Metroid: Other M - The CAG Thread

Broly, I have a question.

Do you have to obtain a physical item/upgrade for the things like the ice beam, super missiles, and grapple beam or does Adam just authorize them like he did the bomb and missile? Just curious since I got the Diffusion Beam and was wondering if the other upgrades were like that or unlocked from authorization.

[quote name='KingBroly']I just beat it. 48% of items collected in 8:20 (My Wii says 9:53). [/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting a time. I was looking for this. Now I can play the game with confidence that I'll beat it before Shattered Dimensions next week.

[quote name='icedrake523']Broly, I have a question.

Do you have to obtain a physical item/upgrade for the things like the ice beam, super missiles, and grapple beam or does Adam just authorize them like he did the bomb and missile? Just curious since I got the Diffusion Beam and was wondering if the other upgrades were like that or unlocked from authorization.
[/QUOTE]

Authorization is given to you for everything except
Diffusion Beam,Space Jump, Screw Attack, Gravity Suit and
Power Bombs

I just did
The Escape Sequence. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That might be the greatest moment in gaming history

Alas, no, it is not Super Metroid good. Because nothing EVER is. However, it is a delightful romp that all Metroid fans should play.

From what I've played, all the criticisms I've heard are valid. Enemies don't drop missiles or energy, and you can literally recharge both when they're low just by holding the Wii remote vertical and holding down the A button. It's a very odd change which seems quite nonsensical, why fix it if it isn't broken?

And the story so far is stupid and insulting to the character, but I'm less than half way through. When Samus isn't reading confessions from her diary, it definitely looks, feels, and plays like you'd want a Metroid game to, so thus far I agree with Broly that if you're a fan you should play it, complaints aside.

I'm pretty much enjoying the game. Confession Time- I'm not very far into it.

The "whiny samus" problem doesn't bother me that much, it just seems to be an extension of the games overall theme of solitude and sense that you are alone. Even when she's running around with that squad- she's busy over thinking things in her head and being socially inept. Based on some friends I have, I'd say that's spot on for someone who spends most of their time alone.

Confession time: The only Metroid game I've ever fully played was Prime 3. I know, I know. Believe me, it's not something I like to admit.

That being said, I've kept seeing 'If you're a fan, play this'... what about people that aren't really invested in the Metroid universe or characters? To me, stuff like no missile drops, or Samus being changed as a character isn't something I likely would have even picked up on. So, how does this hold together as a game, not a 'Metroid' game? Would it possibly come across better if you don't have the series history tinting the judgment?

[quote name='crunchewy']I really need to download Super Metroid and finally play that game. :)[/QUOTE]

Better finish this game first so that your disappointments are less apparent. ;)

Played about an hour or so in last night, and I'm left with a slightly bitter taste in my mouth. Is it Metroid? Well, sort of. I feel that some of the changes made to certain elements tend to take away more from the game then they add. Maybe the game will improve as it goes on, but I remain pessimistic based on what I've seen so far.

The review at siliconera.com is pretty fascinating, and makes me want the game. It sounds like the first hour or two are pretty brutal, but it all pays off by the end, and then a 2nd play through is really fun too, including that first hour or two. It's an interesting review because it doesn't gloss over the shortcomings at all, in fact there's a lengthy initial part to the review that only talks about the negatives and makes it sound like it's going to be awful, but by the end of the review he has high praise for it. I suppose, a bit like the game?

I feel far less accomplished using the wall jump in this game than I did in Super Metroid. When I mastered it in SM it was cool doing my speed run and getting things like the power bomb earlier than you were supposed to.

[quote name='bjstucker']I feel far less accomplished using the wall jump in this game than I did in Super Metroid. When I mastered it in SM it was cool doing my speed run and getting things like the power bomb earlier than you were supposed to.[/QUOTE]

I was playing it recently and I was getting so frustrated with wall jumping in SM. Then I realized you press the D-pad then the jump, not both at the same time. I tried doing that in this the first time and just fell. You're right, it doesn't feel as satisfying when you finally figured out how to do it.

