Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS3) - Retail Pack $15

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
the PS3 version will also come in a retail package that contains:

• Redemption Code for full game
  • DVD case with sleeve
  • Data DVD with exclusive artwork (wallpapers, icons, character and content art), 4 trailers and screenshots
  • 8 page color manual with artwork and moves list
  • 1 month free subscription to Marvel Digital Comics ($9.99 value)
  • 2000 Capcom-Unity points - can be used for prizing and auctions

This is actually $5.00 more than the DD but this could be a deal for collector's and fans of the game.

EB/GS Preorder Link

UPDATE: Link is DEAD. Not sure why...could it be that they sold out?
UPDATE: 8-10-09

- package is confirmed: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/10/marvel-vs-capcom-2-retail-package-confirmed/
(looks like it won't contain the media disc unfortunately)

- preorder from EB/GS: here

mvc2-retail-conf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like a lot of people just want to collect the box for some reason. I would understand this if it were a limited item like the mega man 9 cartridge or the SSF2HD box. Its just a standard case with the artwork. You can easily print the artwork and insert it in a blank PS3 case. Capcom probably made a retail box to promote the game even more and get some more sales behind it on PSN. The XBLA version got enough exposure with the whole "Summer of Arcade" thing they do. oh well whatever i guess....

[quote name='outphase']You must not want to collect it yourself then. If you don't want it, of course you won't see the value in it. The pack is already sold out in my local GameStops, so someone other than you sees value in having the box.[/QUOTE]

I only purchased it because it was the SAME price as just downloading it and I picked up a copy on the way to the store. There's also that one month online comic voucher too so there's some extra value. And hey, now I have an extra PS3 case to swap in if I ever buy a used game and the case is damaged. I was going to buy the game anyways so I think its an interesting experiment as more and more stuff gets released via download.

Just got the call from "Ashley" at GS confirming I can pick up my retail copy tomorrow.

Her voice was particularly irritating this call, lol.

Got my copy. Driving there wasn't a complete waste today because the girlfriend really wanted some fried talapia just a block down. I must admit, I do like the whole tangible DLC thing going on. Great cover art too.

Edit: Just opened it up. The comic book download paper thingy was all scrunched up. Oh well, at least the actual DLC paper was mint.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not nearly as much and not nearly as good. When that dark day comes, good luck finding deals like we find with store clearance or GS used coupons.[/QUOTE]

There are always sales on Steam

would you guys recommend I pick up two copies and leave one unopened, or would it not matter at all if the game is opened since the box is just a slip of paper...

[quote name='mis0']You Californians also know that tax varies by county and stuff right? For example, sales tax in Orange County is 8.75% but back up north in the Bay Area, tax ranges from 9.25% to 9.75%.[/QUOTE]

Lucky you
9.75% here in LA.

Picked it up about an hour ago (Sacramento), they have maybe 2 or 3 more when I left. My box didn't have the manual, did anyone have it? It looked like my one had the Gamestop shrink instead of the manufacturers shrink.

[quote name='pco45']Picked it up about an hour ago (Sacramento), they have maybe 2 or 3 more when I left. My box didn't have the manual, did anyone have it? It looked like my one had the Gamestop shrink instead of the manufacturers shrink.[/QUOTE]

Picked mine up today in Mountain View, CA. Also no manual included with my copy, but the box is still nice to have.

And with the earlier part of the thread, having the box available made me jump off the fence and actually get this game. w/o it, I'd be much more hesitant to buy it (even though it is pretty damn barebones), as I prefer more traditional 2D-fighters in general.

[quote name='anubis20']Got mine today WOOT , who else had gamestop employees in football jerseys and their faces painted

Pics

DSC05644.jpg

DSC05636.jpg

DSC05637.jpg

The whole happy family

DSC05640.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Now all you need is the MvC2 Guide and RARE MvC2 Vinyl (record).

well I dunno if this is the place to beg for it or not, if you can gameshare this game, would someone more fortunate than me mind sharing a download code with me via a p.m?

I think people are confusing game sharing (IE going into an account downloading the game) and a code being able to be used 5 times.. the code works once.

I picked it up, although it was gutted this is the first game I've had on the PS3 where I was able to remove those stickers no problem.

It's just nice to have it as part of the collection, I wish more games did this to be honest.

