Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

Goddamn! It seems like with each passing day Mass Effect 2 sounds better and better!

Thoughts on two new videos:
Holy shit! I may have to give the Adept class a spin for ME2. I felt like they were a bit too weak for my taste in the first game, but these new powers definitely prove the idea of "controlling the battlefield".

Tali was my favorite squadmate from ME1 (or possibly tied with Garrus) and, even though it had been realized that she was going to be a party member in ME2, I'm glad they made her a video to showcase some of the fallout from ME1. Is it just me, or were there hints of a romantic encounter with Tali at some point in her video? :cool:

I will check out the videos later. However now I have a question about the first one and don't really want to bring back the thread for it. I'm trying to start a game with hardcore setting to get the achievment. The only thing is every time I start from my last save it puts me at that setting. I want to start it at 60 with all my current gear. The only thing is I have read that I have to start with hardcore and not on another setting to get the achievment only I have yet to be able to start at hardcore. has anyone else had this issue and what was done to fix it. Also when I start a career from my last one I have all my others listed. Is their a way to just have the last one listed?

[quote name='sendme']I will check out the videos later. However now I have a question about the first one and don't really want to bring back the thread for it. I'm trying to start a game with hardcore setting to get the achievment. The only thing is every time I start from my last save it puts me at that setting. I want to start it at 60 with all my current gear. The only thing is I have read that I have to start with hardcore and not on another setting to get the achievment only I have yet to be able to start at hardcore. has anyone else had this issue and what was done to fix it. Also when I start a career from my last one I have all my others listed. Is their a way to just have the last one listed?[/QUOTE]

For the Hardcore question, I think you have until the end of the Eden Prime mission to change the setting, so it's not a problem if it starts you on the wrong one. Just don't change it after you leave the planet and you should get the achievement.

Well that is good to know. I didn't want to put the time into it to beat it and find out their was no point because I didn't get credit for it.

EDIT: ok what did tali do that was treason? Atleast at the end of that video it said she was convicted of it.

[quote name='sendme']
EDIT: ok what did tali do that was treason? Atleast at the end of that video it said she was convicted of it.[/QUOTE]
Who knows what she did? Maybe it's something as simple as sticking around with Shepard too long, when she should've returned to the Migrant Fleet; or maybe she does something between the first and second games that gets revealed to us. Notice that her name was changed to Tali'Zorah vas Normandy after her exile - meaning that she's pretty much with Shepard and the Normandy to the end.

I wonder what the announcement will be. Just have today and tomorrow and I don't see anything being said today.

[quote name='sendme']I wonder what the announcement will be. Just have today and tomorrow and I don't see anything being said today.[/QUOTE]The original announcement mentioned a surprise coming to the Mass Effect website this week. Last night/today they revamped the website, which I'm guessing is the surprise. Not quite what I was expecting, but at least we got a Tali vid out of it :cool:

I wanted to like Tali more, but I couldn't get over the fact that the Quarian backstory is basically the plot of Battlestar Galactica.

I never gave it a thought but it is. However no one in BSG had to leave and were only able to come back if they had something their people could use.

[quote name='sendme']I never gave it a thought but it is. However no one in BSG had to leave and were only able to come back if they had something their people could use.[/QUOTE]

They didn't wear enviro-suits either, but that doesn't make it any easier to look at the Geth without thinking "The Cylons were created by man."

Back to the point, I also didn't use Tali because her abilities were redundant with Shepard as an Infiltrator. I'm hoping the squadmates in ME2 are differentiated from each other and the PC by more than a class bonus.

Man I really recommend people read Mass Effect Ascension now since it deals with the Quarian culture and biotic academies. Don't worry it doesn't spoil anything, just a side story.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Man I really recommend people read Mass Effect Ascension now since it deals with the Quarian culture and biotic academies. Don't worry it doesn't spoil anything, just a side story.[/QUOTE]

I heard that book was pretty rough...decent enough side story, but rather bland as a tale if you weren't super hardcore into mass effect. But, you're saying it's a good read?

