Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']It's honestly the only trilogy I absolutely HAVE to full achievement score despite how feel about its current direction.[/QUOTE]
It would be sweet for an ME game to finally get up to 1750 G.

So for those of you that have the new dashboard preview channel..... It's now showing an ME3 slide. When you click on it there is a 1.8 GB download for "private beta"....

Downloading now....

LOL. I'm keeping tabs on BSN because shit is about to get seriously serious. God knows I could use a good laugh. All reports confirm that is indeed the genuine demo. I guess now would be a good time to change my stance on ignoring dashboard previews, huh? Hopefully all classes are available so I finally get the skinny on what they've done to my beloved Vanguard.

From what I hear, releasing this was a massive mistake. There are missing textures and sounds all over the place.

Reminder to folks playing it: remember to use spoiler tags. There are images floating around now that show off certain characters and situations not seen in any public demos shown off by BioWare so far.

[quote name='Arikado']From what I hear, releasing this was a massive mistake. There are missing textures and sounds all over the place.

Reminder to folks playing it: remember to use spoiler tags. There are images floating around now that show off certain characters and situations not seen in any public demos shown off by BioWare so far.[/QUOTE]

Ya this seems to be near opening sequences, tons of spoilers.

I will say...

Ashley is looking hot, even this unpolished game state

Cinematic direction is still very good.

The boys ship got it, shepard is pissed now

Last edited by a moderator:
They pulled it! OMG i played through the whole demo, and now its gone! Haha weird! The demo was a very very early build of the game, many things were not even there like textures and colors, etc. Very very early, but this game will be great.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Shitstorm incoming! Apparently there are three "game modes": Action Mode, which automates the story; Story Mode, which automates the combat; and RPG Mode, which is the same old Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

Action Mode: For those who want to emphasize action and combat and minimize story management. Action mode will set automatic replies in conversation and a normal difficulty.

Story Mode: For those who want to emphasize story immersion and minimize combat pressure. Story mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a minimal combat difficulty.

RPG Mode: For those who want to explore both realms of story and combat. RPG mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a normal combat difficulty.

Could just be for demo purposes. Either way, I don't see the big deal. Action Mode is for the crowd that just wants to run and gun, Story Mode is for those that only care about the narrative, and RPG Mode is the actual game the way it was intended to be played.

[quote name='Arikado']Could just be for demo purposes. Either way, I don't see the big deal. Action Mode is for the crowd that just wants to run and gun, Story Mode is for those that only care about the narrative, and RPG Mode is the actual game the way it was intended to be played.[/QUOTE]

Would you start out in the third game in a series because it suddenly had mechanics you preferred?

It's odd that they would put that much development time into creating two modes like this to lure players that supposedly weren't interested in the two games before it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Livestream: http://pt-br.justin.tv/heavymetalkidx182#/w/2016316240/2[/QUOTE]

Whoa, no thanks. I closed that thing out in a hurry when
Shepard walked over to the (invisible :lol: ) Cerberus trooper and asked him what they were doing here. I don't want that spoiled!

[quote name='thrustbucket']Would you start out in the third game in a series because it suddenly had mechanics you preferred?

It's odd that they would put that much development time into creating two modes like this to lure players that supposedly weren't interested in the two games before it.[/QUOTE]

Well, no, I wouldn't, but some people out there would, I'm sure. Some people don't like dialog, they just like to blow shit up.

As far as development time, I can't see how a "fuck decisions, let's shoot shit" game mode and a "babby's first shooter" game mode would cut into it too much. The core game is already in tact, I can't imagine it would take months to simplify it.

HOLY F!! I'm in the preview, so I gotta check this out. I'm installing Gunstringer right now and it's going slow and I'm getting all excited and I lack patience. :/

Also, major "boo!" on how much the art book CE at the bioware store is costing. Seriously? $80? I'm sticking to my amazon order for $26.

UPDATE: OMG, I didn't realize it was a PLAYABLE demo and not just a trailer!!! AAaahhhHHH! I don't know if I'm sad or relieved that I missed it. Either way, it's gone now.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32427813&postcount=283

Shitstorm incoming! Apparently there are three "game modes": Action Mode, which automates the story; Story Mode, which automates the combat; and RPG Mode, which is the same old Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a cool move, if they are going to go after the more casual crowd, at least they'll have a mode that leaves ME alone for the die-hard crowd. RPG mode all the way for me. I wonder if they'll have achievements for each mode. I see many, many playthroughs a'happenin' at casa de chubby in 2012.

This pretty much sums it up, though:

HguVU.gif

Against my better judgment, I watched that video.
Holy shit, that Clint Mansell music towards the end. And hearing the banter between Wrex, Garrus, and Liara brought a huge smile across my face.
I cannot WAIT for this game. Four more painful months to go...

fuck everyone who played it.

This message has been brought to you by Jealous X who has shitty friends that didn't throw up the bat signal when this demo hit.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Part 3 of the NeoGAF vids: (snip).[/QUOTE]

Not gonna watch that one, feel dirty enough already after watching the video uploaded earlier in the thread. That one was more than enough. :drool:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']fuck everyone who played it.

