Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

If anyone could give me a hand, I haven't played a single MGS game before (!). Therefore, I don't know what the lack of bonus discs will do. How significant is the missed content and are there any MGS gameplay quirks I may need to know about that may turn me off? I know that MGO of Subsistence is out, but I don't have the network adapter so that's null for me. Wikipedia doesn't help in that it fuses all the content together without telling what's separate.

Is MGS 1 on 2 discs like it was on PS1? I know its not a port, but I haven't seen any confirmation that its on 2 discs. Don't see why it wouldn't be, but who knows it could've been compressed onto 1 disc?

Hmm just curious, could you connect MGO using LAN? Have a copy of subsistence back at my apartment *is at home atm*, and I never played with that feature...

and I just ordered the collection of amazon.

[quote name='NightNinja7']Hmm just curious, could you connect MGO using LAN? Have a copy of subsistence back at my apartment *is at home atm*, and I never played with that feature...

and I just ordered the collection of amazon.[/QUOTE]

you cant as the server got shut down.

[quote name='ddrpower']If anyone could give me a hand, I haven't played a single MGS game before (!). Therefore, I don't know what the lack of bonus discs will do. How significant is the missed content and are there any MGS gameplay quirks I may need to know about that may turn me off? I know that MGO of Subsistence is out, but I don't have the network adapter so that's null for me. Wikipedia doesn't help in that it fuses all the content together without telling what's separate.[/quote]

I haven't played the series either but from what I've heard, losing the bonus discs isn't that big unless you're a big time Metal Gear fan looking for a collection that has EVERYTHING. Just play the games included in the collection in order (MGS1->MGS2->MGS3) and you should have a good handle on the story and be able to follow MGS4 if you want to play that. At the budget price, this is a great collection for people who have never played Metal Gear before.

Wow, I can't believe I actually went in and pre-ordered this game today. (I actually went into EB hoping they had received a shipment of copies in....but no luck). I would advise (just on a gut feeling like many others) that if you are interested in this game, then you should try and pick it up near release date. Probably will be a limited print. More Limited than the even supposed "Limited Editions' of games we got nowadays.

Is it possible to import the 20th anniversary from japan, and play it on an american PS2? Or do I need to mod it(willing to do for imports) and would it be in english also?

[quote name='hec204']Is it possible to import the 20th anniversary from japan, and play it on an american PS2? Or do I need to mod it(willing to do for imports) and would it be in english also?[/quote]

You can import, yes, but it will not play on an unmodded US PS2. Typically in Japan, the initial release of a Metal Gear Solid game used Japanese voices, and the "director's cut" (e.g. Integral, Substance, Subsistence) used the American voices, but retained all the Japanese text and subtitles. I don't know which version is in the Japanese set, but it will not have English text.

[quote name='espy605']You can import, yes, but it will not play on an unmodded US PS2. Typically in Japan, the initial release of a Metal Gear Solid game used Japanese voices, and the "director's cut" (e.g. Integral, Substance, Subsistence) used the American voices, but retained all the Japanese text and subtitles. I don't know which version is in the Japanese set, but it will not have English text.[/quote]
I pretty much have the whole story memorized so I know what will be going on, and I already have the stuff to mod my PS2, swap magic and etc, but importing it will be a difficult thing to do.

[quote name='ddrpower']If anyone could give me a hand, I haven't played a single MGS game before (!). Therefore, I don't know what the lack of bonus discs will do. How significant is the missed content and are there any MGS gameplay quirks I may need to know about that may turn me off? I know that MGO of Subsistence is out, but I don't have the network adapter so that's null for me. Wikipedia doesn't help in that it fuses all the content together without telling what's separate.[/QUOTE]

You'll have more than your plate full with the three games alone, let alone with any of the bonus content that may or may not be included. I don't think anyone felt any one of the games were particularly brief in gameplay, let alone all three games combined. The bonus content was added to give people who bought the game originally some reason to buy the substance and subsistence re-releases...They were nice add ons but they were not key elements the games or storyline.

Most annoying MGS gameplay quirk...The X and O button values are reversed from the US norm in regards to menus...X backs you out of menus while pressing O makes you proceed to the next layer of the menu. This is actually the way they work on Japanese market PS1/PS2 games and and while other companies always switch it for the US, MGS games have always kept it the same as Japanese games for their US releases. Others might say the long codec conversations about nuclear proliferation and various other random topics that some of the characters yammer on and on about gets a bit old after a while. Sometime you have a 30 second codec message...other times is like 7 minutes long.

[quote name='K_G']You'll have more than your plate full with the three games alone, let alone with any of the bonus content that may or may not be included. I don't think anyone felt any one of the games were particularly brief in gameplay, let alone all three games combined. The bonus content was added to give people who bought the game originally some reason to buy the substance and subsistence re-releases...They were nice add ons but they were not key elements the games or storyline.

Most annoying MGS gameplay quirk...The X and O button values are reversed from the US norm in regards to menus...X backs you out of menus while pressing O makes you proceed to the next layer of the menu. This is actually the way they work on Japanese market PS1/PS2 games and and while other companies always switch it for the US, MGS games have always kept it the same as Japanese games for their US releases. Others might say the long codec conversations about nuclear proliferation and various other random topics that some of the characters yammer on and on about gets a bit old after a while. Sometime you have a 30 second codec message...other times is like 7 minutes long.[/quote]

Great information, thanks. I'm actually used to the X/O switching from various games, not too hard to adapt. Hopefully Codecs can be sped ahead by reading. I was referring more to some quirk like trying to take cover with an odd button, or the perspective screwing up your sense of controls, but I guess the games wouldn't be popular if that was the case. Thanks.

