Marvel vs. Capcom 3 discussion thread

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I suck at this game.[/QUOTE]

Me too, man...LOL. Everything just happens too fast and I get overwhelmed by assists. It is fun to play against other noobs who don't use assists though. Not sure if I want to take the time to try to become competent in this game or just move on. 3D fighting has always been more my thing but I still buy just about every 2D fighter anyway. :D

[quote name='Killbomb']Me too, man...LOL. Everything just happens too fast and I get overwhelmed by assists. It is fun to play against other noobs who don't use assists though. Not sure if I want to take the time to try to become competent in this game or just move on. 3D fighting has always been more my thing but I still buy just about every 2D fighter anyway. :D[/QUOTE]

I am the complete opposite! I love 2D fighters and am mediocre I feel at 3D ones. Yet like you it seems, we both have nearly all titles of each type!

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I suck at this game.[/QUOTE]

Whoo man, we're in the same boat. But hey, maybe we can play against eachother sometime. :lol: Same skill level means we can both just flop around the screen having no idea what we're doing and we won't feel retarded!

[quote name='bs000']What button layout are you guys using with your arcade sticks? I've been trying to figure out what they might use if this were in arcades.

I was thinking

L M H
S A1 A2

Or something >_>[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm using. Kinda similar to the BlazBlue layout and seems very comfortable. It's a little weird getting used to the assist button positioning. I'm debating about trying....

L H A1
M S A2

That's a little closer to the old MVC2 layout.

I wish the button config was like HDR/MVC2. There is no pre-set layouts for the MVC2 TE stick, which is a pain in the ass.

The one ranked matched I was able to play ended up rage quitting on me. He was beating my ass until Arthur was my last guy. I armored up and used X-Factor and beat the snot out of him. I was really hoping to get some hate mail from that.

As much as I like Thor as a character I HATE him in this game. I just can't use him effectively. I feel comfortable with Skrull, Arthur, Haggar.

[quote name='MtlTom']That's what I'm using. Kinda similar to the BlazBlue layout and seems very comfortable. It's a little weird getting used to the assist button positioning. I'm debating about trying....

L H A1
M S A2

That's a little closer to the old MVC2 layout.[/QUOTE]

I use the BlazBlue layout myself:
L M A1
S H A2

I pretty much have to use some variation of it in order to use X-Factor on pad, but that control scheme feels pretty natural to me anyway.

Good games to everyone who was on last night.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Ok I suck at this. I'm just trying to do the Iron Man Mission with ducking L, ducking M, standing H, then Uni Beam L. I can get to the uni beam and do it, but it doesn't take it as part of the combo.

Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're doing a standing H? Are you sure you're doing a L Uni Beam? The negative edging may be resulting in a H Uni Beam coming out instead.

If you're sure you're getting both parts, then you're simply not doing it fast enough.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Whoo man, we're in the same boat. But hey, maybe we can play against eachother sometime. :lol: Same skill level means we can both just flop around the screen having no idea what we're doing and we won't feel retarded![/QUOTE]

Haha that pretty much sum's up my online fighting experience.

I'm delusional when it comes to fighting games. I know I'm terrible at them but I still buy them first day. Hell I even have a TE stick that I have no idea how to utilize not to mention another modded stick, the tekken 6 stick, and a couple sticks for the wii.

So if you want to play someone you can beat send me a gamertag invite. I'd be more than down to play some people more in my skill range.

My normal online matches go something like this:

Match starts - I do some retarded fireball - 2 seconds later I'm dead and have no idea what happened.

[quote name='LordVila']Anybody interested in getting some of the achievements tonight? Like the Wesker vs Chris and the other similar ones to that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am. But I probably wont be on till 9pm.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']When they get you into a combo, you kind of just have to sit there and watch your guy get the shit beat out of him. Getting a Team Aerial Counter is pretty damn hard to predict. I guess I just have to get used to the game, but for now I'm getting my ass handed to me, to the point where he's kind of getting bored of winning.[/QUOTE]

This game needs a Burst like in Guilty Gear or BlazBlue badly (unless there is an equivalent skill I don't realize exists)

If you're having trouble getting online matches, go into another mode like Training, and turn invites on. Seems to work a lot better.

Also, if anyone is interested in working on some of the matchup achievements, hit me up.

-

I'll be putting time in on this all week online! I have a few set friends I'm playing with currently, but I'd love to play with others! Anyone is welcome to add me if they want some friendly matches or don't mind jumping in a lobby with me and some friends.

[quote name='Zmonkay']This game needs a Burst like in Guilty Gear or BlazBlue badly (unless there is an equivalent skill I don't realize exists)[/QUOTE]
X-Factor is kind of this game's similar mechanic. You can obviously use it offensively to cancel hyper combos and extend combos, but you're also able to cancel out of block stun.

