Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

An arena is exactly what this game needs. And I bet you that one will be coming in the form of DLC.

And it will have PHAT LEWTS.

Ok maybe not the loot so much.

The power retraining thing was a really nice touch in this game. Especially since you can't max out all the abilities in at least some classes. Respecing is usually something you only see on PC versions of games via mod. Would have been nice to be able to respec your party members too though.

After really getting to know adept the only really useful moves are pull, warp, and singularity. Shockwave and throw are really cool, but when it comes to tearing shit up I really haven't seen a place where they are better than abilities I first mentioned.

My brother and friend told me vanguard sucks. I think I might check out infiltrator, engineer or sentinel on my next play through.

LOL. Vanguard only sucks if you don't know what you're doing or rushing head first into battle expecting Charge and your boosted health to save you. Same goes for Reave on higher difficulties as well. The usefulness of both depends on either your personal tactical prowess or play-through experience. Once you've gotten familiar with each class and biotic talent's limitations the rest is child's play and based on what you just said neither of them strike me as the patient type.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Shockwave as I can free aim hit enemies in cover that Pull & Throw can do next to nothing about but that's just me.

Ha man, Vanguard CAN suck if you are reckless. I know I died a bunch of times when I tried to Leeroy Jenkins a bunch of fights and just charged in. I was mowed down pretty damn fast! Completely my fault too!

But boy did it feel good to get revenge once I leveled up a bit and learned to stop trying to be Rambo. I absolutely LOVED playing as Vanguard, especially with Barrier and Sniper Rifle skills. Those skills seemed to work very well in tandem with my play style.

I think Bioware really nailed the versatility and uniqueness of each class so people can find the perfect class/skill combo that suits their playstyle.

I didn't really like Shockwave that much on my Vanguard (though I did use a full heavy shockwave with Jack a few times and it was impressive!) I liked to area pull and then use a teammate to group throw, or sometimes I'd then do a quick charge on the pulled enemies and finish them off myself.

Man, the possibilities of playstyle seem endless sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just stick with soldier personally. I like playing the game like a shooter and it's awesome having the ability to use all the weapons. I just let my squad do the biotics etc.

Powered up Shockwave can be a beast, especially when you have people group up around ledges or cliffs.
Some of the parts near the end-game when you are fighting on the platforms are a joke as you can just use Shockwave to knock all the enemies right off the side with a single well placed Shockwave.

i have never been owned so hard. it took me 8 tries to kill the
collectors assault on that trap mission
i figured out to use cyro on them but that was like by the 6th try. when i got to the last 2 large guys at the end they were easy to fight but one time i got to the last guy. beat him down to about 0.01% of his life, had to reload and he shock-waved me as i was looking for cover. i was SO pissed that i

broke my controller:cry:. i need to tape the controllers to my hand

[quote name='Dasflikko']Ha man, Vanguard CAN suck if you are reckless. I know I died a bunch of times when I tried to Leeroy Brown a bunch of fights and just charged in. I was mowed down pretty damn fast! Completely my fault too![/QUOTE]

Bad, bad, Leeroy Brown... baddest man in the whole dang town...

I think you mean Leeeeerooooyyyy JENKINS! ;)

Ryan Geddes from IGN had a pretty funny tweet today:

"So let me get this straight. Shepard is the galaxy's finest soldier but can only sprint for 5 seconds at a time?"

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Does anyone know how much Paragon/Renegade you need to resolve the disputes between Jack/Miranda and Legion/Tali without losing loyalty on one of them?

I've done all the Loyalty missions (before Reaper IFF) and I was at about 70-75% paragon and it wasn't enough to solve Jack/Miranda's dispute after Jack's loyalty mission (felt sorry for Jack and now Miranda is pissed.)

I'm at 75-79% paragon now and I still can't win Miranda back. All I have left are the N7 sidequests and the Reaper IFF which starts the end of the game. Also worried that I won't be able to solve Legion/Tali's dispute but I know definately which side I take on that.
[/QUOTE]

When the fight happens, you need at least 80% paragon/renegade in order to not have to pick a side. If you do piss someone off, then you need 100% paragon/renegade in order to gain their loyalty back.

