Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS3) - Retail Pack $15

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
the PS3 version will also come in a retail package that contains:

• Redemption Code for full game
  • DVD case with sleeve
  • Data DVD with exclusive artwork (wallpapers, icons, character and content art), 4 trailers and screenshots
  • 8 page color manual with artwork and moves list
  • 1 month free subscription to Marvel Digital Comics ($9.99 value)
  • 2000 Capcom-Unity points - can be used for prizing and auctions

This is actually $5.00 more than the DD but this could be a deal for collector's and fans of the game.

EB/GS Preorder Link

UPDATE: Link is DEAD. Not sure why...could it be that they sold out?
UPDATE: 8-10-09

- package is confirmed: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/10/marvel-vs-capcom-2-retail-package-confirmed/
(looks like it won't contain the media disc unfortunately)

- preorder from EB/GS: here

mvc2-retail-conf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thingsfallnapart']How come I seriously believe this to be BS from capcom. As long as something can be profited from, then marvel should always collect licensing fees rite? What's it matter if it's in cd form of download, it's still being sold with marvel's property.[/QUOTE]

If it's digital download, one thing is, is that they don't have to produce and ship anything which will cut cost for them. Also, they won't have to pay Gamestop for the shelf space or give them a piece of the sales.

The publishers WANT digital downloads.. that should tell you that the CONSUMER should be against them.

I have a ton of games on xbla. If I want to grab them and go play at a friend's house, I can't. I have to bring my 360 or recover my gamertag.

And finally, I can't ever sell the game if i get bored of it or don't like it. How is that in the consumer's best interest.

Say no to digital downloads of games. Screwing Gamestop is not a good enough reason.

@ emceelokey: From what I understood, it comes with artwork, a bonus DVD, and a manual in a case, so I'd assume that'd be what ships and takes up shelf space. No game disc but the rest including the code to download is the same as a standard retail copy.

I'll buy one. I was going to buy one for a friend who moved away to be in the military. He's too cheap to buy new games for live so I'll just buy this and email him the code to redeem as a gift that way he can play with me.

Well, I'm definitely anti-download. I'm one of those people who may possibly even stop playing new games if physical copies cease to exist. However, I love this particular game, and I want the remake and any extra goodies I can get with it. In other words, I'm making an exception here. Otherwise, the only game I have downloaded on my PS3 is Flower, and that's for my girlfriend.

to be more honest, I am more apt to buy games "on a whim" but i am very discerning with my downloaded games... for some reason..not having a physical copy really doesnt work well for me.. its almost as if i don't really "own it"

I'll enthusiastically buy this just to send an anti-download message.

It's funny to me that any CAG would not be anti-download. How do you think we'll find deals when games are only available via download? Answer is, there won't be deals. Unless you count 30% off one old item each week. There won't be reward programs to discount your purchases, or trade-ins to leverage your purchases.

The future may be downloads only, but that future also includes the death of game deals.

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']to be more honest, I am more apt to buy games "on a whim" but i am very discerning with my downloaded games... for some reason..not having a physical copy really doesnt work well for me.. its almost as if i don't really "own it"[/QUOTE]

That would be because you do not really own the game is merely being licensed to you.
Personally I am strongly opposed to digital distribution as you do not own your games, another reason is that I prefer having a physical copy to put on my shelves.

Personallly, I think this is a great idea. At least it is a go-between, and there is something physical to commemorate the fact that you paid money for a game.
And perhaps even more important, this thing could go on Target clearance, while the PSN download never will.

[quote name='rogueweapon']waste, don't buy it. this is just a move to appease the box retailers. I say screw Gamestop, digital download is the way of the future. All those ex-Gamestop cornholes will have to work at other retail jobs where they will be cornholes those customers too.[/QUOTE]

No true CAG or smart consumer should ever, ever think like this. More options the better. You can cry about GameStop all you want, but it's another option, and damn good one when it comes to using their used coupons and B2G1.

[quote name='eastx']It's just so that GameStop can get a cut of the sales. Let's not debate ownership here.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[quote name='rogueweapon']I think there will always be sales, even in a digital distribution model. Look at sales on Steam, PSN, and even Live. Granted you won't get clearance prices, but its worth it to not have to deal with some douche bag behind the counter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, fuck that. Screw having to leave the house and actually be social and, GASP, go into a STORE!? AND TALK TO PEOPLE!!?? I'd rather not have clearance sales and pay full retail price for 5 year old games then have to go through THAT hell.

