Metroid: Other M - The CAG Thread

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Since the Metroid Prime Trilogy got a special edition (metal case in particular), do you think that Metroid Other M and Super Mario Galaxy 2 have a chance to be treated the same way? I am thinking no... but I hope I am wrong...[/QUOTE]

They never do it for stand alone games.

This would've been HORRIBLE:

http://kotaku.com/5491158/metroid-other-m-might-have-been-on+rails-if-not-for-team-ninja

Yoshio Sakamoto, the Metroid co-creator and WarioWare producer, says that his latest game, Metroid: Other M, was originally planned to be an on-rails adventure. If that sounds like Metroid sacrilege to you, thank co-developer Team Ninja for changing Sakamoto's mind.

Sakamoto said at his Game Developers Conference session "From Metroid to Tomodachi Collection to WarioWare: Different Approaches for Different Audiences" that there was one design decision he was "unable to budge on" during the development of Metroid: Other M. The Wii game would be controlled only with the Wii Remote.

"I thought Samus should move along a set path," Sakamoto said. "That's right. Samus would be moving along a rail, as long as the camera angle was capable of keeping up with the action." That's a fairly substantial change for a game known for its open-ended exploration.

When Team Ninja chimed in on Other M's control scheme, staffers suggested using the Nunchuk as well. Sakamoto wouldn't budge.

"They understood my reason immediately," he said, so"they proposed a full 3D map, where Samus could move to other points with the control pad." When the time came for Sakamoto to test Team Ninja's proposed control scheme, "It was perfect."

We'll all be able to test out Team Ninja and Nintendo's control compromise when Metroid: Other M ships for the Wii this June.

From today's GDC lecture by Sakamoto, brought to you by gonintendo:

"As most of you know, there was a Metroid presentation at GDC 2010. We all thought there would be some Other M talk, and it looks like there was. Apparently, a new video was shown...or at least, a partially new video.

The video starts right at the end of Super Metroid where the giant Metroid grabs the last boss, complete with 2D sprites. In the middle the graphics suddenly switch and show the scene in 3D and Samus’ perspective. In 3D, the one eyed boss spews fire, the giant Metroid explodes, Samus falls to the ground, faces the player, and shoots.

The video I saw at the Nintendo media summit dealt with the giant Metroid and the final boss, but there was nothing like this 2D sprite to 3D graphics switch. Looks like someone at Nintendo has been doing some editing!"

Man, I really want to see this video! :D

[quote name='KingBroly']This would've been HORRIBLE:

http://kotaku.com/5491158/metroid-other-m-might-have-been-on+rails-if-not-for-team-ninja[/QUOTE]

Actually, as pointed out on GAF, it's not as bad as it sounds, since a lot of folks are mis-interpreting Sakamoto's words.* From the sound of it, the original design for Other M was for it to be a 2.5D side-scroller, sort of like Klonoa. Of course, Team Ninja had something else in mind and were able to convince Sakamoto to agree to a compromise.

[size=-2]*No thanks to Mcwhertor's bad headline and exploration comment, which makes it sound like it would be a rail shooter.[/size]

[quote name='KingBroly']Yeah, I read that. But I still don't think I like the concept of Klonoa Metroid.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Metroid Fusion.

Trailer made me ruin the Samus panties I'm wearing that I bought from Sears a few weeks ago.

Oh well, I got several backup pairs.

Wow, looks awesome. Samus' boobs are looking a little big, otherwise it looks like they're staying true to the series. I will have to show this to my husband and blow his mind.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']The prime games were great, but this is the metroid game I've been waiting for.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I didn't get into Prime 1. I have the collection but haven't gotten to playing it (hoping the Wii controls make it more enjoyable). But this looks awesome. Like Super Metroid on a modern console. I was going to save this for a B2G1 just because I have a big back log, but not anymore. Day 1 purchase.

[quote name='icedrake523']Agreed. I didn't get into Prime 1. I have the collection but haven't gotten to playing it (hoping the Wii controls make it more enjoyable). But this looks awesome. Like Super Metroid on a modern console. I was going to save this for a B2G1 just because I have a big back log, but not anymore. Day 1 purchase.[/QUOTE]

The controls made all the difference for me, give it a try =P

I am tempted to pick this game up, if Amazon throws out a giftcard for it like they did Mario I may just have to get it. Metroid games seem like one of the few that do drop in price from Nintendo .... Prime 3 did anyway, Trilogy didn't stay alive long enough to.

The only problem I had with the Prime games (GC & Wii versions) was the beam switching to open doors. In older Metroid titles, when you open a door once, it becomes blue for the rest of the game. Sure, they were missile/super missile/power bomb doors in those games, but it kept things moving in the late game.

