Mirror's Edge - Gen. Discussion & Info - Demo Now On XBLM

I'm not trying to justify the purchase, I know it's well worth the $60 to me because I spent many, many hours on the demo.. but with WOW:LK CE that came out today, Animal Crossing on Sunday and Left 4 Dead next week, I'm trying to space my purchases out. If I can pick this up for >$40 in the next week, I'll be a happy man (All used games that come back are $40 with my employee discount).

And I had a friend snag me an extra runner bag from GS, so no complaints there :D

I'm a bit skeptic about this after all the 7s its received. We have been spoiled by all the high 8s and 9s given by reviewers for recent releases. I'd probably have to pick one between this and NFS Undercover. It would be nice if this is miraculously available at Blockbuster for renting.

Is it just me or does this game piss every else off too?

There are just some sections in the game that I got fucking stuck retrying over and over and over and over and over and OVER AND OVER AND OVER again and again!

Especially the parts where you are stuck to fight the enemies because you have to open a door and climb a pipe to progress.

I really should of picked up Valkyria Chronicles. There is a good game buried in here, but holy shit do I die a lot and I get stuck alot.

There are sometimes when I had NO fuckING clue on how to progress. There are a lot of times where your "runner's vision" is non existent. One example is when I was stuck in this room with an elevator above me that I had just raised. I could not figure out how to get out until I accidentally fell through this obscure hole in the ground.

Beat the story, and I actually liked it quite a bit. It was streamlined, but it was well told and thought out.

I've started a new save on hard difficulty, and I'm about to dive into the speed runs and time trials. This is where the real game begins. :D

I've enjoyed the game but I thought it would be better. At times the game makes me mad and I don't like that ever happening in a game. I just got to the point where I'm supposed to defeat
Ropeburn and he keeps throwing me off the **** roof, How Am I supposed to beat him!
Can anyone help me with this big ape?

[quote name='Razzuel']Is it just me or does this game piss every else off too?

There are just some sections in the game that I got fucking stuck retrying over and over and over and over and over and OVER AND OVER AND OVER again and again!

[/quote]

Yep.

I love this game, but I am at at point like that right now. All I am trying to do is jump off a pipe to a ledge and I never get high enough even though I am like right there at it.

[quote name='Slate']I've enjoyed the game but I thought it would be better. At times the game makes me mad and I don't like that ever happening in a game. I just got to the point where I'm supposed to defeat
Ropeburn and he keeps throwing me off the **** roof, How Am I supposed to beat him!
Can anyone help me with this big ape?[/quote]

If you pay close enough attention you'll notice that
the pipe he's holding turns red, which is an indication to disarm him using Y

Don't forget you can slow things down with x
so that makes ropeburn easy as hell. Just wait until he charges hit x and wait for the pipe to turn red.

I got it from Gamefly yesterday. Having a blast so far. I find that if you think too much you die and if you just go with the flow it works great. Except those times where you get such a rush you think you're invincible and jump to where you thought there was a building.

I've been playing this with my surround sound blasting too. With it so high, flying bullets really disturb the calm atmosphere and give a higher sense of urgency when each bang comes from the sub. And falling to death at high volume makes me cringe. I highly recommend playing with the volume up as high as you can.

^ I also got mine from GF a few days ago. I played a few hours since then. Each individual chapter has a nice overall length, but the game is way too short. It needs about 10 more chapters to justify my $60, but it's a damn good rental.

Beat it in the same night, about 4-5 hours of gameplay.

This reminds me exactly of Dark Sector now. GREAT first level, good second level.. then a meh middle, and then "level 4", which is now the dreaded jump for me at the end of Level 5 (I had to try that vent jump atleast 20 times or more.. and when I did make it, I'd get shot right away, but I finally made it once, and never looked back, ran like a coward out of that area) - and then finally, to top it off, two very awesome levels to finish.

I was pretty upset half-way through with my purchase of it, but after doing the last two levels, I think the game redeemed itself. Speed Runs are fun to-do too, and I'm sure I'll go bag hunting eventually.

I think this would suit most people as a rental, since it literally can be beaten in 5 hours.. but I'm kind of glad now that I actually jumped (no pun intended) and purchased it.

