Massachusetts' Cheap Ass Gamers Topic!

Kidtrunks1128

CAG Veteran
I've noticed over my time here at the forum that one of the largest problems is trying to locate where the deals exist. I recently had a problem locating an existing deal in my area, Massachusetts. So I propose this topic is for Massachusets Cheap Ass Gamers who want to help and can request it here. Here we go!d by

So far I've found that the Circuit City in Natick has the really cheap prices. What I mean is I've bought both Breath of Fire V and Freaky Flyers for $7 each.

I've checked out the Circuit City in Braintree, and they too have Breath of Fire V for around $7, although I don't know what other deals they have.

Target in Westboro has some cheap titles, although their selection is dominated by newer releases. I was able to pick up Summer Heat Beach Volleyball for $5.23.

I'm heading to the Marlboro Target tomorrow to see what they've got. I heard someone was able to purchase Arc the Lad for $5. If this is true, and I can find it, I'll be extatic.

For all the Cheap Ass Gamers in Massachusetts, let's give eachother a big hand. Thanks.

Anyway, to the moderators, if this topic doesn't belong here please move it.

lolz yeah so confuzzing thanks to that Yankee.

anyways welcome. Went to Galleria for the first time in years and absolutely no cheap games.

[quote name='m_d_amore']AnyBody checkout the Virgin meagastore closing yet?[/QUOTE]

I was there earlier. They had GTA Triple Pack for $9.99 (!) over the weekend, but they are long gone now.

I saw
Harry Potter (ps2, the first one I think) $4.99
Lord of the Rigns the Third Age (xbox) 4.99
Odama $9.99
King of Fighters 2002/2003 $9.99
Burnout Revenge (xb0x) most tagged at $9.99, some tagged at $4.99
Urbz (xbox) Most tagged at $4.99
Mad Maestro (tons of copies) 4.99
Codename: Kids Next Door $4.99
Metroid Prime 2 $9.99
Davinci Code $9.99
Pokemon XD $9.99
NFL Street (xbox) $4.99

I can't remember the rest, most weren't that good, although I seen someone walk out with Mega Man Collection X for $9.99.

Most of the other games are regular priced with a 25% discount.

They had new stuff marked down over the weekend and the place was packed. One guy had a basket overflowing with games -- he didn't look like he was buying for his personal collection either.

Other games include:

Outlaw Golf 2 $4.99 for PS2 and XBOX
Phantasy Star Online 2 and 3 for $4.99 XBOX
Star Wars Battlefront II XBOX (no price, but mixed in with other $4.99)
Sims Bustin Out ?
Sims 2 ?
The Guy Game $4.99
Goldeneye Rogue Agent $4.99 XBOX

Some sports games
Some random GBA games (Ty 2 $4.99)

What's confusing about this sale is you don't really know how much something costs because they have to manually override whatever scans up. Moreso for the stuff that's marked at their regular price, which would mean 25% off, but some games actually belong in the $4.99 group which nets another 30% off.

And if you end up at a register with someone new/clueless, it could be bad. No way to check before hitting the lines either.

Don't remember seeing any GC games, or $9.99 prices, so those must be newer or a lot older.

[quote name='Hibiwa']They had new stuff marked down over the weekend and the place was packed. One guy had a basket overflowing with games -- he didn't look like he was buying for his personal collection either.

.[/QUOTE]

bah, so I did get there too late. Oh well, maybe they'll add new stuff through the week?

[quote name='evilmax17']Has anybody checked the Sears at the Natick Mall lately? Mainly looking for Mario Tennis.[/quote]I went last week, they had nothing good. All the store in that area suck for deals:cry:

[quote name='Hibiwa']I might stop by tomorrow. Anything specific you want me to keep and eye out for?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I'm good. I spent enough money there this week.

Still the same stuff you mentioned.

But most of those $4.99 games are now being retagged with $9.99 stickers. No more great bargains (unless it still scans cheaper) and only 25% OFF for all videogames/electronics.

Sucks that they seem to be upping the price. Whatever.

I went to the Virgin MegaStore near Newbury Street yesterday, but did not find anything great really. Most of the games were for the original Xbox, none that really stood out.

Picked up the guy game (xbox) and nba street v3 (gamecube) for $5 each. Got the lotr return of the king box for $15, no idea why it was that cheap since the sticker said 80 and 50% off would be $40. Also picked up a couple cd's for half price.

One odd thing that happened was, after purchasing that, I found a dharma and greg season 1 dvd in one of those rolling carts, and it was priced at $40. Figured it would be $20 since dvd's were 50% off. So I take it up to the register and say "can you price check this? A few of the things I purchased earlier came up at more than 50% off". It came up at $20 but the guy says "alright, I'll give it to you" and manually took off another 50%, so I only paid $10 bucks.

The person I was shopping with bought a bunch of tv series dvd's and did not get the extra 50% (or 75% off total), and just paid the advertised half price. So I don't really no why the guy did that, but I'm glad he did.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Picked up the guy game (xbox) and nba street v3 (gamecube) for $5 each. Got the lotr return of the king box for $15, no idea why it was that cheap since the sticker said 80 and 50% off would be $40. Also picked up a couple cd's for half price.

