Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']damn... wonder what the alliance has against shepherd... maybe they are teh ones who destroyed the normandy.[/QUOTE]

You never see them attacking the protagonist (if it is indeed Shepard).

Does anyone else think Humans are totally lame in this game?

First playthrough, Wrex and Garrus
Second time, Liari and Tali (Used Garrus until I got Liari)

I really wish I could play as a Krogan :(

I really hope the usual Unreal engine bugs don't pop up again like slow-loading textures. It really took me out of the game sometimes to have a close-up conversation going and then when I'm almost done the texture pops in and I can finally see who I'm talking to.

[quote name='Flak']I really hope the usual Unreal engine bugs don't pop up again like slow-loading textures. It really took me out of the game sometimes to have a close-up conversation going and then when I'm almost done the texture pops in and I can finally see who I'm talking to.[/QUOTE]

They said they've addressed the pop-in and loading issues. Fixing the problems of the first game were there top priorities.

[quote name='Anexanhume']They said they've addressed the pop-in and loading issues. Fixing the problems of the first game were there top priorities.[/QUOTE]

Yea I thought after installing the game to the hdd it would help it but it really didn't. Bump maps/texture maps are cool but without them the experience is a game and you realize it then. The nice thing about mapping is that it allows for high detail while the poly limit isn't reached.

Just got the latest issue of the official Xbox magazine w/ ME2 on the cover. There is about 5 or 6 pages of content, with new details. I haven't read it through yet, but it looks like there is a new character called Thane (new alien species) that may join your crew. They also say that the Geth from the teaser is a specific character, not a generic Geth, and that he factors into the story.

Also something about the teaser trailer being playable (???) at E3 along with details on the new loading system (bye bye elevators?).

I'll post more after I read through it.

Okay, here goes....info from OXM:

- You WILL play as Shepard, but for how long we don't know
- There is a new species called the Drell and Thane is a new character who is an assassin and may join your party
- Planets - There will be a Krogan planet, and Illium, an Asari planet, that is like Coruscant from SW. Also there is "Omega" with is like an anti-Citadel in that it's huge and it's the bottom of the barrel whereas the Citadel is the height of civilization. Also a Cerebus mothership will act as a location of significance.
- Story - The ultimate story is still civilization fending off the Reapers, but this chapter will deal with this Cerebus corporation and it's enigmatic leader. There are human civilizations disapearing and it's up to Shepard to investigate, it's termed as a "suicide mission" which may lead to the details of the teaser.
- New vehicle that controls better than the Mako...a "new" control scheme....motion control maybe?
- Totally revamped inventory system!
- Elevator system revamped where you will get the sense of scope of where you're at and where you're travelling.
- NO MORE TEXTURE POP IN!
- Secondary races like Volus and Elcor are much more mobile, giving more depth and makes things more interesting.
- Choices are more meaningful and there is a real risk that major support characters (i.e. anyone not Shepard) can and will die.
- Also on the story, they're super-hyping the ending, saying that it's much more grand meaningful in ME2. ME1 had one of the most impacting endings ever, how the hell are they gonna pull this off?
- More weapons, more species, more/new team members.
- returning team members, locations, weapons.

All in all, an excellent article. I tried to capture the most important news. It's really a giant tease for E3.

Oh, and they say there will be one more DLC for ME1, which should be announced soon!

Nothing about no more copy pasta side planets? I really hope they don't do that again, even if the new vehicle handles better than the Mako.

They did say that planet exploration would be more involved, not just cursory scans with non-important info. Plus, the planets you can land on will be more varied.

Regarding the second DLC for ME1, I took away from it that it would be a sort of link between ME1 and ME2, but they didn't say anything specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they fix all the things that were annoying or bad design in the first game this is going to be one hell of a game for sure. I can't wait, thanks for the summary as I don't want to know all the specifics so I skipped the link. I'm also a OXM subscriber and like the first one I didn't read anything or the review until I played the game which made a huuge difference.

Ok so I'm officially excited for Mass Effect 2, because this trailer is B.A. I never finished the first one, but I'm going to pick it up again this weekend after watching this.

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49799.html[/media]

[quote name='ananag112']I wonder if Ashley or Kaiden will play a role in this game. I haven't seen them in the trailers thus far.[/QUOTE]
It'll probably depend upon some of the decisions you made in Mass Effect 1. If you've finished the game, you know what part I'm talking about.

Anyway, I cannot freaking wait for this game, especially with the knowledge that you WILL be playing as Shepard. I wasn't looking forward to a new main character, to be honest.

We messed around with the trailer today at work, and I think it came out pretty well...plus I'm in it. Check it out:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rzjb-gm2qw[/media]

[quote name='YodaEXE']It'll probably depend upon some of the decisions you made in Mass Effect 1. If you've finished the game, you know what part I'm talking about.

Anyway, I cannot freaking wait for this game, especially with the knowledge that you WILL be playing as Shepard. I wasn't looking forward to a new main character, to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but I don't think they will play a big role in the game. Maybe Wrex will not either which sucks. I think they will just be in side missions and will not be a part of the main story.