Also, the running and gunning looks awesome.

[quote name='Kaoz']The controls made all the difference for me, give it a try =P [/quote]
I plan on it. I just haven't gotten around to it with 8 other games still sealed. Plus I leave my Wii at home.

I am tempted to pick this game up, if Amazon throws out a giftcard for it like they did Mario I may just have to get it. Metroid games seem like one of the few that do drop in price from Nintendo .... Prime 3 did anyway, Trilogy didn't stay alive long enough to.
I'll be using my $20 GC from SMG2 on this; credit or no credit. $80 for it and SMG2 is pretty good.

Wow I was a little uncertain after hearing about the switching between 3rd-person and 1st-person (plus no moving in 1st-person), but that trailer sold me.

What does the voice say at the end?

Trailer looks good. I can't help but think that every Wii game that looks interesting would be so much better with HD graphics. I know graphics don't make a game but still...

I just saw the game play trailer and I am officially sold. I liked the fps style to an extent in the recent Metroid games, but this is definitely an ode to old school Metroid which I am all about.

I shall be the contrarian, I'm still not sold in the sense I dont quite understand how the controls will work. I assume a shot at a demo or in store kiosk will sell me, but right now it almost seems more like a Classic Castlevania game instead of a branching Metroid world.

[quote name='foltzie']I shall be the contrarian, I'm still not sold in the sense I dont quite understand how the controls will work. I assume a shot at a demo or in store kiosk will sell me, but right now it almost seems more like a Classic Castlevania game instead of a branching Metroid world.[/QUOTE]

?

It's the wiimote... not like a dualshock. What part didn't you get from the video?

[quote name='xycury']?

It's the wiimote... not like a dualshock. What part didn't you get from the video?[/QUOTE]

How the transitions along the third (or 2.5) dimension work.

I think foltzie is talking about moving Samus around. I need to rewatch the trailer, but at some point, she's kind of in this murky bog swamp place, and it appears that she goes from running -> FPS visor -> running, only after the visor, she seems to change paths.

I could be wrong though.

[quote name='foltzie']How the transitions along the third (or 2.5) dimension work.[/QUOTE]

I would guess that the sensor bar, or wiimote picked up the single?

and from the video I would guess too that moving in FPS Visor mode isn't possible since there was NO movement while in that mode.

So it would be 3rd person metroidvania to 1st Rail Shooter.

I still have an open question on targeting in 3rd person, if it's automatic or if there is a lock on button. Certainly the video didn't show it to be that difficult to do.

The Japanese Gameplay trailer. There's a few things here not in the American version (and vice versa).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIS1mSxmS4

A couple of things
- We might be fighting Mother Brain here. Or at least doing something in that scene
- Shows the end of Super Metroid escape scene? Maybe we'll replay it.

[quote name='Strell']I think foltzie is talking about moving Samus around. I need to rewatch the trailer, but at some point, she's kind of in this murky bog swamp place, and it appears that she goes from running -> FPS visor -> running, only after the visor, she seems to change paths.

I could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

Strell is, of course, correct. I'm referring to how the 2.5dish changes occur while in Wiimote sideways mode.

What I'm seeing in the trailer, looks more like Super Castlevania 4 than any previous Metroid. If true, this isnt necessarily bad, just different.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']This better not be like a God of War ripoff, I hope it is in 2D mostly with 3D added in somewhere. I want to see more because I am highly interested.

Defiantly a day 1 for me.[/QUOTE]

God of war ripoff, i think you need to check metroids history to gow gameing history mate, unless your 12 year old that is.

I don't think he's saying that Metroid is a God of War ripoff.

He's saying that he's worried that the new incarnation of Metroid will be a God of War ripoff.

[quote name='foltzie']Strell is, of course, correct. I'm referring to how the 2.5dish changes occur while in Wiimote sideways mode.

What I'm seeing in the trailer, looks more like Super Castlevania 4 than any previous Metroid. If true, this isnt necessarily bad, just different.[/QUOTE]

Ah that part.

I just figured they were timed events that force you to First Person.

And it seems like it might be the case for that in the game.

No, it's like Super Paper Mario. When you point the Wiimote at the screen, it goes into first person mode. There might be timed/forced/scripted events, but you should be able to aim at any time.

Whoooooooooa booooooo

This is bizarre, I was totally not seeing a delay on this title. I would think they would disappoint me on delaying Mario Galaxy 2 before they pushed this back. Ah, well.

I'm kind of surprised the schedule was the way it was. Putting out 3 big games in < a 5 week span, something was going to get overlooked.

bread's done
Back