Minnesota Deals Topic

gameguy22006

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Thought I'd go ahead and create a topic for Minnesota. As usual, be sure to include specific info such as the store's location when posting a deal (and of course, information about the deal itself). Enjoy! :)

I posted this in the Deals thread, but since this is more pertinent here, I'm putting it in as well. Hope it helps!

Gamerang vs. Gamefly vs. Blockbuster

For what it's worth, here is a breakdown of pricing and some impressions of service. I have both Gamefly and Gamerang right now.

All prices are with 6.5% tax (your state may vary). Gamerang doesn’t charge tax unless in CA. Turnaround times are based from Minnesota.

Gamerang
1 game out
$18 month / $172 year (manually applied discount, must email)

2 games out
$25 month / $239 year (manually applied discount, must email)

Gamefly
1 game out
$16 month / $159 year (prepaid GC discount)

2 games out
$25 month / $235 year (prepaid GC discount)

1 game out - $13 cheaper than Gamerang with prepaid GC discount
2 games out - $4 cheaper than Gamerang with prepaid GC discount

Blockbuster
1 game out
$23.50 month

2 game out
$32.00 month

Gamerang Pros
Much better turnaround time for games, games are checked in within 1 to 2 days vs. 4 to 5 with Gamefly.
Better availability for games due to the smaller subscriber base.

Gamefly Pros
Loyalty plan – Earn $5 credit every 3 months.
Low price games if you want to Keep It.

Gamerang Cons
1 month until they introduce membership benefits on games.
Slightly money for 1 year plan.

Gamefly Cons
Very long turnaround time.
Low availability on new releases.

Blockbuster Pros
No waiting. Always have a game when you want.
Not worth getting the two game plan per reason above.

Blockbuster Cons
Most expensive option.
At the mercy of what is available in the store.
Limited Selection. May not have many copies of new/older games.

If you can afford the 1 year prepay plan it is way better to go with that than month to month. Blockbuster would be good, but the cost and availability is a risky proposition.

My Gamefly ends this month, and my Gamerang ends next month. Due to the turnaround times and in light of the new info, I may go with the prepay 1 game with Gamerang as the turnaroud time is the read deal maker for me. True, the benefits they're planning on rolling out may not be as good as Gamefly, but it's a matter of turnaround and availability for me.

Thoughts, opinions?

[quote name='One4Deuce']If anyone sees Guitar Hero: Metallica at the $14.98 price point at Target please let me know, really want the game but I don't want to pay $30 for it.[/QUOTE]

Same here for 360

I'd pay a little more a month for a quicker turnaround time if it were me. I tried a gamefly trial and wasn't impressed with how long it took. Thats my two cents.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Blockbuster Online has a very slow turn around for DVD/Blu-Ray. I'd imagine it would be very much the same for games if they ever offered them online.[/QUOTE]

I have blockbuster and haven't been impressed. I've been more inclined to take them in to swap. I may switch over to netflix since I'd imagine they have their stuff together. Whenever I complain to BB about their shipping etc. they say they're working on improving their system and they give me a free movie rental. :roll:

[quote name='LuisRM']I have blockbuster and haven't been impressed. I've been more inclined to take them in to swap. I may switch over to netflix since I'd imagine they have their stuff together. Whenever I complain to BB about their shipping etc. they say they're working on improving their system and they give me a free movie rental. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I've been really happy with Netflix. They usually take 2 or 3 days to get us the replacement disks. We haven't sent one in in months, though, because we've been doing streaming instead - just for the streaming netflix is worth it. I can't talk it up enough.. so good.

If anyone happened to get that best buy coupon for the washer/dryer @50% off and isn't using it send me a pm please. I think I need one.

Just came from a Toy*riffic in St. Croix Falls. They had Modern Warfare 2 for $69.99 if anyone is die hard and wants to spend $10 more to play it for the weekend. Might want to check the Maplewood store to see if they have any if you are interested.

Also RMB, I just got a new stove and Best Buy has pretty much all appliances on sale on there site and are better than the current in store price of getting two save 10%, three 15%, or four 20%. Maybe you can get them to honor the site price and get the 50% off if you can find the coupon and maybe the system will glitch and give you 10% more off for buying (washer and dryer) it in store? Its all just a big "IF"

[quote name='rmb']If anyone happened to get that best buy coupon for the washer/dryer @50% off and isn't using it send me a pm please. I think I need one.[/QUOTE]
The 50% off Samsung Steam washer/dryer coupon? I have it.

[quote name='LuisRM']I have blockbuster and haven't been impressed. I've been more inclined to take them in to swap. I may switch over to netflix since I'd imagine they have their stuff together. Whenever I complain to BB about their shipping etc. they say they're working on improving their system and they give me a free movie rental. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I got the same BS about Blockbuster "improving their system" for several months which includes a three week period of them not sending me ANYTHING. I finally ditched Blockbuster a month ago to go back to Netflix. As BattleChicken said turn around has been 2-3 days for me except oddly my most recent DVD
All Day With Adrian Peterson
was in my mail the day after I sent in the previous DVD.

