, I've been finally at least getting ISO into the low-leveled 4*s like Jean & Cyke to start getting them usable.

I actually did the same thing Koju, I somehow kept getting Grocket covers and I held them for like a week before finally deciding against championing them since they are only 130. And that is a good gauge of how to decide if they are worth Championing; I have been going through a similar mindset.

My main 4*s right now that have a decent number of covers and can be leveled are (not counting the lame ones like X-Force, Elektra, IW... etc)

Jean Grey - 5/2/5 lvl 225

Thor - 5/4/3 lvl 225

Cyclops - 4/2/4 lvl 131

Hulkbuster - 4/4/0 lvl 131

The Thing - 2/3/4 lvl 90

So right there it seems like I really should focus on my 4*s since I have some solid characters just at low levels, I just hate the idea of throwing away the extra covers though. I currently have 11 characters Championed with Deadpool and Scarlet Witch sitting at 166 unchampioned simply because I have not gotten any extra covers for them since the update. I have 8 more 3*s sitting at 151-130 and then the rest are all 120. Those 8 are the ones that are tempting me but I still think right now I would be better off just focusing my ISO on the 4*s since I am usually pretty broke on that currency anyway.

Unfortunately I do not get that many Legendary Tokens though since I primarily just play for a bit each day now. Mainly do the DPD and then the last hour or so of most PvP and some PvE events. I have been able to get more of the the DPD Legendary Tokens when available but not always.

Poop.

I got super stoked about the Galactus event and how the rewards are Hulkbusters... if I got them all I would have mine at 5/5/1 which would be beyond awesome. The reality however stuck back in that I am the head of our b-team alliance now where we rarely score enough for anything super worth-while. Do not get me wrong I do not play all hardcore like I used to, just really shows the difference though when these kinds of events roll around.

Poop.

I got super stoked about the Galactus event and how the rewards are Hulkbusters... if I got them all I would have mine at 5/5/1 which would be beyond awesome. The reality however stuck back in that I am the head of our b-team alliance now where we rarely score enough for anything super worth-while. Do not get me wrong I do not play all hardcore like I used to, just really shows the difference though when these kinds of events roll around.
I'm just happy the red is the lowest tier. Actually, the rewards are in exactly the order I'd like them. I'm at 1/5/3 right now, so if we can get the first two, I'll be at 2/5/4. Then I can be two covers and a ton of Iso from maxing, championing, and re-specing him to put 5 in red.

I'm just happy the red is the lowest tier. Actually, the rewards are in exactly the order I'd like them. I'm at 1/5/3 right now, so if we can get the first two, I'll be at 2/5/4. Then I can be two covers and a ton of Iso from maxing, championing, and re-specing him to put 5 in red.
I just really want the Blue since I don't even have a single cover of that.

Looks like we got the Red Hulkbuster on CAGvengers. Was getting tough towards the end but now that we hit this reward I just finally stopped playing since there was no way we were going to hit enough for the Blue and I already got the max progression reward.

How is our Varsity CAG team holding up with this Galactus event? You guys go for broke and get them all?

Looks like we got the Red Hulkbuster on CAGvengers. Was getting tough towards the end but now that we hit this reward I just finally stopped playing since there was no way we were going to hit enough for the Blue and I already got the max progression reward.

How is our Varsity CAG team holding up with this Galactus event? You guys go for broke and get them all?
Yeah, we finished up about a day ago. Luckily, I don't think anyone got hit with the crazy goon scaling bug before they fixed it.

All least you got one cover, is that better than the prior alliance events?

Also, for anyone who hasn't heard, the 20 ISO rewards are gone!

All least you got one cover, is that better than the prior alliance events?

Also, for anyone who hasn't heard, the 20 ISO rewards are gone!
Yeah I am happy to finally get rid of the 20 ISO reward!

And yeah I am happy we got at least the Red Cover, it is just I have been trying to get a blue cover for him for what seems like FOREVER so I was just really hoping we could have snatched that one.

If I didn't have like 3 billion Storm covers in my queue and 4 purple Iceman covers, I would Champion IM40 next in a heartbeat.

The ISO struggle is real.

The ISO struggle is real.
I have Daredevil at 151 and then Colossus, Daken and Luke Cage all at 140. Those are the only ones I feel like I can even consider championing for the time being but really at this point with 15 championed 3*s I think I would be better suited to focusing my ISO on the 4*s that I have a solid amount of covers for. All the rest of my 3*s are between 130 - 120 and really with heavy hitters like Jean, Cyclops, Hulkbuster and even the Thing now all at near max covers I would much rather start beefing them.

That being said I FINALLY got my final 3* cover needed to max out every single one. I now officially have every possible 3* fully covered!! Not that it really does all that much now but still, an accomplishment nonetheless haha. Those last few took FOREVER to freaking get.

hey going to be hanging out at this   PVP team   at least till monday or until i cant make the  600  min ...once there is a new 4 star might try to hit the old team back up.  hopefully there be slots open

hey going to be hanging out at this PVP team at least till monday or until i cant make the 600 min ...once there is a new 4 star might try to hit the old team back up. hopefully there be slots open
Speaking of PvP, I joined with 23 minutes left in the She-Hulk one where apparently the scene was pretty much dead. Was able to snag 1st with like 350 points ; P Glad I forgot it ended it last night haha since it worked out well for me. Haven't been able to snag a first so easily by joining that way in a long while.

Now I am overly tempted however with three Colossus covers to get him Championed from his current level 140! Sorry Hulkbuster, looks like someone else will be getting your ISO for the time being! haha

Speaking of PvP, I joined with 23 minutes left in the She-Hulk one where apparently the scene was pretty much dead. Was able to snag 1st with like 350 points ; P Glad I forgot it ended it last night haha since it worked out well for me. Haven't been able to snag a first so easily by joining that way in a long while.

Now I am overly tempted however with three Colossus covers to get him Championed from his current level 140! Sorry Hulkbuster, looks like someone else will be getting your ISO for the time being! haha
able to stag first with 762 in mine was never attacked once wasted 75 for a shield

could AT least send people  a message before they kick them out of a league.   Like to know why i was booted     i guess i go looking for another team if i dont get an answer.

bread's done
Back