Midway games removed from XBLA, you can't get them at Amazon either

This similar to what happened to Lost Cities. They lost the video game rights when Sierra Online was sold.

This also happens with retail and is why some games cannot be reprinted.

2 other random things, I read that they didn't have the rights to the original artwork for Turtles in Time, so that's why it took so long to release and they had to release it with new artwork. Marvel versus Capcom 2 had something weird where they could release it digitally, but not a physical copy.

First the garbage with the OG Xbox and now this. :roll:

I'm not liking how they've handled DD so far.

Got the Smash TV demo in my history still, yay! (you can play the full game, but you don't get achievements.)

also have UMK3, which is alright, I guess.

I can't believe these 9 games being(most likely temporarily) unavailable pisses people off that much. I am worried about the future of my DLC, but to swear off gaming because of DD sounds like pile of BS.

They made a mistake by removing the original Xbox DLC before stopping the service, but they fixed that within a week. This is most likely a licencing issue that was caused by Midway's bankruptcy(and probably ties to a renewal date that is different for live/psn) and those games could easily show up in the future.

I just want an acknowledgement that Arcade games will work on the next generation system. Even if I have to pay some sort of small transfer fee(ala rockband 1 songs) I'm cool with it.

[quote name='hufferstl']They made a mistake by removing the original Xbox DLC before stopping the service, but they fixed that within a week.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it still all goes away in mid-April. All their "fix" did was to give a few months reprieve. I can understand them not wanting to run Halo 2 servers (if special servers for the game are required) forever if hardly anyone is playing the game online anymore, but removal of DLC, etc. isn't cool.

And I'm even speaking as someone who never owned an original XBox in the first place, and has a grand total of five games that are backward compatible, none of which I play online anyway. If I actually had an investment in a system and a whole collection of games, I'd be seriously pissed. As it is, it makes me very, very concerned about what to expect when Microsoft decides not to support this generation anymore, especially since the whole DLC thing has really grown to a much greater extent on this generation.

[quote name='hufferstl']I just want an acknowledgement that Arcade games will work on the next generation system. Even if I have to pay some sort of small transfer fee(ala rockband 1 songs) I'm cool with it.[/QUOTE]

See, and that right there is the issue. If anything, the removal of original XBox service (even for backward-compatible titles) means that you shouldn't expect them to work on the next generation system. Or even if they do, you should expect that they can be pulled out from under you at any point regardless.

[quote name='dchrisd']Might want to hold off buying from Amazon. You might not be able to get to your games later. When Double Dragon was delisted, people had problems getting the full version of their game up and running when reinstalling the game whether due to transferring to another HDD or something else. Ain't digital distribution great.[/QUOTE]

They had double dragon???? Is there anyway i can trade to get a code and download it ok? I really want that game bad. I was a huge fan in the arcades.

[quote name='arcane93']See, and that right there is the issue. If anything, the removal of original XBox service (even for backward-compatible titles) means that you shouldn't expect them to work on the next generation system. Or even if they do, you should expect that they can be pulled out from under you at any point regardless.[/QUOTE]
No, you shouldn't. Nothing you can do or say will convince MS or any other of the console companies otherwise, so you'll have to decide if you're willing to pay now and get insulted later after you're done with the game or just whiz the concept entirely.

[quote name='hufferstl']I can't believe these 9 games being(most likely temporarily) unavailable pisses people off that much. I am worried about the future of my DLC, but to swear off gaming because of DD sounds like pile of BS.[/QUOTE]

I think you're missing the general point most people were making. It's more about "the direction we're headed" and the fact that many people in the industry view digital distribution as a legitimate alternative to physical media (look no further than the PSPgo).

Discontinuing support for certain XBLA elements is just a small sign of things to come, and a representation of many of the questions that get swept under the rug when digital distribution is being pitched. If people knew that the things they "owned" could be taken away at any given instance, how many of those people do you think would feel safe making the investment? I'd wager not many.

btw the PS3 Midway games (MK2, Rampart, etc) were ported and published by Sony themselves, so the license agreement is probably different.

