Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS3) - Retail Pack $15

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
the PS3 version will also come in a retail package that contains:

• Redemption Code for full game
  • DVD case with sleeve
  • Data DVD with exclusive artwork (wallpapers, icons, character and content art), 4 trailers and screenshots
  • 8 page color manual with artwork and moves list
  • 1 month free subscription to Marvel Digital Comics ($9.99 value)
  • 2000 Capcom-Unity points - can be used for prizing and auctions

This is actually $5.00 more than the DD but this could be a deal for collector's and fans of the game.

EB/GS Preorder Link

UPDATE: Link is DEAD. Not sure why...could it be that they sold out?
UPDATE: 8-10-09

- package is confirmed: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/10/marvel-vs-capcom-2-retail-package-confirmed/
(looks like it won't contain the media disc unfortunately)

- preorder from EB/GS: here

mvc2-retail-conf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaoPi']So let me get this straight you only get the code to download the game once? vs buying it on PSN you are able to spread it across (download again 5 times) in case anything happens to your PS3[/QUOTE]

Rarely is there a code that only allows you to download the game once on PSN. I know Warhawk is an exception as it doesn't allow you to gameshare. You can share the expansions, but not the core game, I believe. Aside from that, Home costumes can't be shared. Other than that, I've shared everything with 3 of my best friends, and I bet this will be no different. 400 songs on RB2 while only paying for about 100 FTW!

As of right now PSN is the only reason I'm not totally against digital downloads. Getting 4 times the games I would normally be privy to, since my friends and I have a buying rotation.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Even if PSN sticks around do you really think they will be supporting PS3 era downloads in 20 to 25 years or even 10 to 15? I can still play my NES games from the mid-80s any time I want. If I buy a game I should have access to it indefinitely. I will likely stop buying new games and other media completely if downloads are my only option.[/QUOTE]

Hey ... what he said. My VC's don't count because I have the original game. It's just easier for my 4 year old daughter to play them on the Wii then loose have her lung get the NES to play her favorite games ...

[quote name='eastx']INever mind that if not for downloadable software, there'd be no Marvel VS. Capcom 2 for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3... Ack, I just made a point. Now somebody will try to refute it...[/QUOTE]

no, i see your point, but the same could be said for any digital download exclusive or rereleased title. it doesn't necesarily prove anything one way or another.

personally, i think downloads are fine, as long as we always have the choice. if/when downloads become the only way to play current games, i don't think people will be as excited.

Well, I won't take a side in the digital vs retail debate.

However, I do know that this "retail box" has stuff more than cool enough to be worth the extra $5.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

[quote name='rogueweapon']waste, don't buy it. this is just a move to appease the box retailers. I say screw Gamestop, digital download is the way of the future. All those ex-Gamestop cornholes will have to work at other retail jobs where they will be cornholes those customers too.[/QUOTE]

Screw Gamestop? At least Gamestop doesn't control what I do with the game I purchased and OWN. You want a downloadable future? You do realize that means no more game sales and clearances at retailers. You'll be at the mercy of a download site and pay whatever they say you'll pay, and when you do buy, you'll own NOTHING. No actual game to load/borrow with a friend. No game to trade in or sell when you've grown tired of it. NOTHING.
Yeah, soon we'll all be sticking it to Gamestop and boxed retailers, while Sony, Microsoft, Valve, and Nintendo are sticking it up our asses, and we'll be paying more than we ever have to enjoy this hobby.
Wake up!

[quote name='ultramanJ']Screw Gamestop? At least Gamestop doesn't control what I do with the game I purchased and OWN. You want a downloadable future? You do realize that means no more game sales and clearances at retailers. You'll be at the mercy of a download site and pay whatever they say you'll pay, and when you do buy, you'll own NOTHING. No actual game to load/borrow with a friend. No game to trade in or sell when you've grown tired of it. NOTHING.
Yeah, soon we'll all be sticking it to Gamestop and boxed retailers, while Sony, Microsoft, Valve, and Nintendo are sticking it up our asses, and we'll be paying more than we ever have to enjoy this hobby.
Wake up![/QUOTE]

- There are weekly deals on XBLA games. Valve has tons of deals. Plus MS and Sony already gave out some older games for free. Dont see any retail store doing that.

-You can game share on PSN.

-some of us never trade or resell our games anyway.

-It might be 5 years, 10 years, but this is the future of gaming.

[quote name='62t']- There are weekly deals on XBLA games. Valve has tons of deals. Plus MS and Sony already gave out some older games for free. Dont see any retail store doing that.

-It might be 5 years, 10 years, but this is the future of gaming.[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree. There are so many of us that are more materialistic than anything. I HATE downloadable games.

[quote name='hobbie8046']Completely disagree. There are so many of us that are more materialistic than anything. I HATE downloadable games.[/QUOTE]

Well eventually you will have to make a chance of downloading a game or not getting a game at all. Or just be happy with a box, manual, and a code.

[quote name='62t']- There are weekly deals on XBLA games. Valve has tons of deals. Plus MS and Sony already gave out some older games for free. Dont see any retail store doing that.

