Metroid: Other M - The CAG Thread

Yeah, about SR388
The Chozo created the Metroid, so it's assumed they had some kind of base of operations there.
For Prime, Tallon IV was another homeworld for the Chozo, so to say there was Chozo technology on the planet wouldn't be a very far reach; and as for Echoes, they sort of played with the idea that the Chozo suit is pretty much compatible with everything and anything.

When it comes to Samus as a child/academy student
I was always under the impression that she was really rebellious, while still maintaining some sort of kindness about her. I imagine she respected Adam Malcovich because he was considered to be pretty smart in battle, and they also had that same understanding that they need to do what needed to be done, even if it meant breaking the rules. Beyond that, I don't know. I guess Other M is supposed to explore that.

As an adult
she was confident about her abilities, but was mainly always about getting the job done, even if it meant following orders; however she was mainly about doing what she thought was right. In Prime, they SORT OF toyed with the idea that she was a bit careless in her approach sometimes (losing her powers, for example, came in abundance); you could say that happened in the prologue of Fusion too, but I would chalk that up to ignorance about X more than anything. In Fusion, she was being led around the entire time, and until the end, she never raised an objection about what was going on. There was always, to me at least, a clear distinction between the two, with the exception of Fusion's end where she disobeyed the AI.

If there was anything that would concern about Other M is that
they either eliminated or did not discuss how that change happened, basically leaving the rebellious, unconfident Samus in place. I think this might be a case of not distinguishing between the two, which would be very disappointing, as I was always given the impression that this is what would be shown. Would it ruin the character? Absolutely not. If they eliminated that change, it would ruin the character especially given where it takes place in the Metroid timeline (after Super Metroid).

If I'm wrong about anything but the last paragraph, please chime in. If it's about the last paragraph, don't because I'm speculating.

Last edited by a moderator:
My order from Amazon still says "shipping soon" and I have release date delivery with prime. Does anybody else have a screen like this?

If I don't get this on release day, it'll be strike three against Amazon in just a few days. First the CoD deal with no response from customer service, the kingdom hearts BBS guide going from being delivered on the 31st of this month to December 1st (again with no reply from Amazon's customer service), and now this. I'm hoping they pull through since tomorrow is my day off that I'll actually have time.

[quote name='jacobeid']My order from Amazon still says "shipping soon" and I have release date delivery with prime. Does anybody else have a screen like this?

If I don't get this on release day, it'll be strike three against Amazon in just a few days. First the CoD deal with no response from customer service, the kingdom hearts BBS guide going from being delivered on the 31st of this month to December 1st (again with no reply from Amazon's customer service), and now this. I'm hoping they pull through since tomorrow is my day off that I'll actually have time.[/QUOTE]
My Prime order shipped today, and should arrive tomorrow.

[quote name='Guerrilla']My Prime order shipped today, and should arrive tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Mine still says shipping soon....

Off to amazon customer service I go.

[quote name='shipwreck']Here's the deal.

Honestly, I say that it's silly how she doesn't use her powers in my review as well. I just point out that it's equally as silly that in past games her powers are stripped away (often times inexplicably) and coincidentally are scattered about planets she's never visited before in locations that are convenient for her to continue to progress through the environments. Metroid: Other M has the same convoluted game structure all Metroids do. They've just incorporated a melodramatic story this time around.
[/QUOTE]

Why does everyone complain about this? A lot of games have this (such as Arkham Asylum) and it's a staple of the Metroid series. It's not a big deal, especially since every Metroid game adds newer abilities, so you're not getting the same exact ones as a previous game.

Shipped today from Gamestop; I ordered it back during the 25% off promotion in April. $37.50 and a postcard book. Woot!

Now... to play this or Valkyria Chronicles II. Decisions, decisions...

[quote name='icedrake523']Why does everyone complain about this? A lot of games have this (such as Arkham Asylum) and it's a staple of the Metroid series. It's not a big deal, especially since every Metroid game adds newer abilities, so you're not getting the same exact ones as a previous game.[/QUOTE]

The abilitease has been a staple in Metroidvania games (I hate that name so much) since Symphony of the Night. It was stupid then, and it's stupid now, but we somehow tolerate it. Apparently it becomes VERY STUPID in this game when you get
the Varia Suit
, which sounds like the stupidest thing ever.

[quote name='thelonepig']Shipped today from Gamestop; I ordered it back during the 25% off promotion in April. $37.50 and a postcard book. Woot!

