Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

YOu try the friends list, budge?

Edit: I think the way you play with friends is going to the free battle servers, then hitting start and setting filters to show with games have friends in them.

[quote name='KingBroly']Has anyone created a CAG clan yet?[/quote]
IMHO, I don't really see the point of making one since it's only a beta, it'll only be up for a couple of weeks.

[quote name='Scorch']I've tried both multiple times[/quote]
How long did you let the Bittorrent method run for? It took me about 3 hours to DL through that route, but the HTTP method always cut me off right from the start, and seeing as how the beta is now live, I can't imagine it's status getting any better.

Is the Beta acting up for anyone else? I got disconnected from PSN and now everytime I try to login it gives me some error about being unable to check my UDP Ports? What gives?

I think I saw Rolento playing earlier. Sorry I was so shitty, that was my first game. I was top three next match I played.

Also how do I get my bluetooth headset to register in the game? I have it registered with the system ,but it didn't show up in the game.

I've tried 5 times to download the first patch. It goes for like 5 minutes at 1 kb/s, and then stops. Right now it's going at 15, so maybe it will finally work.

Nope, dropped to zero again. What the fuck?

[quote name='darthbudge']Is the Beta acting up for anyone else? I got disconnected from PSN and now everytime I try to login it gives me some error about being unable to check my UDP Ports? What gives?[/quote]
It's done that once fr me, but I could log back on a few minutes later.

Casey, you have to press and hold select to turn voice chat on. I just figured this out, but you can go into personal data and gameplay options to check the controls for the game and adjust things if you want to.

Cinder, that name's not coming up. Is that your character's name or game name? The Character name's what you need to add people.

Again, I'm Solid Tanuki for those that want to add me. Feel free to post your character names so I and others can add you.

GameID is TheRock88

Had a couple of games with Tanuki and Darthbudge (I think Casey too). Gotta go right now though, so I'll probably lose the #1 leaderboard spot by the time I come back

Well after having played for like 3 hours straight. Here is what I think.

The game is awesome, however it has a few things holding it back. It is tactical action, however, most people in public servers run around like headless chickens. This really takes the fun away. The few times I was actually able to have my team cooperate, it was extremely great.

The other thing is, the ranking system is confusing. I have played for 3 straight hours and yet, I don't seem to have ranked up at all, and I don't know how to check my progress. Also, is it kills or points, or what that causes you to rank up?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's only a few posts up, bigds:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4272548&postcount=1678[/QUOTE]

thanks. i'm not sure how i like it so far.. i'm not very good, which isn't the problem. I just see this game being redundant, much the way call of duty online was fun for a while but then i lost interest. It's okay, but it feels like just another shooter to me. what am i missing?

..also, i agree that the way the ranking system works is not very obvious.

[quote name='darthbudge']Well after having played for like 3 hours straight. Here is what I think.

The game is awesome, however it has a few things holding it back. It is tactical action, however, most people in public servers run around like headless chickens. This really takes the fun away. The few times I was actually able to have my team cooperate, it was extremely great.

The other thing is, the ranking system is confusing. I have played for 3 straight hours and yet, I don't seem to have ranked up at all, and I don't know how to check my progress. Also, is it kills or points, or what that causes you to rank up?[/quote]
It'll sort itself out when those that know what they're doing keep killing those that don't. It was like that in the original MGO, too, but wasn't much of a problem really.

I'll see what I can find that explains how levels and rankings work. Or do you mean in rankings for DM, TDM, etc?

Holy shit, check out the community site Konami's put up:

http://mgo2web.konami.com/us/community/?m=pc&a=page_h_home

You can post blogs and check out your stats and everything from the game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Holy shit, check out the community site Konami's put up:

http://mgo2web.konami.com/us/community/?m=pc&a=page_h_home

You can post blogs and check out your stats and everything from the game.[/quote]

:shock: Looks like they've been pretty busy. Not sure how much MGO blogging I plan to do, but I love little community sites like this.

Can you only create one character per game ID? Just wondering because I logged in and my character info is right at the top. The UI doesn't seem like it would be that accommodating for multiple characters at first glance.

Just played for an hour or two. Pretty fun. I am "creid" in-game. I feel as if I'll have fun for the first couple days because I'm better than most people, but once people learn how to play the game I'm pretty much screwed.

I just saw in the stats page: "Number of Boosts Given" - does this mean you can boost up your teammates to get to a high platform? That would be nice.

syniik (synical728 - GAME ID) that's my mgo name. And bah!!! I was going to run errands today before work. Looks like I know what I'll be doing instead.

Ugh... can't say that I cared for this much at all. Only played for 45 minutes or so, but I can't see why I would come back to this when existing multiplayer games are already far superior to this. Unless you are a diehard Metal Gear fanatic, I just don't see the appeal.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the single player game, but multiplayer Metal Gear just does not work for me.

[quote name='pete5883']I just saw in the stats page: "Number of Boosts Given" - does this mean you can boost up your teammates to get to a high platform? That would be nice.[/quote]

You can see someone doing this in the MGO trailer. I wonder how often this will get used in actual play.

Is there a way to see detailed stats via the community site? Either it's not there or it's not obvious to me how to access them. I hope it's eventually possible because I love watching them numbers.

