Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

Eh, it's a corporation, and a Japanese corporation at that, the two things aren't known for good communication.

Best to just sleep, either way you get to play it tomorrow.

[quote name='Vanigan']Eh, it's a corporation, and a Japanese corporation at that, the two things aren't known for good communication.

Best to just sleep, either way you get to play it tomorrow.[/quote]

Yup. It might be 3 am eastern, but you'd might as well just go to bed.

[quote name='InuFaye']fuck.

Its cancelled.[/quote]

Not sure about that, but I'm still trying to make sense of it.

This time, in you to participate "METAL GEAR ONLINE PREMIERE β" [ 2008-04-21 concerning report and the future correspondence regarding 14:20 ] connected obstacles, thank you truly. Presently as for "METAL GEAR ONLINE PREMIERE β", being able to offer normal service it has become the circumstance which is not depending upon the access centralization from the entire world. Especially, serious obstacle occurs e.g., after 2008.04.21 07:00 where the beta test at European area is started, it cannot draw up the prayer. You considered this circumstance, one time discontinued the beta test execution other than Japan, for Japan after stability work of service was verified, reopening the test at each area you solved, it does. As has done applying annoyance very much, you say to apologize deeply, cooperation to the beta test, we ask to everyone who has received participation. Furthermore, you modify beta test execution schedule attendant upon the obstacle occurrence of beta test start beginning. Concerning future schedule, please verify description below. Beta test discontinuance other than Japan: 2008.04.21 15:00 execution schedule server maintenance: Undecided (changing to 2008.04.22 15:00, we communicate.) Beta test end day: 2008.05.06 24:00 -> 2008.05.11 24:00 When there is modification in schedule and the like, at this site we communicate again. [ 2008-04-21 07:50 ] follow-up story 3: We report 2008.04.21 7:50 present circumstances concerning the circumstance which is difficult to connect to the server. Intermittent by the excess of access "it failed in connection with the server", "it was cut off from network", "GAME ID is already completed login" and with the message which was said is indicated. Presently, we do the investigation and correspondence of cause. Has done putting annoyance to on everyone very much attendant upon the obstacle which occurs repeatedly, we apologize deeply. [ 2008-04-21 the urgent maintenance which we have executed we completed from news 2008.04.21 5:15 of 06:15 ] urgent maintenance ends with 2008.04.21 6:15. We apologize the fact that it does to apply inconvenience to everyone of utilization deeply. [ 2008-04-21 between news 2008.04.21 5:15-6:15 of 05:00 ] urgent maintenance executions, we execute urgent maintenance. During urgent maintenance period, the customer who presently is connected one time cutting occurs. It does to apply inconvenience and annoyance, but about understanding, we ask. [ 2008-04-21 04:30 ] follow-up story 2: We report 2008.04.21 4:00 present circumstances concerning the circumstance which is difficult to connect to the server. Because you could not see the improvement with the urgent maintenance which we execute in 2:40, investigation and correspondence of separate cause we have gone. Correspondence completion circumstance, executes urgent maintenance. Has done putting annoyance to on everyone very much attendant upon the obstacle which occurs repeatedly, we apologize. The next time, we report circumstance to 2008.04.21 5:00.

Yeah, they should have just used PSN. Hopefully this will show Konami that they have to take the online world seriously. Capcom is making good inroads into online play.

I'm pretty sure those whole Konami ID thing is part of their plan to turn MGO into a subscription or micro transaction based online game, not only will that not be received well in the US, if they're going to have trouble like this, that's a bad sign.

[quote name='Vanigan']Yeah, they should have just used PSN. Hopefully this will show Konami that they have to take the online world seriously. Capcom is making good inroads into online play.

I'm pretty sure those whole Konami ID thing is part of their plan to turn MGO into a subscription or micro transaction based online game, not only will that not be received well in the US, if they're going to have trouble like this, that's a bad sign.[/quote]

Yep that is what I am thinking. 1st they don't offer the game via the PSN and put it on the MGS4 disc. Then they make you use their service to play the game, again bypassing the PSN. That way they can do whatever they want- and charge whatever they want when the time comes.

Well, that's the problem with PSN isn't it?

