Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

I'm enjoying the thread! It's a fascinating read. Personally, I think I'll be able to get into any story Bioware comes up with. That doesn't mean I'll like all of the characters they invent (ie. Subject Zero), but that's probably okay because I can just leave her on my ship if I don't enjoy her company.

But I do think that the music that played during the Subject Zero video lends it a certain attitude that might not be present when we're playing the game to Mass Effect's sci-fi soundtrack. So she might fit in better than we think. It's not like when she joins the party they're going to play this punk music or something.

I've converted my Amazon Visa card points into gift cards ($25 x 3) to be used for Mass Effect 2 CE whenever it becomes available. I check Amazon.com every day, but so far, nothing. Oh well, it's still 4 months away, and I'm pretty sure they didn't announce the CE for Dragon Age: Origins any earlier than that. It'll come!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait until January. I'm glad there is so much to look forward to that month because it's often the most depressing month of the year :roll:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']fuck... alot of shit i want in january... the preorder costumes are sweet though.[/QUOTE]

Ditto and check this out, preorder Inferno Armor:
Mass-Effect-2-Vs-Iron-Man.jpg
Mass-Effect-2-Vs-Iron-Man.jpg

Haha but still pretty sweet

[quote name='sendme']where do you get that preorder armor? the one on gamestop looks different.[/QUOTE]

the EA Store

I don't want to preorder from either of those though lol.

so ea store has one set of armor and gamestop has another set and a gun. I'm really starting to hate preorder bonuses like this. I wonder how long in game till you get better gear.

Guess who's back?

This game is just... ugh. So. Damn. Gorgeous. It is a great day to be a ME fanboy.

Oh, and the CE is includes the following though no word as to weapon or armor specifics:

- BETTER fuckING COVER ART FOR ONE (>_>)
- Tin case
- Issue 1 of the new ME comic
- 48-page "Art of Mass Effect" Art Book
- Behind the scenes DVD
- New exclusive armor and weapons (neither of the preorder ones to my knowledge)

I couldn't find any info on that Amazon page so correct me if I'm wrong. Not a bad haul for only $10 more. What really astounds me though is the devs ability to release a video that seems to appeases most of their naysayers on their own forums. The only problem is now they're bitching about having to pick up ammo in a damn shooter RPG. LOL. They are without a doubt utterly hopeless, haha. I have no doubt they'll be a reasonable explanation for ammo pick ups via codex. Sheesh. >_>'

MUST HAVE GAME IS MUST HAVE KTHX.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Guess who's back?

This game is just... ugh. So. Damn. Gorgeous. It is a great day to be a ME fanboy.

Oh, and the CE is includes the following though no word as to weapon or armor specifics:

- BETTER fuckING COVER ART FOR ONE (>_>)
- Tin case
- Issue 1 of the new ME comic
- 48-page "Art of Mass Effect" Art Book
- Behind the scenes DVD
- New exclusive armor and weapons (neither of the preorder ones to my knowledge)

I couldn't find any info on that Amazon page so correct me if I'm wrong. Not a bad haul for only $10 more. What really astounds me though is the devs ability to release a video that seems to appeases most of their naysayers on their own forums. The only problem is now they're bitching about having to pick up ammo in a damn shooter RPG. LOL. They are without a doubt utterly hopeless, haha. I have no doubt they'll be a reasonable explanation for ammo pick ups via codex. Sheesh. >_>'

MUST HAVE GAME IS MUST HAVE KTHX.[/QUOTE]

Plus there's one item Jarrett Lee says they can't talk about yet due to legal reasons. When he sincerely asked what else could be thrown in there to make us happy, I suggested future DLC discount/codes. He said what's included is something I'd like even more. We're still waiting on stats for this new armor too.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14235013/mass-effect-2/videos/masseffect2_garrus_gmp_110409.html
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14235013/mass-effect-2/videos/masseffect2_vdp_110409.html
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...videos/masseffect2_omegafight_gmp_110409.html

New content coming on GTTV plus new video coming soon which will explain CE armor (amongst other things).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE82DKgGJC0