I just hope you don't have to do any Shinespark moves like in Zero Mission.

Wall Jump Mastery: Just hold one direction on the d-pad and keep jumping. Even if you go to an opposite wall, just keep holding the d-pad in that same direction.

[quote name='KingBroly']
I have a few complaints about the game, including 1 major one that I will not spoil. However, they definitely did not tarnish the game for me. I'm going to give it a bit more thought before I give it a score.[/QUOTE]

Is your major complaint story related or gameplay related?

[quote name='007']Confession time: The only Metroid game I've ever fully played was Prime 3. I know, I know. Believe me, it's not something I like to admit.

That being said, I've kept seeing 'If you're a fan, play this'... what about people that aren't really invested in the Metroid universe or characters? To me, stuff like no missile drops, or Samus being changed as a character isn't something I likely would have even picked up on. So, how does this hold together as a game, not a 'Metroid' game? Would it possibly come across better if you don't have the series history tinting the judgment?[/QUOTE]

I got 100% complete on MP3, but couldn't stomach the first 2 (I got lost in Prime1, and my simulator sickness prevented me from finishing). Other than that I've only played Metroid: Zero Mission to completion.

I think your probably in a good position to enjoy the game. Just keep in mind that when you see a completely stupid looking bad guy that it's modelled after one from Metroid or Super Metroid. :)

[quote name='lordopus99']Is your major complaint story related or gameplay related?[/QUOTE]

Oh, it's definitely story related. Not Samus' story, either. I think that part is fine, but this is just too literal. They could give me the script and I could shorten it and it'd still have the same impact.

Art folio looks fantastic. A lot thicker than I expected and I'm tempted to keep it sealed. I don't suppose anyone will post pics of it? ;)

Played a couple hours last night. Confession time: only Metroid game I've beaten is Prime. Game looks great and runs great. There are some $$$$ling camera issues due to the fixed-format and some of the angles but overall it works well. I had no problems with the dot appearing on the map: it's not like you can just walk up to it. With the fixed camera and inability to move in search view, it makes tracking the item in question a lot easier while you explore.

Controls are fine. With auto-aim it's not like you need precise movement, and the camera is zoomed out enough so you can track enemies.

Regarding the cutscenes, they look awesome. Samus's voice doesn't bother me (does narrating really require lots of emoting?) and they're not overly long (10 minutes? Was that excluding the early tutorial?) The marines look pretty generic though. Her "thumbs down" pose cracks me up for some reason. And that suit really compensates for her short stature (compared to the marines).

I miss energy/missile drops though.

[quote name='KingBroly']Wall Jump Mastery: Just hold one direction on the d-pad and keep jumping. Even if you go to an opposite wall, just keep holding the d-pad in that same direction.[/QUOTE]

How did you go up that
one with the falling ceiling? I fell a few times and the way I did it was changing direction when I jumped across and not moving the d-pad while jumping straight up.

[quote name='KingBroly']Oh, it's definitely story related. Not Samus' story, either. I think that part is fine, but this is just too literal. They could give me the script and I could shorten it and it'd still have the same impact.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Samus narration is verbose. One thing that REALLY pissed me off was early on Samus was narrated what she said to Adam and his reply. They should have just showed it.

I just got this game and I played for a half hour..but holy crap I can't seem hardly anything. I play in SD in 480i because I don't have any better cables. Actually I don't even know if the Wii can do better, I haven't paid attention. Anyway, is there any way to change the brightness ?

[quote name='cdietschrun']I just got this game and I played for a half hour..but holy crap I can't seem hardly anything. I play in SD in 480i because I don't have any better cables. Actually I don't even know if the Wii can do better, I haven't paid attention. Anyway, is there any way to change the brightness ?[/QUOTE]

Wii will do 480p with component cables.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']How did you go up that
one with the falling ceiling? I fell a few times and the way I did it was changing direction when I jumped across and not moving the d-pad while jumping straight up.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where you're talking about exactly. If I have to do wall jumps across ledges, I go up as far as I can then over.