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I heard that book was pretty rough...decent enough side story, but rather bland as a tale if you weren't super hardcore into mass effect. But, you're saying it's a good read?[/QUOTE]
I thought it was a good read. It wasn't great literature, but it was a good book. Especially because of the look into Quarian culture.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I heard that book was pretty rough...decent enough side story, but rather bland as a tale if you weren't super hardcore into mass effect. But, you're saying it's a good read?[/QUOTE]

It's written by the same guy who wrote for the game so yes I'd say its a good read esp yes if you want to know a bit more about Quarian culture like Rei said.

Mostly just interested in the Rachni, Council, Bring Down The Sky DLC, the state of my relationship with my love interest and a few side quests here. Mainly the artifacts, Cerberus, background specific quest and minerals. Also if there is indeed an option to bag Tali this time around then I'm probably going to have three different "canon" Shepard saves for ME 3, heh.

January is going to be the longest month in history of my life. ;\

Yet another new character reveal trailer is up at the UK Gamespot site.

I wouldn't have expected another Asari biotic to be able to join your party - but it makes sense knowing that Liara may not be recruitable (based on romance decisions). Samara seems like she'd be a real bad-ass to use in your party, plus she has that whole "your wish is my command" personality that I like having amongst a variety of characters.

Anyone else catch a glimpse of Liara's voice towards the end?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Yet another new character reveal trailer is up at the UK Gamespot site.

I wouldn't have expected another Asari biotic to be able to join your party - but it makes sense knowing that Liara may not be recruitable (based on romance decisions). Samara seems like she'd be a real bad-ass to use in your party, plus she has that whole "your wish is my command" personality that I like having amongst a variety of characters.

Anyone else catch a glimpse of Liara's voice towards the end?
[/QUOTE]

There appeared to be a struggle between Samara and another Asari. Maybe that's part of the reason Liara goes solo for Shepard, as we see in the comics.

So, I now I'm late to the party, but after seeing the Samara vid I went back and checked up on the Subject Zero video and man.. She is definitely going to be my new favorite party member.

Anyone know if we'll be able to have a Turian in our party? I love Turians.

It would make sense that Garrus will be the one of the last announced party members, with the lack of a Turian party member and the fact that so far the party lineup is heavily biotic (5:3 is the official count, I believe).

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']It would make sense that Garrus will be the one of the last announced party members, with the lack of a Turian party member and the fact that so far the party lineup is heavily biotic (5:3 is the official count, I believe).[/QUOTE]
That's what I was thinking of. I saw that video and my heart was like WOOO!!! Want him in the game as a party member.

I wasn't too into the Biotics in the first game, but I'll definitely try out that Convict Biotic chick with the tats.

As for the multiple discs, I'm a-okay for having to swap discs/install the game. I just hope this means this game is even amazingly longer.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']That's what I was thinking of. I saw that video and my heart was like WOOO!!! Want him in the game as a party member.

I wasn't too into the Biotics in the first game, but I'll definitely try out that Convict Biotic chick with the tats.

As for the multiple discs, I'm a-okay for having to swap discs/install the game. I just hope this means this game is even amazingly longer.[/QUOTE]

As long as they don't make achievements that require multiple play throughs, I'm all for making it longer! I really hated how the last game required 3 playthroughs to get the full gamerscore

[quote name='DarkRider23']As long as they don't make achievements that require multiple play throughs, I'm all for making it longer! I really hated how the last game required 3 playthroughs to get the full gamerscore[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure about that.. The gamerscore in the first game was part of what made me want to go back through it the second and third times, even though I totally didn't get all the points. This will most likely be the same.. I'll probably have 2-4 playthroughs. 3 or so with my original Shepherd and 1 with my girl Shepherd.

Does anyone else have the most fun in the game just maxing out your Charisma and Intimidate? That was the first thing I did.

I couldn't agree more with Joel. I doubt I would have grown to appreciate nor recognize ME as the first game to ever provide a universe with enough depth and personality for me to fully immerse myself had I not bothered achievement hunting. I'm just about finished with my sixth and plan to work on a seventh and final playthrough before the sequel's release. It was the storyline and universe that kept me playing and certainly not the lackluster gameplay hence my distaste for the ignorant blanketed statement against FPS fans and disgusting elitism running rampant on Bioware forums.