Romance plots were always completed just before the final end game mission in ME1 and here is no different. I think it's safe to say now this is a tradition the devs plan to continue into the last game and beyond. If you want your Shep to get laid that badly then finish the damn game. ;P

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Romance plots were always completed just before the final end game mission in ME1 and here is no different. I think it's safe to say now this is a tradition the devs plan to continue into the last game and beyond. If you want your Shep to get laid that badly then finish the damn game. ;P[/QUOTE]

at least when I was playing the first game, it just kinda popped up (which sucked as I got stuck sleeping with Ashley). But this time it's kinda gone past the point of tedious and has become annoying. All I want to do now is just get her to take off her Baroness costume and get it done and over with

[quote name='BingoBrown']Bad, bad, Leeroy Brown... baddest man in the whole dang town...

I think you mean Leeeeerooooyyyy JENKINS! ;)[/QUOTE]

Hahahah yeah, I guess that is the kind of typo one makes on 3 hours of sleep before work. ;)

Vanguard is my favorite class so far. Especially once you level up charge and shockwave. Charge actually regens your shields, so it benefits you to charge if you're in danger. It's risky, but it makes battles wicked fun. Shockwave is great for getting people out of cover.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.'] If you want your Shep to get laid that badly then finish the damn game. ;P[/QUOTE]

Or....
Flirt with Kelly and you can take her to your quarters. Doesn't show a scene, just a comment from her of having not stayed up that late since high school or something).

When you treat Chambers to dinner that is actually all that happened. Just good food and conversation. You didn't get any ass but if you continue to flirt with her eventually you'll receive an e-mail from her coaxing you to invite her back to your quarters for some strip teasing in a violet Asari dancer outfit and a "thrilling" cuddle session in bed. Oh yes. My Shepard is absolute ANIMAL when it comes to rubbing arms fully clothed while loosely implying sexual relations.

Hilarious but a tad bit unrealistic given the fact they're both fully grown adults gearing up for a suicide mission.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
When you treat Chambers to dinner that is actually all that happened. Just good food and conversation. You didn't get any ass but if you continue to flirt with her eventually you'll receive an e-mail from her coaxing you to invite her back to your quarters for some strip teasing in a violet Asari dancer outfit and a "thrilling" cuddle session in bed. Oh yes. My Shepard is absolute ANIMAL when it comes to rubbing arms fully clothed while loosely implying sexual relations.

Hilarious but a tad bit unrealistic given the fact they're both fully grown adults gearing up for a suicide mission.[/QUOTE]
Hahahaha, I found that completely hilarious also. Lmao @
rubbing arms fully clothed

In other news, I just totally accidentally bumped X at a crucial dialogue moment, botching Zaeed's loyalty mission :cry: time to restart.

[quote name='Fjordson']Hahahaha, I found that completely hilarious also. Lmao @
rubbing arms fully clothed

In other news, I just totally accidentally bumped X at a crucial dialogue moment, botching Zaeed's loyalty mission :cry: time to restart.[/QUOTE]

Adding further insult to injury (as if that were possible) I stumbled onto it immediately after finishing the game. Come on now. If
saving her goofy ass from certain death still wasn't enough to warrant rigorous sexual therapy
then my Shepard will gladly take a walk. No way in hell I'd settle for that shit IRL and I would like to think neither would the canon Shep.

Then again... the canon is relatively Paragon and we know he can still be a huge piece of puss cake most of the time so maybe a little imaginary dry humping would suit his needs. :whistle2:k

Speaking of Zaeed's snoreville of a loyalty mission...
is it possible to kill his mark if you take the renegade path or does he get away regardless of your decision?

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Speaking of Zaeed's snoreville of a loyalty mission...
is it possible to kill his mark if you take the renegade path or does he get away regardless of your decision?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, if you pick the renegade dissicion (as I did) you kill him

Sweet! I'm looking more and more forward to playing my renegade female profile now. I plan to (if possible) decline every loyalty mission, skip ship upgrades and kill off as many party members as humanly possible before
Moriath
ends my Shepard's villainy once and for all. Gotta spice things up a bit, you know?

I played through as a Renegade in both games, it really makes things intresting. Occasionally I'll pick a Paragon choice but 90% of the time I'm a dick.

you can be a dick in this game without even realizing it, you help someone and your like i helped them i feel happy, then you get +5 renegade

Unfortunately even while behind the helm of fictional characters in a damn video game my conscious instinctively guides me to morally sound decisions which results in a Paragon dominate experience. Full Renegade is akin to having teeth pulled without the benefit of anesthetic so I hope to actually follow through this time. Considering the fact anyone who knows me can vouch for how much of a sarcastic ass I can be on the day to day it doesn't make much sense. ;\

It also doesn't help that the devs are still giving away free Paragon points like its Halloween candy. I could literally murder an entire planet, but if I told EDY it did a bang up job providing intel they'd award me like 324203849234 extra Paragon points for positive reinforcement. >_>

Btw...
has ANYONE found a taker for the fake ID found at the Citadel?
I've literally spent about two hours scanning planets for side quests because I can't find anyone.