[quote name='DesertLeo']What can you use the Capcom Unity Points for?[/QUOTE]

Every time I see "Unity" I think of that Dave Chapelle skit with Charlie Murphy. SLAP!

guys guys... it's the retail pack, which has the code, paper and case. The actual download game on the PSN (or Live) will be $14.99. I can't imagine it's the same price (on PSN/Live vs the retail pack), because direct download from PSN/Live don't have the extra goodies. Well, with game sharing, it's 80% automatically anyway. The only debate here is, the extra $5 (plus tax) worth it?

[quote name='mechachrome']I'll enthusiastically buy this just to send an anti-download message.

It's funny to me that any CAG would not be anti-download. How do you think we'll find deals when games are only available via download? Answer is, there won't be deals. Unless you count 30% off one old item each week. There won't be reward programs to discount your purchases, or trade-ins to leverage your purchases.

The future may be downloads only, but that future also includes the death of game deals.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I too find it odd that so many CAGers like DD. I mean the fact that you can't leverage deals from used games should make CAGers hate the whole concept. Look at how many of us have bought consoles on just the credit gotten from flipping games.

they should of just put the game cd in there as well, i highly doubt that "they can't"
anyways thanks for the info.

I heard they were going to release a MVC2 retail package that woudl include a fighting stick. Anyone know anything about that release wise?

For those who worry about non-gaming deals on downloads put your worries aside. There will always be bad games developed and so-so games that won't sell to well. So download only gaming deals will always exist.

But if Capcom/GS are trying to find out if a gamer would pay an extra $5 for a retail package the answer is yes. And I have MvsC2 for the oXbox and will still get this game for the 360. But don't think a $64.99 MSRP will pass as a must have for new games. Like before I don't buy until price drop is below 20 bucks.

See gamertag for proof ...

[quote name='h8b1llg8ts']For those who worry about non-gaming deals on downloads put your worries aside. There will always be bad games developed and so-so games that won't sell to well. So download only gaming deals will always exist.
[/QUOTE]

I've bought DD games for dirt cheap in the past myself. So yes, there will always be deals. But try flipping that content into something else. It can't be done. Seeing how large the "flip" threads get, I can't beleive that CAGers would really want DD to become the standard.

"Flipping" really isn't that common. It's popular here because some of us like "getting good deals on games" more than we like actually playing them (hence all the people with 30-game backlogs which, mind you, will never be exhausted). They're not actually saving money in most cases.

Regardless, as someone else just mentioned, downloaded games always have good deals. Steam's weekend deals are undeniable proof of that. Not being able to sell your used games is only a downside for a subset of people, and the ability to re-download the games at any time without having the actual hardware on hand is a nice compromise.

The possibility of "losing" your game if PSN goes down for good or something else like that is a valid argument, but very unlikely to happen. Personally, I'll trust Sony's ability to stay alive more than I will my own ability to keep my game's disc in perfectly playable condition and so forth. Besides, if downloaded games lets us play classic games we otherwise couldn't or gives us a larger selection of cool games like Flower that couldn't make it in retail, then I'm all for it.

I like having a case and disc for my games, too, but it's not worth sacrificing otherwise good games and good options just because I don't have a physical copy.

And, back on topic, I'm all over this. An extra 5 bucks for fancy-pants collector's stuff for one of the best games evar? Yes, please.

[quote name='h8b1llg8ts']So download only gaming deals will always exist.[/QUOTE]

Not nearly as much and not nearly as good. When that dark day comes, good luck finding deals like we find with store clearance or GS used coupons.

[quote name='eastx']It's just so that GameStop can get a cut of the sales. Let's not debate ownership here.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

If people are going to download a game, then they shouldn't waste their money on a box.

[quote name='opportunity777']If people are going to download a game, then they shouldn't waste their money on a box.[/QUOTE] That argument would be sound if you were just getting a box, and just a box, to a download game for $5. One could argue if the extras in this collection are or aren't worth the extra $5, but that'd be more of a "regular vs deluxe" argument.

[quote name='Thrinn']That argument would be sound if you were just getting a box, and just a box, to a download game for $5. One could argue if the extras in this collection are or aren't worth the extra $5, but that'd be more of a "regular vs deluxe" argument.[/QUOTE]

Sound arguments? I'm not arguing about it. I don't feel "Everything's an Argument." I see the perspective, I just don't agree with it. I'd rather have an Extra Value Meal. :)

[quote name='tenaciousjack']it no longer shows up on gamestop's website[/QUOTE]

Was just about to say. Anyone save a pic? Show me yours and I'll show you ... wait that's something else, sorry.