If it weren't for the existence of Final Fantasy Tactics this game would easily take its place as the greatest RPG I've ever played. LOL Btw I must say it is refreshing to finally see your inner fanboy going full throttle, X. Where did you find that 8-bit Thane picture? I've been jealous for weeks now. ;(

P.S. - Is anyone else looking forward to customizing their armor as much as I am? I know I plan to go for a Strider Hiryu color scheme for my Shepard.

New video for the Engineer class is up at IGN. Another exciting class reveal!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I couldn't agree more with Joel. I doubt I would have grown to appreciate nor recognize ME as the first game to ever provide a universe with enough depth and personality for me to fully immerse myself had I not bothered achievement hunting. I'm just about finished with my sixth and plan to work on a seventh and final playthrough before the sequel's release.[/QUOTE]My different playthroughs initially began out of curiosity (I'm not the type to save before a conversation/event to be able to do the Paragon and Renegade options before moving on), but then grew into achievement hoarding. I may have went a little overboard with this, but I have three different character files that I am shaping up before ME2 hits (Paragon Vanguard, Renegade Soldier, Neutral Infiltrator) :cool:

It was the storyline and universe that kept me playing and certainly not the lackluster gameplay hence my distaste for the ignorant blanketed statement against FPS fans and disgusting elitism running rampant on Bioware forums.
I really only skim the Bioware forums for posts from the devs, as 90% of the posts are "Why don't we have ____?" or "I hate ____ because ____!" and the rest is wild speculation and assumptions.

If it weren't for the existence of Final Fantasy Tactics this game would easily take its place as the greatest RPG I've ever played. LOL Btw I must say it is refreshing to finally see your inner fanboy going full throttle, X. Where did you find that 8-bit Thane picture? I've been jealous for weeks now. ;(
My struggle for naming bests is between the KotOR series and Mass Effect. My fanboyism for ME2 is continuously growing with the release of any new bit of information regarding the game or the new party members, and there's no point in trying to hide it :cool:. I believe I got the Thane picture from a Google Image search or possibly from deviantART.

P.S. - Is anyone else looking forward to customizing their armor as much as I am? I know I plan to go for a Strider Hiryu color scheme for my Shepard.
The announcement of being able to customize Shepard's armor has been one of my favorite so far. There were plenty of times (at least before getting the Spectre gear) where I wouldn't wear a specific armor because I thought it was ugly, so being able to customize things like that will help me get over any aesthetic issues that may arise.

[quote name='DarkRider23']As long as they don't make achievements that require multiple play throughs, I'm all for making it longer! I really hated how the last game required 3 playthroughs to get the full gamerscore[/QUOTE]

See yea I liked playing through the game multiple times and it wasn't just for the gamerscore, I got a cool looking emblem on the achievements list in the game as well as perks in game too like the shock trooper boost. 2 Discs is great news.

Indeed it is great news. I can't logically understand why anyone would have a problem with switching disc aside from chronic laziness or being an install hound. It only takes a few seconds if even that plus it should bring back fond memories of 90s gaming e.g. playing FF7 in middle school for me.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']My different playthroughs initially began out of curiosity (I'm not the type to save before a conversation/event to be able to do the Paragon and Renegade options before moving on), but then grew into achievement hoarding. I may have went a little overboard with this, but I have three different character files that I am shaping up before ME2 hits (Paragon Vanguard, Renegade Soldier, Neutral Infiltrator) :cool:[/QUOTE]

Overboard? My friend this is MASS EFFECT we're talking about here. There is no such thing as too many character profiles as those class types were meant to be explored and enjoyed thoroughly. I feel anyone would have done themselves an extreme disservice not giving each and every one of them a chance.

I really only skim the Bioware forums for posts from the devs, as 90% of the posts are "Why don't we have ____?" or "I hate ____ because ____!" and the rest is wild speculation and assumptions.

