Midway games removed from XBLA, you can't get them at Amazon either

[quote name='4tygames']The Panasonic 3DOs are pretty well built for a CD-based system. My 3DO still works great![/QUOTE]

Panny 3DOs rock!

Mine is still working just as good as ever and I STILL love the games I have for it even after all of these years.

Star Control 2

Space Hulk

Wing Commander 3

Killing Time

etc., etc.

[quote name='opportunity777'] At several points in the past, games have cost almost a $100 a piece or more. Fifteen years ago, a $100 was more valuable. I haven't done any analysis, but minus collectors editions, videogames might actually be cheaper now than before.[/QUOTE]

That's true. I remember Virtua Racing and Phantasy Star IV were two of these $100 titles and they were the only available regular edition. I remember paying 70 or 80 for Street Fighter 2 Turbo on SNES and about the same for Conker's Bad Fur Day on N64 some years later. Cartridge prices were harsh...

I hope these games come back to XBLA!! I already own the majority of Midway Classics on compilations or original carts but still terrible nonetheless. This is why I prefer physical over digital distribution always!!:cool:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hey, everyone, it's THAT guy! Give him a hand! :applause:[/QUOTE]

oh is it a deal now? is that why it was moved to the xbox 360 discussion forum?

gah, they released a patch for Smash TV, so you can't play the whole game in the demo. are you able to skip updates and still play? I'll clear my cache if so...

[quote name='n64ra']oh is it a deal now? is that why it was moved to the xbox 360 discussion forum?[/QUOTE]

Hey, guys, everyone clap for the cool kid. He was right! :applause:

By the way, moron, the original post included information about the games still being available for purchase on Amazon. But good job being the douche of the thread.

[quote name='opportunity777']I wonder how many years this will play out until people whine enough about it to get things straightened out.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be a dick, just being blunt here....nothing will ever get straightened out. Most gamers will easily be swayed and have no willpower. Threaten a boycott maybe? Won't matter. Game boycotts always consist of "I hate (some company), and except for (some game by that company), I'm through supporting them." That doesn't work; that's not a boycott.

Eventually gamers will be conditioned that not owning the games you buy is good because (insert bullshit reasons here) - which is really fucking sad, but I'm already seeing it start to happen.

I'm firmly convinced one of the reasons Microsoft is not in a hurry to move to their next console is because they will do it as a digital distribution-only system, and the longer they wait, the more conditioned their audience will be to accept that it is ok to do that. They'll pack a 1 TB hard drive in the box and tell us it's a revolutionary concept in consoles.

And from then on, Sony will follow suit - and I only say follow since I think MS will want to beat Sony to market again - and we will never actually "own" games again. That'll be the time I stop gaming, by the way.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Actually if they're smart from a business sense, they won't. Then they can charge us all again. Sucks for all of us, good for them.[/QUOTE]

Actually, from a smart business sense, they should make it transferable for the same reason they do game backwards compatibility. Because it's a selling point that would improve the next gen console's sales, improving odds that owners of their old gen console will adopt their new gen system, and encouraging them to buy the new gen sooner.

Anyway, for the anti direct download folks, as direct download increases, standards will form like lifetime redownloadability. It's not like physical games never get destroyed either. And for those that complain about backups, it's pretty easy to backup a computer hard drive, which is all that's in those little mounting cases.

More importantly, I think most of you imagine the prices will be the same once physical games are out of the picture. But in actuallity, retail stores won't be able to bully console makers in to making MSRP on digital media the same as physical media, and prices will plummet. That's right, it's retailers refusing to stock physical copies of games if cheaper direct downloads were available that inflates download prices. Imagine all new AAA games launching at just $20-30 as nearly all the middlemen involved in retail are eliminated as well as the cost of physical media, packaging and shipping. And as long as there are multiple console makers competing with eachother, prices will get that low.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Right. And there lies another positive for having a physical copy. Nobody is going to come into your home, take the game off your shelf, and say "I'm sorry. We lost the license. You can't play this anymore." Obviously, these old ass Midway arcade games are a small example. But it's not like MS doesn't have full retail games available to download. Is it beyond the realm of possibility something similar happens to them down the road?[/QUOTE]

I don't see the parallel. People still have the games they downloaded. All they might have lost at this point was their free replacement copies if they happen to break/lose their equivalent of a "disc".

About the only concession in the arguement I'll give is that digital distro destroys the secondary market (used games, etc).

I'm sure the piracy market and/or internet will prevent any permanent losses. After all, the hard drives can be hooked up to computers.

[quote name='watcher0']More importantly, I think most of you imagine the prices will be the same once physical games are out of the picture. But in actuallity, retail stores won't be able to bully console makers in to making MSRP on digital media the same as physical media, and prices will plummet. That's right, it's retailers refusing to stock physical copies of games if cheaper direct downloads were available that inflates download prices. Imagine all new AAA games launching at just $20-30 as nearly all the middlemen involved in retail are eliminated as well as the cost of physical media, packaging and shipping. And as long as there are multiple console makers competing with eachother, prices will get that low.[/QUOTE]

You're naive to think that companies will lower the prices of games that people have proven are willing to pay, just because there would no longer be the retail overhead.

Companies will charge what they think you will pay.

[quote name='watcher0']

I'm sure the piracy market and/or internet will prevent any permanent losses. After all, the hard drives can be hooked up to computers.[/QUOTE]

Ya, but doing that is breaking the law. Why should people have to do that to retain ownership of a game?

[quote name='mogamer']Ya, but doing that is breaking the law. Why should people have to do that to retain ownership of a game?[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. But you can also buy a 2nd hard drive and keep legal backups of everything.

[quote name='ninja dog']gah, they released a patch for Smash TV, so you can't play the whole game in the demo. are you able to skip updates and still play? I'll clear my cache if so...[/QUOTE]
You can still play, just not online I thought.
As in, your super cool bros won't be able to see you playing that sweet trial version.

Hey, wait a minute. Does this mean all the physical Midway releases will be OOP too? Wheelman? UT3? Stranglehold? I don't think there are any Midway titles I want right now that I don't already have, thankfully.

[quote name='James1221']when i own diablo 3 and mass effect 3 i will buy no more games haha.[/QUOTE]

Let's see you say that when Diablo 4 comes out...or are you expecting to have died of old age by then or something? :whistle2:k

[quote name='dallow']You can still play, just not online I thought.
As in, your super cool bros won't be able to see you playing that sweet trial version.[/QUOTE]

I have zero people on my friends list :lol:

but good thinking, if I clear my cache, then play offline, I should avoid the patch.

[quote name='KingDox']Well, you could technically buy someones XBL account and get the digital version of the game. 20 years from now what version of Rez will be worth more? The HD version on someone's old 360 or the PS2 version? It's a great question.

Some one said they still had robotron codes. How long did you think those codes would be valid? Forever? At least MS is giving the points value to folks. It just goes to show you if you have XBLA codes don't hold on to them forever. And if you think DD is going any place you obviously haven't seen the PSP go, the whole damn thing was built for DD.[/QUOTE]

i still have a code for joust, how can i get the point value back???

[quote name='polo14player']i still have a code for joust, how can i get the point value back???[/QUOTE]

Someone in the thread said they called MS and got the point value for Robotron I think.

Oh weird...I would have thought those cards/codes would still work, I mean if you already paid for it...

[quote name='watcher0']Let's see you say that when Diablo 4 comes out...or are you expecting to have died of old age by then or something? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

With the pace at which blizzard works, that is actually a legitimate thing to say.

bread's done
Back