Midway games removed from XBLA, you can't get them at Amazon either

This is exactly why I hate Microsoft in the gaming business. I remember reading in a EGM a year ago or so how they are looking towards digital distribution with their next console. Don't get me wrong, I have a 360 and all, but I just hate them. If we really do move to digital distribution over physical copies, I am done gaming on newer consoles. I will stick with the retro 2D stuff.

[quote name='arcane93']This is exactly my concern about DLC and downloadable games as a whole. Sure, we'd like to hope they'll still be available when we want them, but will they? How long will any of this content remain available once the next console generation appears? It used to be that if you bought a game, you bought it for life -- I can (and do) still dig out my Atari 2600 or my Super Nintendo and play any of the games that I bought on those consoles. With games now, though -- in even ten years, if it was a downloadable game, forget it; if it was a DLC add-on, forget it.

And even worse, with the advent of consoles with hard drives and internet connections, game developers have become more and more prone to releasing buggy games and relying on patching them, simply because they can. How often do you get a brand new release, only to find that the first thing that you have to do before you can even play it is download an "update" fixing something that the developer didn't get around to before the discs were pressed? Guess what -- in ten years, when you want to pull out that game and run it on your emulator (or your backward-compatible PS4/XBox 720/whatever) because your console has long since died, you'll be running that unpatched, buggy copy, because the patch won't be available to you anymore.

I'm not saying that we should all refuse to buy any downloadable content whatsoever or anything like that, but recent events like this, Activision pulling the MUA DLC because of licensing, and the removal of original XBox content from Live should serve as a wake-up call. We, as consumers, need to start holding the industry accountable for what they're selling to us, and demand a guarantee that the content that we purchase will be available to us for as long as we still want it, in whatever form it takes to make it happen. Otherwise, this hobby that we invest so much of our time and money in becomes a disposable one.[/QUOTE]

What's the problem with downloading it to your hard drive and then leaving it there? Then you would be in the exact same position as you are with physical media: you have a physical copy (which for better or for worse could be damaged and made unplayable) that will still work whenever you choose to drag out this console. But with digital media, you have the additional option of re-downloading it (for the lifetime of the service) should you delete it or damage it. You can't do that if you damage your purchased physical copy. The only difficulty is that the digital media is more difficult for you to resell?

I bring this up because I hear your argument all the time, but I don't remember anyone explaining why this is so different from having purchased a physical copy. I like owning a physical copy, also, but this seems more like a personal preference than a complaint about the entire nature of digital media.

[quote name='mossman43']This is exactly why I hate Microsoft in the gaming business. I remember reading in a EGM a year ago or so how they are looking towards digital distribution with their next console. Don't get me wrong, I have a 360 and all, but I just hate them. If we really do move to digital distribution over physical copies, I am done gaming on newer consoles. I will stick with the retro 2D stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. I don't THINK that'll happen for the next consoles, but it could, and they'll try to do it at some point. They're already doing it with a lot of good games-Braid, Shadow Complex, Torchlight.

[quote name='_heretic']What's the problem with downloading it to your hard drive and then leaving it there? Then you would be in the exact same position as you are with physical media: you have a physical copy (which for better or for worse could be damaged and made unplayable) that will still work whenever you choose to drag out this console.[/quote]

It's not at all the same position. You can't run it on another backup system without activation. Besides that, you can't sell it, rent it, have all the stores we have to buy from now, etc.

[quote name='_heretic']What's the problem with downloading it to your hard drive and then leaving it there? Then you would be in the exact same position as you are with physical media: you have a physical copy (which for better or for worse could be damaged and made unplayable) that will still work whenever you choose to drag out this console. But with digital media, you have the additional option of re-downloading it (for the lifetime of the service) should you delete it or damage it. You can't do that if you damage your purchased physical copy. The only difficulty is that the digital media is more difficult for you to resell?

I bring this up because I hear your argument all the time, but I don't remember anyone explaining why this is so different from having purchased a physical copy. I like owning a physical copy, also, but this seems more like a personal preference than a complaint about the entire nature of digital media.[/QUOTE]
* I can have any number of discs. I'm limited to a certain hdd space.
* HDDs have a much lower shelf life than discs.
* HDDs are much more expensive per mb than discs.
* If my xbox360 dies I need to jump through considerable hoops to get these games working again.
* MS can decide supporting legacy DRM is too expensive at some arbitrary point in the future making the above point an endgame.

I'm sure I could come up with more if I had time.