Amen... those forums are absolutely hopeless. They are only going to get worse after the sequel's release where Naysayers Vs. Loyalists Round 2: "I TOLD YOU SO!" begins. :bomb:

Ugh... but what can you expect from a place where quite a few people have already called Samara a hideous playboy playmate compared to Liara T'soni. God forbid a character with a slight African vibe oozing with a ridiculous amount of substance also have an attractive figure with a tastefully revealed chest rivaling Liara's mother. :roll:

Undoubtedly at this point I'm convinced they are all fucking morons as far as I'm concerned. I thank my lucky stars every day that I don't have to tolerate the likes of them in the work place. I would have put in my two weeks or gotten fired for giving them a piece of my mind ages ago.

My struggle for naming bests is between the KotOR series and Mass Effect. My fanboyism for ME2 is continuously growing with the release of any new bit of information regarding the game or the new party members, and there's no point in trying to hide it :cool:. I believe I got the Thane picture from a Google Image search or possibly from deviantART.

Funny you should mention KotOR as I just came back from the mall to purchase an online gift card to snag both of them online (I don't trust Paypal with my actual debit card). I've heard great things about it so I'm looking forward to tearing into them. Ugh... why didn't I think of Deviant Art? Hmm... I know I find a decent Tali pic but Samara might prove more difficult. Thanks.

The announcement of being able to customize Shepard's armor has been one of my favorite so far. There were plenty of times (at least before getting the Spectre gear) where I wouldn't wear a specific armor because I thought it was ugly, so being able to customize things like that will help me get over any aesthetic issues that may arise.

So true! I have lost count of how many occasions I've been forced to wear ugly ass or slightly emasculating armor for the best stats. I'm also looking forward to altering my canon Shep's appearance asap. The voice fits but my goodness is he "rough around the edges" so to speak. >_>

My last wish is that they allowed the user to save facial features or import them to a new character. I have a female renegade which I adore and would love to main but can't unless dedicate another playthrough to her. Something I might just do instead creating that final female I was thinking about.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
Funny you should mention KotOR as I just came back from the mall to purchase an online gift card to snag both of them online (I don't trust Paypal with my actual debit card). I've heard great things about it so I'm looking forward to tearing into them. Ugh... why didn't I think of Deviant Art? Hmm... I know I find a decent Tali pic but Samara might prove more difficult. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

I can't believe you haven't played KOTOR yet. ME is the only Bioware game I like more.

I'm sorry! I'm extremely LATE when it comes to the epicness that is Bioware games. If it weren't for ME I would have never known the company even existed. ;'(

Anyway... I guess I only have myself to blame here. I should have known there was some truth to the claims of awesomeness when assholes online are trying to sell mint copies of it for $2,000.

Anyone know if Bioware has confirmed that ME3 will be released soon w/o need for Natal support or XBOX 720ish?

I would hate it if it's broken up like Halo 1-2 on Xbox then the 3rd (finish the fight) on 360, u know?
I pray that Bioware won't require ME fans to buy extra accessories like Natal to finish this awesome epic series.

Just a quick thought, how would you feel if ME3 was pushed to the next next gen 360 or require Natal? Good/Bad? I'm sounding this concern early so that Bioware Devs would know of it. Message : "Please finish it on 360 and don't make the fans pay for Natal. Thx."

**Disclaimer: I'm a new ME1 fan since picking it up for less than $14 a month ago. Used to be a FF fan, but this blew me away. Gonna have to break my vow never to pay full price on a game for ME2. Picking ME2 up on launch.

Peace.

Why would you need Natal for playing ME3? I don't really see any reason to have it as you already have Shepherd's looks and such and it's more fun to have the character creation ability. And I've only heard of three or four games in development so far that fully use the Natal functionality.

Having the third game on the 720 I wouldn't personally mind as I know there will be more games set in the Universe and they won't be making games forever on the 360 hardware and the graphical update with putting it on a new console would be great. Things can only look better from here on out. I doubt the third game will be on the 360 but I also didn't think I'd be seeing ME2 come out until much later in the console cycle since work has been put towards the KotOR MMO.

After looking at a pick of the CE I really hope it is not like the last one or the one the first gears of war was in. I got lucky and gamestop sent me the preorder case with a disc in it for ME1 and I put the game in it.