Now... to play this or Valkyria Chronicles II. Decisions, decisions...[/QUOTE]

I'm stoked too, mine shipped from Amazon earlier today. =D

Some information for all you:

Cutscene skipping: You can skip cutscenes on sequential playthroughs, and they don't count towards your overall play time.
Hard Mode: No item pickups whatsoever. You have to go through the game with 99 Energy and 10 Missiles.

[quote name='jacobeid']Mine still says shipping soon....

Off to amazon customer service I go.[/QUOTE]

I ordered mine on July 6th and they said it was delayed?!? I even ordered with release date shipping. I am not happy.

I ordered back in March, still 'shipping soon'. I realize it's probably not their fault, but I'm still pissed. One of the few non-Sunday Nintendo releases, and still won't be day one. Kinda shakes your faith in the RDD thing, huh?

Still, it's Amazon, so I expect they'll try and make it up to us. Probably $10 credit or something.

[quote name='KingBroly']The abilitease has been a staple in Metroidvania games (I hate that name so much) since Symphony of the Night. It was stupid then, and it's stupid now, but we somehow tolerate it. Apparently it becomes VERY STUPID in this game when you get
the Varia Suit
, which sounds like the stupidest thing ever.[/QUOTE]

The stupidest thing ever was in the aforementioned Arkham Asylum. That final boss is the worst in video game history.

I got an email this morning from Amazon...my order has been delayed. :cry: Strangely enough, its still lists the delivery estimate as 8/31, but I doubt that'll happen.

Does this game have a lot of blood (or any blood)? I was thinking it wouldn't have it, but then it's T rated, so i don't know. My kids are a bit young for bloody games. I'd like to play it either way, but it's better if I can play in front of them - if I can't I end up with a lot less time to play the game. See my copy of Read Dead Redemption just sitting on the shelf 99% of the time, looking lonely, for example (not that it compares). FYI, I have no experience (very little experience) with Metroid games, so if this is a given (or not) don't chastise me for not knowing. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Does this game have a lot of blood (or any blood)? I was thinking it wouldn't have it, but then it's T rated, so i don't know. My kids are a bit young for bloody games. I'd like to play it either way, but it's better if I can play in front of them - if I can't I end up with a lot less time to play the game. See my copy of Read Dead Redemption just sitting on the shelf 99% of the time, looking lonely, for example (not that it compares). FYI, I have no experience (very little experience) with Metroid games, so if this is a given (or not) don't chastise me for not knowing. :)[/QUOTE]
like any nintendo game, no blood.

just played a bit of this game and i feel this is going to be the worst game of the series. I knew it was gonna be kinda bad since its not really ninty doing it, but the controls stink. the random shooting in 2.5d sucks and the story is just overly cheesy.

Pre-ordered from Gamestop for bonus goodies, and its still stuck at "verifying" even though my credit card's been charged. Just ship my fucking game already!

Mine is on the way. For any of you who haven't gotten it, email Amazon. They might do something for you. If the first email is unsuccessful, try again and say you're very disappointed in Amazon. I did that when I emailed them for $10 credit I hadn't received and when they didn't fulfill their pre-order price guarantee for Crackdown 2 and it worked for me both times.

Also, don't be discouraged by a delay. They're pretty quick with dealing with that. I remember they weren't going to have a strategy guide I wanted for several weeks. Showed up in stock a few days later.

Yeah, I emailed them about half hour ago. I'm sure its all fine though.

I know I'm not getting the game till at least tomorrow so all I want right now is the $20 credit to pick up VC2. Which, coincidentally, is in my gold box right now.

EDIT: quick update. they emailed me back and said it won't get here till tomorrow. They did give me $5 credit as an apology though, so that's cool.

Just an FYI my order changed to shipped this morning around 12:15 am. It says it's on it's way to being delivered, but we'll see.

No response from amazon.

Edit: The game did arrive today. Got a $5 credit from Amazon from the two other mess ups.

I got it right before 10am this morning (Along with a second art folio, teehee) and I've been playing right up until now (so roughly 3 and half hours). I've died 3 times, once because it was my fault (really funny death, too) and twice when
I had no Varia Suit in the Pyrosphere, once due to heat, the other
due to tentacle monster sucking me into lava
. There are upgrades you can find/use without the permission of Malcovich, which was sorta surprising.

While the game will force you along a pathway, you can do a little bit of backtracking, although most of it seems meaningless since some of the items are hard to track down. I was actually surprised how far I could explore that one area, and that means there are probably several more like that.