I've played through Hard Mode. I would be foolish to say I didn't die on the first boss of the game, but yeah, I did. Every boss kills you 1-2 hits, and all enemies kill you in 2-3. I've probably died about 50 times so and I just beat
Ridley
, but that boss isn't the most annoying one I've faced so far. The idea of Hard Mode where you have no expansions to pick up is a lot less agonizing that I thought it'd be. You'll also be shocked at where you can do Concentration sometimes. However it'll suck that
I can't do the Post Game Boss in Hard Mode.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']How did you go up that
[/QUOTE]

It is a series of ledges. I just jumped from one side to the other and made it up to the top.

Unfortunately,
I dropped the ceiling on top of myself, which is where I ended my game last night.

[quote name='icedrake523']I hate when they do this. They're penalizing people who preordered the game. At least I got a Gold Box discount.[/QUOTE]

I e-mailed them and got an adjustment. I also had gold box, so it shouldn't affect the adjustment.

For anyone who has completed the game, what's the item total numbers (i.e. 60 missle expansion pickups, 8 energy tanks, 16 energy parts, etc.)?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I e-mailed them and got an adjustment. I also had gold box, so it shouldn't affect the adjustment.[/QUOTE]

The $20 credit offer isn't showing up. I'm not going to email them now, especially since it's only $1.50 difference.

Darn, spoilers get quoted haha.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm not sure where you're talking about exactly. If I have to do wall jumps across ledges, I go up as far as I can then over.[/QUOTE]

So you just keep hitting jump to go up, then across? Sometimes I end up going up instead of across; maybe it's just me.

I beat the first "area" last night. The behind-the-shoulder view can be tedious because you're moving so slowly. And I spend way too much time in the "use search view to find relevant data" parts.

And that
white creature is creepy as heck

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Darn, spoilers get quoted haha.

So you just keep hitting jump to go up, then across? Sometimes I end up going up instead of across; maybe it's just me.

I beat the first "area" last night. The behind-the-shoulder view can be tedious because you're moving so slowly. And I spend way too much time in the "use search view to find relevant data" parts.

And that
white creature is creepy as heck
[/QUOTE]

Thinking about that, I don't think they use the tank mechanic anymore after that.

I've only played for maybe 3 1/2 hours and while the game is decent, I can't help but feel it would have been better with the classic controller pro. I find myself constantly wishing for a roll or dodge button instead of the d-pad press mechanic. Pointing at the screen for first-person is also really clumsy to me. Much rather have had it been a button press to switch then an analog stick to look. Also, I have to be very careful how I hold the controller lest I smudge up the sensor and find it not working when I need it most. Cutscenes are gorgeous and the in-game graphics are fine but I'm stuck playing it on my 13 inch SDTV since my HD monitor's component port doesn't work all the time. Another reason I dislike playing on Wii. :D

So I've mainly been doing
The Escape Sequence over and over again. My best time is just ever so slighty under 2:33 remaining on the clock. I mainly blame the fact that the second door you enter doesn't open until 9 seconds have ticked away on the clock, so there's almost no way you can gain time there. Oh well, I can probably get it to 2:35
if I can stretch it.

man- the over the shoulder "Deadspace" camera they try to use in some scenes is AWFUL. I almost turned off the game during the
BioWeapon part

Also- that was the worst cutscene in recent memory,
Adam stated the facts, and Samus repeated them as questions, and he restated them again
. Maybe there is a reason nintendo characters don't talk.