[quote name='integralsmatic']great so if my 360 dies, i lose my midway games i paid for? WTF![/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone has confirmed that yet. I *HOPE* Microsoft has it in their contracts that people who have paid for stuff get to keep access to it indefinitely. So HOPEFULLY you'll be okay until Microsoft stops supporting the 360, or whatever :whistle2:/

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hey, everyone, it's THAT guy! Give him a hand! :applause:[/QUOTE]

:lol:

It's a disturbing issue. No doubt about that. But in all honesty, we've been saying this was a possibility for a long time, and anyone who is buying content should have already been aware that MS could pull the rug out from under us at any time. I've bought a lot of games and content from them, and I will definitely be pissed if they don't support it for a fair amount of time (indefinitely to me is a bit of a stretch), but at the same time, I've gone in with the realization this could happen, so if it does, it does.

On the same sort of ballpark of topics, what happens to all of our DLC when the next xbox comes out? Especially in reference to music game DLC. I haven't heard anyone talking about this, but really - what happens??

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Shoo codes still work I had a 12 month card with joust on it. Just read this and redeemed it and it did download.[/QUOTE]

Interesting...I still have a UMK3 code somewhere that I never used.

[quote name='integralsmatic']great so if my 360 dies, i lose my midway games i paid for? WTF![/QUOTE]

No if you bought them once you can still redownload them, they just can't sell any *new* ones.

[quote name='_heretic']But with digital media, you have the additional option of re-downloading it (for the lifetime of the service) should you delete it or damage it. You can't do that if you damage your purchased physical copy.[/QUOTE]

Um, clearly you missed my point entirely, though you also pretty much make it yourself by using the phrase "for the life of the service". Who is to say that I'll only want to play my XBox 360 games "for the life of the service"? You do realize, right, that as Microsoft prepares to "retire" the original XBox from the Live service, it's really only been online for seven and a half years? And that many of the games that are being shut down with it have been online for considerably less than that? And guess what -- once that service goes down in April, you'll never be downloading that content again.

Hell, I have Atari 2600 games that I bought in 1982 (yes, I'm old) that I still play from time to time. If they'd been downloads, I'd have lost them years ago.

If hard drives weren't prone to failure, or if Microsoft didn't block me from making backups of my legally purchased content, I'd have less of a problem with it. But hard drives do fail, and there's nothing that I can do to stop it. I can't make backups. If my hard drive fails and my content has become unavailable because Microsoft or the publisher has pulled it, I'm out of luck.

On the other hand, I do have control over my physical media. Now, granted, it is possible to damage physical media, and I've seen some utterly appalling condition on some used games, so clearly not everyone takes good care of their discs. But for me, my games are either in the console or in the case and on the shelf, period. As long as I take care of them, they're mine forever.

Except, of course, for those patches that make the games actually run correctly. Those I'll have to live without as soon as Microsoft decides to drop the XBox 360 from Live (2013?). I guess that tearing in Darksiders that was just fixed will be back someday!

I'm not talking about reselling games -- I hardly ever resell games anyway. I'm talking about my basic right to access the games that I pay for.

[quote name='hufferstl']On the same sort of ballpark of topics, what happens to all of our DLC when the next xbox comes out? Especially in reference to music game DLC. I haven't heard anyone talking about this, but really - what happens??[/QUOTE]

The HDDs on the 360 are detachable last I checked...

If they're smart, they'll make them compatible with the next system.

[quote name='watcher0']The HDDs on the 360 are detachable last I checked...

If they're smart, they'll make them compatible with the next system.[/QUOTE]

Actually if they're smart from a business sense, they won't. Then they can charge us all again. Sucks for all of us, good for them.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm wondering what happens if you have the demo downloaded to your hard drive and you try to make the purchase. Most likely, you'll be given the middle finger in an error message and you won't be able to make the purchase.

Guess I'll try it this evening and see what happens.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same thing, so if you still intend on trying this I'm definitely interested to know the results. Even though I think you're probably right about that middle finger.

I knew shit like this was gonna happen. Tho the original Xbox didn't have the marketplace set right so hopefully Xbla will be different with the 720 but I'm not betting on it.

At least they finally let you do that license transfer thing once a year.

Nintendo needs to get off their ass and bring their DRM up to Xbox levels so I can get some more Virtual Consoles games :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']At least they finally let you do that license transfer thing once a year.

Nintendo needs to get off their ass and bring their DRM up to Xbox levels so I can get some more Virtual Consoles games :D[/QUOTE]

Or they could be like Sony and allow you to use your content on multiple system, and no once a year limit either

Please no! I don't want to pay 5x the price for my hard drive on the xbox 720. There is no reason for it other than to screw people. Just say no to HDD backwards compatibility!