Voice Acting so far: Not Absolutely terrible. The person voicing Malcovich seems to be the best actor, followed by Higgs. Samus is rather disjointed, but it still seems to flow together somehow, but I'm not seeing anything distinctly out of character from her yet, maybe one thing, but I'll see how it plays out. The translation reeks of long-windedness, meaning it's VERY literal. It's not taking anything away from the game thus far, but it's not adding anything either. It could 100% blow up in my face later on.

My complaints thus far:
- Tank controls. These are terrible. Thankfully, there isn't a lot of it, well...one part.
- The initial authorization of weapons. I literally had a 'wow, what the fuck' moment here
- Missiles. They feel completely arbitrary here since you can "Concentrate" at any time and replenish all of them. I don't see why they should run out in the first place. Plus, I'm not using them a lot anyway.

What I love so far:
- The Overcharge Move: Hop on enemy, charge, loads of damage. Easy to do, very cool.
- Sense Move: This thing is amazing. While you probably won't get it 100% of the time, it's definitely the highlight of the game's combat so far.
- First-person to Third-person and back: Really slick, really easy to do. Once you understand when to go into first person, it feels really good.

Unfortunately, my car is in the shop, so I won't be able to pick up my copy until tomorrow. :cry: Any chance that GS will still have folios tomorrow?

I am on the fence. I really wish the series would go back to full 2D. How well does this Metroid achieve that in your opinion (want a gamer's opinion, not review or fanboy)?

Also, how are the controls?

I think the controls, besides the tank, over the shoulder controls are awesome. Learning to know when to use first person is pretty much half the battle (AKA far away). Don't worry, though. You can use Sense Move in first person.

Let me put it bluntly: If you are a Metroid fan, you have to play this game. Whether you love it or you hate, you must play this game. It is not something that should be missed or overlooked.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think the controls, besides the tank, over the shoulder controls are awesome. Learning to know when to use first person is pretty much half the battle (AKA far away). Don't worry, though. You can use Sense Move in first person.

Let me put it bluntly: If you are a Metroid fan, you have to play this game. Whether you love it or you hate, you must play this game. It is not something that should be missed or overlooked.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it, Metroid is my favorite series and my copy just came =)

Mine shipped from GF yesterday. Hopefully I get it Wednesday. I'm very hyped.

Anyone else catch the X-Play review? I happened to see it over lunch and WOW!!! did they hate it. I don't think they mentioned one good thing about it during the entire review. Pretty much Morrgan was pissed about Samus being sexualized. I'm not one to bash reviews or anything but I thought I would share. The review didn't dissuade me a bit and actually contradicts other impressions I've seen.

The voice actress for Samus just seems uninterested in her narration. The dialogue itself isn't bad, though.

The switching between 3rd and 1st person is easy enough, no real complaints about it.

EDIT: Nevermind... just heard her say "Confession time." Ugh.

OK... G4's review made it sound like Samus was taking orders from Malkovich just to prove herself. But, the briefing to the squad before they all split up makes it pretty clear it's a military operation. As commander, he tells her if she's joining the squad for this mission, he wants to maintain chain of command. I don't see how that translates into a patriarchal, sexist situation.

As Shipwreck pointed out, though, it IS silly to be walking through a lava area, losing health, and not having the Varia Suit.

Mine shipped last night and arrived at 8 AM today. It shipped prime, but I ordered it last week.. and can't play it til later tonight.

[quote name='LordVila']Just a quick question:
Was Metroid: Other M supposed to have release day delivery with Amazon Prime?[/QUOTE]

It's included in the price of Prime, yes. I'm currently on a Prime trial and I got release day delivery.

[quote name='The Crotch']Voice acting approaching "that one Arc the Lad game on PS2 (seriously, fuck that game)" levels?[/QUOTE]

No, it's directly story related.

However, after that part the game has blown my mind in a way a Metroid game has never done before!

I agree with the orders part, COMPLETELY overblown (then again, it's G4). She's doing it because they are friends, former comrades on the field of battle.

Did I mention that this is the best graphics on the Wii? Because they are.

One more thing about switching to First Person view that might help Hold down B when going into it. That allows you to look around first person completely.

G4's review also mentioned the blatant T&A. Pretty much saying a game littered with Samus boob & butt is a bad thing. Is it really that offensive? And with Team Ninja do you really expect anything less? Besides this isn't the first game were we see her in the skin tight Zero Suit.

