Microsoft forcing EBAY to Pull Scalper Systems???

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!
I just read online in another forum that M$ is asking EBAY to remove ALL 360 auctions from their system unless the seller is an AUTHORIZED M$ RESELLER??

Can anyone substantiate this?

If its true, oh my god, I might just have to dance in the street to the sound of screaming scalpers who had hoped to make a bundle the next few days...

!!!!

Hmm... It wouldn't make sense. The damage is already done. Resellers have already snatched up all the systems so the fans are going to go without anyway, unless microsoft expects the scalpers to return all their systems to retailers...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The resellers can do what they want with the systems since they own them.[/QUOTE]

They can, but if MS wants ebay to pull them, and ebay does, oh well.
Hopefully that means returns to stores!

[quote name='Shayde']But then wouldn't eBay be missing out on a ton of money?[/QUOTE]

Yes, which is why this whole thing is bogus. MS already got their $300-$400 or the system, what do they care what people do with them afterwards?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, which is why this whole thing is bogus. MS already got their $300-$400 or the system, what do they care what people do with them afterwards?[/QUOTE]
Because when people sell their 360 on ebay to another potential buyer, they're missing out on THAT sale.

[quote name='evilmax17']Because when people sell their 360 on ebay to another potential buyer, they're missing out on THAT sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeap, yeap!

Well this just means people will sell the 360 to their friends instead of eBay, doesn't mean everyones gonna return em.

This JUST MIGHT be True.......apparrantly someone on another forum started bidding on some systems, and within a few minutes the systems began to disappear from EBAYS listings.

The bidder started getting the standard "EBAY HAS PULLED THIS AUCTION" Chain letter.

Apparrantly this has happened on bids from more than 1 seller, so who knows if Ebay is about to shut the door on all the scalpers. holy smokes can you imagine the ramifactions if this turns out to be widespread and not isolated?

Quoted from anot
The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 8236140661

Item Title - New Microsoft Xbox 360 PREMIUM Bundle with Extras!!

Our records show that you were a bidder or buyer of one or more of this seller's items. We recently removed this seller's active listings and suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we cannot share further details about this seller.

If the seller asks you to complete this transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you do not proceed with the transaction. Transactions for items listed on eBay but then completed off of the eBay platform are not covered by buyer protection programs offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud. For more information on Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay, copy and past the following Help Page link into your browser:
If you have already paid for this item but have not received it, you should take all possible steps to receive reimbursement.

1. Stop payment with your bank if you paid by check.
2. Contact the Security Department of your credit card company to file a chargeback if you paid via credit card.
3. If you paid via Western Union or MoneyGram, contact the company directly (Western Union 800-325-6000 or MoneyGram 800-926-9400).
4. If you paid with PayPal, you may be eligible for up to $1,000 USD coverage at no cost. To file a claim with PayPal, login to your PayPal account and copy and paste the following link into your web browser: Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the File a Claim link. PayPal claims must be filed within 45 days of the close of the listing. It may take at least 30 days to complete the investigation and resolve the dispute.
5. If you did not pay with PayPal and would like to file a claim with eBay, please initiate the Item Not Received Process online directly from the Security and Resolution Center at the bottom of the ********* page.
6. eBay claims must be filed within 60 days of the end of the listing.

Our goal is to ensure that your eBay experience is safe so that you can buy confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay. However, in the event it does, we would like to provide as much assistance as possible to help resolve the issue.

Please do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received.

Regards,
Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

[quote name='evilmax17']Because when people sell their 360 on ebay to another potential buyer, they're missing out on THAT sale.[/QUOTE]

actually MS is missing out on THAT sale because they didn't provide enough consoles at launch.

The best way for MS to avoid this would be have a decent launch. It is their own fault and bullcrap if true.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The resellers can do what they want with the systems since they own them.[/QUOTE]
Its legal, under the right of first sale. But, as far as I know, they're not suing anyone, they're just asking ebay, and ebay can if they want to.

Remember, MS is making money on the games, not the consoles. That ebayer sitting on a console isn't buying games for that console.

Dell does this all the time on Ebay. I have had numerous auctions, for Dell products that I was reselling, pulled by Ebay at Dell's request. Ebay also threatens to ban you if you try to relist (although I have relisted pulled auctions and have never been banned).

