Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

If my main character can be a Kroger or I can seduce one I am down!
Gotta love auto-correct, eh?

As for the article, all static. Just noise and speculation. M4ss Effect ain't a thing until I see a trailer that says "Prepare your Anooos: M4ss Effect" Sorry to be a downer. I'm just so freaking excited for anything new having to do with Mass Effect, I'm purposely not getting hyped until something is real. And, no. Fly-by video of the Bioware studios with developers hard at work do not count.

2ccacf40ff1b246f48a721329f25ef2f26b03c36e1108229c3310166e96d5d75.jpg

Heh.  You guys are awesome.  However, what's all this talk about a new thread?  We cannot ever let this thread die!  

But, if it must be done some day, I full support [SIZE=13.63636302948px]M4ss Effect General Info & Discussion: Prepare Your Anus.  If that is not allowed, I'd also be okay with M4ss Effect:  Probe Away.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]I'm starting to give up hope at hearing any real news on the next game in the series.  I think the Bioware team has now dedicated themselves 100% to interviews and featurettes on how amazing it is to be a part of the Bioware team.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px] [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
PS4 listing for ME on Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mass-effect-playstation-4/6848008.p?id=1219241419168&skuId=6848008

Xbox One:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mass-effect-xbox-one/7366118.p?id=1219266293385&skuId=7366118

No release date, lists number of players as 1, no mention of Trilogy. Could this just be ME1? Would be odd to just do the first game without doing the trilogy at once.
Those listings were up there from last year. Mostly like that listing is for the new Mass Effect 4 or whatever they are going to call it.

If anyone knows someone that wants to try ME, you can get 1-3 on 360 or 2 & 3 on PS3 used for $10 total right now at GS.

Seeing this hype and expectations of fans, Bioware has clarified some interesting thing about Mass Effect 4. The developer has stated that Mass Effect 4 will continue to retain its own identity, and Dragon Age: Inquisition (Game Of The Year 2014 Winner) won't be a "Template" for what every other games they make (i.e Mass Effect/non Dragon Age games).

Aaryn Flynn, GM for BioWare's Edmonton & Montreal studios, said:

I've seen a few thoughts like this recently, and thought I'd weigh in as much as I can right now. I have a good idea where it's coming from. All of our games are using Frostbite now. We've said the next Mass Effect (and our new IP, but I won't expand on that yet) uses some of the technology from DAI. We've been enjoying building larger areas that you can explore with less friction, so that'll be there as well.

But after that, the next Mass Effect will be (and should be) drawing on its own rich and successful past more than what DAI would say it should do. Take the Mako, something we've already shown in prototype form. We had that in ME1, and bringing it back is more related to a feeling that we can do it much better than we did before and fulfill the original promise of that gameplay. That has nothing to do with DAI. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that dropping the older consoles has had more impact on the overall gameplay goals of the next Mass Effect game than what DAI successfully accomplished.

We're very proud of what DAI has achieved, but that does not set a "template" for what every other game we make needs to be. Each game franchise needs to innovate and improve their experience based on what's best for it, not just what another game had success with because "well that was successful".

I'm looking to play through the whole series again. I know what class I'm using for 1. I want to use the Infiltrator and Soldier class for 2 and 3 but can't decide which one for which game. I've played the other classes a lot so I really want to use these two. I've only played ME3 on insanity once and weapons seem like they do way less damage than powers (I played Engineer class) so idk how a solider class would work. My dilemma is that that power set for Infiltrators is pretty similar to Engineer and that might be too boring. However, f Solider is too difficult on ME3 insanity then I obv. don't want to do that. The goal is to have fun of course.

These games aren't that difficult as long as your careful and pick the right squad but opinions / thoughts on either class for either game on Insanity, would be appreciated.

You can't go wrong as a Soldier. Just Adrenaline Rush, Adrenaline Rush, Adrenaline Rush. Cryo Ammo seemed super effective in ME3 as well, a lot moreso than in ME2. Put it on the squad and you'll be freezing fools all day.

I'm looking to play through the whole series again. I know what class I'm using for 1. I want to use the Infiltrator and Soldier class for 2 and 3 but can't decide which one for which game. I've played the other classes a lot so I really want to use these two. I've only played ME3 on insanity once and weapons seem like they do way less damage than powers (I played Engineer class) so idk how a solider class would work. My dilemma is that that power set for Infiltrators is pretty similar to Engineer and that might be too boring. However, f Solider is too difficult on ME3 insanity then I obv. don't want to do that. The goal is to have fun of course.