This is what I like to calla BWT.....big waste of time. Just DL the game. Driving over to Gamestop, wasting my gas and having to deal with the annoying GS employees isn't worth it for an empty case.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']This is what I like to calla BWT.....big waste of time. Just DL the game. Driving over to Gamestop, wasting my gas and having to deal with the annoying GS employees isn't worth it for an empty case.[/QUOTE]
Ok, don't get the case. Leave them on the shelf for those who want them.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']This is what I like to calla BWT.....big waste of time. Just DL the game. Driving over to Gamestop, wasting my gas and having to deal with the annoying GS employees isn't worth it for an empty case.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this was much more worth when the rumors of a manual were true. I don't get why they didn't include one.

[quote name='TheBiz']Yeah this was much more worth when the rumors of a manual were true. I don't get why they didn't include one.[/QUOTE]

Because they know that the same people who were willing to buy it with all the junk that was rumored to be included will also pay for it with literally nothing but an empty case and a cheap insert and still be grateful. It really makes me sad and frankly, this is not a deal in any sense of the word.

Got a text message today telling me the game would arrive 8/15 in the PM at my local store (included the local store's phone number). I thought that was interesting.

That case would have been cool if it didn't have the hideous yellow strip on the top of it. I just downloaded it online even though a new gamestop popped up this week less than 2 miles from my spot.

[quote name='outphase']Ok, don't get the case. Leave them on the shelf for those who want them.[/QUOTE]

Works for me. Had to go to the gym anyway, GS in the same plaza, so not a waste of time/gas for all. It is slightly unnecessary (since no manual/unity-points included), but it's still nice to have the option. Too bad they didn't do this with SF HDRemix though.

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about. Yeah, the rumors were wrong about the manual and the Unity points. But the retail package is the SAME price as the DLC. You are getting something versus nothing. If you don't want some "stupid plastic case," then don't get it. If you preordered already, then transfer the preorder or request a refund.

Yeah, I don't get why people are getting all pissy about this. Yeah, some of the rumors were false, but you still get the Marvel Digital thing for a month. Even if you don't like comics, as the previous poster said, it's the same price. You aren't paying more. I definitely prefer having more options when it comes to these digital downloads, because then you can use your store credit or hope for a sale.

Went go the GS in Elliot in Tempe az, twice because the said they were getting a shipment from another store. Went an hour before closing and they just sold the other three copies within 20 minutes. Thankfully the guy there called the store on 24th and baseline and they had one copy left which they held for me.

Am I missing something or are people really this hard up for an empty box? There's nothing in it, right? Why do you all want this so much?

[quote name='TemplePilot']Am I missing something or are people really this hard up for an empty box? There's nothing in it, right? Why do you all want this so much?[/QUOTE]
Because it costs the same as the digital-only version. Plus, they are in limited printing.

edit: Think about it this way. If you are paying $15, would you prefer to have more or less?

[quote name='outphase']Because it costs the same as the digital-only version. Plus, they are in limited printing.

edit: Think about it this way. If you are paying $15, would you prefer to have more or less?[/QUOTE]

Actually, it doesn't. In most states, you have to pay tax and take the time and gas to get to a Gamestop. For $15, you can download the game from the comfort of your home. I'm sorry, but digital only distribution irritates me in the first place and the fact that they are quelling discontent now by giving people an empty box just adds insult to injury. I personally would love to see people rebel against these products and insist on a real disc copy.

I guess your answer to my question is "less." That's fine with me. I paid exactly $14.99 for the retail box. I would have paid exactly $14.99 for the PSN release. I apologize to all of the naysayers because I wanted more value for my money.

I'm just curious (because I've never bought DLC/a voucher in a retail case before) how you can NOT pay tax (I'd assume it's state based, but I could be wrong)....Here in IL where I am, I have to pay tax on PSN, and I've never not paid tax in a store, so I guess maybe it's location-based?

[quote name='outphase']I guess your answer to my question is "less." That's fine with me. I paid exactly $14.99 for the retail box. I would have paid exactly $14.99 for the PSN release. I apologize to all of the naysayers because I wanted more value for my money.[/QUOTE]

If you're in San Diego, I don't know how that's possible. Gamestop charges California tax. Also, do you live in a Gamestop? Does your time have zero value? Does your car run on air? What is the value of an empty PS3 case for a disc you can never own and a ridiculous looking insert informing you that the only way to ever play this game on your console is to download it with a single use code? This is absolutely not a deal.

