MGS: Twin Snakes $34.99 used on gamestop.com

This totally doubled from when I got MGS:TS, the original release PM:TTYD, and a complete Dragon Quest VIII for $18 sticker each during a B2G1 last year...probably like $35 total after Edge and the promo.

[quote name='TimPV3']I'm kicking myself in the ass right now for buying TWO of these for $7 clearanced at K-Mart, selling one on here for $10 then trading one away for Dark Cloud 2.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, I found a non Player's Choice copy for $3 at K-Mart 2 years ago. It sold for $27 on EBay. If I had held onto it I could have gotten $100 for it. I do have a Player's Choice version I picked up at Best Buy a few years ago for $10 but I really like the game and don't want to sell it even if I could get $50 for it.

[quote name='Indonesia']I never know this game become rare. I still have mine wrapped[/quote]

Thats gold then.

I never knew...theres a copy at a local GS. Will check it out.

[quote name='forumreader']No, that's really how MGS looks. I love and prefer the game, but the graphics are rough (as they should be, it's the PS1 after all).

If anything, the remake is probably *too* artistic.

This is a decent deal if you're looking for it, but if you have a Playstation a better buy is getting the Essential collection with the first 3 Solid games.[/QUOTE]

I know that's how it literally looks, I mean that's not the overall impression you get when actually watching it.

No question the Essential Collection would be a better deal. It's $30 NEW, has a better version of MGS1, plus 2 and 3. Personally I think 3 is garbage, but 2 is probably still fairly fun. The gameplay was dated even at the time, but functional, and the plot is...um...not as good as 1 IMO, but...adds to it, I guess.

Wow, is this really that valuable? Glad I got mine at Fry's for something like $19 back in the day.

Also got an extra one on my tradelist, just missing the manual.

[quote name='joshythegreat18']Question for those of you who've used Goozex before: In what condition are the games usually in? I'm all for buying some points to get a complete copy of MGS: The Twin Snakes, but a complete copy beat to hell isn't really worth it.[/quote]

It's really hit or miss. If you get a copy that's slightly abused you can still $30-$40 for it. For the most part I've gotten games in great condition but there are a few I've received and not been happy with. The worse was the complete copy of Odin Sphere that came without a manual......

[quote name='joshythegreat18']Question for those of you who've used Goozex before: In what condition are the games usually in? I'm all for buying some points to get a complete copy of MGS: The Twin Snakes, but a complete copy beat to hell isn't really worth it.[/quote]

Every game I've gotten from there has been in great condition

Still don't see why some people still prefer the PS1 version, unless they are just a fanboy then oh well.

I've played the original like almost a decade ago + again when the Essentials Collection came out & Twin Snakes a couple of days after release back in 2003 or 2004 (not sure). Twin Snakes is superior in EVERY SINGLE way, don't even try to deny it =\

[quote name='blackhole82']Every game I've gotten from there has been in great condition[/quote]
It really depends on who is sending your games, so there's no telling what kind of condition it could come in. I recently got a copy of this game from goozex for like 250 pts(I'd been on the list for months I think) and it came pretty used. The discs were scratched and the booklet was pretty worn. I did manage to get $40 for it though on ebay.
BTW, this game is going for $80 or more for NEW copies of it on ebay. Used are like 30-50.

[quote name='Wolfpup']The original also looks better than those screen shots make it out to be.[/QUOTE] Have you played the original on an HDTV?

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Still don't see why some people still prefer the PS1 version, unless they are just a fanboy then oh well.

I've played the original like almost a decade ago + again when the Essentials Collection came out & Twin Snakes a couple of days after release back in 2003 or 2004 (not sure). Twin Snakes is superior in EVERY SINGLE way, don't even try to deny it =\[/quote]
From what I've seen and heard from the remake, there's different music and a slightly not as great voice acting job. Also, there's a lot of stupid matrix type action they added to the cinema scenes that just make things laughable. Sure the series isn't the most realistic at times, but the physics in this are just a bit too much. Of course the game LOOKS a lot better than the PS1 version though. If only they could have gotten the best qualities of them both into one game...

clueless Blockbuster employees....

