Metroid: Other M - The CAG Thread

No footage yet, but Nintendo posted some new screenshots on the official site:
Heh Heh, Remember him?

* Metroid™: Other M, the incredible new Metroid game developed for Wii through a collaboration by Nintendo and the world-renowned Team Ninja, launches June 27. The game looks at the classic franchise from a new perspective: While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran’s past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote™ controller held sideways to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages.

I can't help being wary of this game. I'm just not a fan of Ninja Gaiden difficulty, and somehow even with the interview specifically addressing this point, I'm not convinced that they will resist making it a slog.

I think the ability to switch between 2D and 3D perspectives is a great middle ground for old-school fans and those new to the series/who were introduced through the Prime games like myself.

I just hope its not as clunky as Super Paper Mario handled it, but from the sounds of it, you can switch views anytime and you're not limited by area/time/surroundings.

Summer is going to be so awesome.

Can't wait for this. While I wasn't really introduced to Metroid until Prime, I never got into it and much prefer the 2D versions.

However, I think I might hold off on this until a B2G1. I have a list of like 19 games I want to get that just goes to Sept (Epic Mickey).

[quote name='Broken Scout']I just hope its not as clunky as Super Paper Mario handled it, but from the sounds of it, you can switch views anytime and you're not limited by area/time/surroundings.[/QUOTE]

Dammit! Beat me to it. It sounds like Super Paper Mario: Samus Edition. That said, I was very skeptical when I first heard the Metroid series was heading away from 2-D with the Primes and wasn't sold on the First Person Adventure control scheme until I actually played it, but now I consider the Prime Trilogy to be some of the best games I've ever played, so I'll hold my tongue until I've played through it.

Team Ninja and Nintendo, please make the actual gameplay as cool as that E3 2009 trailer made it seem.

Love,

A Metroid Superfan

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what would make my day, Nintendo announcing the Metroid Other M would be released in an purple case, kinda like the red case in NSMBW.

[quote name='Josh5890']You know what would make my day, Nintendo announcing the Metroid Other M would be released in an purple case, kinda like the red case in NSMBW.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they could buy up Halo 3 Legendary stock and repaint the helmets. They'd have to make them a little more hardcore and less BMX racer though.

Impressions are up at IGN, now that the embargo is up.

This is all you need to know:

I'm glad that the introduction irons out exactly where this sits in the Metroid canon: it's a "sequel" to Super Metroid.

I am not even joking - this is the best gaming news I've heard in years, short of "Mother 4 is in development, along with Mothers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...."

Now, whether it lives up to that shall be seen, but holy fuck. The sheer thought of a Super Metroid sequel. Arguably my second or third favorite game of all time, and easily the best action game I've ever played. You people have whined about 2D Metroid for the last three console iterations? Shut the hell up. Your whining is my prayer, and my prayer has been answered.

team ninja did AMAZING on the first NG. If they are working on this, I would expect nothing but gold.

I love everything metroid and was the ONLY reason I bought a Wii. This will probably force me to sweep the cobwebs from my unused system

[quote name='Strell']Now, whether it lives up to that shall be seen, but holy fuck. The sheer thought of a Super Metroid sequel.[/QUOTE]
It's already out, it's called Shadow Complex.

[quote name='pete5883']It's already out, it's called Shadow Complex.[/QUOTE]

I know you're being serious, and this is what is so hilarious about what you are saying.

This is either the funniest joke I've ever seen or the worst troll in the history of mankind.

Shadow Complex sucks

Shadow Complex was good, but would have been a lot better without the 3d environments. Where you would have to fight with the controls to shoot in the direction the enemy is in.

I also remember the controls being a little bit clunky, hopefully the controls get improved a bit if the game gets a sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshots look great! Love Samus' short haired look. I'm a little wary of the 2D/3D mechanic, but playing Metroid on the sideways Wiimote sounds like a treat.

[quote name='pete5883']I feel so bad for you guys.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, it cannot match how bad I feel for you. It's like someone calling me up and telling me Taco Bell has amazing Mexican food, and then shaking their head when I tell them that they are crazy.

I have to admit that I have never really played any Metroid games, at least not for very long. I tried one of the GBA ones and hated it. Too many "find the invisible path" moments for my taste. I did play Metroid Prime on the Gamecube for maybe 15 minutes, but never bothered to play further. I'd be more interested in that in the upgraded controls Wii version, but I haven't quite bothered to get that either, and now it's out of print. That Other M is 2D will probably make this my first real Metroid game. Then again, I'm sure I should get Super Metroid on the VC and play that now. Ok, Ok. I think I'll finally give this series a try, so that will be my first real Metroid.