I certainly wouldn't mind a surprise especially if it is better than or on par with a DLC discount. Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know if the armor shot on the Amazon page is legit? My Photoshop sense is tingling but if it is indeed a sneak peek of things to come then I'll be wearing one hell of a dumb grin on my face for the rest of the day.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I certainly wouldn't mind a surprise especially if it is better than or on par with a DLC discount. Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know if the armor shot on the Amazon page is legit? My Photoshop sense is tingling but if it is indeed a sneak peek of things to come then I'll be wearing one hell of a dumb grin on my face for the rest of the day.[/QUOTE]

It's completely legit. They just don't have an in-game render of it yet. Speculation is that since it is collector inspired, the weapon will be some type of beam weapon. There's also going to be a cerberus network card in the CE. That may have something to do with the part of the CE they can't talk about yet.

[quote name='Anexanhume']It's completely legit. They just don't have an in-game render of it yet. Speculation is that since it is collector inspired, the weapon will be some type of beam weapon. There's also going to be a cerberus network card in the CE. That may have something to do with the part of the CE they can't talk about yet.[/QUOTE]

What in the hell is a cerberus network card? What are are you talking about?

[quote name='thrustbucket']What in the hell is a cerberus network card? What are are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

Cerberus is a rogue human military organization bent on making humans the dominant species in the galaxy. They are very important in ME2, and have a big part in the second ME novel. It's likely some DLC card that is fashioned to look like it has a place in the game universe.

edit: If you plan on pre-ordering the CE from Amazon, I suggest you do it NOW. Upping the quantity to 600 in my cart causes an error, which means they have less than 600 to give out. That doesn't mean they won't be allocated more, but it does mean you should pre-order if you can. It's free, so there's no harm done.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Cerberus is a rogue human military organization bent on making humans the dominant species in the galaxy. They are very important in ME2, and have a big part in the second ME novel. It's likely some DLC card that is fashioned to look like it has a place in the game universe.

edit: If you plan on pre-ordering the CE from Amazon, I suggest you do it NOW. Upping the quantity to 600 in my cart causes an error, which means they have less than 600 to give out. That doesn't mean they won't be allocated more, but it does mean you should pre-order if you can. It's free, so there's no harm done.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the warning. Got my 360 copy of the CE pre-ordered. I cannot wait for this game. Although it's going to destroy the start of my Spring semester, as it comes out about 2 weeks after the semester starts :D

[quote name='Anexanhume']

edit: If you plan on pre-ordering the CE from Amazon, I suggest you do it NOW. Upping the quantity to 600 in my cart causes an error, which means they have less than 600 to give out. That doesn't mean they won't be allocated more, but it does mean you should pre-order if you can. It's free, so there's no harm done.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I preordered a 360 CE copy. I got this since I have the ME1 CE and my save is on the 360. I generally prefer getting games for the PC, since you don't get mods for games on consoles.

I preordered from Amazon, just to be safe. I'm going to stop by my local gamestop to preorder there, though. I like that exclusive armor better than the Amazon one.

Man I usually don't go out and watch gameplay videos of an upcoming game since I don't want to spoil anything and experience everything in the game but man that ME2 video was kick ass. Kotaku also had a video of the enemies of ME2 and that was killer as well.

Added new videos to the OP just now. However, there have been a few new videos coming out that have begun diving further into the story than some people may want to know about (such as non-party characters, etc.), so they will be excluded from the OP and can be posted under spoiler tags.

New video showcasing the
Illusive Man:
[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/player/58990.html[/media]

They had a few rumors debunked with the latest OXM issue (Holiday 2009) but other than that I will not read anything about the game from them since they don't know the meaning of spoiling spoilers.

Damn... the armor is what's really convincing me, always a sucker for armor.

Is this going to fit on 1 disc or will it be multiples?

Armor and a gun from gamestop and just armor from amazon but no tax and free shipping. The gun looks nice but i'm not sure if I want to spend the extra money on the game. Is their any promo codes to use on gamestop.com to get cheaper shipping?

EDIT: Now that I look at it amazon does not list the bonus for preordering with the LE so I wonder if you still get it with the LE from amazon or not.