Pretty good game. It was a fun rental. The middle was definitely very "meh". Controls can be clunky at times, and you're constantly dying over and over because the game doesn't detect that you actually DID land on that object or grab that ledge. Luckily it saves fairly often. The game loads a LOT, but you don't really mind.. you're constantly going in and out of levels, and you start to breathe a sigh of relief when you see an elevator because you know you're about to get a brief break.

The game's SLOW at some points, you're often having to hit B to find out where the hell to go.. but the game shines bright when you're being chased, where you're stringing together moves and making split second decisions in a fast effort to get out of there.. that's why chapter 8 is my favorite. Chapter 9 is a close second. It's pretty cool killing a guy, grabbing his gun, taking out the next guy, dropping the gun and getting the hell out of there.

A solid 7 out of 10, a no brainer rental. If you liked the demo, the entire game is just like it. You don't learn any more moves like I was hoping you would, but that's alright. It was fun.

Just finished it. No complaints at all on the length. They could have threw in a big open area with fetch quests or mandatory gun fights to lengthen it but I'm glad they didn't and kept it relatively basic. Time trials add more replay value to it. My one complaint are the cut scenes style didn't do it for me, would have been better IMO to see the character renders in action.

It could use a big open area to just run around in, have like a trick mode of sorts. I'm sure a multiplayer race mode will be added in a sequel. There is a lot of room for fun ideas based on engine. Imagine something like a big online game of tag. That would be crazy fun.

Multiplayer deathmatch for this would be nice. Just focus a little more on the gun mechanics.

BTW, did you guys turn off the Runner's View? I used it for the first couple levels, then turned it off after Chapter 3. I think the game plays more like it was intended without it. It's really not too difficult but I feel like I'm going my own path instead of following a bread crumb trail. Plus it felt like cheating with it on.

God Dammit! I was in the heat of the battle, stole some guys weapon and accidentally fired off a few shots. I quickly paused it and reset the system but something tells me I just goofed on the achievement. I was almost done too :bomb:

[quote name='Rodimus']God Dammit! I was in the heat of the battle, stole some guys weapon and accidentally fired off a few shots. I quickly paused it and reset the system but something tells me I just goofed on the achievement. I was almost done too :bomb:[/quote]

Did your shots actually hit someone? Because you are allowed to fire shots as long as they don't hit an enemy.

[quote name='ihadFG']Did your shots actually hit someone? Because you are allowed to fire shots as long as they don't hit an enemy.[/quote]

This right here is true. If I would disarm somebody and nobody was around, I'd fire off a few shots just for fun. As long as you don't hit anybody your good.

Finished it last night, Some levels are just temper raising for me. But i got past them and I was happy with it.

[quote name='Rodimus']Multiplayer deathmatch for this would be nice. Just focus a little more on the gun mechanics.
[/QUOTE]
I don't want more gunplay, maybe something like being able to lay traps would be more interesting (banana peel FTW! :lol:). Capture the Flag in a huge area with tons of runners, that would be amazing.

[quote name='Azumangaman']What I like about this game is that I'm already looking forward to playing it a second time. I'm on Chapter 6.[/QUOTE]
I would play it again too, but I got this and Dead Space from Gamefly on the same day. I knew this was short so I went for this first. I would definitely buy it cheap one day for another play through and to hit all the time trials.

Also I didn't look at the achievements before playing and didn't know about the no shooting one. :bomb: IIRC I only used a gun once in the sewers on snipers. Throughout I had a lot of fun running up to each guy and disarming them one by one. Guess I'll do it over whenever I pick the game up again.

[quote name='ihadFG']Did your shots actually hit someone? Because you are allowed to fire shots as long as they don't hit an enemy.[/quote]

I just beat it and got the achievement. I was worried cause I read people having problem getting this one. When I fired off those shots I couldn't remember if I hit anyone.... guess I didn't :D

May least favorite parts of the game were the action parts, since I was going for the no gun achievement the guards were frustrating. I loved the platforming, especially with the "runners view" off.

The demo for this game was really cool. I beat it twice right away...I plan on buying the game this week as I can see myself replaying this game multiple times as I'd go for 100% completion and get all the achievements, enjoying every minute of it.

Even if its like 5 hours long...this type of gameplay really seems like my kinda thing.

Cant believe people play this on 360 =P This and Dead Space feel like PS3 games to me...