Me: Hello you guys got Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for Gamecube?
Guy working: No it only came out for PS3
Me: I was looking for Twin Snakes for gamecube!
Guy working: Oh, MGS 4 on PS3? It's all out right now none to rent

Honestly I can care less about the voice acting, there is some frame rate issues slowdown at the beginning of the game but that is barely noticeable. Snake may be exaggerated like Superman in some cutscenes but fine game, overall!

[quote name='chewster777']From what I've seen and heard from the remake, there's different music and a slightly not as great voice acting job. Also, there's a lot of stupid matrix type action they added to the cinema scenes that just make things laughable. Sure the series isn't the most realistic at times, but the physics in this are just a bit too much. Of course the game LOOKS a lot better than the PS1 version though. If only they could have gotten the best qualities of them both into one game...[/quote]

Honestly I can care less about the voice acting, there is some frame rate issues slowdown at the beginning of the game but that is barely noticeable. Snake may be exaggerated like Superman in some cutscenes but fine game, overall!

so I call around. Clueless Blockbuster employees....

wow I had no idea this game was valuable. I guess a lot of Wii owners really want to play Metal Gear Solid of any kind on their system.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Still don't see why some people still prefer the PS1 version, unless they are just a fanboy then oh well.

I've played the original like almost a decade ago + again when the Essentials Collection came out & Twin Snakes a couple of days after release back in 2003 or 2004 (not sure). Twin Snakes is superior in EVERY SINGLE way, don't even try to deny it =\[/QUOTE]

Umm...I already have, plus see some of the other responses. I watched them SIDE BY SIDE and the original was far, far better in every way aside from polygon count and textures (which are just one aspect of graphics).

[quote name='Thrinn']Have you played the original on an HDTV?[/QUOTE]

No, though it would look just as good as it did if you've got a good HDTV that scales well.

[quote name='chewster777']From what I've seen and heard from the remake, there's different music and a slightly not as great voice acting job. Also, there's a lot of stupid matrix type action they added to the cinema scenes that just make things laughable. Sure the series isn't the most realistic at times, but the physics in this are just a bit too much. Of course the game LOOKS a lot better than the PS1 version though. If only they could have gotten the best qualities of them both into one game...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CaoPi']Honestly I can care less about the voice acting[/quote]

Which is one of the major reasons I loved the original...

so I call around. Clueless Blockbuster employees....

Is that for real?

This was available on the konami website not too long ago (maybe 2 months).. something like $28 shipped. Not only that, but keep your eye out when you visit blockbuster, I've seen a handful of copies when I was in the market for it back in March/April

I prefer the PS1 version compared to MGS Twin Snakes. I thought Twin Snakes was too over the top with Snake bouncing off missiles and stuff. Snake is never the really crazy one, its usually the other characters that do all the crazy moves and whatnot. Also, the atmosphere just wasn't done as well in Twin Snakes. They also brought in MGS2 AI for the characters without giving you the amount of hiding places that were available in MGS2, making the game a lot harder.

Just got back from Blockbuster with Twin Snakes. Discs are pretty scratched up, but none look too deep (nothing a good resurfacing couldn't take care of). Original box and insert, but no instructions :cry:. I had to rent it for $8 (never knew they were so much now!), and if I "forget" to return it, I was told I'd just be charged the $10 on top of it. Add a few bucks to have it resurfaced, and I'll have it for about $20. Still debating whether I should go for it or return it and hope I can find a complete copy somewhere for a little more.

I got my copy of Twin Snakes at Blockbuster f/ $9.99 a few years back new/sealed. Really one of the best deals I found due to CAG. Since owning it I've beaten it three times. Before pulling the plug on this one please check your Blockbusters I bet the price is still the same.

[quote name='vanlandw']I got my copy of Twin Snakes at Blockbuster f/ $9.99 a few years back new/sealed. Really one of the best deals I found due to CAG. Since owning it I've beaten it three times. Before pulling the plug on this one please check your Blockbusters I bet the price is still the same.[/quote]

I wish my Blockbuster was actually selling it and not still renting it, then I wouldn't have to "forget" to return it and pay the extra $10 on top of the ridiculous rental fee.

Wolfpup, I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

The major area where Twin Snakes stumbles is the controls. They (especially grabbing people) just don't work the way they should. I enjoyed the revamped cutscenes, but if you don't, then it's not too big of a deal. Only a handful have Snake doing crazy moves anyway.

