Minecraft - Who else is playing?

[quote name='moojuice']Furnace to cook meat.
Equip and right click to eat.[/QUOTE]

thanks, another newb question....how do I get the furnace to turn on ? there isnt any fire in it.

I hoped on during the free weekend to play MC MP. It was fun but I really would have to devote some serious time to this game to get good at it. I play the freeware verison every now and then for 10 mins or so.

[quote name='HotShotX']Any willing to make a CAG only server?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to but wouldn't know where to start. I'd definitely be down to donating towards one.

[quote name='xNekroNx']I'd like to but wouldn't know where to start. I'd definitely be down to donating towards one.[/QUOTE]

Starting a server is easy: http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp

Multiplayer alpha server software

Minecraft alpha multiplayer support is currently under heavy development, and is riddled with bugs. You can help test it, though. It will get better soon, I promise!

If you're running on windows and just want to set up a server easily, download Minecraft_Server.exe, place it anywhere you want, then run it.
If you want to run the server on any other OS, or want to run it without the gui, it's a bit more involved.
First, make sure you can use java from the command line. On linux and mac, this should automatically work, but on windows you might want to set up a PATH system variable.
Then download minecraft_server.jar to anywhere, then launch it as:
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

Securing it, backing it up against griefers, and running it on a strong, dedicated PC for currently 16 and in the future 64 players (or however many we'd want), that's a different topic. But, gotta start somewhere.

Also, I totally recommend a TeamSpeak/Ventrilo server for the group.

~HotShotX

I would join such a server..

I can already imagine the giant CheapyD head that I would create..

[quote name='HotShotX']Starting a server is easy: http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp

Securing it, backing it up against griefers, and running it on a strong, dedicated PC for currently 16 and in the future 64 players (or however many we'd want), that's a different topic. But, gotta start somewhere.

Also, I totally recommend a TeamSpeak/Ventrilo server for the group.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

yeah i tried running my own server. waaaaaay too laggy. I tried gathering my first block of wood and my game crashed haha.

Just bought the game and I'm in love. Unfortunately it doesn't run so great on my netbook but it's a blast whenever i have a chance on my desktop.

I also get a kick out of the let's play Minecraft vids all over youtube. Plus that one fan made trailer gave me goosebumps.

[quote name='xNekroNx']yeah i tried running my own server. waaaaaay too laggy. I tried gathering my first block of wood and my game crashed haha.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[quote name='HotShotX']I nominate dukeruckley to run a Minecraft server, as he is a total baller and all-around good leader.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

I can run a server, but I can't promise it'll be up around the clock. I'm also not going to open it up to everyone... For now, I'll just open it to CAG folks who PM me with their username.

I may have to limit the number of people on too. It depends on how laggy it is, and how much it slows my computer down.

If anyone has any suggestions on Mod tools, please let me know!

Edit: I just created a server and it seems to be working for me. I'm using hey0's mod for admin tools. Currently monsters don't spawn, but once the Halloween update comes out, I'll probably change that. There's no point to it right now when it is impossible to be injured. If you'd like to PM me to join, go right ahead. I may not open it up for a a little bit longer so that I can set up some automated backups.

Do you all want to be able to generate your own items, or should we make it play like a true Minecraft game where we have to mine for our own items?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dukeruckley']Do you all want to be able to generate your own items, or should we make it play like a true Minecraft game where we have to mine for our own items?[/QUOTE]

Make it a true minecraft game, and we mine for our own stuff, survival mode, etc.

~HotShotX

Just updated the server :)

Unfortunately I had to wipe the world we were working on, so we'll have to start fresh. It appears as if our new spawn point is in a desert. I can't seem to break anything nearby the spawn, but I can break stuff once I get a little ways away from it.

Have fun! Anyone else wishing to join, please feel free to PM me and I'll add you to the server whitelist.

[quote name='xNekroNx']i think the servers are getting swamped. definitely cant log in[/QUOTE]

Minecraft's been getting some DDOS attacks recently.

~HotShotX

Eugh, I played legit mining for about a month now I refuse to mine for my things, it simply isn't fun anymore.

I just started a new world. I've been hacking away at trees, but no saplings drop... Maybe it's because I'm in a snow world? (though no snow is falling...)