Hmmm... I'm about an hour into the game now and I'm pretty sure this might be the perfect example of why I hate Nintendo right now.
First, let me say that the opening movie gave me chills - one of the best I've ever seen mainly for nostalgic reasons. Once I got past that though, ugh.... the controls are so bad. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet but it seems completely unnecessary. It's like they went with these weird controls just because they want to prove to the world that they could. An option for the nunchuck or the classic controller would have been nice. I don't know. I'm a huge Metroid fan (Prime is my favorite game ever - or at least Top 5) so I'm going to keep playing and hope I get used to it and hope it gets better. I've never played a Team Ninja game before either (I don't think) so maybe the style just takes some getting used to...

The GameStop preorder Art folio is fantastic. I preordered it, got the game and folio... returned the game. I do this whenever I want a specific preorder bonus that Amazon does not have. Anyway....

My Amazon copy came yesterday. I am waiting on my significant other to receive the game as well, and once that happens- we can start together. Metroid fanatics! :whistle2:D

I gotta wrap up Sin & Punishment Star Successor anyway.

Broly! How are you liking it thus far? I havn't started it yet, but I know you were very excited for its release. Spoiler free impressions please? :D

[quote name='javeryh']Hmmm... I'm about an hour into the game now and I'm pretty sure this might be the perfect example of why I hate Nintendo right now.
First, let me say that the opening movie gave me chills - one of the best I've ever seen mainly for nostalgic reasons. Once I got past that though, ugh.... the controls are so bad. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet but it seems completely unnecessary. It's like they went with these weird controls just because they want to prove to the world that they could. An option for the nunchuck or the classic controller would have been nice. I don't know. I'm a huge Metroid fan (Prime is my favorite game ever - or at least Top 5) so I'm going to keep playing and hope I get used to it and hope it gets better. I've never played a Team Ninja game before either (I don't think) so maybe the style just takes some getting used to...
[/QUOTE]

I agree entirely. While I'm getting somewhat used to the control scheme after 3 hours, it's just on this side of playable, IMO.

I just beat this yesterday, and I really like the game, but I gotta agree with people who are complaining about the controls. The normal moving around and jumping is fine MOST of them time. But the first person shooting is just bad. Boss battles are annoying when you have only a few seconds to lock-on and fire a missile, but you're cross hair is jumping around the screen like crazy. Basically I hated going into first person, and never wanted to use it. The Prime games used first person pretty well, Other M just doesn't. The dodge ability works good sometimes, but not often enough. I've actually been combo-locked by enemies before because the dodge wont work.

I also hate when you are forced to run down a hallway towards the camera because now you cant see the enemies until you are right on top of them. Other times the camera is zoomed in way to far, so once again you cant see the enemies.

Once you get past those problems though, it's a great game. I'm in the Epilogue now, and once I find all the items I may do hard mode.

So the art folio looks good? Does anyone have pics of it?

I'm very irritated with Gamestop right now. I pre-ordered online with them, and still no game yet! And in my area, the Gamestop employees are so sticky fingered that if you do in store pickup, you will NEVER see any bonus goodies. Grrrr....

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='flameofdoom666']Broly! How are you liking it thus far? I havn't started it yet, but I know you were very excited for its release. Spoiler free impressions please? :D[/QUOTE]

I REALLY like this game. It's not as good as Super Metroid, but it could have. It's not as good as Prime or Zero Mission, either. It's above Echoes, the first 2 Metroid games and Fusion. I'm still torn on whether I like it more than Corruption or not.

I really like the controls of the game, including first person. Now I know a lot of people complain about first person and not being able to have enough time to use it/can't move, but you have a lot more time than you think you do (Concentration Mode as well, even during boss fights can be done somewhat frequently). I don't like the tank section controls, but they really ditched that after one long part. Also, you should never really go into first person mode more than roughly 10% of the time anyway. In that regards, it's really like Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) in terms of learning how to play the game correctly. But the game is not that hard (Hard Mode is, but, well, if you get there you'll see). It's probably on the same difficulty spectrum as Super, meaning it's easier than the toughest Fusion sections.

