Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

[quote name='Blackout542']Wow. Just....wow. To get the 2nd update, you need to download the first one. What.The.fuck???? Can this get any more fuckin retarded? And to top it off, I'm at like 25% on the first update, and I get a "network error has occured." This is just garbage.[/QUOTE]

Each time I try to update I get the network error. I've been trying for days now. Konami fails.

[quote name='Gamehead']Each time I try to update I get the network error. I've been trying for days now. Konami fails.[/quote]

Are you doing the p2p download? I only ask because that way is working pretty good for me. I've been upwards of 30 kb/s

[quote name='Blackout542']Wow. Just....wow. To get the 2nd update, you need to download the first one. What.The.fuck???? Can this get any more fuckin retarded? And to top it off, I'm at like 25% on the first update, and I get a "network error has occured." This is just garbage.[/quote]

wow.. that totally blows b/c my bro hasn't updated yet.. and uh yeah that's gonna take a damn long time =/

[quote name='Blackout542']Wow. Just....wow. To get the 2nd update, you need to download the first one. What.The.fuck???? Can this get any more fuckin retarded? And to top it off, I'm at like 25% on the first update, and I get a "network error has occured." This is just garbage.[/quote]

Yeah I don't know if you know anything about opening/forwarding the ports on your router, but I get 120-180 KB/s with the peer to peer with DMZ on my PS3s IP address. If that doesn't make any sense look it up, cause if you set it up right, your games will run smoother when you play online.

See you all tomorrow night.

Beta is now live in Japan. I've played a few rounds and wasn't very impressed. Overall, the game just isn't very exciting. The maps that I've seen only draw colors the infamous dark green/brown palate and are generic looking.

The only interesting part so far is using the cardboard box to hide yourself. Seems like the only thing worth mentioning. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer, but you'll probably just want to try yourself tomorrow.

MGS4.gif

[quote name='MSUHitman']You have to go into account management then redeem code. The number is on the slip of paper in your pre-order DVD.[/quote]

yeah, thanks dude, i thought you DL the beta first and then activate it using the code :lol:

[quote name='CheapyD']Beta is now live in Japan. I've played a few rounds and wasn't very impressed. Overall, the game just isn't very exciting. The maps that I've seen only draw colors the infamous dark green/brown palate and are generic looking.

The only interesting part so far is using the cardboard box to hide yourself. Seems like the only thing worth mentioning. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer, but you'll probably just want to try yourself tomorrow.[/quote]

If I download the Beta from JPN account, do you think I could play it?

I started to update (1st update) Metal Gear Online last night at 10:00pm its now 7:30am and its only at 51%....

Man this is a pain in the ass did it take this long for anyone else? My downloads for anything else is fine its only MGO that is lagging.

[quote name='dallow']People feel the pacing is too slow. But it isn't a run and gun game at all.[/quote]

You know, I was thinking that might be part of the problem.

But is it also maybe that Metal Gear is a great singleplayer experience, and simply doesn't translate as well to a multiplayer? How does it work, anyways? Mostly team deathmatch? Capture the flag?

Just seems like that doesn't really capture what's best about Metal Gear. So any multiplayer mode would seem to only appeal to serious fans of the genre, and yet at once could be said to not appease them.

All speculation on my part - I haven't touched the thing, and have only seen a few videos.

[quote name='dallow']People feel the pacing is too slow. But it isn't a run and gun game at all.

I'm glad to hear the game runs at 60fps though.[/quote]I was wrong, it's actually 30fps.

[quote name='zengonzo']You know, I was thinking that might be part of the problem.

But is it also maybe that Metal Gear is a great singleplayer experience, and simply doesn't translate as well to a multiplayer? How does it work, anyways? Mostly team deathmatch? Capture the flag?

Just seems like that doesn't really capture what's best about Metal Gear. So any multiplayer mode would seem to only appeal to serious fans of the genre, and yet at once could be said to not appease them.