These games aren't that difficult as long as your careful and pick the right squad but opinions / thoughts on either class for either game on Insanity, would be appreciated.
I just finished an Infiltrator playthrough of the trilogy not that long ago, and I would absolutely recommend Soldier over Infiltrator, especially if you're going Insanity. I love rocking Infiltrators in the multiplayer, but my Infiltrator playthrough was pretty boring and rather tough in spots on Insanity in ME 1 & 2, certainly a lot more difficult and less fun than when I played through as Solider or Adept. Playing an Infiltrator in ME 1 & 2 just felt like more of a hassle compared to the other classes, it wasn't as enjoyable and I just didn't feel like my normal badass Shep. Once I got to ME3 things were infinitely easier and I was breezing through, but it still wasn't quite as enjoyable as running around with Javik and Liara exploding all the things. If you're planning on switching class between games, I'd say Soldier for ME2 and Infil for ME3, as Infiltrator for ME2 sucked quad.

As for the weapons feeling underpowered in ME3 compared to powers, it really all comes down to what weapons you're using and the class that's using them. Playing through with an Engineer, it's a power based class so weapons just aren't as effective in their hands and you'll feel like you're shooting paperclips with certain guns. Throw a black widow on your infiltrator and you'll see how powerful the weapons can be compared to powers.

Ryu's advice is spot on for Soldier as well, Adrenaline Rush spam can make you damn near invincible once you get a handle on how playing a Soldier works. I'd actually say it's the easiest class to playthrough Insanity with IMO.

What is considered the best assault rifle set up for ME3 single player? I am going thru this again the ps3 and could use  some advice. Thanks

There was a AR you ge in the Citadel DLC I liked a lot but can not remember the name. I beat all games on the 360, but am doing a playthru on the ps3 now. I just need the DLC to go on sale for the ps3

Chackram Launcher was my main choice early on, that was the Kingdoms of Amalur promotional item though.

Love me some Cerberus Harrier though.

Can't forget about the Mattock either.

Although I used the Lancer, Collector Assault Rifle, & Particle Rifle a lot due to the no ammo thing. Haha

The Mattock, that is the other one I was trying to think of.  Yeah, that and Vindicator were my go-to's.  There are some good pistols with the DLC, too. 

But, really, Spy?  You used that Chakram launcher?  I could not get the hang of that thing.  You gots more skills than me!  :twoguns:

Lol that Chackram Launcher def has a learning curve but it's so deadly when you've "nailed" :p it. It's a dealt combination with the soldier's adrenaline ability. Slow down time, place explosive rounds, sit back and laugh at the carnage lol.

Gamesradar"+" put ME2 @#15 on their best 100 games list. I thought ME2 should have been higher but it just shows volume how Bioware made such an intermission from the main story so fing epic! God, it almost made me want to play it again - maybe would have if I wasn't engrossed in Diablo III right now.

"15. Mass Effect 2
It takes guts to kill off your lead character in the first five minutes of a game, but that's exactly what happens in Mass Effect 2. Sure, it's a bit of a cheat, but it sets the tone perfectly for the rest of this epic space opera. This is the Empire Strikes Back of the Mass Effect series; the dark middle-child with amazing narrative depth, a host of great characters, and a willingness to punish mistakes with a severity most games shy away from.

It's a richer experience as a result. The heightened emotional consequences of your decisions make every action more meaningful. It helps that ME2 gets the basics right - the combat is slick, exploring the galaxy is compelling - and the 'group of galactic misfits' story draws everything together so neatly. Overall, this is one of the best action RPGs ever made, and maybe - just maybe - the best Star Wars game ever, even without the name."
Mmmmmmmmmmm

I like their description, but there's an extra number "5" stuck on the end of the ranking for some reason.
I know, for some reason, that slipped through their proof checker.

And damn it, now I want to go back through and do another playthrough, though I have the DA: I monkey on my back.

I actually keep a spreadsheet of my collection and the games I've played where I rank them. I've had it going since 2002. ME1 and 3 are comfortably tied at #1 and ME 2 is right behind at #3. Without question, the best games I've ever played.

Reading that may have been just the push I needed to start ME2 on my PS3...I think I want the Plat to go along with the full 62 achievements on my 360.

I actually keep a spreadsheet of my collection and the games I've played where I rank them. I've had it going since 2002. ME1 and 3 are comfortably tied at #1 and ME 2 is right behind at #3. Without question, the best games I've ever played.
I have that as well. Games listed by year and ranked by year and overall. I'm going to add a section ranking games by genre for 7th generation. Been meaning to do that. I like making lists lol.