Anyways, this game is a perfect rental. Finally, someone has gotten first person platforming controls right, and it feels so natural running between buildings. I see people saying the "control's are clunky" but what is everyones definition of clunky? That seems to be thrown around way to commonly this generation... It does what I want, I mean some times I'll totally mess up, but thats because it requires some accuracy on the jumps ect. I believe I am in the top 100 in some of the time trial runs, finished them all! Really fun/frusturating try to do perfect.

Now, they just need to combine the viseral feel of ME with Assassins Creed 2 and we got my GAME OF MY LIFETIME. Assassins Creed was suppose to be my favorite game ever...

almost through with the game. Really enjoying it. Though some parts are frustrating.. On the boat now and there's been some rooms were i'm just baffled.. And the taking down the army guys is abit annoying. Overall I can't wait to get through the game and am looking forward to Mirrors Edge 2.

wow already dlc? Do EA/Dice (ME) games or those from Ubisoft (Prince of persia) typically fall in price more quickly? Planning on getting one this week...but not sure which, especially since this DLC came out which means there may be some gold edition coming out that includes it.

I would think so.. usually prices will drop if there's no multiplayer.

If you want to check this game out.. you know you could just buy it used from gamestop. They have a 7 day return policy on used games.. So, say after 7 days you realize that there isn't enough content to warrant the price you can just return it and get your money back !

I found this game to be somewhat unentertaining. I played up to Chapter 4 (Ropeburn) and simply quit out to the Dashboard after descending in the elevator. Judging from what I played, the story is almost non-existent. I appreciate the creativity in the mechanics, the parkour feel, and look forward to seeing how they refine things in Mirror's Edge 2. This was a good first effort.

Just finished.. by the last level I was ready for it to be over... But still like others have said for a proof of concept.. it has potential.

PS3 or 360?

I like getting all multiplatform games on the 360 because I feel more "connected" to my friends and I get to see what everyone else is playing/doing. But I did like the feel of the PS3 controller more for this type of game.

Plus, the PS3 is getting one exclusive time trial map...so what to do?

[quote name='homeland']Just finished.. by the last level I was ready for it to be over... But still like others have said for a proof of concept.. it has potential.[/quote]

I also just finished this game the other night. A little frustrating when the police kept killing me or Faith couldnt climb up to a ledge. The last level was the best. A refreshing game with a new concept but was very short. This game does has alot of potential but is very short.

[quote name='TruVisionary']is this game worth a buy?[/QUOTE]

if by "buy" u mean buy used at gamestop, play it,, and return it within their 7 day return and get ur money back policy.. than definitely

Just beat the game, so here are my thoughts...

Very fresh take on platforming IMO. There really is nothing else like this game that is out there right now. I'd go so far to say that this is one of the most original concepts I have seen since Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Faith is a very interesting character. There has always been a tendency for female characters to sex it up, have huge boobs, and speak with innuendo. Faith isn't about that. She is strong, smart, courageous, and takes a back seat to no one. IMO she is one of the best female characters I have seen in some time.

The play mechanics are fresh. Running over rooftops, jumping and sliding all feel quite natural. There were only a few moments where they seemed cumbersome.

The art design is striking. The cityscapes look amazing and have an epic feel to them. I'm not sure what you would clal it since I don't think I have ever seen anything like it before.

The music is superb and really fits the game well. The intro theme almost has a haunting quality to it and I really liked it.

I thought the length of the story mode was just right. Not too long and not too short.

The time trials and speed runs add more replay value to the game and are a welcome addtion. The fact you can race ghosts is excellent. That helpd me a great deal in reducing some of my times.

Critique...

I found the game sometimes had issues with pacing. The game shines best when movement through levels is fluid, during chases primarily.

The gun play is out of place in this game. I understand why it is there, but it just doesn't feel right. The hand to hand combat makes more sense, but needs to be refined for Mirror's Edge 2. I personally would have liked a lock-on button.

There are quite a few WTF moments in which it isn't clear where to go. That plays in to the pacing I mentioned before. A game based on parkour shouldn't have so many moments when you are standing still trying to figure out how to get to the next ledge and so forth.

Also, I'm not sure I like the mix of in-game cut scenes and animated cutscenes. It really should be one or the other. I like the in-game engine better for this.

Final Thoughts...

People always talk about the lack of originality in games, but EA has delivered a very original and unique game. Due to this fact, I think issues I mentioned will be addressed in the sequel after EA gets fan feedback. If you ever bemoaned the sequelitis that the current gen systems tend to have, then give Mirror's Edge a try. You won't find anything else like it.

