Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

Does anyone know if you can enter the preorder codes yet? I was at the masseffect site and I havent seen the link I'm looking for. I was able to preorder a CE today at bestbuy. I got a card for the armor.

[quote name='BigPoppa99']Does anyone know if you can enter the preorder codes yet? I was at the masseffect site and I havent seen the link I'm looking for. I was able to preorder a CE today at bestbuy. I got a card for the armor.[/QUOTE]
If it's like the Dragon Age code it'll probably be inputted in a menu in the actual game.

Guys just got the new OXM (US - Feb 2010 - Mass Effect 2 Cover) and in the review they gave it a 9.5/10 (11 -being unobtainable). Review is about 3-4 pages in length (8 total with pics and another 6 devoted to Bioware. I won't post scans (I'm pretty sure that's a good way to bantown) but thought you guys would like to know the review was enormously positive and they only complained about 3-4 things ("small beans" comparatively).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='reddjoey']Guys just got the new OXM (US - Mass Effect 2 Cover) and in the review they gave it a 9.5/10 (11 -being unobtainable). Review is about 3-4 pages in length (8 total with pics and another 6 devoted to Bioware. I won't post scans (I'm pretty sure that's a good way to bantown) but thought you guys would like to know the review was enormously positive, they only complained about 3-4 things ("small beans" comparatively)[/QUOTE]

At the end they always post the negatives and positives with the number. Post those!

9.5/10 - Editor's Choice (all 9+ reviewed games are)
+ Enveloping universe filled with interesting characters and revealing side stories
+ Outstanding, flexible combat in gorgeous environments
- Main story is a bit disappointing; dull element mining and hacking
? Why do characters cry oil slicks?
The also note that installing to the HDD doesn't prevent having to swap discs

if you search you can find scans

[quote name='NamPaehc']I got lag too. Right before my system died on me. :cry:[/QUOTE]

It's a brand new Arcade that I've only used to play ME downstairs. I pray you're wrong >

[quote name='reddjoey']Guys just got the new OXM (US - Feb 2010 - Mass Effect 2 Cover) and in the review they gave it a 9.5/10 (11 -being unobtainable). Review is about 3-4 pages in length (8 total with pics and another 6 devoted to Bioware. I won't post scans (I'm pretty sure that's a good way to bantown) but thought you guys would like to know the review was enormously positive and they only complained about 3-4 things ("small beans" comparatively).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Admiral Moo']Great news about the review. Thanks for sharing![/QUOTE]

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']At the end they always post the negatives and positives with the number. Post those![/QUOTE]

[quote name='reddjoey']The also note that installing to the HDD doesn't prevent having to swap discs

if you search you can find scans[/QUOTE]

Spybreak8
and BoneMonkey80 already posted the release of the OXM review and a scan of it last week:
[quote name='Spybreak8']Holy crap I wasn't expecting this, got my Feb OXM today which has Mass Effect 2 Exclusive Review in it. Didn't want to read anything so I skimmed through the entire mag and they gave ME2 a
9.5 claiming the main story line was a bit disappointing; dull element mining and hacking as the only negatives.
The issue also has a big Bioware origins story and Halo Reach stuff. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']OXM review scan

45154d1262895717-mass-effect-2-score.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The OXM scan is in an extra layer of spoiler tags because it is just that - a spoiler. Official reviews are about as far as I'll let it go in this thread; and please don't discuss any specifics that a review or article may or may not talk about. You just have to hold out for less than two more weeks :cool:

Official reviews?? Like only CheapyD, Wombat, or Shipwreck? I think OXM is a reputable source (especially since they named Mass Effect their GOTY in 2007). I don't think it "spoiled" the game for anyone by mentioning one reviews brief synopsis and score. If you want to walk in with no knowledge of the game till you stick it in the drive, why would you be in this thread before then? Since you complained, I happily removed it. I just don't think we see eye to eye

Tons of ME2 commercials during ECW last night. Since I haven't watched any of the online videos it was like a 1st taste. I want more. :) Can not wait.

[quote name='reddjoey']Official reviews?? Like only CheapyD, Wombat, or Shipwreck? I think OXM is a reputable source (especially since they named Mass Effect their GOTY in 2007). I don't think it "spoiled" the game for anyone by mentioning one reviews brief synopsis and score. If you want to walk in with no knowledge of the game till you stick it in the drive, why would you be in this thread before then? Since you complained, I happily removed it. I just don't think we see eye to eye[/QUOTE]:hot:

I think my post was misinterpreted. I definitely did not point that last part at one specific person, and most certainly did not intend for there to be any underlying hostility (hence the ":cool:") :)

I'm not against anyone posting reviews in here - from OXM, IGN, GameSpot, etc. - because all those are major outlets and various people like seeing/hearing what they have to say. I was just saying that those kinds of things should be in spoiler tags because not every source knows what the meaning of "spoiler" is (I'd rather just use the blanket generalization that any review may have a spoiler in it - to be safe). The only reason I quoted anyone within the past two days talking/asking about the OXM article was just to point them at previous posts that included the scan so they could see it for themselves.