The voice acting is not that big of a difference, and you won't even notice if you didn't play the original.

Despite the controls, I'd rather play Twin Snakes than the original.

I got a new copy in store for $19.99. It was a display copy and for some reason it wasn't coming up in the system when the employee scanned it, so he had to scan a used copy and manually adjust the price to $19.99.

[quote name='Rozz']I got a new copy in store for $19.99. It was a display copy and for some reason it wasn't coming up in the system when the employee scanned it, so he had to scan a used copy and manually adjust the price to $19.99.[/quote]

They didn't happen to have another you'd be willing to sell for cost + shipping + time, did they?

[quote name='primetime']Wolfpup, I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

The major area where Twin Snakes stumbles is the controls. They (especially grabbing people) just don't work the way they should. I enjoyed the revamped cutscenes, but if you don't, then it's not too big of a deal. Only a handful have Snake doing crazy moves anyway.

The voice acting is not that big of a difference, and you won't even notice if you didn't play the original.

Despite the controls, I'd rather play Twin Snakes than the original.[/quote]

[quote name='primetime']:D I'm a fanboy of life.

Geez I hate that word.[/quote]

I was calling wolf a fanboy. ;) Most of the original voice overs are there, it's not like they removed David Hayter or anything all good!

[quote name='CaoPi']I was calling wolf a fanboy. ;) Most of the original voice overs are there, it's not like they removed David Hayter or anything all good![/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the voice acting. Either way I knew it was a joke.

For all those people debating on the PS1 version vs the GC version, here are a few facts about the remake. The director of the remake originally had done the cut scenes shot for shot exactly like the original. Kojima was upset/displeased with this and told the director he wanted him to do them differently in the directors on style and not his. That's why there's a dramatic change in the cut scenes. Also for the voice acting, David Hayter took a paycut so he could get the original cast back to do their voices for the remake. I think Liquid Snake is the only character that didn't return.

I've yet to play the remake so I'm really hoping I can find a copy for under $30. I don't care if the remake is better or not, I just want to enjoy one of my favorite games again from a different perspective.

[quote name='TDAGARIM']I don't care if the remake is better or not, I just want to enjoy one of my favorite games again from a different perspective.[/QUOTE]

^ Thats the realest statement man. Plain and simple.

Wasn't this thing part of a clearance sale one or two years back? Kmart clearance maybe? I bought a copy somewhere for like $5 (from a clearance listed on CAG), just don't remember anything about it. I gave my old copy away to someone to play.. I'm kind of kicking myself in the ass right now, I've been sitting on a sealed copy and didn't even think about the value jumping on it that much.

I will say this though, it's definitely much better than playing the original PS1 version. They should have put it on a PS2 disc for the re-release instead of the old PS1 version.

better copy i am not so sure of? psx had better sound and cutscenes.. gc better gfx and updated controls.

I'm in the "Twin Snakes" camp myself. Yes, the voice acting in the original was better, but if you had never played it the GC version is fine. I'll take better graphics and first-person capability any day. Plus I enjoyed the new cutscenes. I never had a problem with the controls on either.

The original is a fantastic game but, even with PS3 upscaling, it looks really, really bad on a 50" HDTV, whereas Twin Snakes is much more bearable.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']dude, I'd sell my mint copy for 20 bucks. Opened, but only played once.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, if you are serious I'd buy it from you. Check your PM. Thanks!

When did this suddenly become so rare? I've had my copy just sitting here, since I no longer play my GC (or Wii), maybe I'll just sell it on eBay.

I picked up a copy, but I'm always in the market for mint copies of various games, so if anybody has a mint/complete copy they're looking to sell, please shoot me a PM!

[quote name='vtcheapgamer']Picked this beatch up for 1.99 at Goodwill not so long ago. True CAGs love Goodwill and the SA.[/quote]

The only 1.99 games I've seen belong to NES. The only gamecube games I've seen are lotus challenge and madden 05 and they were both 7.99. Infact they had a gameboy advance for $5

My local Goodwill doesn't have any games for under $5. Even the old Genesis sports titles are 5 bucks. It's like some smart ass college kid came by and said "But we can't sell these old games for under $5, they go for alot on Ebay!"

bread's done
Back