From what I've played so far,
2, MAYBE 3 scenes
highlight either of those. One definitely highlights her ass, but that's about it. No, it's not the first game where we see her in a skin tight Zero Suit, however Team Ninja specializes in detailing the anatomy of the human female, so the fact that Nintendo put a lot of constraint on them is amazing. Well, I guess in this case you could say human-chozo hybrid female.

Also, for a Team Ninja, the camera is amazing. And not just in comparison to Team Ninja games, I mean to games in general, the camera is amazing.

[quote name='KingBroly']Did I mention that this is the best graphics on the Wii? Because they are.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear. This was another little gripe I had about the G4 review. No where do I remember them mentioning the graphics or sound. Kind of a big thing to omit while ranting about a few petty butt shots. Anyways I'm done talking about G4.

[quote name='Rodimus']G4's review also mentioned the blatant T&A. Pretty much saying a game littered with Samus boob & butt is a bad thing. Is it really that offensive? And with Team Ninja do you really expect anything less? Besides this isn't the first game were we see her in the skin tight Zero Suit.[/QUOTE]

Well, when you have a character who's almost always seen in her armor and considered such a badass, it's kind of insulting to feel like they need to focus on her body. They don't give us close-ups of the asses of fit male characters, so it boils down to sexualizing her because she's female.

Yes, she's appeared in other games in the Zero Suit, and they never tried to hide the fact she's in a skin-tight outfit which certainly doesn't leave much to the imagination, but the close-ups are just unnecessary. They don't advance the story, they don't develop the character - they just show you she has a nice ass.

Now, as King Broly pointed out, this has happened in MAYBE 2-3 cut scenes, and the games have always "awarded" you with shots of Samus in everything from her Zero Suit to street clothes to bathing suits. It's a Japanese thing, but that doesn't make it obnoxious.

I feel like it comes down to the fact that it's thrown in there because it's assumed people want to see it. Find me a movie or game with a strong female lead where they don't EVER emphasize her sexual attractiveness. I'm sure they exist but they are few and far between, and it just goes back to the original problem of women being viewed and valued for their physical attractiveness, not their minds and what they're capable of.

I don't personally feel like this game is doing that to such an offensive degree as to tear it apart the way G4 did, but it IS a problem.

[quote name='johnnypark']Well, when you have a character who's almost always seen in her armor and considered such a badass, it's kind of insulting to feel like they need to focus on her body. They don't give us close-ups of the asses of fit male characters, so it boils down to sexualizing her because she's female.[/QUOTE]
Hideo Kojima directs every game from now on.

Problem solved.

[quote name='johnnypark']Now, as King Broly pointed out, this has happened in MAYBE 2-3 cut scenes, and the games have always "awarded" you with shots of Samus in everything from her Zero Suit to street clothes to bathing suits. It's a Japanese thing, but that doesn't make it obnoxious. [/QUOTE]

It is called "fan service". :booty:

Actually, I was watching the thing on the Nintendo channel with the makers of the game. It was rather amusing that Team Ninja wanted to use the Zero Suit more often. Course, they were overrode by Nintendo. It is actually a very interesting watch to see what they were going for.

Anyone complaints about having your items deactivated is nitpicking at it's highest. You can't use your missiles or bombs but you get them back within 10 min (you only need the bombs to go back to get a energy tank, but it's really easy to go back to). Adam explains why you can't use the power bombs (too destructive), it's not just "You can't use them until I say you can't use them, bitch!"

I've died a few times because there is a bit of a learning curve on going to first-person during heavy action. It is annoying that enemies never drop health, especially since you can regenerate missiles.

I just beat it. 48% of items collected in 8:20 (My Wii says 9:53). The final boss, all things considered, is actually kinda tough. It took me 5 deaths to figure out how to beat it. I died maybe 5 other times the rest of the game. I'm also proud that I never died to a standard enemy, only by hazard or boss.
The ending is weird. They act like they're going to lead to something else, and then it just continues on until the credits.
A lot of the ending is just a lot of cool fan service and confusion, albeit some obvious. I'm probably going to go back and unlock Hard Mode, because that sounds like a fun challenge.

I have a few complaints about the game, including 1 major one that I will not spoil. However, they definitely did not tarnish the game for me. I'm going to give it a bit more thought before I give it a score.

I can't wait to hear more impressions, the ninja moves and extensive use of cutscenes make very hesitant to buy. I can't complain through, Nintendo has been great this gen.

[quote name='eddie291']Wow already? You took the day off or something?[/QUOTE]

Today was a special day. Now to spend the next 2-3 years breaking it for the inevitable speed run. Well, after I go back and do 100% item collection.

bread's done
Back