Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Anexanhume']And you know how her eyes look freaky in the game? Yeah, same in person. They didn't mess up the model. They are very striking.[/QUOTE]Well, damn. Good to know they didn't make any real changes from actress to game character.

Looks like she's had a lot of VO work over the years:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0047896/

No pic on her IMDB page, though there is on her home page:
http://www.maggiebaird.com/Maggie_Baird/Maggie_Baird.html

Bioware, ya dun goofed.
You don't piss off the Talimancers.

talimancers.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Does anyone know whether weapons and upgrades that you miss in the levels are available later to buy in shops?[/QUOTE]

I also have this question.

Additionally

I left the citadel but I can't even go to the shrike abysmal to do that fetching quest. I'm scared of quests timing out of me since I read they can. Any idea when I'll be able to go?

Not sure why everyone is bashing this game online/giving it low scores - It's everything I've come to expect from ME. The story telling is also top notch, and the references from the first two games makes me feel sorry for those that never experienced the first two. It's a really great game, granted I'm only about 12 hours in but my complaints are pretty minor.

1) Bugs. My shepard had his head turned another way during a conversation like some others have experienced. I also got "stuck" in a certain mission and had to re-load a save. But these I'm sure can easily be patched.

2) My own ignorance - I wasn't even paying attention to weight, then realized it took five years to use a power again. Not good on Hardcore. I was mad bro.

3) Seems a bit easy even on Hardcore - I'm using pretty much a pure biotic and destroying everything with my two squadmades, but maybe that's because I'm use to playing on insanity? Either way on ME1 Hardcore I was dieing left and right, not so the case here. Already 100% ME2 so hopefully the Insanity Run is as challenging as it was in ME2.

4) Disc Swapping - I've had to swap discs like 6 times now. Wish the missions were more set up in a way I didn't have to swap as often, maybe a bit too much freedom for missions?

5) Discs won't read well on old xbox - I have a falcon motherboard 360 downstairs and the system does not like to read the discs at all. Never had this issue with any other games outside of (go figure) ME2 and MW3. Seems like older consoles just don't like the new discs. Granted I was able to install the discs eventually.

Everything else seems really well done. I'd rather give me a full judgement after beating this on Insane as I did with ME2, but right now they are neck and neck for best game on the 360 ahead of Bioshock for me.

i actually didnt have the option to install the 2nd disc, though I have not touched SP yet...my galatic readiness is about 91% as the alliance are doing quite well due to numerous MP matches. hee hee.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Additionally

I left the citadel but I can't even go to the shrike abysmal to do that fetching quest. I'm scared of quests timing out of me since I read they can. Any idea when I'll be able to go?
[/QUOTE]
I've been wondering that exact same thing. At first I thought you were supposed to buy extra galaxy maps like the ones you can buy on Illium in ME2. But I read someplace that more clusters open up as you progress the story. So I guess just wait and see?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']3) Seems a bit easy even on Hardcore - I'm using pretty much a pure biotic and destroying everything with my two squadmades, but maybe that's because I'm use to playing on insanity? Either way on ME1 Hardcore I was dieing left and right, not so the case here. Already 100% ME2 so hopefully the Insanity Run is as challenging as it was in ME2.[/QUOTE]
That's funny because I definitely feel like this game is much harder than ME2. The big difference is that almost all of the enemies will try to rush or flank you, or at least move around and not let you turtle in cover the entire time like you could in ME2. I'm only playing on Normal but I'm feeling the heat. Of course, I'm also doing my first playthrough as a Vanguard and I'm kind of crap at that class. I'll see how I feel on a Soldier or Engineer run.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's funny because I definitely feel like this game is much harder than ME2. The big difference is that almost all of the enemies will try to rush or flank you, or at least move around and not let you turtle in cover the entire time like you could in ME2. I'm only playing on Normal but I'm feeling the heat. Of course, I'm also doing my first playthrough as a Vanguard and I'm kind of crap at that class. I'll see how I feel on a Soldier or Engineer run.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all points. Also, I hate turrets.