My use of the phrase official reviews was meant to discourage any posts of impressions or hands-on articles that sites have been posting since the embargo was lifted in mid-December, not to call you or anyone else out for OXM discussions. I know for a fact that many impressions (especially the ones of the first 90 minutes of the game) are just full of information that's best left un-spoiled. Whenever these sites start posting reviews of the entire game, along with w/e score or system they use, that's when it's cool to post here in spoiler tags. I just don't want the impressions and hands-on information here at all, unless it comes from a BioWare dev.

I think I''ve made it excruciatingly obvious (via making/organizing the thread, updating the thread with almost every big news announcement/article that exists, etc.) that I am interested in knowing all I can about ME2, but I'm keeping it spoiler-free for myself and others.

Sorry if any bad wording on my part lead to the impression that I was calling you or any others out.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Ugh... these last 13 days of waiting are absolute torture. I WANT IT NOW.[/QUOTE]
Me too!! AHHHHHHHH! I'm so excited. It better be mofo good, because I've not looked at any footage (since E3) so it will all be a surprise. I just hope they don't go (from what I've heard) heavy combat focus. I enjoyed the (at times) mild combat and intense dialog/choices. I'd like 75% Story/dialog 25% Combat/exploration

I'mma Vanguard, baby!

Anyways, the wait is killing me... I'm also kind of hoping I'll get to add some more scars to my Shepard before I start ME2.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']You guys could do what I do and just rewatch videos on the mass effect website. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

Lol that is what I'm doing.

The both of you are insane. Watching those videos again would only reignite my burning passion for this game. I'd be ten times more miserable than I am now waiting for it. ;(

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']:hot:

I think my post was misinterpreted. I definitely did not point that last part at one specific person, and most certainly did not intend for there to be any underlying hostility (hence the ":cool:") :)

[/QUOTE]

No prob, I filter all smilies as spam so I can take blame as well. I'm all for not "spoiling" a game for people, but like I said we have different ideas on what spoils it.

I'm really hoping Amazon restocks the CE (as I have a ton of credit there). I'll probably end up going to GS (shudder) and buying the regular edition to and selling it on eBay for a small loss when the CE comes back in stock

I just noticed the critter at about the 45 second spot in the Infiltrator video. I was hoping there are more non-humanoid baddies to take down this time around, so that might be a good sign.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, if not for the Lady Gaga concert I have on Sunday I'd put myself in a coma until this game comes out...[/QUOTE]

I know, I'm going to Disney world with my wife and kids next week, which will keep my brain occupied and not thinking about ME2. Can't wait for this game!

That is why I have avoided all videos that are not showing off the characters, classes and the one on XBL. I know nothing of this game and I like it that way.

Were is all my adept love at? I can't believe soldier is beating it!

I was a soldier in the first game, but this time around the other classes look flat out awesome!

I just saw video of this game and I think I'm sold. It also reminds me of Too Human with less FAIL added. Also, wtf... single player only? FAIL...

If you played the first ME you'd know why co-op and multiplayer wouldn't exactly fit. Not that I'm against MP in future games. I'd just personally prefer they'd either be standalone or somewhere in the future.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I just saw video of this game and I think I'm sold. It also reminds me of Too Human with less FAIL added. Also, wtf... single player only? FAIL...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Beautiful[/QUOTE]

Ahahah my sentiments exactly :lol:

[quote name='VipFREAK']I just saw video of this game and I think I'm sold. It also reminds me of Too Human with less FAIL added. Also, wtf... single player only? FAIL...[/QUOTE]

Do you really want to play a game online with guns that isn't Halo or Call of Duty?

People have no appreciation for a good single player game. I actually wrote off some sequels to good games because of their inclusion of a broke ass multiplayer that simply did nothing but take resources away from the main game. Condemned 2 is an example that comes to mind.

Assassin's Creed III is another example of this. Ubisoft has felt pressure from idiotic fanboys to create some kind of retarded multiplayer.

I hope Bioware never concentrates their efforts on anything multiplayer unless it's an MMORPG.