The only example I've seen of this so far is with Thor where you cancel out of block stun while you're getting pressured and go into his command grab super.

Can someone start "people who suck at mvc3" group? I am terrible and need to fight other losers.

Also, has anyone gotten a definitive answer yet? So far, all I've heard is that the codes on my SE are good for Jill and Shuma-Gorath on 3/15. Is that also the date that people can buy those characters on live?

[quote name='confoosious']Can someone start "people who suck at mvc3" group? I am terrible and need to fight other losers.

Also, has anyone gotten a definitive answer yet? So far, all I've heard is that the codes on my SE are good for Jill and Shuma-Gorath on 3/15. Is that also the date that people can buy those characters on live?[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to join said group. I don't want to play online and get my ego beaten to a pulp. :)

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I'm willing to join said group. I don't want to play online and get my ego beaten to a pulp. :)[/QUOTE]

Send a FR to "CAG SCRUB CLUB" It was the tag used for SSFIV for novices and newbies. I run it, so just PM me if you send a FR to it so I know to accept it.

This DLC nonsense is getting out of control, if I had paid any more than thirty dollars for this game then I think I would've felt completely ripped off.

[quote name='MtlTom']X-Factor is kind of this game's similar mechanic. You can obviously use it offensively to cancel hyper combos and extend combos, but you're also able to cancel out of block stun.

The only example I've seen of this so far is with Thor where you cancel out of block stun while you're getting pressured and go into his command grab super.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I thought you can't X-Factor when you're in blockstun. You can X-Factor in between blockstuns of dropped blockstrings for sure, but I didn't think you were able to do it while blocking an attack.

EDIT: I stand corrected. You can cancel blockstun with X-Factor as long as you aren't being hit at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pay for Thor classic and Spencer classic (if they'll have one)

According to the stats in MVC3 Haggar is more intelligent than Captain America, Thor, and Super Skrull, but on the same level as Spider-Man. Just cause the guys a mayor doesn't make him a genius.

I'll be sending a Scrub CLub request. I have no clue what I'm doing so far.

Well Capcom has to try to inflate how good their characters are. Already makes no sense for most of them to even be able to stand face to face with a Marvel character more then a few seconds.

Played this over lunch. Wow it's fast. Did some of the missions. It's hard for my brain to understand a lot of the combos.

I bought the strategy guide off Amazon, I will read through the and hopefully I will actually figure out how to play it. The printed instructions that come with the game are fairly decent, probably some of the most detailed instructions I've seen in a while.

Jill's level 3 Hyper has been leaked as a Bang's Fu Rin Za Kan (sp?) ripoff... which of course means it's going to be awesome. Super fast teleporting 8-way dashes. Combined with X-Factor, I imagine it will obliterate people.

I finally got all the Arcade Endings
including losing to Galactus
it wasn't all that bad, but I definitely know which characters I have no interest in ever touching again thanks to it. I haven't really decided on my team, but I have a feeling it's going to be a combination of Chun-Li, Dante, Phoenix, Zero, Sentinel and Captain America.

i love unlocking characters, it's been a tradition since the gensisi/snes days or longer. Its like right when you get tired of playing with the characters you already had BAM ! a new character unlocks and brings new life to the same game ! plus gives an extra incentive to story mode besides the story ......Damm new kids wanting everything unlocked...

I'm about halfway done with the endings. I try to use each character exclusively during each play through. Just to get a feel for them.

[quote name='Morphx2']I cant wait to beat you to a pulp again Guardian :D[/QUOTE]

I think your memory might be a little foggy. ;)

I don't believe I've ever played you in a new school fighter, so this'll be interesting.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm about halfway done with the endings. I try to use each character exclusively during each play through. Just to get a feel for them.[/QUOTE]

I was actually surprised at how much I liked the feel of Viewtiful Joe despite not being that big on him.

Oh, and I forgot about Amaterasu. She's borderline broken. Once she gets in, there's no way to get her out.

[quote name='GuardianE']I think your memory might be a little foggy. ;)

I don't believe I've ever played you in a new school fighter, so this'll be interesting.[/QUOTE]

Whatcha gonna do when the Dolphin comes for you??? :)

Is bs00000000 playing this too?

I picked up the MvC3 guide at the store today since amazon ran out of stock and wont ship it for like 2 more weeks. It makes a good bathroom reader :D

I desperately need to mod my stick. Been playing for about an hour and I finally found a comfortable position which has had a dramatic effect on my performance in Mission Mode. Phoenix will definitely be mained on my first team since it appears she's the easiest for me to grasp. So far my favorite corner combo with her (especially after a hard teleport or TK Shot) is: j.H, d+H, c.L x3, c.M, c.H into launcher, j.L x2, j.M, f+H, Light TK shot xx Phoenix Rage. I also noticed you can sneak in a j.H before a d+H after the c.L, c.M, c.H, Medium Overdrive combo too which is pretty sick.