Yeah, I've only played the demo thus far, but noticed that it was harder on Normal than ME2. Bothered me a tad as one of the things I liked about ME2 is it was fairly easy on Normal, where as ME1 was a pain in places (I'm a person that hates hard games).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's funny because I definitely feel like this game is much harder than ME2. The big difference is that almost all of the enemies will try to rush or flank you, or at least move around and not let you turtle in cover the entire time like you could in ME2. I'm only playing on Normal but I'm feeling the heat. Of course, I'm also doing my first playthrough as a Vanguard and I'm kind of crap at that class. I'll see how I feel on a Soldier or Engineer run.[/QUOTE]Vanguards would have a bit more time of it with enemies that try to flank, though having Nova should help with that. Shockwave should also help with enemies charging you.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Does anyone know whether weapons and upgrades that you miss in the levels are available later to buy in shops?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if the exact ones are available,
but once you rescue the Turian leader on the Turian homeworld and get to meet Aria at a club in the Citadel,
that opens up a whole new floor of the Citadel with a bunch of shops.

You can also buy those weapons, and the 3 Spectre specific ones, on the Normandy from the shop terminal in the shuttle bay, but they have a 10% markup.

Question for those who have Ashley alive in their playthrough:

According to the guide I'm only supposed to be allowed to buy the Medi-gel upgrade and 1 gift from the terminal outside of the hospital before everything sells out, but the game allowed me to buy the whole store. Once I get the prompt to leave a gift, will I be able to select the correct one (the Tennison poetry) or am I screwed?

[quote name='shrike4242']Was that the pre-order bonus for ordering it through the Origin store?[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Raider shotgun was supposed to be an Origin exclusive. The latest news is that a service rep said the shotgun was a PC exclusive now. :(

That is a very huge oversight when the website never specified it was platform specific.

[quote name='Donut2922']Yeah the Raider shotgun was supposed to be an Origin exclusive. The latest news is that a service rep said the shotgun was a PC exclusive now. :(

That is a very huge oversight when the website never specified it was platform specific.[/QUOTE]

w/so many incentive preorder wpns/armor etc + all the stuff in the game are you really going to miss something like this? I checked out the ME3 wiki and they didn't mention that the collector rifle was something that could be purchased in MP through packs...if that's the case, I'm an exclusively happy camper who doesn't camp. (and hopefully Ryuu gets his collector rifle code soon)

So how many of you are following a guide this time round? I closely followed a guide during the first 2 games because I knew that all the decisions transferred over to this one...but since this is the last one of the series I am free balling it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']So how many of you are following a guide this time round? I closely followed a guide during the first 2 games because I knew that all the decisions transferred over to this one...but since this is the last one of the series I am free balling it.[/QUOTE]

freeballin the first PT...and actually not importing ME2 info for the 1st PT either.

Thoughts on the From Ashes DLC (which will be listed in your journal as Priority- Eden Prime):

2 25 point achievements (1 for beating it, 1 for finding 3 items discussed below):

Very short DLC (about an hour) but incredibly significant to those are big fans of the series. Eden Prime during the Prothean years was going to be a statis pod farm similar to the one on Ilos but the plans to keep the 300k best soldiers among the Protheans in stasis only to revive once the Reapers retreated were foiled by Reaper sleeper agents who then launched an assualt on Eden Prime. Only the leader, Javik, was kept alive as the AI refocused all power as needed to his pod.

Cerberus found the pod and enslaved the population of Eden Prime trying to figure out how to open the pod but they can't read it or the video files found with the pod. Shepard, with the Prothean cypher from ME 1, can see it clear as day (and you get to watch it.) You see as you find the two things necessary to open the pod the scene as the Reapers attack Eden Prime. You can tell the majority of the file size are the videos included. It's really a neat effect as Shepard's eyes glow green when he/she are reading and watching the Prothean writing.

