Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

Blue Suns really do love them some rockets, don't they? I noticed that nearly every firefight vs Mercs has a steady stream of rockets whizzing past my head. Way more than I remembered in ME2 and definitely more than in ME3.

yeah, ME3 didnt have that at all. Like I said, first time I found myself missing the ME3 combat.

Up tonight should be Kasumi's loyalty mission (dat Locust) and probably Jack's recruitment.

Yes, I'm also doing my insanity run and those rockets are getting a little crazy. But if I can identify where they are coming from, I overload the shields and then have Jack yank them out of cover with Pull and it's not so bad.

[quote name='GamerDude316']This is my 7th play though as well and I always had this happen in ME2, especially when getting hit by the Blue Suns rockets. I mean, it's realistic, but it's annoying as hell to not be able to get to cover either.[/QUOTE]

Since I favor playing the Soldier, I just AR to cover. Little to no hits and in cover very quickly. I can understand how other classes would have difficulty with it. Just something other classes have to find a way around, I guess.

[quote name='dualedge2']Since I favor playing the Soldier, I just AR to cover. Little to no hits and in cover very quickly. I can understand how other classes would have difficulty with it. Just something other classes have to find a way around, I guess.[/QUOTE]

yeah, when I did my Insanity run I did Soldier (which I've also done in most other playthroughs, I think I've only played through ME2 as a Soldier and Adept) and so I just used AR to get through without as much trouble. I'm going through as a Sentinel now and the combo of powers/lack of assault rifle is definitely jarring for me. Not in a bad way, just different.

[quote name='GamerDude316']yeah, when I did my Insanity run I did Soldier (which I've also done in most other playthroughs, I think I've only played through ME2 as a Soldier and Adept) and so I just used AR to get through without as much trouble. I'm going through as a Sentinel now and the combo of powers/lack of assault rifle is definitely jarring for me. Not in a bad way, just different.[/QUOTE]
Dude, yeah you gotta experience all the classes, you're missing out as they play way differently.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well that's odd, last night driving around in the Mako -in ME1- I couldn't zoom in with the gun (after I had used the feature on the Moon looking at Earth actually). I could still fire and everything but I had to be really good to line up the explosive shot lol.[/QUOTE]

Ha, so apparently it turns out the reason why I can't zoom in with the right stick depressed is related to my controller. The stick doesn't register unless I really press it in as I found this out trying to zoom in fire in Halo 4. FYI

[quote name='Spybreak8']Dude, yeah you gotta experience all the classes, you're missing out as they play way differently.

Ha, so apparently it turns out the reason why I can't zoom in with the right stick depressed is related to my controller. The stick doesn't register unless I really press it in as I found this out trying to zoom in fire in Halo 4. FYI[/QUOTE]

lol I know I know, I tried an Engineer playthrough (and I think a Sentinel) but never got far because I always found myself missing the assault rifle lol. I'm a sucker for the Revenant. But I am enjoying my Sentinel this time around.

Just finished Kasumi's loyalty quest. Time to get that Reaper IF/F, finish Legion's loyalty quest, and then off to the Omega 4 Relay to finish the game.

THEN I'm off to do my Insanity PT. Still so much to do. And since only HWs carry over, I'm going to do all the side missions, Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Arrival on my Insanity PT.

The one mission I fear above all others on Insanity is Kasumi's loyalty mission. I know you get all that SMG goodness out of it....still.....I f'ing HATE that boss battle. For some reason, that thing kicks my ass every time. No thanks. Kasumi, you ain't making back from this here suicide mission. Sux 2 B U.

32712883.jpg

It's not that hard, is it? Just hang back near the entrance and plink away at the boss. With the exception of the mech that comes with each reinforcement wave, none of the enemies will get close enough to be particularly threatening, and you can pick most of them off at your leisure.

Yea, it's not hard. Just be sure to grab that thermal clip in front of you between waves. Other than that, it couldn't be simpler: you have a very defensible position (boxes near the entrance, like Crotch said) and you just keep shooting the gunship until Kasumi does her thing. And then you shoot it some more.

yeah, I didnt have too much trouble with that mission either on any of my playthroughs. Just gotta hang back and take your time. I actually did this mission last night too with my Sentinel and didnt have any problems.

I don't know, that part gave me trouble every time for some reason. I haven't tried it as an Infiltrator, so maybe I'll give it a go. I'll make sure I have a save set aside prior to that mission just in case it's too much.

I'm with you Chubby. Every time I have done Kasumi's loyalty mission, I have had trouble with that final battle. The waves of enemies aren't the problem, it's that I'm never quite sure what triggers the sequence where she climbs up and leaps onto the fighter. Sometimes it happens as soon as the thing's shields are down, and sometimes it takes forever.