[quote name='sendme']After looking at a pick of the CE I really hope it is not like the last one or the one the first gears of war was in. I got lucky and gamestop sent me the preorder case with a disc in it for ME1 and I put the game in it.[/QUOTE]

Same, I absolutely hate the big tin cases. I'm crossing my fingers that it's actually going to be like the Dragon Age Origins case which, though the 'knock-off' steelbook, is perfectly adequate. Given that they're both BioWare, I think there's a definite argument to be made there.

For someone like me with limited shelf space, I need smaller steelbooks. That big ME1 tin was just overly large for my taste, and my OCD was just never cool with having on the shelf with everything else. :lol:

[quote name='007']Not sure why anyone is saying that, as it's certainly still available from Amazon, at the very least: http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1260193179&sr=8-1

It even has Release Date Delivery for Prime users.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but I was looking more for Gamestop, though, I have a ton of credit to burn.

I may end up having to bite the bullet and get it off Amazon, though.. I just got back from GS and they said they shut down the preorders a week ago, I e-mailed the GS online store to see if they'll be taking down the CE or if I can go ahead and preorder it and actually be assured I'm getting it. If not then I'll probably just go pick up the DA:O CE they have at my GS.

I hope I can finish ME 1 before ME 2 comes out(LOVING it so far). I recently got a 360 and the 2 ME games were a HUGE reason why.

A bit late hopping on the ME2 train, but I just recently read the second ME Book and started watching the character reveals...Subject Zero sounds a lot like Gillian Grayson from the book.

[quote name='moojuice']Subject Zero sounds a lot like Gillian Grayson from the book.[/QUOTE]For me, it's about half and half. The power that Subject Zero seems to have seems to match up quite nicely with Gillian's, at least from the small clips we were shown. I can't imagine Gillian ever running around with gangs or having this hardcore bitch persona, though, which makes me believe it's a different girl altogether. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see any main character of the two books find their way into ME2. If Subject Zero does somehow turn out to be Gillian, then that could open the doors to a few interesting sidequests for ME2: searching for Kahlee Sanders, a confrontation with Paul Grayson, etc.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']For me, it's about half and half. The power that Subject Zero seems to have seems to match up quite nicely with Gillian's, at least from the small clips we were shown. I can't imagine Gillian ever running around with gangs or having this hardcore bitch persona, though, which makes me believe it's a different girl altogether. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see any main character of the two books find their way into ME2. If Subject Zero does somehow turn out to be Gillian, then that could open the doors to a few interesting sidequests for ME2: searching for Kahlee Sanders, a confrontation with Paul Grayson, etc.[/QUOTE]
Book Spoilers
Well, at the end ofthe the book, she's what? Eight? Her father is [a fugitive, she's suddenly taken off of the drugs she's been taking for so long, she is technically an Army Brat, etc. IMO, there's lots of places she could have gone crazy.

My crazy theory: Cerberus continues their experiments on other biotic children, and they are named subject 1 thru X. Gillian gets tired of Hendel pushing her Biotic training, she runs away and resorts to joining a gang to survive. Eventually, Gillian is recaptured, and Cerebus continues their experiments on her. Since she was originally who they tested their drugs on, she is named Subject Zero. Then somehow she hooks up with Shepard's crew;perhaps she gets rescued by Shepard's crew as a request from Kahlee.

Anyhoo, yeah, it could or couldn't be.

[quote name='moojuice']Book Spoilers
Well, at the end ofthe the book, she's what? Eight? Her father is [a fugitive, she's suddenly taken off of the drugs she's been taking for so long, she is technically an Army Brat, etc. IMO, there's lots of places she could have gone crazy.

My crazy theory: Cerberus continues their experiments on other biotic children, and they are named subject 1 thru X. Gillian gets tired of Hendel pushing her Biotic training, she runs away and resorts to joining a gang to survive. Eventually, Gillian is recaptured, and Cerebus continues their experiments on her. Since she was originally who they tested their drugs on, she is named Subject Zero. Then somehow she hooks up with Shepard's crew;perhaps she gets rescued by Shepard's crew as a request from Kahlee.

Anyhoo, yeah, it could or couldn't be.[/QUOTE]Correction:
I looked it up and: Gillian is twelve during the events of Mass Effect: Ascension. Mass Effect 2 is supposed to take place two years after Ascension, making Subject Zero seemingly too old to be Gillian.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back