I'm going to switch over I think to netflix in a couple of weeks when my month at BB expires. They just emailed me and said I get "unlimited trade-ins" until the end of the month. Meh.

[quote name='Davestation']Just came from a Toy*riffic in St. Croix Falls. They had Modern Warfare 2 for $69.99 if anyone is die hard and wants to spend $10 more to play it for the weekend. Might want to check the Maplewood store to see if they have any if you are interested.

QUOTE]
So that's where everyone grabbed them from that are selling on craigslist. I'll wait. Now, if that was a console bundle and was 3 weeks ago, I'd buy all of them!

Update:
Decided we didn't need the washer/dryer. I have 3 kids that seem to leave plenty of crap in their pockets and you don't always find everything. Didn't like the idea of crayons, pencils, rocks, and anything else you miss going through a new washer. Not to mention that the set we have is only a year old as it is. Thanks for the numerous offers to help!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Demolition Man']Anyone going to any of the numerous Modern Warfare 2 midnight launches?[/QUOTE]
Not planning on it but I should call and see if I should. Here's why... Back when Best Buy had that Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off sale online I ordered NHL 10 and MW2 for in-store pickup. Just got an e-mail today saying "MW2 will be available for pick-up tomorrow" but the store I'm picking up from is having a midnight launch, maybe its worth it to go.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Anyone going to any of the numerous Modern Warfare 2 midnight launches?[/QUOTE] Went

[quote name='One4Deuce']Not planning on it but I should call and see if I should. Here's why... Back when Best Buy had that Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off sale online I ordered NHL 10 and MW2 for in-store pickup. Just got an e-mail today saying "MW2 will be available for pick-up tomorrow" but the store I'm picking up from is having a midnight launch, maybe its worth it to go.[/QUOTE]
Did you go? if so which store? I was at the gamestop on silver lake rd. Probably 200 people there. Northtownand roseville had over 500 preorders and from what I saw most showed up to get them last night. I went in at 8pm and got my reciept and #. Went back at 5to 12 and was done by 1202. I never do these but work nights and mon is my friday nite so I went.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Anyone going to any of the numerous Modern Warfare 2 midnight launches?[/QUOTE] Went

[quote name='One4Deuce']Not planning on it but I should call and see if I should. Here's why... Back when Best Buy had that Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off sale online I ordered NHL 10 and MW2 for in-store pickup. Just got an e-mail today saying "MW2 will be available for pick-up tomorrow" but the store I'm picking up from is having a midnight launch, maybe its worth it to go.[/QUOTE]
Did you go? if so which store? I was at the gamestop on silver lake rd. Probably 200 people there. Northtownand roseville had over 500 preorders and from what I saw most showed up to get them last night. I went in at 8pm and got my reciept and #. Went back at 5to 12 and was done by 1202. I never do these but work nights and mon is my friday nite so I went.

Didn't go, waited patiently at work to receive my $52 Hardened Copr (thanks amazon and your credits). Now I must wait another 3 and 1/2 hours!

[quote name='rmb']Went

Did you go? if so which store? I was at the gamestop on silver lake rd. Probably 200 people there. Northtownand roseville had over 500 preorders and from what I saw most showed up to get them last night. I went in at 8pm and got my reciept and #. Went back at 5to 12 and was done by 1202. I never do these but work nights and mon is my friday nite so I went.[/QUOTE]
Didn't end up going, needed to make a run to Target too and didn't want to have to make two trips when I could just make one.

no more used games at the fridley blockbuster on central. No selection at northtown. Picked up one of those cheap acer laptop's from best buy possibly for the kids. May not keep it. If so anyone that would want it can pm me or post here. It would be for cost $270.

[quote name='rmb']no more used games at the fridley blockbuster on central. No selection at northtown.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've given up looking at Blockbuster for used games. Either it was older titles that I have no interest in or hardly anything off. Like I'm going to spend $30 on a used copy of Guitar Hero World Tour that Target had not too long ago on clearance for $14ish.

[quote name='SoundOfLight']Great info on that Gamerang vs Gamefly post. I think I may switch next year when my Gamefly is up.[/QUOTE]

I'm really liking the turnaround. I put a game in the mail and they check it in the next day most times. I got Brutal Legend and GTA LSS coming in.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Yeah I've given up looking at Blockbuster for used games. Either it was older titles that I have no interest in or hardly anything off. Like I'm going to spend $30 on a used copy of Guitar Hero World Tour that Target had not too long ago on clearance for $14ish.[/QUOTE]
I hit some BBV today looking for POGs and they have some new stock @ $14.99 and under to make another B1G1 worth a look. In fact GH:WT 360 was $9.99 today ;)

[quote name='PapaSmerf']I hit some BBV today looking for POGs and they have some new stock @ $14.99 and under to make another B1G1 worth a look. In fact GH:WT 360 was $9.99 today ;)[/QUOTE]

Which one(s) did you go to? I might have to take a peek since I wouldn't mind GH:WT for that much.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Which one(s) did you go to? I might have to take a peek since I wouldn't mind GH:WT for that much.[/QUOTE]
I don't know which one I saw it at, but I saw another today at $14.99 used. The other was either mispriced or I just automatically put the game in the "Buy it during B1G1" category and mentally associated a lower price. PS3 version is also $14.99 used.