One odd thing that happened was, after purchasing that, I found a dharma and greg season 1 dvd in one of those rolling carts, and it was priced at $40. Figured it would be $20 since dvd's were 50% off. So I take it up to the register and say "can you price check this? A few of the things I purchased earlier came up at more than 50% off". It came up at $20 but the guy says "alright, I'll give it to you" and manually took off another 50%, so I only paid $10 bucks.

The person I was shopping with bought a bunch of tv series dvd's and did not get the extra 50% (or 75% off total), and just paid the advertised half price. So I don't really no why the guy did that, but I'm glad he did.[/QUOTE]

The hell? I just bought NBA Street V3 GC for 10 bucks on Sunday, along with halflife 2(20 total). Looks like I have to get my ass back down there again. Hopefully they won't be too empty by the time I get there on wednesday. Mmm biking through rush hour traffic is going to be awesome.

And I missed Odama for 10? SOAB.

10 each!? Damn, you didn't even get the 25% OFF for videogames? Aren't signs for it plastered all around?

It's pretty half-assed if they are continuing to go in reverse on sale prices as it gets closer to the end. Not to rub salt, but Half-Life 2 could have been about $3.50 after discounts (before tax) when the closeout began if you found one stickered at $4.99.

Then again, they contradict each other with or without the signs anyway. Total crapshoot.

On a videogame related note....

Any firsthand experience with the FYE trade 4 for 1 new? Saw the old thread that said Strawberries downtown did it last time.

[quote name='Hibiwa']10 each!? Damn, you didn't even get the 25% OFF for videogames? Aren't signs for it plastered all around?

It's pretty half-assed if they are continuing to go in reverse on sale prices as it gets closer to the end. Not to rub salt, but Half-Life 2 could have been about $3.50 after discounts (before tax) when the closeout began if you found one stickered at $4.99.

Then again, they contradict each other with or without the signs anyway. Total crapshoot.

On a videogame related note....

Any firsthand experience with the FYE trade 4 for 1 new? Saw the old thread that said Strawberries downtown did it last time.[/QUOTE]

Well it would've been 25% off the price on the back, which was 30 bucks. I didn't feel like haggling anyway, 10 bucks is worth it for both of those.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I stopped by there again on wendsay. They had about a half dozen copies of Fire Emblem and Odama for the Cube at $9.99[/quote]
Are you referring to the Virgin Megastore? Where is it located?

You mean the store? At the corner (end) of Newbury St. and Mass. Ave. It's 360 Newbury St. ...right above the Hynes Convention stop on the Green Line if that helps.

BTW, their pricing is still screwy. The $9.99 games are now supposed to be "Final Prices" as marked -- at least according to those cheap handwritten signs. Problem is some aren't marked or marked differently than the same game next to it.

It doesn't hold water for the games with only original stickers because then those would get to be "50% OFF" the price on the upc tags. Or not. YMMV.

Bah.

Saw some Donkey Kongas controllers with 29.99 stickers if anyone cares. Don't know if they'll give additional off either.

what the hell, they had no odama or fire emblem when I was there. And I'd hate driving all the way back into boston only to find out they're sold out. A real possibility since I can't go until thursday or friday.

Went to FYE to check out 3 for 35 deal. As I feared, the collection of games were very poor. Nothing worth picking up.

Sears had a few "clearance" games.. Two copies of PS2 Samurai Warriors for $10(marked as $15), but all others were pretty much regular price.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']what the hell, they had no odama or fire emblem when I was there. And I'd hate driving all the way back into boston only to find out they're sold out. A real possibility since I can't go until thursday or friday.[/quote]

Hope you decided not to risk it. Nothing notable. I think they shut their doors Nov. 4th for a last chance at their rotten $9.99 apples. Third floor is now off limits too.

Going going...

Just picked up a DS Lite and needed some games.
Westgage Mall in Brockton MA

FYI - Metriod Hunters $19.99 (rang up for $34.99, but it had a sales sticker on it)
Sears - Tiger Woods $5.96
Best Buy - Age of Empires - $19.99

[quote name='evilmax17']If anybody finds any PS3/Wii kiosks, make sure to post their locations![/QUOTE]

Wii kiosks at all EB games now it seems.

[quote name='InfiniteLoop']Wii kiosks at all EB games now it seems.[/quote]
Yup! I called to confirm 2 locations: Danvers, MA Gamestop and Cambridge EBGames. Gonna head over to the EB in a few minutes. Hope I get a chance to play it. I picture it being mobbed...

[quote name='moiety']Yup! I called to confirm 2 locations: Danvers, MA Gamestop and Cambridge EBGames. Gonna head over to the EB in a few minutes. Hope I get a chance to play it. I picture it being mobbed...[/quote]
*Grabs car keys*

Had the whole EB to myself. Played for a few minutes (I work across from the Cambridgeside Galleria, didn't want to be gone too long), just to get the feel of it. You have to give a license or cell phone or something of value in exchange for the Wii remote. It is not attached to the system at all. They didn't have the nunchuck either, even though I know it's not used with Excite Truck. I just wanted to hold it...