-It might be 5 years, 10 years, but this is the future of gaming.[/QUOTE]

A perfect example is Ratchet and Clank Future. $15 for a full game (formerly $60) for more than two weeks at Target. Or $5 off a $15 for only one week on a really short game, Quest for Booty. Game share with who? and even then its risky.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']A perfect example is Ratchet and Clank Future. $15 for a full game (formerly $60) for more than two weeks at Target. Or $5 off a $15 for only one week on a really short game, Quest for Booty. Game share with who? and even then its risky.[/QUOTE]

You are talking a B&M deal that not everyone could get it, or a online that everyone could get.

I will give you another example. Sony putting Rag Doll Kung Fu online for free. Don't think you will get a free game unless it is some kind of mistake. Without digital download we would never see games like Noby Noby Boy either.

im just going to request this on goozex, depending on the points, just like lost and damned, just MvC2, not the whole other garbage which is just basically pre-order freebies being sold since there is no physical disc with the game.

This "download ticket in box" junk is a total scam.

Someone should sue them for being misleading and preventing resale. I am going to go apeshit the first time I accidentally buy an offline game that doesn't have offline installation, on disc.

And to put a real disc in the box, not containing the game. They have some nerve.

[quote name='62t']You are talking a B&M deal that not everyone could get it, or a online that everyone could get.

I will give you another example. Sony putting Rag Doll Kung Fu online for free. Don't think you will get a free game unless it is some kind of mistake. Without digital download we would never see games like Noby Noby Boy either.[/QUOTE]

Sony has never given a free game out priced above $9.99 as far as I know. And really Sony hasn't given out any free games at all, every one they've given out so far require you to either buy an issue of Qore or be a Qore subscriber. And the Rag Doll Kung Fu thing was sponsered by Sprint. If you're expecting full retail games for free in this DD future of yours you are going to be sadly disappointed. And as far as I know Sony hasn't even had any sales on the more expensive games like Tekken 5 DR or Fatal Inertia EX unless the game also has a physical version that is having a price drop.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']A perfect example is Ratchet and Clank Future. $15 for a full game (formerly $60) for more than two weeks at Target. Or $5 off a $15 for only one week on a really short game, Quest for Booty. Game share with who? and even then its risky.[/QUOTE]

You're 100% right. I don't know how people compare 25% or 50% off a cheap game with 75% off of a $60 game. It's not the same thing. If anyone honestly thinks that, when digital distribution becomes the norm, we are ever gonna see deals like we do now, they are nuts.

And Sony did not put out Rag Doll Kung Fu for free. Sprint paid for that promotion. Their name and logo was plastered everywhere.

[quote name='62t']You are talking a B&M deal that not everyone could get it, or a online that everyone could get.

I will give you another example. Sony putting Rag Doll Kung Fu online for free. Don't think you will get a free game unless it is some kind of mistake. Without digital download we would never see games like Noby Noby Boy either.[/QUOTE]

Sony didn't put Rag Doll on for free, it was paid for by Sprint or some other company. But yeah, over the course of this current generation I've gotten a few free downloads. Then again I've gotten more free games this very same gen through Buy 2 get 1 free deals at retail stores.

How I see it...

Digital Download
+ Old rare games can be made available online for download. Even hard to get imports can be put on the service much like Sin and Punishment on VC

+ No getting off the couch. Well, that's more of a plus for the lazy gamers out there with the Cheetos crumbs on their third chin.

Physical Media
+You OWN what you purchase. This is the biggest thing for me. I don't want some billion dollar corporation dictating what I can do with my hard earned purchase.

+ Prices consistently fall. Games go on sale, they go on clearance, and the publisher drops the prices. Sure beats the hell out waiting to see what one thing Microsoft deems "deal of the week" on XBLA, which at the most is a discount of $5, and usually winds up being something lame like a mission/costume pack that noone was buying.

+ Loan/Borrow games with friends/coworkers

+Trade it in/sell it when I'm through to put towards new purchases. I'd love to ditch some of the games I downloaded on my 360, PS3, and Wii, but alas I can't get anything for them.

I'm sorry, but buying the right to download some code to your console doesn't come close to owning a physical copy of a game.

[quote name='ultramanJ']
Digital Download
+ Old rare games can be made available online for download. Even hard to get imports can be put on the service much like Sin and Punishment on VC
[/QUOTE]

Even this is not a "+". More like:

Digital Download
- Whereas discs can be region free, hard to get imports are never offered in your country for download, so you need to buy the foreign console to download them.

And Amen to your post. The whole point of consoles was to avoid spending a stack of quarters and not actually end up "owning" a game. This was my sentiment in 1987 when I stopped going to arcades.

Downloads are only playable as long as the machine survives and the company says so. It's like chucking quarters down a slot to me. I'm fundamentally opposed* to paying retail price to "lease" or "license" games.

*until the licensing of all data is registered in one place and has a government-backed guarantee.

[quote name='Gamelore']Even this is not a "+". More like:

Digital Download
- Whereas discs can be region free, hard to get imports are never offered in your country for download, so you need to buy the foreign console to download them.