Once you buy the system, you can turn around and sell it for whatever you want, you own it and it isn't like your selling something illegal. Not to mention, why would the company want to give away the millions of dollars in fee income that e-bay would lose out on if they actually prohibited sellers from listing Xbox 360's. This would be a major disservice to their stockholders.

What does E-bay care what Micro$oft tells them anyway? They certainly don't put a stop to all the Microsoft OEM software that is peddled on auctions on e-bay. Do a search under "Premium Xbox 360". Doesn't look to me like they're pulling auctions.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Ridiculous, if someone wants to sell the system on EBay that should be their right.[/QUOTE] But it is Ebay's site. They probably have fine print that says they reserve the right to remove auctions for any reason or something like that.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Ridiculous, if someone wants to sell the system on EBay that should be their right.[/QUOTE]

Ebay is a company. You use their service. You have no "rights" whatsoever.

Ebay routinely pulls all sorts of items it doesn't want sold. Custom action figures that might violate a copyright holder, WW2 memoribilia, and now Microsoft will probably try to do this to help deal with the consumer backlash of not just how few systems were available at launch, but also, at how **MANY** of those systems seem to be turning up ON Ebay....

Again....if this trend continues....the PS3 launch will have everyone ordering as many as they can because Ebay makes it EASY to sell stuff. At the same time, this causes a major nightmare for consumers....for every unit on ebay, microsoft knows its LOSING ANOTHER SALE. Thats probably their #1 reason for doing this, if indeed it is happening on a large scale.

Microsoft isn't exactly known for giving stuff away..for every unit sold on ebay, thats one less unit a person buys directly from them.

If you were to take away the "easy route" to peddling merchandise like online auctions, you'd eliminate 1/2 the scalpers who wouldn't want to have to deal with finding buyers for overpriced merchandise.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, which is why this whole thing is bogus. MS already got their $300-$400 or the system, what do they care what people do with them afterwards?[/QUOTE]
microsoft is losing money with every sale! (about 50 bucks per unit). so to have someone buy em all off the shelf and charge double the price of an already expensive system doesn't sit well with them. microsoft loses money, some jackass gets rich, and the true gamer gets raked over the coals!

Bogus and the OT should be slapped for such slander...

You know how much money EBAY is making listing FEES!!?????

[quote name='thagoat']microsoft is losing money with every sale! (about 50 bucks per unit). so to have someone buy em all off the shelf and charge double the price of an already expensive system doesn't sit well with them. microsoft loses money, some jackass gets rich, and the true gamer gets raked over the coals![/QUOTE]

How does pulling an auction get Microsoft any money back? You can argue that the reseller is not buying any games, hence MSoft is losing money, but that is faulty logic since the new buyer is going to buy games. Microsoft is not out any money by people selling 360s on ebay.

Someone is profiting on the fact that Microsoft didn't produce enough consoles to satisfy the masses. It's called supply and demand and the last time I checked, we were a capitalist society. Greed rules, people.

BTW, a "true gamer" isn't buying a 360 for a grand off ebay. They waited in line or pre-ordered and got their 360. It's the parents of spoiled brats that are buying systems off ebay.

Maybe MS is just a little bit mad that half the systems they sold ended up going to resellers and not to gamers who are actually wanting to play it. Yes it is their fault for not producing enough, but when resellers buy up half of the available units, it makes it seem like they produced even less and MS gets the bad press for it.

Not saying they don't deserve it, but I can see why MS would want them pulled. With all the ebay hassle, it might motivate some resellers to just return them if they cant make the quick profit on ebay and that gives the gamer who couldnt stand in line for 10+ hours because of work or school another chance to pick one up.
This is good for gamers, even if only a small percentage of those resellers return their xboxes.

Banning them from ebay would hike the street price up substantially. Right now Ebay is the main outlet for resellers. Banning them from Ebay doesnt affect the demand, it only changes how easy consumers can get to the supply. That forces the market underground, which is going to spike the prices.

if they don't pull them, and DoA 4 gets delayed till spring, and prices stay this ridiculous, I'm selling mine.

