Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

I think BioWare needs to walk a fine line here. It makes sense that they want to lure people who were disappointed by ME2's gameplay changes back into the fold. But if they oversell these new "RPG elements," there is going to be a repeat of the bad word of mouth surrounding Dragon Age II if (or really when, since we basically already know this is the case) they only amount to surface dressing on top of the same gameplay from ME2.

And Dragonsbane, I can only say that I diametrically disagree with every single idea you expressed in your post, practically to a word-- it's kind of remarkable really. :lol: I can sympathize though, I've certainly had instances where I felt like the direction that a game series should take was so incredibly obvious, I couldn't understand why I was the only one who could see it (I'm still incensed that JRPG battle systems still require the player to press buttons even though Final Fantasy XII made everything before it so clearly obsolete). :) Win some lose some I guess. I do hope that as a fan of the series you can find some enjoyment in ME3, even if it's not the game you wanted.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think BioWare needs to walk a fine line here. It makes sense that they want to lure people who were disappointed by ME2's gameplay changes back into the fold. But if they oversell these new "RPG elements," there is going to be a repeat of the bad word of mouth surrounding Dragon Age II if (or really when, since we basically already know this is the case) they only amount to surface dressing on top of the same gameplay from ME2.

And Dragonsbane, I can only say that I diametrically disagree with every single idea you expressed in your post, practically to a word-- it's kind of remarkable really. :lol: I can sympathize though, I've certainly had instances where I felt like the direction that a game series should take was so incredibly obvious, I couldn't understand why I was the only one who could see it (I'm still incensed that JRPG battle systems still require the player to press buttons even though Final Fantasy XII made everything before it so clearly obsolete). :) Win some lose some I guess. I do hope that as a fan of the series you can find some enjoyment in ME3, even if it's not the game you wanted.[/QUOTE]

Well as I said they story was still great it was the game play that lost my interest. I have hopes for ME3 but Ill wait until the game is out. Again no one is wrong here your opinion is as vaild as mine, I was just expressing mine.

Is it too much to assume that we could actually have a "best-of-both worlds" game?

A game that has great shooting controls (ie: Gears of War-ish) AND great (deep) customizable RPG elements?

Mass Effect 2 improved on ME1's shooting mechanics but took a step backwards in the RPG department. Hopefully we can improve on both aspects for ME3.

I'd assume it's mo-cap work, as live action trailer would seem very out of place for a game like ME3.

I'm sure she had some voice work if she has something listed in the credits that's not a generic classification.

fuck it, this anticipation is killing me. With all of the hype surrounding the ME3 E3 demo, I think I'm going to buckle and consume every piece of info released next week.

I'm weak. :cry:

[quote name='Arikado']In #ME3 the scale is entire civilizations.[/QUOTE]
garrus.png

ME3 "Better with Kinect?"

19585_400x230_1_RP.jpg

If this is true, I seriously doubt it will be important to the main game, especially since it's launching on PC and PS3 (has the potential for Move support as well, I'm assuming). Even still, it is a little irritating to see the purple bar on the (early) box art. Guess we'll find out more soon enough.

ME3 with Kinect? Well, that certainly isn't something we'd be expecting. :whistle2:s

I hope that's just early concept art and that the odd purple bar will be gone with the final art, and any trace of Kinect from the game.

Though, it would give the romance options in-game some interesting "control mechanisms".

Might have to get a Kinect if I can make Shepard back hand team mates at any time.

"fuck your missing family member you didn't care about for the past 20 years!"

*smack*

"We're trying to save the galaxy!"

Games not out until next year, plenty of time to order and master the moves...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HiuCaaQhxg[/media]

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Cross your arms to end a conversation.

Air quotes to dismiss claims.

Do it BioWare!![/QUOTE]

Lean forward to say "I should go."

That's all I'd do.

[quote name='drktrpr1']
This is EXACTLY what I want: A sci-fi RPG that plays like Gears of War.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah. ME2 was a good cover shooter in its own right but if they can bridge the gap with Gears, that will be incredible. I'm not sure about all this talk about how hard it is though, how Normal is the new Veteran. I still want to be able to beat this thing on Insanity at some point. :lol: ME2 was hard enough.

That's gotta be a joke. Please dear god, let it be a joke!

Edit: Kotaku brings up a good point: "I've long been a proponent of using Kinect to address certain interface issues within games, such as working through menus and such"

This is the only way I could see Kinect being implemented in-game.