[quote name='62t']Or they could be like Sony and allow you to use your content on multiple system, and no once a year limit either[/QUOTE]

Yeah, either way I'd start getting VC stuff again! I wrote to them a couple of days ago saying just that. The guy actually said he was passing it on :(

I kind of like the Microsoft method because you don't lose an activation slot just because your hardware dies, like you would with Sony. Not that hardware EVER died ;)

If you could do both, that would be better still :D Knock off an activation once a year for a system you can't use anymore, but otherwise still have the ability to do it yourself manually.

Crazy thing with Nintendo is THEY KNOW it's me. My Nintendo.com ID was associated with the console! They know I got the games, they know it's me on the new system...but do they care? No.

Well that blows. I've been meaning to buy smash TV for some time now, but just never bothered too yet.

DAMN YOU PROCRASTINATION! YOU STRIKE AGAIN!

At least I have robotron still. >_>

Hooray for the digital age. Mass acceptance of Digital distribution will be when I stop gaming.

On a less whiny note, I'm sure these will show up in game room. And there they will only cost 3 dollars a piece. So be happy.

[quote name='genfuyung']Hooray for the digital age. Mass acceptance of Digital distribution will be when I stop gaming.

On a less whiny note, I'm sure these will show up in game room. And there they will only cost 3 dollars a piece. So be happy.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, Game Room titles are all rated E, possibly no higher than T. So you can absolutely count MK out.

You're KIDDING. Surely not? Way to make it even lamer still.

Seriously. NES games. Genesis Games. SegaCD games. SNES games. Saturn games. Get on it! I don't care about crap arcade games :whistle2:/

Yeah Game Room titles are just going to be old 70's/early 80's arcade games. You'll see Pac-Man and the like on there before you see the Midway games (especially stuff like MK and Smash TV.)

Major Nelson tweeted that they will talk about it on his show coming out on Sunday, but I doubt it will be much more than a glorified PR response.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah Game Room titles are just going to be old 70's/early 80's arcade games. You'll see Pac-Man and the like on there before you see the Midway games (especially stuff like MK and Smash TV.)

Major Nelson tweeted that they will talk about it on his show coming out on Sunday, but I doubt it will be much more than a glorified PR response.[/QUOTE]
Not true at all. At x10 it was confirmed that the first console games to be added are atari 2600 and intellivision. ALSO, giantbomb said that the first thing the guy they were interviewing mentioned as far as systems was the dreamcast but wouldnt go any further than a mention.

With the Midway games... they aren't available to download anymore, but what about if you have the 'demos' on the console? Can you still unlock the full game since, technically, you have it on your console already... or is that dead, too?

[quote name='watcher0']The HDDs on the 360 are detachable last I checked...

If they're smart, they'll make them compatible with the next system.[/QUOTE]
That'd be nice, but unfortunately it's pretty much wishful thinking. mrosnwo already made a good point in regards to this. I think Microsoft's track record speaks for itself. How many of the peripherals from the original Xbox are officially supported by the 360? IIRC only the original Xbox Live headset works with 360 controllers.

I really doubt it. Double Dragon was taken away. Yet when I got my 360 back I went to my download history and it let me download it again.;)

[quote name='Vectorman0']They just replied to my inquiry and refused a refund because "I viewed the code." As if there was any way to have not viewed the code...

I sent a stern reply, I wonder how they will respond.[/QUOTE]

Just to follow up: they issued me $10 promotional credit in the end.

[quote name='genfuyung']Hooray for the digital age. Mass acceptance of Digital distribution will be when I stop gaming.

On a less whiny note, I'm sure these will show up in game room. And there they will only cost 3 dollars a piece. So be happy.[/QUOTE]

This. As much as I love having instant access to stuff, when you make such a large investment in something that a company can just stop supporting at any time, or decide that it's not important enough to include in their next product, it's going to rub people the wrong way. I've been saying for the past year that digital distribution and this business model of double and triple dipping will eventually kill the industry. There's only so far that people can be pushed before they say enough is enough.

It's like companies are trying to change the definition of what OWNING something means. I still don't understand how I can "buy" a high def movie on my 360 for 1200 points and feel like I actually own it. My blu-rays I can take anywhere, let friends borrow, trade for another, etc. That's the idea with buying property. Now it seems all they want to sell you is the "right" to watch/play something...as though it's a privilege.