The colonists of Eden Prime are fighting Cerberus and if you look around you find 3 pieces of intel that Liara gives to the resistance and if you find all 3 (beside the achievement) you get the full amount of Galaxy at War whatever units as the colonists are able to repel Cerberus.

At various points you're ambushed by Cerberus troops (just regular guys mainly with a few shield ones and engineers mixed in) and when you try to open the pod, you have to fight off 2 waves, the 2nd being led by an Atlas. When the Prothean awakes you get a third scene as he grabs Shepard so he can communicate with everyone with his sensory abilities.

After a quick debrief w/Hackett you are forced into a scene with Javic in Grunt's old room in engineering as you get to earn some points/reputation as you and Liara talk with Javic. Much to Liara's dismay, the Protheans were not a gentle, peace loving species. They were an empire that dominated the entire known universe.

Javic is initially disgusted that he is the last of his species while the asari, humans, and turians now dominate the universe when they were considered nothing at the end of the Prothean empire (there's a funny exchange when Javic doesn't realize the Salarians also evolved.) If you go down the paragon path of the conversation you learn that if the 300k Protheans had survived, they would have usurped all the evolved species into the new Prothean Empire to prepare for the next Reaper invasion. Think of a cross between Spartans and the Klingons and you pretty much got the jist of the Protheans.

Other things to note are: the Reapers looked the same then as now, some of the universe technology was founded by a race BEFORE the Protheans, and the Reaper/Prothean war actually lasted tens of years. The war had already been going for awhile when Javic was born he says.

One thing to note is that even though he joins your squad as he aches to kill every single Reaper, when I went to do the N7 Cerberus lab side mission he was not able to be selected as a squad mate, so maybe he's only available in the main story missions? I can't test further is that's when I cracked disc 2.

[quote name='MSUHitman']For those curious, IGN put out a post today on Twitter about their walkthrough saying there are 13 endings to the game.[/QUOTE]I'm sure that's all based on galactic readiness scores.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Thoughts on the From Ashes DLC (which will be listed in your journal as Priority- Eden Prime):

2 25 point achievements (1 for beating it, 1 for finding 3 items discussed below):

Very short DLC (about an hour) but incredibly significant to those are big fans of the series. Eden Prime during the Prothean years was going to be a statis pod farm similar to the one on Ilos but the plans to keep the 300k best soldiers among the Protheans in stasis only to revive once the Reapers retreated were foiled by Reaper sleeper agents who then launched an assualt on Eden Prime. Only the leader, Javik, was kept alive as the AI refocused all power as needed to his pod.

Cerberus found the pod and enslaved the population of Eden Prime trying to figure out how to open the pod but they can't read it or the video files found with the pod. Shepard, with the Prothean cypher from ME 1, can see it clear as day (and you get to watch it.) You see as you find the two things necessary to open the pod the scene as the Reapers attack Eden Prime. You can tell the majority of the file size are the videos included. It's really a neat effect as Shepard's eyes glow green when he/she are reading and watching the Prothean writing.

The colonists of Eden Prime are fighting Cerberus and if you look around you find 3 pieces of intel that Liara gives to the resistance and if you find all 3 (beside the achievement) you get the full amount of Galaxy at War whatever units as the colonists are able to repel Cerberus.

At various points you're ambushed by Cerberus troops (just regular guys mainly with a few shield ones and engineers mixed in) and when you try to open the pod, you have to fight off 2 waves, the 2nd being led by an Atlas. When the Prothean awakes you get a third scene as he grabs Shepard so he can communicate with everyone with his sensory abilities.

After a quick debrief w/Hackett you are forced into a scene with Javic in Grunt's old room in engineering as you get to earn some points/reputation as you and Liara talk with Javic. Much to Liara's dismay, the Protheans were not a gentle, peace loving species. They were an empire that dominated the entire known universe.