It's not like Xbox Live were there are servers for the entire service, instead it's in the developers hands to own and operate servers.

Even if they had used PSN there still would have been the same problem.

Basically they dont have enough servers to handle the load. Most important part is:

" We would like to add that due to the above reasons, we will be making the following changes to the schedule:
1) Starting date: TBA. We will be making another announcement on 22/4/2008 23:00(PDT)
2) Beta Test closure: This will now be on 11/05/2008 at 24:00(PDT) rather than 06/05/2008 at 24:00(PDT)"

I just dont know what the hell is going on over at Konami.

Edit: Its late (or early depending on how you look at it). The Beta will be extended till May 11th.

Before anyone says anything, I know it's a beta. But also remember that this game has a few months to finish and rolling out a big online service like this needs a lot of work. Traditionally, Japanese game publishers aren't used to developing online game networks to this level, so the combination of those factors has me worried despite this just being a beta test.

Thankfully, it does sound like the gameplay itself works well enough under good connections. Let's just hope they get the network running stable.

And actually, the PSN service is working on a basic level. Right now konami's servers are handling everything including matchmaking. The PSN has it's own player matching via simple rooms players gather in before a game. Right now, no one can play because that basic ability to get players together is down in Konami's servers. If they'd just used the PSN, or had the PSN as an option, we could avoid that and get into the game via PSN's basic game rooms. It's not pretty since the PSN game rooms don't even have a Latency indicator or any advanced sorting, but it works.

There are benefits to using Konami's servers though, namely it allows for more stat tracking and a method for Konami to give rewards and such, things like CoD4's perks and weapon unlocks. Although no doubt there'll be monetized extras as MGO expands.

[quote name='NJMane']Basically they dont have enough servers to handle the load. Most important part is:

" We would like to add that due to the above reasons, we will be making the following changes to the schedule:
1) Starting date: TBA. We will be making another announcement on 22/4/2008 23:00(PDT)
2) Beta Test closure: This will now be on 11/05/2008 at 24:00(PDT) rather than 06/05/2008 at 24:00(PDT)"

Which clearly states that an "announcement" will be made tomorrow April 22. But also says the Beta will last until NOVEMBER 5th 2008. Seems a bit odd to extend the beta 5 months!?!?!?

I just dont know what the hell is going on over at Konami.[/QUOTE]

2) Beta Test closure: This will now be on 11/05/2008 at 24:00(PDT) rather than 06/05/2008 at 24:00(PDT)

They're using a different date format than we're used to seeing in the US.

May 11th, instead of May 6th.

[quote name='NJMane']Basically they dont have enough servers to handle the load. Most important part is:

Which clearly states that an "announcement" will be made tomorrow April 22. But also says the Beta will last until NOVEMBER 5th 2008. Seems a bit odd to extend the beta 5 months!?!?!?

I just dont know what the hell is going on over at Konami.[/QUOTE]

it's going by japan dating since it's a japan site mainly... it's really 05/11/08

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it's going by japan dating since it's a japan site mainly... it's really 05/11/08[/quote]

THE BETA ENDED 2000 YEARS AGO??? :whee:

Anyone think Konami is rnning their own servers here because of exclusivity? Sony wants this package (MGS4+MGO) so badly I bet they were willing to do anything to get it exclusive. Even if it meant handing over the keys for MGO to Konami.

I would honestly guess Sony's gonna have some major policy change after this mess online wise. Because this experience (MGO beta signup crap) is...dare I say it...worse than friend codes.

well then. i was thinking we'd at least get to login for a few minutes before everything went straight to hell.

[quote name='KingBroly']Anyone think Konami is rnning their own servers here because of exclusivity? Sony wants this package (MGS4+MGO) so badly I bet they were willing to do anything to get it exclusive. Even if it meant handing over the keys for MGO to Konami.

I would honestly guess Sony's gonna have some major policy change after this mess online wise. Because this experience (MGO beta signup crap) is...dare I say it...worse than friend codes.[/quote]

Konami wants the power to control their product, that is how I see it. I'm talking about how they are disturbing the game and its future add-ons. I could totally see them making you pay Konami via their website and ID program to get access to items that you could then download on the PSN. Or even cutting off any loss of money to the PSN Service by serving content via the game itself, just look at the p2p feature...