Also when I start thinking about it, I remember at all of the neat little things they did really good as well. I'd say overall it's a solid package that has some problems, however I think some people are overselling problems because they don't understand them (Except 3P tank controls, which everyone seems to overlook).

I've been neutral on the whole "authorization" thing, but
why enable the Varia feature RIGHT before a boss and not any earlier? Does it add to the challenge of trying not to die while running around outside? I know Adam said at the beginning of Sector 3 that he'll need to check before authorizing anything, but why enable the Ice Beam before Varia?

Also, what's your opinion on the invisible barrier that exists on some platforms and ledges (you can't run off it). Sometimes it annoys me when I have to get down, and other times it annoys me when the barrier's not there when I fall (usually when in Morph Ball). I would've preferred a bit more consistency on that front.

Also, I'm in the second "area" and I'm about 4.5 hours in. About how much more is there?

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I've been neutral on the whole "authorization" thing, but
why enable the Varia feature RIGHT before a boss and not any earlier? Does it add to the challenge of trying not to die while running around outside? I know Adam said at the beginning of Sector 3 that he'll need to check before authorizing anything, but why enable the Ice Beam before Varia?

Also, what's your opinion on the invisible barrier that exists on some platforms and ledges (you can't run off it). Sometimes it annoys me when I have to get down, and other times it annoys me when the barrier's not there when I fall (usually when in Morph Ball). I would've preferred a bit more consistency on that front.[/QUOTE]

The invisible wall really annoyed me on one of the early missile containers. You have been able to space jump to the ledge it was on, but a invisible wall stops you. Instead you have to go a few rooms away to find the path to it.

I also agree with the authorization thing, it could have been done in a way that made more sense. I think they're running out of reasons for Samus to lose her abilities each game.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I've been neutral on the whole "authorization" thing, but

Also, what's your opinion on the invisible barrier that exists on some platforms and ledges (you can't run off it). Sometimes it annoys me when I have to get down, and other times it annoys me when the barrier's not there when I fall (usually when in Morph Ball). I would've preferred a bit more consistency on that front.

Also, I'm in the second "area" and I'm about 4.5 hours in. About how much more is there?[/QUOTE]

Because
If you didn't get the Ice Beam first, you wouldn't be able to beat the Fire Hives/Bugs. Not having the Varia Suit adds to the Challenge of the section, but it doesn't make it less stupid. Maybe after one room it should've been authorized.

If you just reached the second area at 4.5 hours in, I'd say you are about a quarter to a third through the game. If you actually
mean Sector 2, then you're probably closer to 40%

More
Escape Run talk. I'm still at 2:33, but I've come to the conclusion that jumping slows you down more than turning. I'll see if I can do anything faster than that, but 2:35 is possible.

I just got the speed booster and wave beam. I'm starting to get the hang of doing the quick kills on enemies instead of spamming charge shots. I can finally take out the Horseshoe Crab enemy quickly.

I have a suspicion that
the nasty white Gremlin thing mutated into that big thing with the spike tail that attacked Samus and will mutate further into something very familiar

I'm surprised that Nintendo still hasn't remade Metroid 2 yet, considering it's importance to the story.

In fact, after I finished Other M, I was left wanting a remade Metroid 2 more than anything.

I'm towards the end and stuck in a room with 2 locked doors, a bunch of locked doors leading to small rooms, and 6 tube things sticking out of the middle of the floor. No idea what to do.

[quote name='icedrake523']I'm towards the end and stuck in a room with 2 locked doors, a bunch of locked doors leading to small rooms, and 6 tube things sticking out of the middle of the floor. No idea what to do.[/QUOTE]

Check through each of the door windows, or if you're impatient the one in the top right

I just completed a 17%, 4:15:26 run. Since cutscenes add to your time (Even if you skip them), that's roughly under 3 hours, maybe 2:45. I did terrible at the end, too, so that could be improved.

bread's done
Back