This message has been brought to you by Jealous X who has shitty friends that didn't throw up the bat signal when this demo hit.[/QUOTE]

Ha! I'm with you, bro. So pissed I missed this and I pride myself on being OCD when it comes to checking game news.

I can't get over
how fucking good Clint Mansell's work fit with that scene. Any doubt that his style might not fit with the Mass Effect universe has been completely erased in my mind. That scene alone is one of the most powerful in the entire series, thanks in large part to the music, and it's not even finalized. I can't wait to hear the rest of the score. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

Some of the vids are starting to get pulled. Watch 'em while you can.....if you are so inclined cuz spoilers obviously.

And, Arikado, I agree, the music is excellent. More like ME1 than ME2 and that's a good thing, IMO.

Got my Normandy SR-2 replica today, it is okay but I think that it should been $10 or $15. It is also much smaller than I thought it would be.

1320482379391.jpg

1320482391424.jpg

1320482408806.jpg

[quote name='Arikado']I can't get over
how fucking good Clint Mansell's work fit with that scene. Any doubt that his style might not fit with the Mass Effect universe has been completely erased in my mind. That scene alone is one of the most powerful in the entire series, thanks in large part to the music, and it's not even finalized. I can't wait to hear the rest of the score. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the music in that scene was outstanding (as was the scene itself). We are in good hands.

Jesse Houston:
Hello everyone!

As most of you know by now, this evening an accidental leak occurred of some early Mass Effect 3 beta code. Microsoft has advised us that through human error at their end, content which was meant for internal beta testing was flagged incorrectly and released to individuals who had signed up for the beta of the Xbox Live dashboard update. It has since been taken down and deactivated.

We’d like to stress that the leaked code is in a rough, unfinished state and was not meant for public release. The content is not final, and is not reflective of the quality of the finished, polished game due for release on March 6, 2012 (March 9 in Europe).

One feature that was present in this early build is a set of game play modes that are in development. In the beta code they are referred to as “action mode”, “story mode” and “RPG mode”. We want to stress that these features are still in the early stages of development and will receive considerable iteration and refinement. These modes are designed to give players an even finer degree of control over their game experience than ever before. Whether it be someone who finds the combat difficult but wants to experience the amazing story, someone who wants to focus on the action and combat game play, or fans who want the rich, story-driven RPG Mass Effect experience they’ve come to love – Mass Effect 3 will support all of these options. We’ll have more info in the days ahead!

ME1 and ME2 already had Action Mode, it was called "slam the X button really fast between killing dudes."

I can't believe I missed this! I got done playing around 10 and didn't check the preview page! oh well, hopefully the dashboard will update soon..

[quote name='Arikado']I can't get over
[/QUOTE]

Same here. Shit is going to be dramatic.

played this all last night....i was freaking out when I saw it on the dash (I have the CE paid off at GS already) I love it. while I was download I searched the net for any word and when I didn't see anything on it I was actually a little afraid to talk about it, lol. Like others have said its still VEEEEEERY early in production, major bugs but overall its going to be EPIC. And I wouldn't say the Action mode is for run & gunners...you still see the story but seems way more linear than the RPG mode would be. (You see the story as they choose instead of taking your own path) I do think those that started the series with the first game (like myself) will lean more towards the RPG mode. Story mode to me seems to meet in the middle, sort of an easy mode.

There's definitely a demand for Story Mode. As odd as it sounds, you do see threads somewhat frequently on the BioWare forums saying "I want to enjoy this story but Casual is too hard." Though it's kind of tough to see how Casual mode can be made even easier short of actually making Shepard invincible. Which can be a valid design choice-- Dreamfall is one of my favorite games ever and it's basically a straight story-experience with scant possibility of death and very little traditional "gameplay" of any kind.

Action Mode, if anything, might be useful for those of us who will play this game 10+ times and get to the point where it is purely about experimenting with classes and builds.

My only real "concern" is that since Action Mode is first on the menu, a new player or someone just not paying quite enough attention might assume that it is the default or "intended" experience. But then again, if someone is button-mashing through the initial menus without exploring the choices, maybe that is the right mode for them anyway. What was that stat that BioWare posted-- something like 20% of players only ever use the quickstart male soldier Shepard?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']There's definitely a demand for Story Mode. As odd as it sounds, you do see threads somewhat frequently on the BioWare forums saying "I want to enjoy this story but Casual is too hard." Though it's kind of tough to see how Casual mode can be made even easier short of actually making Shepard invincible. Which can be a valid design choice-- Dreamfall is one of my favorite games ever and it's basically a straight story-experience with scant possibility of death and very little traditional "gameplay" of any kind.

Action Mode, if anything, might be useful for those of us who will play this game 10+ times and get to the point where it is purely about experimenting with classes and builds.[/QUOTE]
When asked about the rumored "Endurance Mode" for the game (nicknamed Xecutioner Mode amongst the various members of the Mass Effect team), BioWare stated that they had "no comment".

:cool:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Hardcore Mode-- Insanity difficulty with permadeath and no saves.[/QUOTE]

So you have to play it all in one sitting?

[quote name='Anexanhume']So you have to play it all in one sitting?[/QUOTE]

I fully believe Ryu or Ex could do that. Me....not so much.

bread's done
Back