Lame!

But, I guess it's for the better. I was going to ditch school tomorrow to play.

Man what an utter cock up. Seriously, I know it is a beta, but this is kinda ridiculous.

It makes sense. This beta was fricken promoted like crazy from all the major blogs and gaming outlets. I don't think they were ready for the internet's big load to be sprayed right into their mouth.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Konami wants the power to control their product, that is how I see it. I'm talking about how they are disturbing the game and its future add-ons. I could totally see them making you pay Konami via their website and ID program to get access to items that you could then download on the PSN. Or even cutting off any loss of money to the PSN Service by serving content via the game itself, just look at the p2p feature...[/quote]

They're only hurting themselves. I can only hope they'll wise up and switch it over to the PSN after this (granted this is a BETA TEST, it's the most fucked up beta I've seen).

I typically buy every Metal Gear game that comes out for the sake of collecting them, but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying MGO if it continues in the same direction.

good thing they delayed the beta. If they launched it as is it would've been a disaster.
I don't know why everyone is bitching.

[quote name='Zoglog']good thing they delayed the beta. If they launched it as is it would've been a disaster.
I don't know why everyone is bitching.[/QUOTE]

Because they should have had this shit sorted out before the announced date.

Instead, they announce the delay an hour before it's supposed to launch.

[quote name='Zoglog']good thing they delayed the beta. If they launched it as is it would've been a disaster.
I don't know why everyone is bitching.[/quote] Because they basically charged everyone 5 dollars to get into it.

[quote name='Vanigan']Not really, that $5 goes towards the full game, the beta was just a perk to get you to preorder.[/quote]

I could accept that if Europe did not have an open beta. In the end it was just a way for Konami to get people to commit to the game. No other country needed to buy the Saga 2 dvd to get in the beta. So to me it make me a little mad when we are the last ones to the party and all the chips are gone.

[quote name='mykevermin']What a goddamned mess. Between two stupid, fucking, unnecessary IDs that the PSN ids should have taken care of already, you can't even fucking register for them because the website's broken like fuck.

And then there's the update. fuckin' hell, man.

My money's on this not being fixed by Monday. Nope.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='smiggity']Ill take your money on that bet...[/QUOTE]

colbertCalledIt.jpg

hey guys im from europe/ amsterdam i'll check it out for you right after work and i'll post if i can get it to play . got my konami id and stuff couple of days ago so you'll hear from me soon

ciiazzz

Damn this sucks. If you ask me, they shouldn't have had open Euro Beta. That is probably what screwed all of this up. Also, the only way to get a code should have been through preordering it. If those were done, then I think this would have went smoothly.

[quote name='cindersphere']Because they basically charged everyone 5 dollars to get into it.[/QUOTE]

what? it was 10 for me

[quote name='cindersphere']Because they basically charged everyone 5 dollars to get into it.[/quote]

There is a reason why it is called a BETA. If anyone has tested out any other Beta's they would know that there are many glitches to be had. How would you feel if you paid $59.99 or $84.99 and took the game home and the online feature was not there? This is the reasons for Betas, and now I can not wait for everyone to start bitching after it is released on how glithey the beta is. I've beta tested Socom II, Socom III, Smackdown Vs. Raw, and some other one that Sony sent me that I only played for a few minutes. All of those games had a huge improvement upon release to retail and everyone on the boards where complaining about the free beta. MGO is a free beta, the purpose of the $5.00 is for preordering and applying it to the final value of buying the game, thus the Beta is free. For those who decide to just spend $5.00 for the beta only, they technically get what they pay for, don't expect too much for a $5.00 Beta.

For someone who's beta tested so many products, you'd think you'd realize it's far too long on the development time line for a meaningful beta test. Sure, we might be able to sway some of the minor mechanics for a specific weapon or skill, but we're not really testing the product here. It's a glorified demo at this point. Maybe six months ago (Say, during August 20th through September 3rd 2007. In Japan. Limited to 3,000 people), your argument would have had more weight. But not now.

We're, at the very best, just doing stress tests on the servers. Which failed miserably.

bread's done
Back