[quote name='ddrpower']Great information, thanks. I'm actually used to the X/O switching from various games, not too hard to adapt. Hopefully Codecs can be sped ahead by reading. I was referring more to some quirk like trying to take cover with an odd button, or the perspective screwing up your sense of controls, but I guess the games wouldn't be popular if that was the case. Thanks.[/quote]
Yea It's pretty easy to get used to, but once I lent the game to a friend and he didn't play the game for 2 whole days till I told him how to control the menus, I was laughing so hard when he told me my game was broken.

I think it is actually Nintendo's standard to keep the Japanese way across the board nowadays (except on a Nintendo layout it is B/A not X/O). At least that's how it is with every DS game I've bought. It is a real pain when switching from playing my DS to playing my PSP/PS3/360 and then back again, but I cope. Just offering some encouragement to people put off by the controls I guess?

[quote name='Lost Loser']Also, since I'm new to the series, I've noticed something pretty obvious about it:[/QUOTE]

I'd say the chances are very good, but keep in mind two things:
1) MGS Integral did not come out in the US on the PSX, but its features were included in the version released on PC in the US.
2) MGS4: Double Dip Edition may or may not happen, given the focus of Konami on MG Online.

I just got an email from Amazon saying they've changed the expected shipping date to March 25th. Anybody else get this email? I guess it's an indication of how scarce this things going to be.

[quote name='depascal22']Are Best Best, Circuit City, and Target gonna carry this or is it gonna be a Lamestop only type thing like Subsistence LE?[/quote]

I'm also looking for B&M retailer to pick this up from. Any insights? I'd assume I could find it at one of the usual suspects sometime within the next few days.

[quote name='Malice']I just got an email from Amazon saying they've changed the expected shipping date to March 25th. Anybody else get this email? I guess it's an indication of how scarce this things going to be.[/quote]

Me too :(, I was looking forward to play it this week, oh well

Yeah, sucks. But at least with Amazon you save money off of taxes and shipping fees. It almost makes the wait tolerable. Almost.

[quote name='Morphine']Me too :(, I was looking forward to play it this week, oh well[/quote]

Same here. They also have put my Crisis Core guide on order indefinitely. But for $11 I can't complain since they just bumped the price to $22-23.

[quote name='eau']I just placed an order at Amazon since this collection appeared in my gold box. $28.49 shipped. Perfect![/quote]

What is your estimated ship date?

I pre-ordered from Amazon on Feb. 11th and my shipping date is March 25th! :bomb:

[quote name='Hockey37']I'm also looking for B&M retailer to pick this up from. Any insights? I'd assume I could find it at one of the usual suspects sometime within the next few days.[/quote]

To help answer my own question, I called GS and they said they should be receiving some this afternoon with their shipment. Gonna try Target too and try to use the $5 coupon to help cover taxes.

I'll be dropping by Gamestop after work. I guess I will preorder it if they don't already have it. I don't wanna get ripped on ebay if there is a short supply.

[quote name='hothitter']Fry's has it in their ad for $27.99 available today @ noon.[/quote]

San Jose ad says available tomorrow by noon. DAMN, was hoping to pick it up today.

So, people who actually got this set, can you confirm for me that Metal Gear and Solid Snake were not included? Unless they magically showed up, I'm thinking I'll pick up a copy of this collection and then a complete copy of Subsistence, then sell the extra main game disc for MGS3 I would end up with. I'm going to have to wait until after my birthday though (this Friday), because I hate upping the chances of getting a gift I already have.

[quote name='Lost Loser']So, people who actually got this set, can you confirm for me that Metal Gear and Solid Snake were not included? Unless they magically showed up, I'm thinking I'll pick up a copy of this collection and then a complete copy of Subsistence, then sell the extra main game disc for MGS3 I would end up with. I'm going to have to wait until after my birthday though (this Friday), because I hate upping the chances of getting a gift I already have.[/QUOTE]

for what its worth, IGN and 1up have confirmed it

[quote name='expane']for what its worth, IGN and 1up have confirmed it[/quote]

Darn, I guess I'm just going through with my plan then.

[quote name='prateeko']Target $5 off $25 is a better deal, no?[/quote]
10% off $30, is $3. $5 off $25, is $5 off. 5 > 3, so target wins.

I went to four stores to get this game. The best buy near me is only getting four copies in on the 25th, Circuit City had nothing (no sales people and only old ass games), the gamestop in the mall only got 3 in and all of them were preorders, and luckily another gamestop down the road in a weird location had five in and I bought one of them. Unfortunately, I can't confirm or deny what is included in this set. I'm keeping this bad boy sealed.

Man, I already have MGS2:Substance and MGS3:Subsistence yet I'm still debating about getting this. I don't have MGS though and the pic's look pretty nice.

[quote name='prateeko']Why? It's not like it's going to be worth anything.[/QUOTE]

Metal Gear is actually a very collectable series, aside from the normal versions of 2 and 3. Seeing how this is pretty much unadvertised and how retailers are getting fairly limited shipments, I bet the game sells out before 4 comes out, then shoots up in value once it does.

For those that really want it - Amazon and gamestop still have it available online

I'm getting it as a way to consolidate my previous games.

Just picked it up using the 10% off coupon, pretty nice art on the cover, unfortunately I can't play it yet since my PS2 isn't here yet(USPS takes forever)

bread's done
Back