Any time anything gets delisted, people are going to uproar. Unfortunately, this isn't anything that any digital download service will ever have control over. If a company goes under and the rights to the games go up in the air, DD version are going to disappear.

[quote name='ninja dog']Any time anything gets delisted, people are going to uproar. Unfortunately, this isn't anything that any digital download service will ever have control over. If a company goes under and the rights to the games go up in the air, DD version are going to disappear.[/QUOTE]

Right. And there lies another positive for having a physical copy. Nobody is going to come into your home, take the game off your shelf, and say "I'm sorry. We lost the license. You can't play this anymore." Obviously, these old ass Midway arcade games are a small example. But it's not like MS doesn't have full retail games available to download. Is it beyond the realm of possibility something similar happens to them down the road?

I wonder if I can get credit from MS for these now unusable Joust and Robotron codes I have. Doubt it but worth a shot.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Right. And there lies another positive for having a physical copy. Nobody is going to come into your home, take the game off your shelf, and say "I'm sorry. We lost the license. You can't play this anymore." Obviously, these old ass Midway arcade games are a small example. But it's not like MS doesn't have full retail games available to download. Is it beyond the realm of possibility something similar happens to them down the road?[/QUOTE]Of course that's possible and will happen.
And there's nothing we can do about it.
This is just one of the tradeoffs of full DD.

The only way to play these in the future will be via emulation or piracy.

[quote name='dallow']Of course that's possible and will happen.
And there's nothing we can do about it.
This is just one of the tradeoffs of full DD.

The only way to play these in the future will be via emulation or piracy.[/QUOTE]

Well, what we can do about it is vote with our dollars. Refuse to buy the full DD games and show companies that discs still matter. The only people that scare me are the ones who think "Digital distribution is great! No clutter or having to switch discs!"

[quote name='salty tbone']I wonder if I can get credit from MS for these now unusable Joust and Robotron codes I have. Doubt it but worth a shot.[/QUOTE]
Yep, I have a Robotron card too. Let me know if you have any luck.

I've been hearing a bunch about stuff being taken off the market place lately. I heard everything Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 has been removed. Is there a list of stuff not available anymore?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, what we can do about it is vote with our dollars. Refuse to buy the full DD games and show companies that discs still matter. The only people that scare me are the ones who think "Digital distribution is great! No clutter or having to switch discs!"[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the "[insert company] is too big to ever fail! my investment is safe!" Tell that to the MSN Music subscribers who can't get new license keys... or original Xbox owners. The company may still be around but if they decide to turn off the DRM-support infrastructure, you're screwed.

This isn't about these specific games-- it's the fact that ANY game can just up and disappear for any reason. Read the Xbox Live Terms of Service, pretty much nothing is guaranteed.

DD is just a glorified rental, nothing more or less.

[quote name='mossman43']This is exactly why I hate Microsoft in the gaming business. I remember reading in a EGM a year ago or so how they are looking towards digital distribution with their next console. Don't get me wrong, I have a 360 and all, but I just hate them. If we really do move to digital distribution over physical copies, I am done gaming on newer consoles. I will stick with the retro 2D stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'm no Microsoft apologist, but it's not as if they're the only ones pushing in that direction.

[quote name='Justin42']Don't forget the "[insert company] is too big to ever fail! my investment is safe!" Tell that to the MSN Music subscribers who can't get new license keys... or original Xbox owners. The company may still be around but if they decide to turn off the DRM-support infrastructure, you're screwed.

This isn't about these specific games-- it's the fact that ANY game can just up and disappear for any reason. Read the Xbox Live Terms of Service, pretty much nothing is guaranteed.

DD is just a glorified rental, nothing more or less.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true. I keep a catalog of my video game collection, but I've never kept a list of my downloaded games. I never consciously thought about it until now, but I guess it's because deep down I don't really think I actually own something unless I can hold it.