The way I approach it is I make a shelter at the spawn point, so when I die, I just spawn right inside. Now keeping in mind the eventual finite torches, I'm just going to avoid building large complex forts for now. Hopefully the indefinite fire will still be kept in the game.

Haven't hit any iron deposits either... I keep hearing those background groans, get too scared, and hi tail out of the mine.

Also, mind if I can join the server? We definitely need to do some sort of skype session as well.

[quote name='option.iv']Also, mind if I can join the server? We definitely need to do some sort of skype session as well.[/QUOTE]

Vent server anyone?

Just a heads up, there's a community chest to the right of our default spawn. Stocked it with a few torches, axes, and pickaxes. Should save some start-up time.

Well, logged onto the CAG SMP server. It's pretty cool, although it seems (at least for me) the water/lava is glitched or has been changed in the last update.

I did however find some iron and a bunch of red stone ore. I put it in the spawn boxes so whoever want to use them go ahead. I also made a couple pails, but as of now they seem a little useless.

Nek, you on a router? I believe there's a port that needs to be opened. At least for hosting the server there is.

Though I did connect to the server prior when I didn't open that port.

edit: Here is the default port: 25565

Hey guys, server went down yesterday night at some point. That may have been why you were unable to log in. Sorry about that! I've been pretty busy lately and haven't been checking on the server as often as I'd like.

It's up now, though.

As always, if anyone wants to join, all you need to do is send me your Minecraft username.

I've only been playing Single Player up to this point, but a friend is opening up a Multi-player Server and I'm thinking of hopping on. I just don't like the idea that some weenie can place TNT around my castle and lay waste to all my work.

option.iv, I've actually used fraps to make a few episodes of Minecraft on my own Youtube channel... Your video came out really well, so I look forward to seeing some more!

A new server client update has been released, so I'm going to back up the world and update tonight (if I don't forget, it'll be around 7pm EDT). I'll try and warn anybody on before it happens.

Also, I'll post a list of commands for default users sometime tonight. Mods (currently just HotShotX) and Admins (just me) have a few more commands if you get caught in a bad situation. For example, if you fall into the void, since you can't currently die you'll just be stuck. We can teleport you out.

Quick poll: It seems like the majority want to have a "survival" game, where once damage is added to SMP we actually have to build while avoiding mobs. I like this idea too. But until then, it's not nearly as fun. So here's the question: Until damage has been fixed, would you like to be able to generate your own items?

This would allow us to build massive structures and be creative for now. But once damage is fixed, we'll likely wipe the server and start fresh with mobs and no item generation.

Is the CAG server free for anybody to play on? If so then I would like teh IP'z.

Edit: @Marsman61; When I got bored of playing legit (after about a month) I ended up just using MineEdit to give myself items so that I could build some epic stuff, I ended up spawning myself a ton of TNT and blowing up all the crap that I made legit. :)

[quote name='Phelmo'] @Marsman61; When I got bored of playing legit (after about a month) I ended up just using MineEdit to give myself items so that I could build some epic stuff, I ended up spawning myself a ton of TNT and blowing up all the crap that I made legit. :)[/QUOTE]

That's wild. :applause:

I just downloaded a copy of a friend's world that he'd spent countless hours on. It's stunning how much time he spent building a village and castle. Can't wait to wander around and investigate.

Yeah, for now, if you could just OP whoever. Later on when damage is applied, you can just take it off. For now, SMP is basically the Minecraft Classic MP, except with tools, doors, etc.

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to permanently shut down my Minecraft server. I just don't have the ability to run a dedicated server and it keeps coming down for long periods of time as a result. Hopefully someone else will be better able!

That's too bad, thanks for hosting the server though.

Anyways, I can probably host a server, or at least host it when other's would like to do some group survival. There are still glitches like lighting, hit detection, and health related, but overall, seems pretty solid.

If we could establish some sort of CAG night for this game, I'd be down to host the server. We could do some group spelunkering.

Just waiting on someone to buy my copy of Starcraft so I can have some cash in the paypal account to pay for this. Loved playing the browser version for a while but now I wanna upgrade before beta.

bread's done
Back