Final box-art revealed for the regular edition of the game:
me2_final_box_art.jpg

I think it's better than the first announced cover, but it's still no Collector's Edition. I am glad, though, that they decided to showcase my planned squad for my first ME2 playthrough :cool:

I think I preferred the other box art. That one at least had some color and a dynamic composition. This one looks like a TV show cast photo or something, with a coat of next-gen brown/orange.

Of course I already preordered my CE so I'll just forget this exists.

I am getting ready to play the 1st game and I have a question. Can I create my own guy or should I use the premade Shepard character? Because from what I gather from the shots of the new game it's the Shepard character in the 2nd. So for the sake of the storyline I would rather carry over a character from one game to the next.

You should absolutely create your own Shepard. Using your custom character throughout the game is half the fun. I'm sure the design will carry over as well; it's not like they'll suddenly force everyone to be the Generic Space Marine #29031 version.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']@ New box-art.
Who's the MILF?

I'm just going to make my Shepard look like the one on the box-art.[/QUOTE]The woman on the box is an announced member of your party named Miranda Lawson.

[quote name='js1']I am getting ready to play the 1st game and I have a question. Can I create my own guy or should I use the premade Shepard character? Because from what I gather from the shots of the new game it's the Shepard character in the 2nd. So for the sake of the storyline I would rather carry over a character from one game to the next.[/QUOTE]Are you talking about aesthetics, such as changing his appearance? Bioware always shows the "generic" Shepard in released videos and art. I'm pretty sure that whatever look you give your Mass Effect 1 Shepard will transfer over.

I personally use the default Shepard, because it looked better than the options I saw in ME1.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Final box-art revealed for the regular edition of the game:
me2_final_box_art.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's....rather terrible, actually. Especially when contrasted with the CE and ME1 box art.

Are you talking about aesthetics, such as changing his appearance? Bioware always shows the "generic" Shepard in released videos and art. I'm pretty sure that whatever look you give your Mass Effect 1 Shepard will transfer over.

I personally use the default Shepard, because it looked better than the options I saw in ME1.

You should absolutely create your own Shepard. Using your custom character throughout the game is half the fun. I'm sure the design will carry over as well; it's not like they'll suddenly force everyone to be the Generic Space Marine #29031 version.

Thanks guys. I just was not sure how creating your character worked.

didn't see this posted but the armor and gun in the CE is
media
. If it was posted alread sorry but atleast the armor is all different looking now. Looks like the same can be said for the guns also.

I just read that some/none of the squad you have in ME will be playable in 2, all stats are reset and all armor, weapons and other things are all going to be reset. So from the sounds of things taking the save from one over to 2 is pointless. is this all true? I read it on http://www.xbox360achievements.org/.

[quote name='sendme']didn't see this posted but the armor and gun in the CE is
media
. If it was posted alread sorry but atleast the armor is all different looking now. Looks like the same can be said for the guns also.

I just read that some/none of the squad you have in ME will be playable in 2, all stats are reset and all armor, weapons and other things are all going to be reset. So from the sounds of things taking the save from one over to 2 is pointless. is this all true? I read it on http://www.xbox360achievements.org/.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about this. We've seen Garrus in the latest videos. I've also seen the Quarren chick in some pics. Don't expect to see Wrex, Kaiden, Liana or Ashley in your squad. Two reasons. 1) How can they let you keep a continuity if you killed off Wrex, for example. Anyone that could have died in ME1 may be a non-squad periphery character at best. 2) they've said that they want your love story to carry through the entire trilogy. Since ME2 is a suicide mission and, literally, anything and everything is up for grabs story-wise, theres a likelihood that your romantic interest would be killed off during the mission.

The important aspect of transferring your ME1 character over to ME2 is the idea that your decisions have lasting effects throughout the galaxy. I don't think the developers ever intended people to think that they'd start ME2 out with full stats at lvl 60 and Master Spectre Gear.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The important aspect of transferring your ME1 character over to ME2 is the idea that your decisions have lasting effects throughout the galaxy. I don't think the developers ever intended people to think that they'd start ME2 out with full stats at lvl 60 and Master Spectre Gear.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. And it's not like restarting at a low level in the sequel is somehow atypical or even unexpected, for that matter.

bread's done
Back