[quote name='genfuyung']Hooray for the digital age. Mass acceptance of Digital distribution will be when I stop gaming.[/QUOTE]
Same. I guess it's because I'm getting "too old" or whatever, but the day a disc is no longer an option, that's the day I'm done with this shit. Ditto goes for music - I'll never pay for anything again if CDs ever stop being made. I'm not worried about the latter happening anytime soon, it's the former that could be a lot closer than we think.

When I buy a game, I want to own a game - not own a "license to play it." Digital distribution takes the control out of your hands completely.

Is it time for us to start buying out Midway games from Amazon to sell them for future profit?

If there was a way to cleanly backup and restore digital content, much of the problems posted would be moot-- look at gog.com-- I buy something there, it's MINE, and I can theoretically continue to download it (or not) as much as I want. But if they pull it, I could have a backup and be able to keep installing it forever, or for as long as my copy/copies keep working.

The problem is the DRM involved here. You CAN'T just make a backup. You pay the company to buy "X" but you're really entering a long term lease, that's revokable by them at any time for any reason. When your Xbox blows up, you have to hope it's still redownloadable to get another copy. If it gets pulled-- oops, sorry, you should've read the terms and conditions. Whereas if my Atari 2600 blows up today, I could go to Ebay, get a new one, and have NO problems playing ANY of the games I own. The problem is most people don't understand that when they buy digitally from 90% of stores, they're not buying the content, just a revokable licence to USE the content.

If MS is already giving up on the original Xbox, who really thinks they'll keep supporting the 360 5-10 years from the launch of the new one?

I should note, I don't TOTALLY avoid buying digitally but I only buy from sales and keep prices down. No way in hell will I buy a $60 game digitally distributed. If that same game is on a Steam sale for $5, it's much less of a risk long-term and I'm not out much if I have to try to find another copy later on... but I will buy a lot more from gog.com or Amazon's MP3 stores since I know what I buy is mine to do what I want with it, now and in the future.

[quote name='SimaYi']Is it time for us to start buying out Midway games from Amazon to sell them for future profit?[/QUOTE]I'd be willing to bet will see these games re-released with each generation of consoles, if not more frequently. Besides, these ports were less than perfect to begin with.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Interesting...I still have a UMK3 code somewhere that I never used.[/QUOTE]

UMk and joust codes no longer working./

[quote name='KaneRobot']Same. I guess it's because I'm getting "too old" or whatever, but the day a disc is no longer an option, that's the day I'm done with this shit. Ditto goes for music - I'll never pay for anything again if CDs ever stop being made. I'm not worried about the latter happening anytime soon, it's the former that could be a lot closer than we think.

When I buy a game, I want to own a game - not own a "license to play it." Digital distribution takes the control out of your hands completely.[/QUOTE]

People still buy CDs? Sorry, a little off topic, but I had to comment. The music industry has already become something that I can do without. The way they treat their customers nowadays (*cough* RIAA *cough*) just makes us want to download more music, and not their lossy, DRM filled crap. The only music I still buy is movie soundtracks, and I typically get those through 3rd party sellers (marketplace/ebay). I'm still trying to understand the logic behind the pricing on the 30th Anniversary Star Wars OST box. The DVD set is only around $30, but they want $80 for the music by itself. Am I the only one annoyed by that?

Back on topic, I will NEVER buy new release games digitally. If physical copies cease to exist, I'm done with console gaming. Hell, I despise online activation for PC games when I do own the disc. I refuse to do it for games or software. I'd never buy digital copies.

[quote name='Viper187']People still buy CDs? Sorry, a little off topic, but I had to comment. The music industry has already become something that I can do without. The way they treat their customers nowadays (*cough* RIAA *cough*) just makes us want to download more music, and not their lossy, DRM filled crap. The only music I still buy is movie soundtracks, and I typically get those through 3rd party sellers (marketplace/ebay). I'm still trying to understand the logic behind the pricing on the 30th Anniversary Star Wars OST box. The DVD set is only around $30, but they want $80 for the music by itself. Am I the only one annoyed by that?

Back on topic, I will NEVER buy new release games digitally. If physical copies cease to exist, I'm done with console gaming. Hell, I despise online activation for PC games when I do own the disc. I refuse to do it for games or software. I'd never buy digital copies.[/QUOTE]

I still buy CDs. But then again I still buy vinyl too. I also would never support full digital distribution of games. There's something to be said for actually owning the physical product - for all the reasons other people have listed.

I contacted amazon about a refund for UMK3 and they told me to contact microsoft about it.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that your game code isn't working.

Please contact Microsoft Xbox support for product help. I've provided the contact information below:

We hope to see you again soon.

bread's done
Back