I love the dev comment though: "I flew to the Citadel and boy are my arms tired" :rofl:

Personally, yeah, I doubt it. I posted this in the Kinect thread-- the cover art that was found is a screengrab from the first teaser trailer, that doesn't seem likely. I think it's a placeholder made from a generic Xbox 360 cover art template that included the Kinect verbiage. And now the devs are having a joke at our expense. :lol:

I think that if it was Kinect-enabled, we'd see evidence of it at the E3 demos.

I'm sure this is nothing more than a mistake in screen box art. At least, I can hope so.

So, Kinect support is official. From the brief bit shown during the Microsoft press conference, I think it's a nice little bonus if you have one. The game seems to by no means shove the support down your throat, which is what I was a little worried about.

Hmm..yeah sounds interesting. I have a Kinect but not sure if I'd ever use it. NIce to have option though and not for actual "shooting/dodging" part of the game.

This Kinect enabled seems like a stretch. Voice commands have nothing to do with Kinect, the only thing needed is a microphone. Worked great in EndWar.

edit: saying voice commands has nothing to do with Kinect is a bit overstating the issue. This is just an example of marketing at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's true. Seems like they could just as easily just support the regular headset, unless there's more to it than they've shown.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, that's true. Seems like they could just as easily just support the regular headset, unless there's more to it than they've shown.[/QUOTE]

Can't imagine that they could use more functionality since it could alienate those without Kinect on all platforms.

Bottom line...I just want more Mass Effect.

New trailer was pretty cool, but Liara and Garrus again-- I wish they weren't playing the squad so close to the chest. :lol: We did get a glance at Legion in an NPC role. And speaking of, during the footage at the Microsoft presentation, did anyone else think that they have a new voice actor for Mordin?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']New trailer was pretty cool, but Liara and Garrus again-- I wish they weren't playing the squad so close to the chest. :lol: We did get a glance at Legion in an NPC role. And speaking of, during the footage at the Microsoft presentation, did anyone else think that they have a new voice actor for Mordin?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he sounded different.

Full details on the N7 edition:

71183_400x230_1nr_e3.jpg

Get the ultimate Mass Effect 3 experience with the N7 Collector's Edition! This exclusive and limited package includes:

• Exclusive N7 fabric patch
• Art book, 70 pages
• Dark Horse ME Series 3 issue 1, with alternate cover art

A full collection of in-game content that can’t be found anywhere else!

• N7 arsenal pack – N7 Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol and SMG
• Squad-mate alternate appearance pack
• Normandy mechdog companion
• Shepard casual appearance– N7 hoodie
• Exclusive extended soundtrack
• Exclusive 4x6 lithograph
• Day 1 DLC – the Prothean (Adventure/Character)
• XBL Normandy Avatar
• Exclusive forum, social avatars, badges and perks

I couldn't find the listings, I hope they don't pull the "Incisor Rifle only in Digital Version" crap again. We got it eventually, but it's a huge ball-kick.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Yeah, he sounded different.[/QUOTE]

Likely a placeholder. Thane had a different voice during the E3 where ME2 was shown off.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Normandy mechdog companion
Day 1 DLC – the Prothean (Adventure/Character)[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... :whistle2:k

Yeah, the listing is for the digital deluxe, so some of that content might not be in the console/boxed PC editions. Hopefully not.

I think I'm most excited about the N7 hoodie casual attire, that sounds pretty funny.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, that's true. Seems like they could just as easily just support the regular headset, unless there's more to it than they've shown.[/QUOTE]

I'll be getting ME3 either way, so will certainly give it a shot regardless.

But after just seeing the Kinect walkthrough at GT (here), I'm also at a loss (besides the obvious Kinect money-grab) for why the regular headset isn't supported.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kylearan']I'll be getting ME3 either way, so will certainly give it a shot regardless.

But after just seeing the Kinect walkthrough at GT (here), I'm also at a loss (besides the obvious Kinect money-grab) for why the regular headset isn't supported.[/QUOTE]

How're you supposed to tell your squad who to attack via voice commands? That seems to be a glaring issue here.

When they first mentioned Kinect, first thing that came to my mind was "Are they going to allow us to scan ourselves in to effortlessly recreate Shep in our image?" Wouldn't be a game changer, but would make for a cool trick.

Not like it'll affect me one bit though. Couldn't imagine playing ME on anything but my PC.

bread's done
Back