Sunday can't come fast enough!

[quote name='Mex25']Wii in Danvers Gamestop? (Jumps in car and speeds out of garage)[/quote]
Go to EB at Liberty Tree Mall instead! We just found out Gamestop doesn't have the remote yet, so you can't play it!

[quote name='moiety']Go to EB at Liberty Tree Mall instead! We just found out Gamestop doesn't have the remote yet, so you can't play it![/quote]
They'll probably have it by the end of the day. The Nintendo rep was making the rounds and had hit the Lib Tree Mall first, with the 114 GS probably next in route. Not 100% confirmed, but I would be surprised if it wasn't there by the end of the day.

Just got back. They actually did have the remote at the gamestop in danvers. Ebgames in the liberty tree mall also had the remote. I couldn't play long because people were starting to trickle in and started to notice that they just put out a wii.

EB Games in Framingham has a bunch of shit set up. A Wii (with TWO controllers, I don't know if this is special) with Excite Truck, a PS3 with NBA Live (I think) and Motorstorm (which is pretty goddamn impressive). And lastly, a two guitar Guitar Hero 2 setup for duelz.

Enjoy the Wii-ing

anyone camping out / waiting for a PS3 at bestbuy tomorrow morning in Marlborough?

EDIT: just went by there about 2 hours ago. tents wrapped around the building, so forget it :)

People were out at the Cambridge Best Buy before noon today. I walked up the street for lunch and there were at least 15 people "camped". The Cambridge Sears and Somerville Target also had people lined up by the end of the day.

I drove by the Best Buy and Target, which are right next to each other, in Danvers and noticed there were only a few people maybe around nine waiting in line. I was thinking about camping but then thought its not worth it and I don't have $600.

Has anyone spotted Wii Accessories (or games) at any of the Boston-area (T-Accessible I guess) stores? I may head up to Landmark tonight to see if I can get a Wiimote.

[quote name='lordwow']Has anyone spotted Wii Accessories (or games) at any of the Boston-area (T-Accessible I guess) stores? I may head up to Landmark tonight to see if I can get a Wiimote.[/QUOTE]

Hit up the Landmark BB tonight, they had nada for Wii. Few copies of Resistance for PS3 though.

Any CAGers among the 400 rioting crazies for the PS3 at the SonyStyle at Copley Mall? Saw the news a few days ago and had to shake my head in disbelief. Yeesh.

I especially want to know if you are the one meekly hiding behind the paper as the cop is screaming at you 12 inches away from your face with a megaphone. Thanks to the Globe for running that pic. ROTFLMAO.

In other news................

The newly departed Virgin Megastore will see a Best Buy sprout up from it's bowels on Newbury St. come June 2007 (or something like that).

For the monied, a Magnolia store within a store outpost will cater to those seeking their uber high end home theater systems and such.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Any CAGers among the 400 rioting crazies for the PS3 at the SonyStyle at Copley Mall? Saw the news a few days ago and had to shake my head in disbelief. Yeesh.

I especially want to know if you are the one meekly hiding behind the paper as the cop is screaming at you 12 inches away from your face with a megaphone. Thanks to the Globe for running that pic. ROTFLMAO.

In other news................

The newly departed Virgin Megastore will see a Best Buy sprout up from it's bowels on Newbury St. come June 2007 (or something like that).

For the monied, a Magnolia store within a store outpost will cater to those seeking their uber high end home theater systems and such.[/QUOTE]

My friend was one of them, and he got one.

Ugh, i don't need a second BB in walking distance, I need a Target/CC/anything else.

[quote name='Hibiwa']
The newly departed Virgin Megastore will see a Best Buy sprout up from it's bowels on Newbury St. come June 2007 (or something like that). [/QUOTE]

There's already one less than a mile away, what the crap.

Bumpy

The Sears in the Natick Mall had several random areas with "cheap" video games. Ifor Fire Emblem for the GC for $15.

I got the penny guides in the BB's in Dedham and Braintree. BB in Watertown is tough to get guides at, and Brockton is just annoying (they always have to ask a manager), though it was the only place i could get the Prey guide.

On a different note, do any of you guys know of any good pawn shops with games? I'm from Canton (go to school in Waltham) and used to go to one called Trader's Mart in Brockton, but it isn't that great. There is another pawn shop with games in Taunton, but it is a little pricey. The best deal I got from there was Jedi Outcast on the Cube for like $6, though it had no case and manual.

A little rumor that I've heard through a BB associate. If you haven't noticed, the Cambridgeside Galleria BB has been closed for like 2 weeks. A water pipe burst in the store and pretty much destroyed the place. Word is though that BB is on it's way out there, and that's why they're trying to pick up the old Virgin Megastore locale (on MassAve/Newbury). I think it's a bit foolish considering Landmark is a 15 minute walk from it (and 2 T stops away). But apparently they think there's enough unique business from the MassAve area and Newbury street that doesn't go to Fenway. I may flop stores since I live closer, but it's a really tiny place, so we'll see.

bread's done
Back