Not sure if this has been asked or not, and please redirect me if it has, but does the DLC that was 'leaked' or released on xbox.com for free work? (CE, Incisor Sniper, etc.)

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
Btw...
I've literally spent about two hours scanning planets for side quests because I can't find anyone.[/QUOTE]

head torwards the warehouse on the Citadel and right before you leave the main floor of the market section on the left side, there will be two asari whining and eventually bitching about humans.

also
Liara's mission sucks ass. No matter how many different security terminals I hack, it still won't complete the mission

[quote name='kennistond']Can anyone tell me what happens if you
decide to not destroy the Collector's ship?
[/QUOTE]

Not much. But, it will probably be something big in ME3. You will mostly get comments about it from your remaining squad.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Btw...
I've literally spent about two hours scanning planets for side quests because I can't find anyone.[/QUOTE]

I searched and found this:

There are two asari talking, but they only appear/conversation is unlocked only after you meet a few requirements. One of which is completing Thane's loyalty quest... The other might just be finding that ID.

There are sitting outside the staircase going down, to the left as you exit C-Sec.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']LOL. Vanguard only sucks if you don't know what you're doing or rushing head first into battle expecting Charge and your boosted health to save you. Same goes for Reave on higher difficulties as well. The usefulness of both depends on either your personal tactical prowess or play-through experience. Once you've gotten familiar with each class and biotic talent's limitations the rest is child's play and based on what you just said neither of them strike me as the patient type.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Shockwave as I can free aim hit enemies in cover that Pull & Throw can do next to nothing about but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

After going through a Soldier playthrough I tried Vangaurd and charged at enemies. It didn't take long that I'd have to be more strategic with this option.

I checked out the 4th level of Charge and it looks enticing to take out multiple units with such a powerful splash damage effect but right now I'm mostly using Shockwave myself. The game is a reasonable challenge on Veteran as well.

[quote name='Rodimus']
Yes, if you pick the renegade dissicion (as I did) you kill him
[/QUOTE]
He gets killed in such an awesome way too XD

[quote name='Rodimus']I played through as a Renegade in both games, it really makes things intresting. Occasionally I'll pick a Paragon choice but 90% of the time I'm a dick.[/QUOTE]
Renegade all the way!

Anyone else a little aggravated that the achievements are worth nothing in this game? In the first one you unlock on and you get some sort of bonus in game like 10% heath or shields or something. In this one you get none of that. I really liked that in the first game and it made me want to get all the achievements. This one you can get almost all of them in one play. I have to say that is about the only thing I do not like about the game right now. I'm also still unsure as to what one I liked more. The first one was really good and this one is too but I see something pulling me back to the first one more then this one.

[quote name='sendme']Anyone else a little aggravated that the achievements are worth nothing in this game? In the first one you unlock on and you get some sort of bonus in game like 10% heath or shields or something. In this one you get none of that. I really liked that in the first game and it made me want to get all the achievements. This one you can get almost all of them in one play. I have to say that is about the only thing I do not like about the game right now. I'm also still unsure as to what one I liked more. The first one was really good and this one is too but I see something pulling me back to the first one more then this one.[/QUOTE]
Actually the ally achievements unlock bonus powers for the next time you start a new game.

[quote name='fart_bubble']
Liara's mission sucks ass. No matter how many different security terminals I hack, it still won't complete the mission
[/QUOTE]

There are 3 terminals. After you hack them you have 60 seconds to upload them at the nearest server thingy. You have to do the hack and then subsequent upload 3 times i think. After my 3rd upload i got a message saying to go see her in her office.

Or are you talking about the hack to get lost data to determine which person to kill?

[quote name='Owen']Achievements are lame anyways. You should be enjoying the game and not care how big your gamerscore is.[/QUOTE]

Achievements give some of us the necessary incentive to explore a game further through various play-throughs. I honestly do miss the copious amount of meaningful achievements in ME1 because it felt like I was actually doing something challenging and worthwhile. Hell... I wouldn't have fell in love with the game if I wasn't hunting for them in the first place. They forced me to acknowledge certain aspects of the game I would have easily dismissed otherwise. God knows if there were a 50 - 150 point achievement for scanning planets or researching everything in the game it would help ease the process of making a 100% completed save for ME3.