Man... the first time I go and say I'd actually WANT a co op or even a co op online game and I get flamed. figures. I guess I should've blindly bought the game and risked it sucking than actually asking others before getting it. MY BAD.

for the record if you'd search this site you'd find that I don't even like going online to play games unless it's with my friend. Second, most of the games that I like ARE single player...

[quote name='VipFREAK']
for the record if you'd search this site you'd find that I don't even like going online to play games unless it's with my friend. Second, most of the games that I like ARE single player...[/QUOTE]

This doesn't add up with this

Also, wtf... single player only? FAIL...
Sorry we don't know your CAG portfolio well enough.

I'll make it easy... Go see my played games on my gamertag... RSV2 or FM3 are the only main games I LIKE that I'll do online. If there are any others on my gamertag it's probably because I was with my friend playing or playing online with my friend. I don't even like MW2 but I'll get labelled a troll for saying that...

[quote name='cgarb84']Sorry we don't know your CAG portfolio well enough.[/QUOTE]

It was a blind comment apparently, forgot to not act like a typical mindless gamer... It's actually my friend that would want co op more than I do, but... there are other games like GoW that have co op and don't have issues granted yes... they aren't the same game then generally are set up the same way... I don't know ME at all so I have no clue what the backround of the game is like. Still no excuse for me... apparently.

The reason people reacted that way to your comment is because Mass Effect is about as single player as a game can get. Multiplayer would be a terrible idea.

Actually I reacted to his comment due to the way he used the word FAIL.

It was cute, and very amusing.

Ah well, at least VipFREAK is going to be someone that will most likely buy Mass Effect 1 and 2 so good on you sir.

I just think people are very reactionary about this issue, because it seems like EVERY game needs multiplayer now or else folks complain. I remember people were seriously bitching that Batman Arkham Asylum didn't have multiplayer.

Two games that don't need multiplayer, Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3, online interactivity (aka shop or missions dependent on your friend's actions are good though)!

I wouldn't mind a Co-op campaign since you're always with 2 people in your squad anyways. but a team vs team DM multiplayer would be lame.

The wait for January 26th really has people on edge :)

To add to the discussion:
Although there are moments where I wish I had a competent squadmate (another human player, perhaps), I realize that this would ruin the beauty of the game and that it will never happen. It's hard to understand that from an outside view - for someone who hasn't played the game. It may just seem like another squad-based game to others, which could lead to questions concerning cooperative play or online multiplayer. There's no harm in those types of questions and it doesn't really imply anything about the person asking it; those features are actually somewhat expected in today's games. Once someone experiences the game, however, you don't get those types of questions from them anymore. Why? I think because most people who've played through Mass Effect get the whole idea that it's your story and your decisions and, ultimately, your consequences. It's not something that can really be shared with another person or player.

I can pretty much guarantee that they will never implement Co-Op or MP in Mass Effect 3, BUT after the trilogy is over I could see them using the Mass Effect universe to make a Co-Op/MP style game. Hell, Star Wars (yeah, I just compared ME to SW) started off as just a trilogy, too. Look how many types of games stem from that universe.

-----------------------------------------------------------

That poll almost has me feeling sorry for the Engineer class. I figured that maybe the Combat Drone addition to that class' arsenal would help it go up in popularity...obviously not :lol:

[quote name='metaly']I heard Ubisoft has top men working on putting multiplayer into Mass Effect 3 right now.[/QUOTE]

Unless Rade Jaymond is working on it I am not interested.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']That poll almost has me feeling sorry for the Engineer class. I figured that maybe the Combat Drone addition to that class' arsenal would help it go up in popularity...obviously not :lol:[/QUOTE]

I think that class is cool, but when compared to adept and vanguard...game over. I feel that way any class other than those two though.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The wait for January 26th really has people on edge :)

That poll almost has me feeling sorry for the Engineer class. I figured that maybe the Combat Drone addition to that class' arsenal would help it go up in popularity...obviously not :lol:[/QUOTE]

Engineer is what I'll try on my second playthrough, but as has been said already my ME1 Shep is a kick-ass Adept. Too bad only the Soldier can use Assault Rifles, and that skill can't carry over :bomb:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The wait for January 26th really has people on edge :)

To add to the discussion:
Although there are moments where I wish I had a competent squadmate (another human player, perhaps), I realize that this would ruin the beauty of the game and that it will never happen[/QUOTE]

Really if done right it could work. I'm thinking of how Guild Wars did it, having an instance method would allow the player to keep the single player feel while maybe seeing multiple "Specters" at outposts or on the Citadel/etc.
Or you could do something like Demon's Souls, allow the player to see other player's actions before death or reveal a message that hinted about the environment they're experiencing at that time (like don't trust that merchant because he'll just backstab you anyway).

bread's done
Back