The timing of 8 & 9 as well as any assist related missions still allude me so I'm nowhere near battle ready yet. It's just nice to see some solid progress for once. If I can commit some safe combos to memory along with the proper set ups and teleporting I think I'll have enough down to tackle Wesker eventually. For now I'm just going to continue taking it slow.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I only played two offline matches yesterday and I had a blast. I've never been good at these games, but is online really that bad?[/QUOTE]

I played 1 ranked match and got destroyed. Played some player matches and won 4 in a row against the same guy, lost 3 that were pretty close and then got obliterated again. Probably best to wait on ranked a bit until all the better players have advanced past the starting ranks. :D

My team so far is looking like Dante, X-23 and probably Captain America or Ryu. Don't like the way some of the characters play at all such as MODOK, Ameratsu and Viewtiful Joe to name a few.

I'm down for the Scrub Club...lol. I'll send a FR later on.

That doesn't sound too bad, though I'll be playing through offline mode for a bit to get used to the characters and the controls before I jump online.

I'll be around all night tonight if anyone is interested in getting some of the achievements mainly:

Copy This! - 20
Put an end to this game of spider and fly in a Xbox LIVE match.

In an XBL match each one person must have Spiderman and the other must have Taskmaster. It doesn't matter who wins, after the fight is over the achievement will unlock.

Whose Side Are You On? - 20
Bring about an end to the Civil War in a Xbox LIVE match.

In an XBL match each one person must have Captain America and the other must have Ironman. It doesn't matter who wins, after the fight is over the achievement will unlock.

Fate of Two Worlds - 20
Make a match on Xbox LIVE between the marquee characters for this game a reality.

For this you need to have two teams with the following characters:

Team 1
Wolverine
The Hulk
Ironman

Team 2
Chris
Ryu
Morrigan

Either team can win, after the match the achievement will unlock.

Duty and Deus Ex Machina - 20
Make a match on Xbox LIVE between a national hero and a killing machine a reality.

In an XBL match each one person must have Captain America and the other must have Modok. It doesn't matter who wins, after the fight is over the achievement will unlock.

Fate of the Satsui no Hadou - 20
Decide who is the true master of the fist in a Xbox LIVE match.

In an XBL match each one person must have Ryu and the other must have Akuma. It doesn't matter who wins, after the fight is over the achievement will unlock.

Raccoon City Incident - 20
Settle things between former S.T.A.R.S. members in a Xbox LIVE match.

In an XBL match each one person must have Chris and the other must have Wesker. It doesn't matter who wins, after the fight is over the achievement will unlock.

Just send me a message on here or add me on XBL (ChanceW84) and we can get some very easy achievements.

[quote name='dastly75']I'm not into fighters but I rented this game and...fuck me but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. We should get a CAG Lobby up.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but big lobbies annoy me right now with no spectator mode! ARGH! unless we have some healthy chat going on, I can't see myself wanting to watch health bars drop for 5 games.

It's sorta un fucking believable the shit they took out of this game compared to SSFIV.

The missions are ridiculous. There's no gradual rise in difficulty. The first 3 are super, super simplistic, then everything else is like a 9+ hit air combo with assists and x-factor cancels. IDK why they chopped the Missions in half compared to SSFIV. The missions in that game had a nice, gradual build up and each mission built upon each other and having stuff spread across 20 missions was nice. In that game, I could get to say, mission 15 with a lot of characters before things got too wacky for me, but this? It's like mission 4 and I'm OUT. I'm sure that'll change the more I play, but dayam, the expected learning curve is too damn steep.

Also, they force you to pause the game to look at the commands during Missions as opposed to having the inputs be available to look at on screen like in SSFIV...WTF? And no Spectator mode is a real fucking slap in the face. People had to wait for SSFIV to get it. I wonder if they're going to pull the same shit with MVC3 where we see a revised edition come out next year.

/rage

Anyways, it's still a fun game and I hope to put in some real time into it and learn how to play instead of always relying on my L+M+H+S jump L+M+H+S combo :)

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I desperately need to mod my stick. [/QUOTE]

I was actually doing the Mission mode challanges for Phoenix and I really think the SE stick I have is hampering my execution. I think the joystick is slowly dying. I plan on upgrading to a TE stick as soon as I can.

ive been playing since yesterday and i think im getting better. Havent played online yet casue ill get my ass handed to me but yesterday i couldnt beat stage 5 on normal difficulty but now i completed the whole arcade mode on normal so thats a good sign. Im still really bad at blocking though, anyone have any tips?

i thought i was getting better (blocking,comboing) then i played my first ranked match and the guy was so good he used a super and then switch characters and then super'd again like instantly he never gave me a chance to fight back, i still don't know how to switch characters (if i ever do its random)

magneto plus level 5 bar... unstoppable?

bread's done
Back