Some may believe ME1's amount of side quests were a prime example of quantity over quality but I disagree immensely. Most of them either had a certain charm or stood alone fairly well and my runs with different characters who skipped quite a few made the universe feel a lot more empty. A fact made that much more apparent in the sequel. A few mildly difficult or character specific achievements could have kept me distracted from dwelling on the loss of them for a short while. Better than nothing I suppose.

/Shrug

Either way I agree that it shouldn't take someone more than a week or two to a month to complete every achievement in this game. Hell... I was like 6 - 10 away from doing so on my initial play-through. None of them aside from maybe Insanity I would consider difficult. Now that I've got a firm grip on the gameplay mechanics I have to admit even a little skepticism is starting to set in there.

Btw thanks guys. I managed to discover a side quest yesterday in one of the systems near Illium. I forgot the name of the planet but its mining facility is the main attraction.

I think that if you need achievement points to give you motivation to explore a game further then you really aren't enjoying the game for what it is. I am scouring this game for any/every interaction/mission/quest possible because I can't get enough of the story and the universe this game is set in. The moment I look at the achievement list to see what else I can do in a game is when I realize im done with that game.

I humbly disagree. I enjoyed Mass Effect enough the first time around to replay it twice afterward for the storyline and gameplay alone. However if it weren't for the added incentive of achievements I probably wouldn't have realized nor properly appreciated the gross amount of depth there was to it only by dedicating a 5+ profiles of play time would have brought to light. I would have instead moved on satisfied that I had experienced everything in another 40+ hour play-through when I hadn't. It's all a matter of personal preference and opinion here.

Btw I only achievement hunt in games I actually enjoy and when you've got a backlog that's been neglected for months said achievements can nudge you into either moving on or keeping your library shelved for good reason. ME1 was definitely time well spent.

i got
thane killed
, cant wait to see how that works out in ME3 :cry:

i wondr if loyaltly plays a role as well, since i screwed up Mirandas and i didnt have the abilty to paragon/renage her back!

is it possible to
HAVE ALL SURVIVE
?

[quote name='timesplitt']i got
thane killed
, cant wait to see how that works out in ME3 :cry:

i wondr if loyaltly plays a role as well, since i screwed up Mirandas and i didnt have the abilty to paragon/renage her back!

is it possible to
HAVE ALL SURVIVE
?[/QUOTE]
Yes, of course it's possible to have all survive. It's pretty easy to do, too. I only hit a snag with Mordin dying, thank god for backup saves, though.

Also, kinda off topic, but I just won a Collector's Edition and Terminus armor code from a friend and now I don't know what to do with it. Anyone got any ideas?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Also, kinda off topic, but I just won a Collector's Edition and Terminus armor code from a friend and now I don't know what to do with it. Anyone got any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Make some quick cash via Ebay or quick points via your FL on Live. Easy. Craig's List is also an option if you're extra impatient.

Finished my third playthrough last night (Vanguard, Infiltrator, Sentinel) and started my Soldier playthrough. Although I am loving the Soldier so far, I really wish I could exchange the pistol for the SMG. I may change my mind about this at some point, but as of right now the SMG is my favorite gun to use in the game (when fully upgraded, of course).

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Personally I'm a huge fan of Shockwave as I can free aim hit enemies in cover that Pull & Throw can do next to nothing about but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

I like Shockwave because you can hit multiple enemies. Throw and Pull can be curved around cover.

I'm sort of disappointed that Throw doesn't effect cover as well as the target. In ME1 you could kill guys behind cover by pushing it onto them.

Amazing game so far though. I didn't like some of the changes at first but now I'm completely overwhelmed by its awesomeness.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Unfortunately even while behind the helm of fictional characters in a damn video game my conscious instinctively guides me to morally sound decisions which results in a Paragon dominate experience. Full Renegade is akin to having teeth pulled without the benefit of anesthetic so I hope to actually follow through this time. Considering the fact anyone who knows me can vouch for how much of a sarcastic ass I can be on the day to day it doesn't make much sense. ;\[/QUOTE]

I was the same way before Mass Effect. 15 years of JRPG programing will do that to ya. But once I realized it's just a video game & there is no "correct" or "incorrect" path I figured "why the fuck not."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-eRfupYbA

bread's done
Back