Javic is initially disgusted that he is the last of his species while the asari, humans, and turians now dominate the universe when they were considered nothing at the end of the Prothean empire (there's a funny exchange when Javic doesn't realize the Salarians also evolved.) If you go down the paragon path of the conversation you learn that if the 300k Protheans had survived, they would have usurped all the evolved species into the new Prothean Empire to prepare for the next Reaper invasion. Think of a cross between Spartans and the Klingons and you pretty much got the jist of the Protheans.

Other things to note are: the Reapers looked the same then as now, some of the universe technology was founded by a race BEFORE the Protheans, and the Reaper/Prothean war actually lasted tens of years. The war had already been going for awhile when Javic was born he says.

One thing to note is that even though he joins your squad as he aches to kill every single Reaper, when I went to do the N7 Cerberus lab side mission he was not able to be selected as a squad mate, so maybe he's only available in the main story missions? I can't test further is that's when I cracked disc 2.
[/QUOTE]

fuck, I missed one piece of Intel. Wonder if I can land again?

[quote name='MSUHitman']Question for those who have Ashley alive in their playthrough:

According to the guide I'm only supposed to be allowed to buy the Medi-gel upgrade and 1 gift from the terminal outside of the hospital before everything sells out, but the game allowed me to buy the whole store. Once I get the prompt to leave a gift, will I be able to select the correct one (the Tennison poetry) or am I screwed?
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but
I bought out the store and she took a book when I went to visit her so I guess it does it automatically.

[quote name='MSUHitman']

[/QUOTE]
I loved this bit. It was great to see a little of the old
archaeology nerd shine through Liara's now-tough exterior. Also, Javik is a riot, love that dry, cynical humor.

At the end of the cutscene, Javik says something about still needing to recover before he's ready to go out on mission. I assume he'll become selectable after some future story milestone.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I loved this bit. It was great to see a little of the old
archaeology nerd shine through Liara's now-tough exterior. Also, Javik is a riot, love that dry, cynical humor.

At the end of the cutscene, Javik says something about still needing to recover before he's ready to go out on mission. I assume he'll become selectable after some future story milestone.
[/QUOTE]

he is ready after your next mission. I went to palaven and when back on ship he was eady to roll.

and for anyone into MP.. I got teh Black Widow today in a Spectre Pack (3 shot semi auto Widow) and the Falcon (grenade shooting assault rifle) and the Sentinel has become a bad ass tank with those. got a missle +1 capacity upgrade, and now just need teh Turian Soldier and ill have all the classes. Servers crashed right after my first game with teh Black Widow vs Geth, lets just say i average about 55-65k epr game in bronze using just it pretty much!

[quote name='Anexanhume']Ok, so reload and lose 1.5 hours of play or catch it next time. :cry:[/QUOTE]
Come on, are you seriously only going to play this game once? :lol:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Come on, are you seriously only going to play this game once? :lol:[/QUOTE]The lack of an Insanity achievement completed in ME2 after two playthroughs makes me know that I'm going through ME3 at least three times.

I'm sure X will have it all done with all the SP achievements by Sunday. :lol:

so finally got the game today and man starting from level 1 again in the mp was rough, caught me off guard but then again my friends did make me start off on silver with no idea what the reapers or geth did.

time to crack the sp :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Come on, are you seriously only going to play this game once? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, it's more an issue of the galactic readiness impact.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Well, it's more an issue of the galactic readiness impact.[/QUOTE]

speaking of galactic readiness, join me for some gold tonight you know you wanna :D

[quote name='gotdott']speaking of galactic readiness, join me for some gold tonight you know you wanna :D[/QUOTE]

I don't have a MP character. I'd be absolute garbage. You guys were way better than me anyway. I was along for the ride with my human adept.