EDIT: I tried the Shadow Complex demo and couldn't see what the fuss was about. I didn't care for it. I do understand that the full game is better, or at least that's what people say, but I often find that not to be the case, in fact the opposite. Case in point: 'Splosion Man, a game that I liked in the demo, but once I got the full game... I didn't manage to get out of world 1 before stopping playing it. In fact I thought maybe there was no world 2 and that was some annoying little joke. I come to find there is a world 2 and 3 and that's an even bigger joke, I think.

if you had a problem with the "invisible path" in the GBA version, the original nintendo version is about 10X worse. super nintendo one was much easier in that regard

[quote name='kurrptsenate']if you had a problem with the "invisible path" in the GBA version, the original nintendo version is about 10X worse. super nintendo one was much easier in that regard[/QUOTE]

I always thought the huge pit in the first one never got the hate it deserved.

Unfortunately, it's not.

Shadow Complex is just an immitator, not the real deal. WITH THAT SAID, I really enjoyed it- but more of an appitizer until the wait ends for the next Metroid/Castlevania.

Castlevania can stand shoulder to shoulder with Metroid though, IMO.

[quote name='foltzie']I always thought the huge pit in the first one never got the hate it deserved.[/QUOTE]

That pit was the worst. I played the original Metroid when I was 5-6 (I am 22 now), and I remember how frustrating it was! UGH!

[quote name='crunchewy']I have to admit that I have never really played any Metroid games, at least not for very long. I tried one of the GBA ones and hated it. Too many "find the invisible path" moments for my taste. I did play Metroid Prime on the Gamecube for maybe 15 minutes, but never bothered to play further. I'd be more interested in that in the upgraded controls Wii version, but I haven't quite bothered to get that either, and now it's out of print. That Other M is 2D will probably make this my first real Metroid game. Then again, I'm sure I should get Super Metroid on the VC and play that now. Ok, Ok. I think I'll finally give this series a try, so that will be my first real Metroid.

EDIT: I tried the Shadow Complex demo and couldn't see what the fuss was about. I didn't care for it. I do understand that the full game is better, or at least that's what people say, but I often find that not to be the case, in fact the opposite. Case in point: 'Splosion Man, a game that I liked in the demo, but once I got the full game... I didn't manage to get out of world 1 before stopping playing it. In fact I thought maybe there was no world 2 and that was some annoying little joke. I come to find there is a world 2 and 3 and that's an even bigger joke, I think.[/QUOTE]

Super Metroid is probally the single best example of cohesive game design in a game. A masterpeice to say the least.

Shadow Complex was good, but it can't live up to Metroid. Part of the lure of Metroid is the sci-fi, alien setting, unlike S.Complex which had a military/not so distant future setting. I thought it was pretty "sterile" from a setting standpoint.

saw this at another site

original.jpg

Wow, until I saw that pic, I had no idea that the Wii was not much more graphically powerful than the GameCube. Totally breaking news. Not at all something that's been hashed out over and over again for the last three years.

Why all the hate for Shadow Complex? Sure the story wasn't great, but mechanically and structurally the game was excellent. I would be thrilled if Metroid: Other M turns out as well as Shadow Complex. Currently, I'm cautiously optimistic based on what has been described. I loved the old Metroids,the GBA versions, and the original Metroid Prime. Prime 2 was ok, but the light/dark mechanic kind of ruined it for me. I didn't finish Prime 3 because I really disliked the controls.

I can honestly say that I was hoping that Konami & Nintendo were watching the success of Shadow Complex, and we would receive new 2D Castlevania & Metroid games via WiiWare, Live, or PSN (the latter two only applicable to Castlevania). I'm sick of 2D castlevania and metroid being stick on handhelds. It was okay when they were GBA and I could use the GC Gameboy player, but with no way to play DS games using a full size controller & monitor the banishment to handhelds has made me sad.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think that's really a fair comparison since it's the Power Suit versus the Varia Suit.[/QUOTE]

Both are the Varia suit, no?

Rounded shoulders = Varia?

Glad to know the graphics thing is never going to go away.

And IMO, shadow complex was good, I really liked it (though the 3D shooting wasn't really that great), but it was no metroid.

[quote name='Jasonofindy']Why all the hate for Shadow Complex? [/QUOTE]

You're in a Nintendo tread praising a MS game. :D

Wow. If this was as good as Shadow Complex, it would be the worst in the series by far, unless we found out there was some super secret CD-I game from 1993 or something where Samus was poorly animated by the drunkards that did the Zelda titles from that era. She'd need a really bad catchphrase too. Like when a Metroid attacked her, she'd say "This sure suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!"