MGO shot up so quickly to being the best MP game of this generation so far and I doubt anything comes close to topping it.

metaly, click on record for your stats.

Edit: 45 minutes isn't much time, ship.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']MGO shot up so quickly to being the best MP game of this generation so far and I doubt anything comes close to topping it.

Edit: 45 minutes isn't much time, ship.[/quote]

Ah cool, all the interesting stuff was just hidden under the 06 tab. Of course it'll probably be better once I play in a ranked game.

Also, you're criticizing him for not putting enough time into the game, yet you're already saying stuff like "best MP game of this generation" after the beta's been open for less than a day?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']MGO shot up so quickly to being the best MP game of this generation so far and I doubt anything comes close to topping it.

Edit: 45 minutes isn't much time, ship.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm going to try it some more so that I don't feel like the insane amount of time it took to actually play this isn't wasted, but I'd be surprised if more time spent with it actually makes me feel differently about it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. This won't go down as the best MP game of this generation though.

Am I wrong in thinking that you are a huge MGS fan? I just don't think many people will gush over this if they aren't Metal Gear diehards.

sigh i haven't been able to d/l this beta (got version 1.00) updates to 1.02 b/c of fucking World of Warcraft roommates playing it so much. Probably they get pissed off if i use the bittorrent method since the http method doesn't work for some reason.

[quote name='metaly']Ah cool, all the interesting stuff was just hidden under the 06 tab. Of course it'll probably be better once I play in a ranked game.

Also, you're criticizing him for not putting enough time into the game, yet you're already saying stuff like "best MP game of this generation" after the beta's been open for less than a day?[/quote]
How is saying 45 minutes isn't very long criticizing him? It's a two week beta of a game not many people have experience with and to give up at the very beginning doesn't seem like he's really gotten a grasp of the game yet. It took me about 45 minutes just to get a grasp of the controls and I'm an MGO vet. I'd like to see as many people as possible at least give the beta a chance and give it time to hopefully sink in for two weeks. I don't think that's asking much.

Second, the game of the generation comment was a joke, considering the ludicrousness of the statement. I thought it would be obvious to most people. The original MGO was my favorite online game of the last generation and this is up to par with that game right at this moment, so it's looking like it'll be my favorate game so far of this generation with maybe R6V2 a close second.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How is saying 45 minutes isn't very long criticizing him? It's a two week beta of a game not many people have experience with and to give up at the very beginning doesn't seem like he's really gotten a grasp of the game yet. It took me about 45 minutes just to get a grasp of the controls and I'm an MGO vet. I'd like to see as many people as possible at least give the beta a chance and give it time to hopefully sink in for two weeks. I don't think that's asking much.

Second, the game of the generation comment was a joke, considering the ludicrousness of the statement. I thought it would be obvious to most people. The original MGO was my favorite online game of the last generation and this is up to par with that game right at this moment, so it's looking like it'll be my favorate game so far of this generation with maybe R6V2 a close second.[/QUOTE]

That's fair enough. If you really enjoyed the original MGO, I can see how you would love this.

Best MP player game of this generation?? That is nothing more than fanboy talk. Anything coming close to topping it? Wow, we are less than 3 years in to this current gen of systems and for you to make that statement is pretty bold.

The game apparently has a lot of strategy. People who hate strategy will hate the game. This is the opposite of COD4 where you just point and shoot.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How is saying 45 minutes isn't very long criticizing him? It's a two week beta of a game not many people have experience with and to give up at the very beginning doesn't seem like he's really gotten a grasp of the game yet. It took me about 45 minutes just to get a grasp of the controls and I'm an MGO vet. I'd like to see as many people as possible at least give the beta a chance and give it time to hopefully sink in for two weeks. I don't think that's asking much.

Second, the game of the generation comment was a joke, considering the ludicrousness of the statement. I thought it would be obvious to most people. The original MGO was my favorite online game of the last generation and this is up to par with that game right at this moment, so it's looking like it'll be my favorate game so far of this generation with maybe R6V2 a close second.[/quote]

Maybe criticize wasn't the best word. You were just calling him out for making a hasty judgment, which looked weird when followed with your game of the generation joke, which was not obvious to me. My mistake.

I wasn't a huge fan of what I actually played of Subsistence's MGO, although I felt like it had a lot of potential that couldn't be realized through games with random online people. I'm optimistic for a better experience this time around, since I know more of my friends will be getting it and people may actually communicate.

[quote name='shipwreck']That's fair enough. If you really enjoyed the original MGO, I can see how you would love this.[/quote]
Which is why I'd like to see people give the beta a chance since without this, I'm not sure many people would've given it a second thought when they buy MGS4. I don't think it's that hard of a game for people to like once they realize it's not your typical online FPS or TPS, but with its own charm and depth that most games don't have.

Nice to see that you're on right now. Do you have a headset at all?

im stuck at 6% using the P2P method....this sucks! i probably wont be able to play this fucken beta....the http method worked untill i got to 76%....fuck!!!!!!!!!!

I like a lot of the graphical effects the game has for when a grenade blows up in front of you and your screen is covered in dirt and for the flash grenades throwing spots on your screen, too.

bread's done
Back