I'm about thirty something hours in (playing since midnight) and exploring everything I can. I don't know how much of an impact on events my previous actions had until I do another playthrough with another save file. I think that just like the initial reaction to ME2, people need a little getting used to the gameplay changes. After a while though, they'll come to realize that the latest game is superior.

some spoilers, not plot but regarding very minor characters
might happen differently on your playthrough, I have no idea

poetic Krogan died and he sent his last poem to his wife :(
Conrad Verner jumped in front of an empty thermal clip for Shepard
You can help human customer (scammer?) get his refund or not
Al-Jilani (the punching bag reporter) dodges your first punch attempt but not the second

I find myself really enjoying the soundtrack. I took notice early in the game and then made a point of downloading the files that were unlocked with my CE so I could take it with me today to work. I think it really brings back the best parts of the score from ME1 with some fresh, ominous mood that is appropriate for this final chapter.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']3) Seems a bit easy even on Hardcore - I'm using pretty much a pure biotic and destroying everything with my two squadmades, but maybe that's because I'm use to playing on insanity? Either way on ME1 Hardcore I was dieing left and right, not so the case here. Already 100% ME2 so hopefully the Insanity Run is as challenging as it was in ME2.[/QUOTE]

It's rather tame on Insanity as well. You can still camp anywhere you want at a moment's notice on almost every level if you apply enough pressure. The only legitimately difficult sections I've come across were
escaping from Grissom Academy and my first Harvester fight.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']It is the same pic from the insert. Pretty slick skin. I wasn't into the soldier class, but used it and I'm getting used to it now. If you link your BF3 on PC to your bioware account, then I believe you can get the skin on the 360. Can't confirm, though.[/QUOTE]

I don't think BF3 will link to a bioware account. I'm wondering if I have it with my EA account if it will link.

Got a question regarding Legion decision stuff:
On Rannoch when it comes to the big decision to allow Legion to make the geth stupid smart, how do the 4 different decisions play out? I did everything right apparently to get all the choices available but would like to know what happens for each one. I went with the Paragon choice so I know how that works but just curious about the others without having to play through that part 3 more times. Such are the woes of playing a game that came out 2 days ago that you can't find it on google yet.

Finally got my copy today.

I'm on the Citadel, and I noticed there's apparently a shooting range.

Is there anything nice that comes out of doing the range? Or is it just mindless entertainment?

[quote name='simosaurus']I find myself really enjoying the soundtrack. I took notice early in the game and then made a point of downloading the files that were unlocked with my CE so I could take it with me today to work. I think it really brings back the best parts of the score from ME1 with some fresh, ominous mood that is appropriate for this final chapter.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, an excellent soundtrack for an excellent game.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Finally got my copy today.

I'm on the Citadel, and I noticed there's apparently a shooting range.

Is there anything nice that comes out of doing the range? Or is it just mindless entertainment?[/QUOTE]

well you can use it to test recoil and damage and other stuff so you don't bring a crap gun on a hard mission

the Specter Black Widow is totally badass
I can take out guys on insanity really quickly

ME3 insanity is the easiest yet imo

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ryuukishi']People object to the existence of DLC. I also read that there are some anti-gay marriage activists or something like that who are upset at the depiction of male-male romance in the game.[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised they're so upset - it's the one place where being gay is a choice.

Damn it man I need more free time to play this game. Bed then work tomorrow repeat. I was happily enjoying myself in the awesome campaign when I get an invite from ninja to play some multiplayer. I wanted to stay away from it as long as I could to avoid spoiler creatures but oh my god was that awesome. Got a Drell with my starter kit too, badass. Lol, how am I going to go to sleep now!

Downloading the soundtrack atm. I like the Ama-lur armor but they did it again the helmet was locked on the on position. Oddly enough though in one conversation I didn't have the helmet and I could see my character's face.

[quote name='AshesofWake']ok am i doing something wrong? I always play Renegade, but it seems like almost every damn choice is giving me +Reputation. boooooooo[/QUOTE]
majority of your answers should be at the bottom for renegade I've noticed

[quote name='AshesofWake']ok am i doing something wrong? I always play Renegade, but it seems like almost every damn choice is giving me +Reputation. boooooooo[/QUOTE]

From what I understand of the morality system, paragon/renegade/reputation points are basically interchangeable, so I wouldn't worry about it.

bread's done
Back