Been getting a nice chunk done today. So far I did 2 side missions, Citadel, Firewalker mission, Jack's recruitment and Horizon with probably Tali's recruitment up next. Didnt have much trouble on Horizon, really starting to enjoy Tech Armor now.

[quote name='simosaurus']I'm with you Chubby. Every time I have done Kasumi's loyalty mission, I have had trouble with that final battle. The waves of enemies aren't the problem, it's that I'm never quite sure what triggers the sequence where she climbs up and leaps onto the fighter. Sometimes it happens as soon as the thing's shields are down, and sometimes it takes forever.[/QUOTE]

For me, it's always been like this:

1. Take down gunship shields
2. Gunship goes away
3. Gunship comes back
4. Take down gunship shields again
5. Kasumi does her thing

It's all about stripping the shields away as quickly as possible. Aside from that, just keep the enemies at bay and you're good.

Finally finished PT1, on to Insanity PT. In the middle of Mordin's recruitment, and will see if I have time to recruit Garrus later tonight. But it's really nice being able to rock the Viper/Carnifex/Revenant so soon. The Revenant doesn't have the accuracy upgrade yet, but so far so good. Certainly better than the Avenger, where it feels like I'm trying to tickle the enemy to death.

[quote name='GamerDude316']lol I know I know, I tried an Engineer playthrough (and I think a Sentinel) but never got far because I always found myself missing the assault rifle lol. I'm a sucker for the Revenant. But I am enjoying my Sentinel this time around.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you just gotta run with Cyro Blast, Charge, Shotgun. Little frozen gibs every time, pure greatness. That and lifting up enemies and shooting them in the air or combining another biotic power to send em flying is always fun. Stealthily going around their flanks and taking out enemies with sniper rifles is a blast. That or sitting back and firing off all my tech powers. I guess I have a soft spot for all the classes. :D

[quote name='Spybreak8']Stealthily going around their flanks and taking out enemies with sniper rifles is a blast. That or sitting back and firing off all my tech powers. I guess I have a soft spot for all the classes. :D[/QUOTE]
That was my Insanity PT. Engineer, sitting waaay back in cover and just spamming Incinerate and sniping with the Viper. It was rare that enemies even got close to me.

[quote name='simosaurus']Yes, I'm also doing my insanity run and those rockets are getting a little crazy. But if I can identify where they are coming from, I overload the shields and then have Jack yank them out of cover with Pull and it's not so bad.[/QUOTE]
I couldn't even use Jack on Insanity. She would constantly just charge enemies with her shotgun and get mowed down. I found that sniper squadmates required much less babysitting. Usually ran with Zaeed or Thane, in addition to Miranda of course.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That was my Insanity PT. Engineer, sitting waaay back in cover and just spamming Incinerate and sniping with the Viper. It was rare that enemies even got close to me.[/QUOTE]

Yes that worked like a charm for me too. :applause:

I forgot oh strip shields and hack geth to let them do your fighting for you!

[quote name='Spybreak8']I forgot oh strip shields and hack geth to let them do your fighting for you![/QUOTE]
Man, Tali's recruitment is like my favorite mission in that game aside from the Suicide Mission and LOTSB.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I couldn't even use Jack on Insanity. She would constantly just charge enemies with her shotgun and get mowed down. I found that sniper squadmates required much less babysitting. Usually ran with Zaeed or Thane, in addition to Miranda of course.[/QUOTE]

Its been Zaeed and Miranda for me. His inferno grenade has been great help and her overload is essential for stripping shields. I was thinking of taking Jack to the collector ship for her shockwave for the husk crowd control.

If you have the DLC with the incisor rifle, sniper squadmates become walking gods. In addition to their uncanny ability to compensate for the burst fire, that rifle is bugged, and is the only weapon in the game that they do not do significantly reduced damage with.

Holy crap the Collector ship is hard! I'm on those platforms and getting my ass handed to me over and over. On top of it, I only had 5 gels coming into the mission. I picked up the widow, and thankfully I just did Garrus' loyalty mission so I got the +30% sniper rifle damage. But, wow, talk about a spike in the difficulty. I need a prayer for the wicked right 'bout now!

Update: Wow, that Collector ship was tough. I got through it though. I stayed up too late in order to do it while it was fresh. Those platforms at the beginning were the worst. The Praetaerion (how do you spell that anyway?) wasn't so bad, you just had to keep circling the area and having Miranda hitting its barriers with warp while I sniped it, then Zaeed hit it with inferno grenades once the barriers were down. Rinse. Repeat. I'm glad I took the blackstorm because it mowed down husks like nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
At first I approached the Insanity run as a grind, thinking about doing the minimum to get the cheevo. But now that I got through Horizon and am on to Illium, I am really just enjoying the game. I had forgotten just how good this is (which is strange since I've played it through about six times now).

Yeah, it's funny how you forget about stuff. I just played the game in its entirety last January but there were already things I forgot about. Such a great game.