And Amen to your post. The whole point of consoles was to avoid spending a stack of quarters and not actually end up "owning" a game. This was my sentiment in 1987 when I stopped going to arcades.

Downloads are only playable as long as the machine survives and the company says so. It's like chucking quarters down a slot to me. I'm fundamentally opposed to paying retail price to "lease" or "license" games.[/QUOTE]

Regarding the first point: I don't know how the Wii works, but the PS3 and 360 allow you to create foriegn accounts. I know for a fact on the PS3 you can also purchase foriegn games for download, and I'd assume the 360 would allow that as well.

As far as downloads being playable only as long as the system survives, I'm not sure I follow. If you download it, can't you play it for as long as the hard-drive it is on survives? And if that's the case, on the PS3, you could simply back up your entire drive to make extra-sure.

I understand your complaint and it is entirely correct to a point, but I don't think it is entirely as bleak as it is being painted here.

[quote name='Gamelore']
Digital Download
[/QUOTE]

Firstly, the only console that's actually region free is the Playstation 3. Secondly, some very cool imports like Sin & Punishment and Star Parodier are available via the Virtual Console on the Wii. And I still hate you for continuing this argument.

[quote name='Gamelore']This "download ticket in box" junk is a total scam.

Someone should sue them for being misleading and preventing resale. I am going to go apeshit the first time I accidentally buy an offline game that doesn't have offline installation, on disc.

And to put a real disc in the box, not containing the game. They have some nerve.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but until you know what it says on the box, how can you be so angry? For example, "The Lost and the Damned" clearly says on the box that there is no disc. Yeah, it doesn't come in a DVD case. But it's the same thing. Physical product with a download code. And like I said, it clearly states there is no disc. There cannot be false advertising when you have a big warning right on the box.

[quote name='Gamelore']This "download ticket in box" junk is a total scam.

And to put a real disc in the box, not containing the game. They have some nerve.[/QUOTE]
#-o

you could buy this online for the same price OR you can have a physical box with the code in it which would cost more to produce since it needed to be distributed. would you rather in a gift card fashion rather than having a box?

since MvC2 was a physical release it only make sense to make do it digitally to cut the cost and to eliminate the second hand market completely. they did this for SFII Turbo HD and it works for them.

[quote name='phear3d']

you could buy this online for the same price...[/QUOTE]

i thought it had been discussed at length that this is going to be $5 more, because it includes some bonuses...?

[quote name='Gamelore']Even this is not a "+". More like:

Digital Download

[/QUOTE]

I can get any download content on the Japanese XBLA or PSN by importing points and without the need to get a new system. There are tons of Japanese exclusive Xbox 360 games that are region locked.

[quote name='allyourblood']i thought it had been discussed at length that this is going to be $5 more, because it includes some bonuses...?[/QUOTE]
theres no telling anymore since the link was removed.. who knows.. maybe it was just a tease? its funny how it was just for the Ps3 version but not the 360 version.

what would be smart is for them to re-release the PS2 version or port it to the PSP as physical and download.. but thats asking a little too much. :lol:

Just a heads up, you can still pre-order the MvC2 retail pack in-store. I was at GS yesterday to put money down on Metroid Prime Trilogy and felt like asking if MvC2 retail was in the system, and woohoo! I put $5 down on it as well.

[quote name='InvaderZim']... wonder what the trade in value of an empty case is?[/QUOTE]

lol...I don't think you get anything.

So is the retail pack ($15 or $20) still coming put or not? I thought I read Capcom had scrapped the special PS3 edition...

i second post #127

capcom said the scrapped gamestop listed mvc2 store pack was not all correct, and announcements are to follow before the 13th

OK i got your link

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...49667/MVC2_Retail_Pack_for_PS3__True_or_False

dunno how to do spoilers /fail

post 1:Gamestop has in its computer a 8/14/09 listing for MVC2 for PS3. Is this true? Why only PS3? Does it come with anything special? Is it a Gamestop exclusive?

post3/modpost/svenfromcapcom: We haven't announced anything like that just yet, and what's there isn't quite right. Stay tuned.
smiley-wink.gif

You know, I would have paid the extra five dollars just to have an actual disc and manual. I don't need that bonus junk.

Well. It's still better than a direct purchase at the PSN without any tangible bonus or the ability to use a store-specific discount/coupon.

Awesome, definitely gonna get it. It sounds like a GS/EB exclusive, but I hope amazon carries it, too.

I may just go pre-order @ GS to be safe--have to go move my uncharted 2 pre-order to ACII CE anyways.

[quote name='WiiShopChannels']is the retail pack worth picking this up if I can just download the game off of my friend?[/QUOTE]

IF this does end up being released you get a download voucher/code for the game. Simply give that to your friend or redeem it on your account and let your friend download it. If worse comes to worse just split the cost like a friend and I do with almost all the PSN games we get.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']IF this does end up being released you get a download voucher/code for the game. Simply give that to your friend or redeem it on your account and let your friend download it. If worse comes to worse just split the cost like a friend and I do with almost all the PSN games we get.[/QUOTE]

ah yea. i can just do that so that I can have the box for myself.

bread's done
Back