All speculation on my part - I haven't touched the thing, and have only seen a few videos.[/quote]
It's a more touch and go, tactical game.
But it does work. This isn't the first time MG has been online. (like the 3rd time now) and there quite a few that enjoy it. I know I do.

[quote name='zengonzo']

[/quote] I think you are probably right. Taking a slowly paced stealth action game and turning it into an multiplayer 3rd person shooter is not an easy task. There is hardly any stealth left and the shooting mechanics aren't strong enough to stand on their own. In fact, they cram the Metal Gear weapons selection system into the game, and its just something that doesn't work very well in an online match. Imagine, in the heat of a battle, trying to quickly select your grenades by cycling through the R1 button (or holding it down and using the stick). The game is not terrible, but I just don't think many will choose this over better mulitiplayer offerings.

I doubt that anyone is buying MGS4 for the online mode, so I guess it's not too important. I also get the feeling that if this didn't have the Metal Gear branding, very few would be into it at all.

Yes, there are deathmatch modes and variations of capture the flag. Standard fare, it seems.
In case you were wondering, your friends list is not tied to your PSN account, it's separate.

[quote name='CheapyD']I think you are probably right. Taking a slowly paced stealth action game and turning it into an multiplayer 3rd person shooter is not an easy task. There is hardly any stealth left and the shooting mechanics aren't strong enough to stand on their own. In fact, they cram the Metal Gear weapons selection system into the game, and its just something that doesn't work very well in an online match. It's not terrible, but I just don't think many will choose this over better mulitiplayer offerings.

I doubt that anyone is buying MGS4 for the online mode, so I guess it's not too important. I also get the feeling that if this didn't have the Metal Gear branding, very few would be into it at all.

Yes, there are deathmatch modes and variations of capture the flag. Standard fare, it seems.
In case you were wondering, your friends list is not tied to your PSN account, it's separate.[/quote]

I just played and beat the first MSG a week ago, so I am a fairly new fan. I just played about 6-7 matches on the beta, it's a lot of fun. Nothing new here but fun. It'll make the $60 for MGS4 an easier pill to swallow, a single player only game has got to be Bioshock good for a full price purchase. Your "Frank" theory about the MGO is most accurate.

Just noticed they've updated the site:

1) Start date: Planned for 04/26/2008 00:00(PDT). While the start is planned for the weekend, it may change due to unforseen circumstances.

So now it's clearer, but at this point we've already figured it out, since it hasn't started yet. Hopefully I'll get to play when I come back Sunday night.

So which name do you add to your friends list in the game.
Is the Game ID, or MGO avatar name?
Damn, I can't wait to get home.

Just got on for a bit to make a character and play around with the controls. I sure wish I didn't have a meeting this morning because uh, I think I might be coming down with something.

[quote name='mrelusive']I'm guessing you never saw her teeth? :whistle2:#[/quote]

I did.

It increased my lust 10fold.

God the wait is going to kill me.

[quote name='mnine']Yeah I don't know if you know anything about opening/forwarding the ports on your router, but I get 120-180 KB/s with the peer to peer with DMZ on my PS3s IP address. If that doesn't make any sense look it up, cause if you set it up right, your games will run smoother when you play online.

See you all tomorrow night.[/quote]

All my games run smooth. The only time I've ever had problems is because of the game side of things (RSV2, COD4, and this piece of shit Beta). Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just tried out the drum can, which is nice. Roll too much with it and you'll end up puking. :lol:

Edit: Strange. It was giving me server issues for a sec, but now it's working again.

[quote name='Scorch']I cannot fucking update my game. It just hangs forever at 0% "downloading.."

What the hell?[/quote]

What downloading method are you using?

[quote name='InuFaye']Is there two patches I have to download?

I downloaded one on sunday night, do I have to get another?[/quote]

Yes, there are two patches. But the second goes real fast.

Also, how do you join a friends game? This is kinda confusing.

bread's done
Back