[quote name='h8b1llg8ts']Was just about to say. Anyone save a pic? Show me yours and I'll show you ... wait that's something else, sorry.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Imageshack allows people to post those ... :)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not nearly as much and not nearly as good. When that dark day comes, good luck finding deals like we find with store clearance or GS used coupons.[/QUOTE]

Oh hell, i don't have luck finding those used game deals in GS NOW. It's always cleaned up by people who seem to have all the time in the world... Thanks to flipping/trading/3rd hand selling ideas, scavenge hunting is not working out for me. I think i'll quit my GS membership after the current one expires ($15 saved, which is really $150 saved, since you'll want to save at least $15 to get the membership money back).

[quote name='Serpentor']Oh hell, i don't have luck finding those used game deals in GS NOW. It's always cleaned up by people who seem to have all the time in the world... Thanks to flipping/trading/3rd hand selling ideas, scavenge hunting is not working out for me. I think i'll quit my GS membership after the current one expires ($15 saved, which is really $150 saved, since you'll want to save at least $15 to get the membership money back).[/QUOTE]

A long time ago, I dropped my membership because of the same problem. I never had the time or energy to run around trying to flip and trade-in stuff.

[quote name='Esoteria']The possibility of "losing" your game if PSN goes down for good or something else like that is a valid argument, but very unlikely to happen. Personally, I'll trust Sony's ability to stay alive more than I will my own ability to keep my game's disc in perfectly playable condition and so forth. Besides, if downloaded games lets us play classic games we otherwise couldn't or gives us a larger selection of cool games like Flower that couldn't make it in retail, then I'm all for it.[/QUOTE]

Even if PSN sticks around do you really think they will be supporting PS3 era downloads in 20 to 25 years or even 10 to 15? I can still play my NES games from the mid-80s any time I want. If I buy a game I should have access to it indefinitely. I will likely stop buying new games and other media completely if downloads are my only option.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Even if PSN sticks around do you really think they will be supporting PS3 era downloads in 20 to 25 years or even 10 to 15? I can still play my NES games from the mid-80s any time I want. If I buy a game I should have access to it indefinitely. I will likely stop buying new games and other media completely if downloads are my only option.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this guy. I do buy a fair share of XBLA and Virtual Console games, but these games are cheap in comparison to a retail release. $5 for an NES classic...hell yeah! I'll take the chance of losing my 'rights' to this d/l since it wasn't expensive. However, I don't feel I'll ever feel comfortable paying $50 or $60 for a d/l version of a new game. Video games have always been around $50 bucks...even NES carts in the 80's. And I like that I can still play them 20 years later.

I think that digital downloads are a viable ADDITION to the gaming marketplace. It is great for small developers with really cool ideas like World of Goo or Castle Crashers. These games can be released for way cheaper digitally and that give us gamers a bigger variety to choose from. Digital rights/managment is always going to be a concern, but how else can we support the new generation of developers trying to get noticed?

I hope we can keep a happy medium between the two formats. This generation of consoles has given us access to an unprecedented number of games throught both digital and physical based properties. It's an exciting time to be a gamer!

[quote name='Collectordragon']Even if PSN sticks around do you really think they will be supporting PS3 era downloads in 20 to 25 years or even 10 to 15? I can still play my NES games from the mid-80s any time I want. If I buy a game I should have access to it indefinitely. I will likely stop buying new games and other media completely if downloads are my only option.[/QUOTE]

i agree completely, except that i will definitely stop buying games if digital downloads become the standard. luckily that's likely several years off.

I wish we could have digital download deal threads without a bunch of incessant arguing about the merits of downloadable software. Never mind that if not for downloadable software, there'd be no Marvel VS. Capcom 2 for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3... Ack, I just made a point. Now somebody will try to refute it. I hate you all.

[quote name='eastx']I wish we could have digital download deal threads without a bunch of incessant arguing about the merits of downloadable software. Never mind that if not for downloadable software, there'd be no Marvel VS. Capcom 2 for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3... Ack, I just made a point. Now somebody will try to refute it. I hate you all.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='opportunity777']Sound arguments? I'm not arguing about it. I don't feel "Everything's an Argument."[/QUOTE] I wasn't using the term "argument" in the sense of quarreling. ;)

So let me get this straight you only get the code to download the game once? vs buying it on PSN you are able to spread it across (download again 5 times) in case anything happens to your PS3

[quote name='CaoPi']So let me get this straight you only get the code to download the game once? vs buying it on PSN you are able to spread it across (download again 5 times) in case anything happens to your PS3[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. Anything in your download history can be downloaded again. I don't know about shared, but I don't see why not.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Incorrect. Anything in your download history can be downloaded again. I don't know about shared, but I don't see why not.[/QUOTE]

so your not sure, someone please confirm on this!

bread's done
Back