[quote name='Chuplayer']DLC? NEVER AGAIN FOR ME.

Except for Steam. Steam supposedly has some sort of contingency plan.[/QUOTE]There is no 'contingency plan'.
If a company loses a license to sell a game, it will go away.

Steam lost a number of games just a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Chuplayer']DLC? NEVER AGAIN FOR ME.

Except for Steam. Steam supposedly has some sort of contingency plan.[/QUOTE]

Ah well more money for your dolls.

Combine this with the loss of oXbox DLC and I have to say that this is where the pirates take on the role of archivist/curators.

Classic games, but most of these versions were pretty crappy, to be honest.

Oh and for the record I still buy CDs also. If you are paying $10 for an album on CD that's reasonable, but for some compressed digital files that's way too much money.

[quote name='sstcrush']Do the games disappear if theyre already on my HD?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I was playing the verboten Double Dragon a few days ago.

[quote name='dallow']There is no 'contingency plan'.
If a company loses a license to sell a game, it will go away.

Steam lost a number of games just a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Say what? Elaborate.

I know they no longer sell Outrun 2006, but you're still able to redownload it.

I don't see how stoping to distribute a DD is any different then having a game go OOP. Did you want some of these games on XBLA? Well you should have got them while they were in "print".

[quote name='KingDox']I don't see how stoping to distribute a DD is any different then having a game go OOP. Did you want some of these games on XBLA? Well you should have got them while they were in "print".[/QUOTE]

Unless you still have codes...

Bah, even with the demo on your console, it still won't let you unlock the full version. Crap.

[quote name='KingDox']I don't see how stoping to distribute a DD is any different then having a game go OOP. Did you want some of these games on XBLA? Well you should have got them while they were in "print".[/QUOTE]

Because you can still buy a game that is OOP, from other sources. Surely you knew that already ;)

[quote name='porieux']Because you can still buy a game that is OOP, from other sources. Surely you knew that already ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, you could technically buy someones XBL account and get the digital version of the game. 20 years from now what version of Rez will be worth more? The HD version on someone's old 360 or the PS2 version? It's a great question.

Some one said they still had robotron codes. How long did you think those codes would be valid? Forever? At least MS is giving the points value to folks. It just goes to show you if you have XBLA codes don't hold on to them forever. And if you think DD is going any place you obviously haven't seen the PSP go, the whole damn thing was built for DD.

Yeah atleast with an actual copy of the game theres always eBay and endless used systems to play it on.

XBL content on the other hand was yours to re-download if you bought it, but if you never bought it your SOL. Same can't be said for hard copies of a game.

Shitty game or not It's still a low blow for Digitial Distribution and their should more effort on Steam and/or MS's side to sell it to the public or work out the legal mumbo jumbo so everyone can have the peace of the pie.

Anyways I think It's time to move the thread off of the deals forum and bring it to the XBox one.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Wait, why is Double Dragon gone?

It's from Midway?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Another company that got the DD rights went bankrupt. About a month after they went under it was pulled from XBLA. It wasn't exactly a high selling game but the co-op over Live made it worth it.

As far as I know you are still able to play online with others that have the game. I found a match when I booted it up a week ago, but would rather play with some XBL friends and not some random guy.

I wonder how many years this will play out until people whine enough about it to get things straightened out.

In the future, it's going to be really funny when none of these emulated titles work on the next XBOX.

I see, thanks. Damn, I knew I should've bought Double Dragon!

Now I have to wonder if any other versions of that game exist, not the NES or GBA versions...

[quote name='opportunity777']I wonder how many years this will play out until people whine enough about it to get things straightened out.

In the future, it's going to be really funny when none of these emulated titles work on the next XBOX.[/QUOTE]

People keep saying not to worry about it, but every time shit like this happens I can't help but wonder what's going to happen to my digital collections.

I'm more curious to what the big N is going to with WiiWare and other digital titles, considering when you download the game It's locked and licensed to that system.