[quote name='ananag112']Perhaps, but I don't think they will play a big role in the game. Maybe Wrex will not either which sucks. I think they will just be in side missions and will not be a part of the main story.[/QUOTE]

You can't really have those 3 playing big roles in the main missions for obvious reasons. The other characters from ME1 wouldn't be a problem, though.

They could play big roles.

Just have one big role for either Kaiden or Ashley. Depending on which one you rescued, that will be the one in the role. As for Wrex, well too bad for him lol.

I've been trying to think about how they would program ME2 to have characters from the last one all depending on the player's save. Sounds like a lot of work since you would have to do a lot of permutations.

I'm posting this because it ties the link between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 but I don't have a iPhone. Looks like a good game though.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/31/mass-effect-iphone-becomes-mass-effect-galaxy-ties-in-to-mass/
1969-12-31_18-59-59-5.jpg

It's bioware, they'll probably do it in different ways, especially since ME1 was such a huge success, they can afford to do what's needed, and really, the game doesn't change all that much between Paragon and Renegade, 1-2 characters die in the party, a few NPCs disapear, but in the end the plot goes the same way.

That's not a bad thing, it's more a strength that the game isn't just good or evil, but rather two methods to get to the same result of trying to save the galaxy.

YAY: Amazon preorder + gold box + ECA = $48.44 shipped!

(though if they make a limited edition like last time I'll have to get that instead)

I'm super happy that they didn't kill off Shepard. I was dreading the fact of playing as a totally new character.

We'll get the full trailer that lobster posted (they purposefully truncated off the second half to have something more to show at E3) this afternoon during the EA press conference. Demo footage should start rolling in soon as well.

Ugh. I'm so tempted to buy an iPhone just to play that game. Extremely looking forward to demo footage. I love ME more than... well...I'm not quite sure what it out trumps yet but I'll keep you wonderful people posted. =P

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Dammit, I missed this part of the EA conference. Someone give me a recap of things they announced? Pretty please?[/QUOTE]

Nothing for the game, just that trailer. Head on over to the bioware website to see the new ME2 website.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Dammit, I missed this part of the EA conference. Someone give me a recap of things they announced? Pretty please?[/QUOTE]

Well they started off with Dante's Inferno, then showed Littlest Pet something, Need For Speed Shift, EA Sports stuff (Tiger Woods broswer game!), ATB, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic but I probably missed a few so watch the recap:
http://g4tv.com/e32009/pressconference/ea/18/

Not much of a spoiler considering that scene has been featured in the trailers not to mention most of the information we have now, but yeah. Read on at your own risk. Thanks for the link Spy.

Im glad its not coming out until 2010, gives me a few more months to actually finish the first one.

[quote name='KingBroly']ListenUp for today basically spoils the ending for Mass Effect 2.[/QUOTE]
No they didn't. EA did. I went to the Mass Effect 2 screening with no notion of what was to be shown and they showed the ending of the game.
The Normandy blows up and Shepard dies

I was super fucking pissed when they showed it. BUT, the game looks friggen incredible - best looking game ever. Oh and Dantes Inferno was surprisingly insanely good looking as well, I think it looks tons better then God of War 3.

Are you guys sure that's the end? I think it's the begining.

Thus, the trailers of Shepard "KIA", and everyone acting like..."Shepard, I thought you were dead?!"

I don't think they're going to spoil the game like that, but they did say he could die, so it's possible at the very end or maybe anytime during the game you can die and be dead.

I got home from work today and wanted to play the first one. So I did but after 4 hours of my time I ended up having to delete the save file. The world that the miners are on I take it is a boss world. I remember when I first got Mass Effect I got on that world and at the end was getting killed in one hit. It would be nice if you could go back to the ship but no I press X and it does nothing. So now I'm not even sure I want to play 2. I want to beat the first one but don't know if I want to play all that again for the third time

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Are you guys sure that's the end? I think it's the begining.

Thus, the trailers of Shepard "KIA", and everyone acting like..."Shepard, I thought you were dead?!"

I don't think they're going to spoil the game like that, but they did say he could die, so it's possible at the very end or maybe anytime during the game you can die and be dead.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I sat through the Mass Effect demo twice (around 20 minutes long) and I can confirm it is one of the endings.
He said that Shepard dieing is based on the strength of the team you put together (not on your Renegade/Paragon choices). You can kill the attacking creatures and after the credits, go back and play the parts you missed or visits other planets ect.

Actually, since I've been without a computer for a few days I haven't been able to read peoples conspiracy theories. And Kotaku's could be true (that it is the beginning), if that is the case then the guy that gives the demonstration is just pulling everyone's leg. That would make a lot of sense though, because Joker says, "an unknown alien life form is attacking" and it seems like that is a good starting point and a motive for Shepard to find out what the life form was. That would be very relieving if that is true.

bread's done
Back