SC is clearly inspired. But the controls were not nearly as fluid, the story was horrible, there weren't nearly enough bosses/minibosses, few enemy types, and the world was not nearly as seamless. I'd go into how the aiming mechanic and usage of foreground objects needlessly complicated the gameplay, but I'm guessing teh hardkorz would whine about that.

I did like punching people across the whole screen. I never got tired of that, and elected to not use guns after a while because I found that part so funny.

[quote name='Strell']SC is clearly inspired. But the controls were not nearly as fluid, the story was horrible, there weren't nearly enough bosses/minibosses, few enemy types, and the world was not nearly as seamless. I'd go into how the aiming mechanic and usage of foreground objects needlessly complicated the gameplay, but I'm guessing teh hardkorz would whine about that.

I did like punching people across the whole screen. I never got tired of that, and elected to not use guns after a while because I found that part so funny.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I guess it's been so long since a real Metroid that I've forgotten. I thought the 3D aiming was fun though, even though it was a little tougher to do than it should've been. But story? Really? It was barely there, and no one plays Metroidvanias for story.

I don't want to get into it any more than I have to, but you had Orson Scott Card listed as the writer. Ender's Game is great stuff (and I even enjoyed Speaker for the Dead, and for those playing at home and keeping score, The Dig), so I was hoping for at least the semblance of a good narrative.

Instead, I get this hilariously bad opening, with a girl taking a dood on a hike that she met in a bar the night before, at a public place infested with technology and military doods, and I'm supposed to agree that somehow this is the best choice for a covert operation. Then it just fumbles into a generic evil underground corporation bent on taking over. I mean there has to be deus ex machina at play here, sure, so this army doesn't waste the girl immediately or send their entire forces after NathanDrakeAsNotNathanDrake, but come on.

They should have stripped all that out and just let me run around blowing shit up in a base. Get the girl at the end, because that's my only motivation, and skip all the nonsense in the middle. Remove it entirely and it feels better than some vestigial hangnail digging into my cuticle.

You're not playing Metroid for story, no. I'll agree to that. And the first two are practically devoid of it. But Super Metroid and on has had an incredible amount of narrative. It was not explicitly stated for the most part, but scanning enemies in the Prime games could tell you history galore. Sequences in Super Metroid dripped with atmosphere and powerful communication.

Walking in and grabbing the morph ball in Super Metroid, and those sensors immediately begin to follow you around? Still gives me chills - they know you're there. THAT is brilliant storytelling, and without the use of dialogue or cut scenes even.

Whether or not Other M is going to pull this off in a way that doesn't sound like cheesy anime is up in the air. But now we're just getting off point.

[quote name='Corvin']You're in a Nintendo tread praising a MS game. :D[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't matter what forum this is in. Why should it matter whether the game is on a Nintendo, MS, or Sony platform? In any case I didn't bring Shadow Complex up, I just inquired into why it garnered so much hate in this thread when someone brought it up earlier. I then went on to state that I thought its success could be a plus for those like me who like the 2D Metroid/Castlevania games.

As always, Strell is welcome to his opinion about the game. I agree with him about the weak story, but completely disagree with him about the gameplay. From the reviews it looks like I'm not alone. Personally, I liked the 2D/3D element, the controls, and the level design in Shadow Complex. I like Metroid for the exploration, not the combat so the lack of minibosses in Shadow Complex also didn't bother me. I do find it a little sad that Strell has to label any who disagree with him as " teh hardkorz" (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean). I came into this thread originally to state I was cautiously optimistic about Metroid: Other M, and I still am.

... Yeah, the video of that fight sequence is making me think this game will be more Gaiden and less Metroid.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing. I'm just thinking that like God of War, or Ninja Gaiden, or Bayonetta, I'll probably just watch someone else play it, rather than play it myself.

[quote name='Cao Cao']
(SPOILER WARNING: Ending of Super Metroid)
[/QUOTE]

Appreciate that, I actually missed out on Super Metroid, will likely be playing it after I wrap up Shadow of the Colossus.

Idea of switching between 2D and 3D is really bumming me out. Constantly scanning for stuff annoyed the hell out of me on the Prime series and now this.

[quote name='KingBroly']There's a new trailer out. It has no gameplay. The voice acting seems better than what was shown.[/QUOTE]

I watched that trailer. I think they mistook the voice acting though, and instead
put on Arod the video game. I was young and naive!!!!
;)

Since the Metroid Prime Trilogy got a special edition (metal case in particular), do you think that Metroid Other M and Super Mario Galaxy 2 have a chance to be treated the same way? I am thinking no... but I hope I am wrong...

bread's done
Back