[quote name='usickenme']The best way for MS to avoid this would be have a decent launch. It is their own fault and bullcrap if true.[/QUOTE]

You're right....no other consoles have had shortages before this one.

I doubt they are pulling them, but if it's true, it's fitting. Karma really is a mutha fucker. Not sure if this, or my hope of them getting PayPal scammed is better. People buying several with this sole purpose deserve it.

Im sure not everyone selling them on Ebay now bought them to sell them. Some people might have bought the system to play and then after seeing the prices decided to sell. I personally waited 13 hours to get a system to play. But then best Buy made me buy a bundle i can't really afford so i am thinking of selling.

This makes me feel a little better than I wasn't able to hoard any, which I attempted. Simply too much potential easy money to pass up for an entirely legal process.

You will be able to sell yours, Ebay is making way too much money off this right now...It's Microsoft's fault for not supplying enough consoles to north america...If they would have suppled 3 mil at launch, this problem wouldn't be happening, period.

I think Microsoft is possibly thinking the buyer is spending twice as much as regular price on ebay when they could use that money toward accessories or software which most stores and Microsoft make their profit.

MS could make some kind of deal to get the X360 pull by offering some benefit to ebay, such as allowing paypal to pay for live or something.

I did not see it mentioned, but usually when companies refer to authorized retailers it has more to do with warranty and support.

Many companies will only honor a warranty and provide support if the unit was purchased from an authorized retailer. Also, many will not allow transfer of warranty for various reasons, including any damage that may occur say during shipment or what not.

If this is true, then I would be very happy even though I don't want a system. At least yet. I just want to see people who actually want the system to play, get it and enjoy it.

[quote name='Indonesia']OT. This is interesting one , looks like it breaks the record.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XBOX-360-Premiu...236168580QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/QUOTE]

Seriously, look at the winning bidder.

I looked at a few auctions that were bid up quite a bit and they all had either 0 feedback bidders, usernames like the above auction (implying: a nonpaying bidder), or bidders with private feedback.

Microsoft wouldn't be missing out on any money either way. On one scenario, the scalper never intended to own a system, so he wouldn't have bought one in the first place. Therefore only the person who buys from the scalper is the true buyer and either way Microsoft "sells" one system.

If the scalper wants their own Xbox 360 and re-buy it then Microsoft still ends up selling two consoles.

Man, I'll tell you what licks balls. Anyone who wants to sell a console they have for $800+ and still expects the buyer to pay for shipping.

[quote name='howlinmad']You're right....no other consoles have had shortages before this one.

I doubt they are pulling them, but if it's true, it's fitting. Karma really is a mutha fucker. Not sure if this, or my hope of them getting PayPal scammed is better. People buying several with this sole purpose deserve it.[/QUOTE]

That is not the point. Other shortage were not accompanied by a supposed ebay black out (which looks more and more unlikely).

it was the combination of a short shipment coupled with MS forcing an end to ebay sales I was responding to, numbnuts. They can't have it both ways.

And the GC and PSP had plenty of systems at launch.

roughly 10% of the systems that should have showed up at stores, are on ebay...it is not like they are controlling the market. If someone that didn't get a system wanted one, there is plenty of time before the holidays, and one need to be good at tracking one day and making daily calls to stores.

Maybe in a weird way MS might care about their customers. I'm pretty sure if you waited in line, didn't get one and saw some asshole trying to seel one "on hand" for $2500 you probably would boycott MS; why I don't know , but some people are like this. It also can be related to the whole used game market where game publishers feel they are only making money on the original buy and missing out on the resale market. You would think that big companies like MS, EA, Activision, etc. would have their own "used" market. They could offer on their website a discount on a current game with the trade in of an old title from their company.

[quote name='usickenme']That is not the point. Other shortage were not accompanied by a supposed ebay black out (which looks more and more unlikely).

it was the combination of a short shipment coupled with MS forcing an end to ebay sales I was responding to, numbnuts. They can't have it both ways.

And the GC and PSP had plenty of systems at launch.[/QUOTE]
PS2's shortage was much worse... MS shipped twice as many 360s in the US than PS2's were shipped here at launch. And Sony didn't do a worldwide simulanteous launch, PS2 launched in Japan 8 months before it did here, and they still had a worse shortage.

bread's done
Back