[quote name='opportunity777']I wonder how many years this will play out until people whine enough about it to get things straightened out.

In the future, it's going to be really funny when none of these emulated titles work on the next XBOX.[/QUOTE]

That's a depressing, but very valid point. But as I get older, at some point I'm gonna have to stop buying systems. Hopefully that point is coming soon so I don't go bankrupt! One day games are gonna cost $100 a piece. But they better be virtual reality, fully interactive games!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm more curious to what the big N is going to with WiiWare and other digital titles, considering when you download the game It's locked and licensed to that system.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they will do nothing.

Digital downloads are supposed to give the consumer infinite archival capability, but these large corporations are squashing that notion at far more rapid pace than my initial projections.

[quote name='kburns10']That's a depressing, but very valid point. But as I get older, at some point I'm gonna have to stop buying systems. Hopefully that point is coming soon so I don't go bankrupt! One day games are gonna cost $100 a piece. But they better be virtual reality, fully interactive games![/QUOTE]

At several points in the past, games have cost almost a $100 a piece or more. Fifteen years ago, a $100 was more valuable. I haven't done any analysis, but minus collectors editions, videogames might actually be cheaper now than before.

I remember buying a 3DO system for $700+. :)

I still have it, but I'm not sure it turns on.

[quote name='kburns10']That's a depressing, but very valid point. But as I get older, at some point I'm gonna have to stop buying systems. Hopefully that point is coming soon so I don't go bankrupt! One day games are gonna cost $100 a piece. But they better be virtual reality, fully interactive games![/QUOTE]

when i own diablo 3 and mass effect 3 i will buy no more games haha.

[quote name='opportunity777']

I still have it, but I'm not sure it turns on.[/QUOTE]

Around the time of the PS3 launch, I think it was Game Informer that put together an interesting chart showing all the consoles' launch prices adjusted for inflation. I remember the 3DO being one of the most expensive.

All that the digital download//DLC nonsense has done is make me buy fewer games. Makes me think twice about purchasing something when I can't ever really own it.

FYI, if anyone wants to own these games on disc, get the Midway Arcade Treasures (1,2,3). These are some great game collections and now they are really cheap! You can get almost all the games listed on the first page cheaper than what it would be for downloading them individually. The GameCube versions are backwards compatible with the Wii. The Xbox versions are not compatible with the 360 (probably for the stupid XBLA games).

Used @ GameStop prices:

Midway Arcade Treasures
Xbox - $7.99 (+50% off in-store)
PS2 - $5.99
GameCube - $2.99

Midway Arcade Treasures 2
Xbox - $4.99 (+50% off in-store)
PS2 - $9.99
GameCube - $7.99

Midway Arcade Treasures 3
Xbox - $3.99 (+50% off in-store)
PS2 - $6.99
GameCube - $5.99

Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play
PSP - $14.99

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...e+matchallpartial&Ntt=Midway Arcade Treasures

[quote name='opportunity777']

I still have it, but I'm not sure it turns on.[/QUOTE]

The Panasonic 3DOs are pretty well built for a CD-based system. My 3DO still works great!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm more curious to what the big N is going to with WiiWare and other digital titles, considering when you download the game It's locked and licensed to that system.[/QUOTE]

Close - it's licensed to your account which is locked to your system. Nintendo can (and has, in some cases, including my own) moved one's account from SystemA to SystemB when necessary.

Here's something interesting though, when my Wii was replaced via Nintendo, my old Wii Shop account was already set up to my replacement Wii - however, nothing was downloaded. The games that I had downloaded to my SD card WOULD NOT WORK - I had to redownload the games again (for free, of course). What's odd is that I could download the game to the system and *then* play the game off the SD card.

So, basically, if you have GameX downloaded, then need to get a new system and, at some point, GameX is removed where you cannot redownload it, you're SOL. I've not heard of this happening with Nintendo though...

bread's done
Back