Finished recruiting Mordin, Garrus, Jack, Grunt, and Samara. Up next, Thane and Tali's recruitment. Pretty smooth sailing so far. Had a bit of trouble with Garrus and Jack's recruitments (died a couple times because Shepard decided he was tired of crouching behind boxes), but things have been much easier as I'm progressing.

Credits, on the other hand, are getting kind of tight. Probably just means that I need to stop buying stuff and start doing more recruitment/loyalty missions. On the plus side, I think I've made an extra 50k credits thanks to the glitch (if you want extra credits badly enough...), so it's all good. So much fun.

You are moving right along, nice work! I just have Tali's recruitment, Kasumis loyalty the Reaper IFF and then the collector base. Like my buddy Simosaurus said, playing on Insanity isn't about being tough or brave. It's 'bout dat achievement! Therefore I'm skipping some loyalty missions. And Jacob shouldn't live, in any PT.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']And Jacob shouldn't live, in any PT.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

I need to step it up, I'm still on Feros in ME1. I think when I get to ME2 I'm not going to do an Insanity run this time, so I can focus on RP instead and not make decisions just for the sake of making the game easier. :)

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']You are moving right along, nice work! I just have Tali's recruitment, Kasumis loyalty the Reaper IFF and then the collector base. Like my buddy Simosaurus said, playing on Insanity isn't about being tough or brave. It's 'bout dat achievement! Therefore I'm skipping some loyalty missions. And Jacob shouldn't live, in any PT.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I think it does add a challenge to do all the loyalty missions on Insanity too. When I did mine for the cheevo the only missions I skipped were Firewalker Geth mission (those Geth are just retarded on any difficulty and I wasnt gonna be bothered with it on Insanity) and Arrival, which I came back to after the story. Added an extra layer of depth for me.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']:lol:

I need to step it up, I'm still on Feros in ME1. I think when I get to ME2 I'm not going to do an Insanity run this time, so I can focus on RP instead and not make decisions just for the sake of making the game easier. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its fun to RP a playthrough for once. Every one of my playthroughs so far has been pure Paragon or Renegade, but my latest run through the trilogy is purely RP for once. Its added some nice variety making choices as I would actually make. In ME1, the Council, Wrex, and Kirrahe lived but the Rachni Queen died. So far in ME2 I havent done much Renegade but that will change as I do all my loyalty missions. I saved Reegar but plan to destroy the heretic Geth, kill Sidonis, and probably other stuff yet TBD.

It's definitely a different experience to ignore the morality meters and just try to put yourself in your character's shoes and make the decision they would make. Sometimes I think it was a mistake for BioWare to reward players in-game for maxing the meter.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's definitely a different experience to ignore the morality meters and just try to put yourself in your character's shoes and make the decision they would make. Sometimes I think it was a mistake for BioWare to reward players in-game for maxing the meter.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I mean I know there will be consequences for some of the actions I do (Jack will probably die because I wont have Paragon or Renegade maxed out enough to resolve her argument with Miranda, and of course I'm taking Miranda's side) but it definitely feels more real to me.

What I havent decided yet though is how I want to RP my LI for ME2 and 3. I romanced Ashley in ME1 feeling that her and Shepard bonded, but her actions while Shepard was gone and treatment towards him on Horizon have disillusioned him. I'm now trying to decide if I want him to move toward Tali (his friend through thick and thin who has always stood by him) or Liara (afterall she DID recover his body and set up his resurrection). As much as I like Miranda shes out for this playthrough because my Shep is still very skeptical of Cerberus.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Let the thread tags guide you... "Childbearing hips."[/QUOTE]

haha love it. I honestly just want to do a Tali romance cause I never did a full-fledged one before (done Liara, Ashley, and Miranda) although I did see how Tali's romance was in ME2.

My first PT's are always "my decision" PT's. afterwards on subsequent runs I go straight paragon or renegade. I usually run pretty close to 100% paragon anyway.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']My first PT's are always "my decision" PT's. afterwards on subsequent runs I go straight paragon or renegade. I usually run pretty close to 100% paragon anyway.[/QUOTE]

I always say that will be the case in RPGs but usually some other force makes me go one path or the other. In KOTOR I stuck LS on my first run just to see it through and same for ME with Paragon. Skyrim I did whatever I needed to get the achievements (especially Daedra), Fallout's the only one where I actually mixed it up.

I always do what I feel is most beneficial for me at the time.