Checked 5 Blockbusters today looking for POGs, but didn't find any. I checked the one on Lake and Hiawatha, Lake and 35W (which is closing), Franklin and Hennepin, Cleveland and Ford Pkwy, and University and Hamline (which is closing).
Anyone had any luck finding any of the POGs?

[quote name='walterqchocobo']The Blockbuster in Roseville on Larpenteur has two small bins of POGs. Not a huge selection though.[/QUOTE]
I just went there and I didn't find any. They did have some regular used games though.
[quote name='Keen314']POGs?[/QUOTE]

They are games at Blockbuster that are disc only and come in clear cases for $9.99.

Has anyone here actually found 360/Wii/PS3 pogs at any area Blockbuster store this year?

I found them at the Savage BB when they first hit back in Feb(?) and that has been the only store to get current-gen pogs in my experience.

I found some 360 POGs the last couple of days. There are still some out there and I believe more are being shipped. I was able to pick up CoD 4, CoD:W@W, Halo Wars, Fable II, GoW2, Xmen Origins:Wolverine, Soul Calibur IV and Orange Box. Saw GTA IV, Fallout 3, Transformers the Game and Revenge, several 2K/08 and 2K/09 sports titles, Gun and pretty much what has been posted in the 99 cent thread except Halo 3. Found them at 3 different stores.

EDIT: If anyone wants more info, PM me. There was not much left at the stores I visited, but I have a couple that are supposed to be getting a shipment of 30. One probably already has it, but does not have it shelved. I was going to have them look, but the place was actually pretty darn busy so I left.

Since there were a couple people who expressed interested in this a few days ago:
GH: Metallica (360) is down to 14.98 at the Brooklyn Center Target. Picked up a copy at 6 this evening; there were two left. Good luck.

POG update at BBV... to those that I gave info on coming shipments, it appears these stores may have sent there shipments directly to a closing store. The manager (WSP) I spoke with told me he did so and I expect the Apple Valley store may have as well. Might want to check Arcade St and Midway if they are still open.

Arcade St, I'd rather meet a seller off craigslist in minneapolis with a 1000 cash on me than go over to that dumpy side of town. Actually I played pool at Cab's a few nights a week for a few years.

Spotted (still there as of 6:30PM) some more BBV POGs today for 360; CoD 4: MW, Bionic Commando, Terminator Salvation, NBA2K9, Major League Baseball 2K9 and a few others that could probably be had complete for less than $9.99. PM me for location.

[quote name='rmb']Arcade St, I'd rather meet a seller off craigslist in minneapolis with a 1000 cash on me than go over to that dumpy side of town. Actually I played pool at Cab's a few nights a week for a few years.[/QUOTE]
Did you play M8 leagues out of there? I used to play alot to.

[quote name='SePhoBroth']Did you play M8 leagues out of there? I used to play alot to.[/QUOTE]
mostly valley, some m8

[quote name='rmb']mostly valley, some m8[/QUOTE]
Oh cool, You still have the TE stick? I have a PS3 one I might be interested in trading with you. My 360 one just broke today so I'm gonna call Mad Catz and see if they can do anything about it.

Guys:

Edina Super Target had :360:GH: Metallica(4 copies) and Wolverine Origins for $15 last night.

FYI: the Edina ST lacks the toy catalogs, so either bring a coupon or print one before you go there,

More 360 POGs unearthed. Apple Valley store on Cedar and 42. I asked last week and was told they were not in. I asked last night and the manager said they would be in back and brought them out. The only worthwhile titles were: GRID and NBA (2K9/09). There were 3 short of 30, so an employee most likely grabbed the best.

[quote name='SePhoBroth']Oh cool, You still have the TE stick? I have a PS3 one I might be interested in trading with you. My 360 one just broke today so I'm gonna call Mad Catz and see if they can do anything about it.[/QUOTE]yes, I do. Large accessories suck, cool as they may be. $100 cash local if you prefer or trade straight up if your ps3 is a TE. If not we could figure something out.

geez, who cleared out the GH: Metallica for the 360 at Target Knollwood? Odd how they have 10+ copies and then none the next day...

Apple Valley Target had a few copies of Skate 2 at $9.98, Guitar Hero: Metallica was $14.98 and probably 6 copies, X-Men Origins: Wolverine was $14.98 and probably 6 copies also.

[quote name='manthing']Roseville Super Target had a half dozen each of :360: GH:Metallica and Wolverine Origins for $15 each[/QUOTE]

I can't get a copy of Metallica to save my life. They were gone when I went over there at lunch. Still two copies of Wolverine though.

There's also about 50 copies of (360) Tomb Raider: Anniversary Edition for $9.99 there.

[quote name='manthing']Roseville Super Target had a half dozen each of :360: GH:Metallica and Wolverine Origins for $15 each[/QUOTE]

WTF? WSP Super Target hasn't dropped the price on any of their clearance games for the past several weeks. I was waiting for their Wolverines and GH: Metallicas to drop but now they are gone @ 27.98.

bread's done
Back