[quote name='bojay1997']If you're in San Diego, I don't know how that's possible. Gamestop charges California tax. Also, do you live in a Gamestop? Does your time have zero value? Does your car run on air? What is the value of an empty PS3 case for a disc you can never own and a ridiculous looking insert informing you that the only way to ever play this game on your console is to download it with a single use code? This is absolutely not a deal.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I am in SD. No, I was not charged tax. I assume it's because it was considered somewhere between a gift card and a digital download which are not supposed to be taxed in CA.

I want to apologize to you personally that my purchasing decision has so gravely affected you to where you have to point out the error of my ways.

I never claimed this was a deal. I was just stating that if I were to pay $14.99, I want as much out of it. Excuse me for already being at the mall at that time. Who knew my decisions impacted you so.

[quote name='bojay1997']If you're in San Diego, I don't know how that's possible. Gamestop charges California tax. Also, do you live in a Gamestop? Does your time have zero value? Does your car run on air? What is the value of an empty PS3 case for a disc you can never own and a ridiculous looking insert informing you that the only way to ever play this game on your console is to download it with a single use code? This is absolutely not a deal.[/QUOTE]

Not everything is taxed. DLC vouchers are not taxed. The package is treated like a Microsoft points card or PSN card. I reserved mine earlier in the week and am picking it up tomorrow. I paid exactly $14.99. I also live in California.

Actually, with the number of empty boxes sold on ebay, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get about 10-15$ back out of it later. And if it becomes really sought after getting even more.

I don't know why you (and others) are so boggled by the idea that people want to collect something that 1) is actually limited making it inherently a collectible, and 2) holds meaning TO THEM. The "value of an empty PS3 case" might have no significance to you, but it does to others.

Deals are subjective. There are a hell of a lot of posts on this forum that I don't personally think are deals, but yet there they are. I don't post complaints about them. Besides, if more people agreed with you, the mods would've moved this topic a looong time ago.

[quote name='Ziv']Actually, with the number of empty boxes sold on ebay, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get about 10-15$ back out of it later. And if it becomes really sought after getting even more.[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt this either. If you plan on doing it though, don't be an idiot like this guy. Make sure you wait BEFORE Gamestop.com sells out... -_-;

[quote name='Ragekod']Went go the GS in Elliot in Tempe az, twice because the said they were getting a shipment from another store. Went an hour before closing and they just sold the other three copies within 20 minutes. Thankfully the guy there called the store on 24th and baseline and they had one copy left which they held for me.[/QUOTE]

Copy of what? Dude, it's an empty case with a DL code in it. Are the people so excited and chasing down these empty cases also going to take a printable DVD-R and print the disc art on it so there is actually something in the case to look at? lol

People just don't get it. I got a crappy artbook with my blazblue pre-order for free. It sold on ebay for well over $100. People want it for their collection. They're fans. Thats all there is to it. $15 for a game in a limited case with coverart is a great deal for a fan.

Amazes me how this just flies over some peoples heads :roll:

[quote name='Japakneez']People just don't get it. I got a crappy artbook with my blazblue pre-order for free. It sold on ebay for well over $100. People want it for their collection. They're fans. Thats all there is to it. $15 for a game in a limited case with coverart is a great deal for a fan.

Amazes me how this just flies over some peoples heads :roll:[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't realize there was a game in the case.

[quote name='floormat']does anyone know if you can use your save from the original ps2 version of this game on this version? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You don't need it. All characters are unlocked when you start playing the game.

I had to buy it for my sharegroup anyway, so went ahead and picked up the empty box. No tax for me either. The boxart is actually pretty nice, I'm sure people will be looking for it once it's sold out, maybe I can make my $15 back :p

If I cant trade the 1 month code for the comics, I'll give it to my bro, I'm sure he'll get some enjoyment out of it.

ok guys, a little lesson on tax from someone who isn't sure

PSN charges tax for states that SONY has stores in, or sometimes just the headquarters/warehouse, same with amazon

so if you weren't charged tax, SONY does not have a retailer presence in your state

and being cheapasses, you all should know how tax works with online retailers...

bread's done
Back