Like stabbing Cathka with that stun rod. I could care less if it's not something a Paragon would do, it makes that gunship. Any sensible person would do it. So, hell yes I'm doing it. And hell yes I've done it on EVERY PT :lol:

Things like that. While my Shepard may have a full Paragon bar by the end, he'll always have that Renegade bar a quarter full too :D

[quote name='GamerDude316']haha love it. I honestly just want to do a Tali romance cause I never did a full-fledged one before (done Liara, Ashley, and Miranda) although I did see how Tali's romance was in ME2.[/QUOTE]
Never really saw the appeal in Tali myself. I go strictly Ash/Jack for male Sheps, Liara for females. :D

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']My first PT's are always "my decision" PT's. afterwards on subsequent runs I go straight paragon or renegade. I usually run pretty close to 100% paragon anyway.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the first character I played all the games with was mostly Paragon, but with a pro-human streak. He absolutely wouldn't abide any threats to humanity's position of prominence in the galaxy, even if it meant going against his morals-- ended up killing the rachni queen and betraying Mordin and Wrex to prevent the rise of the krogan. Definitely more interesting to do that kind of playthrough than to just choose all red or all blue.

[quote name='dualedge2']I always do what I feel is most beneficial for me at the time.

Like stabbing Cathka with that stun rod. I could care less if it's not something a Paragon would do, it makes that gunship. Any sensible person would do it. So, hell yes I'm doing it. And hell yes I've done it on EVERY PT :lol:

Things like that. While my Shepard may have a full Paragon bar by the end, he'll always have that Renegade bar a quarter full too :D[/QUOTE]

that was always my exception to a Full Paragon run :D It just made far too much tactical sense to stab him there.

Also, I always blow the gas tank below the Clan Weyrloc krogan that keeps rambling on about how amazing his clan will be (during Mordin's loyalty mission). Hearing him scream while he's DiaF'ing is just too much fun (and watching one of the other krogans backing away because he knows what's coming).

I'm sure there's more Renegade things that my "Paragon" Shepard does, but those are the best off the top of my head.

I always sacrifice the Council at the end of ME1 and destroy the base at the end of ME2. Both are just the decision any smart Shepard would make regardless of morality IMO.

[quote name='The Crotch']fuck that. Nobody wastes intelligence on the enemy under my command.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Even though we've seen like 20 examples by that point of dead Reaper technology instantly indoctrinating everyone near it and turning them evil, I bet this time will be different! ;)

[quote name='The Crotch']If you don't want to be on a ship with reaper techonology incorporated, then you should get off the Normandy.[/QUOTE]
Well that's a good point. I suspect that the ultimate answer is just that BioWare didn't fully think all this stuff through and indoctrination just works however it needs to work to advance the plot at any given point. :D However if I was inclined to fanwank an explanation I would say that the Reaper-based stuff in the Normandy (the IFF system, EDI, the Thanix cannon, etc.) is only BASED ON Reaper designs and knowledge gained from studying Reaper technology; there are no actual physical Reaper artifacts on board.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well that's a good point. I suspect that the ultimate answer is just that BioWare didn't fully think all this stuff through and indoctrination just works however it needs to work to advance the plot at any given point. :D However if I was inclined to fanwank an explanation I would say that the Reaper-based stuff in the Normandy (the IFF system, EDI, the Thanix cannon, etc.) is only BASED ON Reaper designs and knowledge gained from studying Reaper technology; there are no actual physical Reaper artifacts on board.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify some things:

1) There has never been (and never will be) a case of "instant" indoctrination. Most of the people that were indoctrinated up to that point, had been observing/studying Reaper technology for extended periods of time. In fact, I think the shortest indoctrination was Dr. Chandana's team on the Derelict Reaper. However, it was never stated how long his team was studying the Reaper. For all we know, they could've been studying it for several weeks.

2) Not sure about the IF/F, but I'm pretty sure it's just a simple component. In fact, if you take a good look at it when you acquire it, it kind of looks like the graybox from Kasumi's mission. Best guess is that it's hardware, like a HDD or PSU. Reaper artifacts have always been fairly large (Object Rho, Derelict Reaper, etc.). At the very least, it has to be as big as the orbs you find in Leviathan.

Your assumptions regarding EDI is incorrect. She is neither Reaper tech nor based on Reaper tech. In ME3, it's revealed that EDI (Enhanced Defense Intelligence) was the rogue VI you fought on the Moon in ME1. She went rogue because she became an AI and was confused about what was happening.

However, you're quite correct about the Thanix Cannon. The Codex entry states that it was created based on Sovereign's main weapon (the red laser beams he fires during the Citadel battle in ME1).

Of course, the other thing you have to wonder is how "dead" does a Reaper have to be to stop the indoctrination process? The Derelict Reaper in ME2 was "dead", but looked mostly intact. Sovereign, on the other hand, was blown to bits. Is that dead enough to stop the indoctrination process? Based on what we've seen/been told, I'd say Sovereign was truly dead while the Derelict Reaper was merely in a vegetative state.

Pretty sure that it's mentioned in the Cronos Station mission that the Rogue VI from ME1 was augmented with Reaper technology/programming to create EDI.

bread's done
Back