Lol I have a general games owned list as that's about it. I also comment if I'm done with the game and or need to complete achievements. The Mass Effect series, complete!

excited-baby-backseat.gif

I am extremely skeptical and a bit of a pessimist on this particular topic as my online pals know.  But, this?  This seems like the real deal.  Just like it was with DA:I.  And, this is exactly how I thought ME4 would play out.  It's a bit of a cop out, really, but it works. 

Here are the deets from NEOGAF:

NARRATIVE:

• Premise: Set in the Helius Cluster of the Andromeda Galaxy, removed by time and space from the Mass Effect "Commander Shepard" trilogy and its ending. Play as a "Pathfinder" explorer leading expedition with the aim of establishing new home for humanity. Encounter "savage untamed lands", "cut-throat outlaws", and "warring alien races" in an effort to survive and colonies. Andromeda is home to a mysterious alien race, the Remnants, who've left their vaults and ancient technology throughout.
  • Game Objective: Explore 100s of solar systems (over 4x size of Mass Effect 3) collecting resources, developing your ship, crew, and arsenal, while engaging in diplomacy in order to set up colonies, while discovering the mystery behind the Remnants and racing to secure their technology.
  • New Species: Remnants, an ancient race who've left ruins and technology throughout the galaxy. And Khet, seemingly antagonistic.
  • Squadmates: Same as previous games: make friends, take two with you on missions. Cora is able to generate biotic shields you can fire out of. Drack is a Krogan.
  • Loyalty Missions: Same as previous games: complete to unlock increased loyalty and new skill tree for that character. Example: Krogan colony ship has been stolen by outlaws. Track down the ship and return it to increase loyalty with Drack. Dialogue trees and end game impacted by loyalty status.
  • Dialogue: "Meaningful choices". Deeper control over responses, such as interrupting conversation. Action based choices are physical choices to shape the course of conversation, such as pulling out a weapon and forcing them to open a door instead of attempting to do so purely via conversation.
EXPLORATION/CUSTOMISATION

• Tempest Starship: Pilotable ship to discover 100s of solar systems. Customisable with trophies/loot/photos taken through the galaxy. Transition between flying ship, to landing on planet, to driving Mako, to getting out on foot, all seamless with no loading screens.
  • Mako Vehicle: Upgradeable with turbo boost, shield generator, hostile detector, etc. Customisable paint job.
  • Planets: 100s of surfaces to explore, for discovering places to colonise, and alien vaults/outputs to conquer.
  • Colonies: Build settlements on habitable planets. Able to decide what type of settlement for bonuses. EG: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war on space map and offer more strike team missions, meanwhile Mining Settlements will periodically supply crafting materials.
  • Blueprints: Allow you to craft alien technology using materials for better equipment and weapons, such as a jetpack for jumping, cryo-beam to target enemies, etc.
  • Crew: Customisable skill trees, gear, weapons, etc.
MISSIONS TYPES AND MULTIPLAYER:

• Remnant Vault Raids: Ancient ruins in two variants. Standard: Accessed by finding and activating Remnant Monoliths, explored to find a "powerful artefact". Acquiring artefact triggers defence systems: robots, traps, and restructured layout. Rewards with valuable loot, crafting resources, and Star Keys. Orbital Facilities: Unlocked with Star Keys, provide permanent stat bonuses, and optional higher difficulty vault raids that add Khet patrols and outlaws. Rewards with rare loot and narrative acclaim.
  • Khet Outposts: Optional wave-based combat challenges that reward with XP, reduced Khet power and additional narrative options in the region if destroyed.
  • Strike Team: Spend resources to recruit mercenaries and develop AI controlled strike teams to be deployed on randomly generated, time sensitive missions. Include settlement defence and remnant artefact recovery. Strike Teams return 20 - 30 minutes later with XP, currency, and equipment depending on mission outcome. Spend money/resources to train Strike Team, and buy better equipment, to increase success rate and send on dangerous missions.
  • Active Strike Team: See above, however you can choose to complete the Strike Team mission manually via play using your multiplayer roster of characters. Able to play co-op with friends, more friends increasing difficulty and rewards. Bonus rewards for joining another players strike team mission. XP, loot, and customisation rewards for Strike Team played characters are cohesive with multiplayer specific horde mode.
  • Horde Mode: Similar to Mass Effect 3: four players against waves of enemies with additional objectives such as disabling a bomb or assassinating a target. Similar XP/loot rewards to Mass Effect 3. APEX funds earned to be used in single player.

If ANY of this is true, I'll never need another videogame again.  I am trying to contain my hype-get, but that plug was seriously blown out with all the Star Wars info this weekend.  I may not be able to maintain my composure and I'm officially excited for E3.  The timing, if this plays out like it did with DA:I, lines up perfectly. 

bread's done
Back