I liked the demo and the time trails. I would definitely pick this up when it's on sale.

As others have said it's a great proof of concept. I love the visual design and the parkour elements.

My main criticism would be that I wish the game was more open world, so I could decide where I wanted to go and how to get there. I hope they make a sequel and address some of these issues.

Imagine a four or even eight player multiplayer race from point A to B, in an open world environment. That would be sick.

This is next on my backlog so i am going through it now. In just a few short hours, im already at level 7. The game needs MAJOR collision detection updates. There are times i just cannot grab onto things right in front of me, or couldnt climb up a escalator while its right in front of me, etc etc. I am also tired of playing it, but will finish it just to get it out of the way. Great proof of concept but they need to refine the crap out of it, and make it WAY WAY longer. Also, some parts are purposely ridiculous to make you die a lot to pad out the time it takes to finish the game. I despise that type of gaming.

Just finished it (and deleted it off of my 120 gig). Has to be one of the shortest games ive ever played. Level 8 was seriously the dumbest and most frustrating level by a long shot. By contrast, Level 9 (final level) was a blast. If they can make the game more like level 9 then 8, then the sequel has a chance to be a lot better. Good rental.

I got myself to level 5 then got bored and I feel no reason to continue. I find the game to be a bit disappointing as the demo really hyped my expectations.

I just finished the PC version and it was one of the better PC ports that runs great which is a nice change from all the bad PC Ports we have been seeing recently. The added PhsyX effects look nice and the controls were pretty good with a keyboard and mouse. You can kind of run the game in 3rd person mode through the debug menu but it is a little hard to control. As others have said, it is far too short and there is far too much trial and error with certain parts watching Faith fall to her death over and over again.

Just got the DLC, and it's a lot of fun. I think they're on the right track in just boiling this game down to the running and aesthetic. Unlike a lot of posters here, I am truly loving this game. It's fresh and fun. I would advise anyone starting out to play on easy. The only difference is that it makes the combat a little less frustrating - which seems to be the biggest complaint.

God I hated this game. I was really looking forward to it too. I wish the reviews hadn't weighted originality so highly. I wasn't expecting the controls, cut scenes and pacing to suck so bad. The graphics were worse than I was expecting too. I hadn't thought about the fact that all of the screenshots I had seen had a lot of straight lines in them. If this was a sequel it would have been lucky to average a 6/10.

This is not a game you should feel compelled to experience. If you haven't played this yet you should just wait for the sequel.

I give the game a 7/10. I liked it. VERY frustrating, VERY flawed, and no replayability really. Although, it was a nice break from the RPG's and FPS's/3PS's, and I did have fun with the new concept. Basically, if they don't step it up with the next one, there will be no excuse for anything they don't fix.

I'm trying to beat it on hard and getting owned so hard at this point part =\

I'm really not sure what to do as there is 3-4 guys with assault rifles that I need to get past on an elevated walkway they are on. I tried a billion times and couldn't disarm the guy by the shortest route, had success disarming a guy at the long way but haven't been able to kill off the other guys. After about an hour at this one checkpoint I gave up for the day.

Picked this up during Gamestop's B2G1 and I think it was a great purchase. While the game was definitely frustrating I really found myself enjoying it because I actually stuck with it through the annoying parts. The length was pretty short, and the end boss was pathetic, only took me one try to kill him. Can't wait for the sequel.

As for the replay value, I'm going to go back through the game, this time on easy to collect all the suitcases and explore the levels more. What I'm most excited about though is the time trials. I'm not that big on being timed to do stuff in games but for some reason trying to beat the top time is addicting!

All in all I'm really glad I picked this up.

PS: Did anyone stick through the credits? There was a news bulletin saying basically how Faith and her sister are still fugitives so esentially we didn't change shit. It also said that the police are combining with the PK (private security) guys to take down Faith. I hope the sequel has more running and less fighting.

[quote name='homeland']if by "buy" u mean buy used at gamestop, play it,, and return it within their 7 day return and get ur money back policy.. than definitely[/QUOTE]

That is so funny because I actually did that today. I have a bunch of games that are kind of intense and depressing that I have had on my pile of shame for a while including Gun, Call of Juarez (alright I know the last two are pretty bad but I love western movies), Resident Evil 5, and GTA IV (I want to actually play the story out).

I went into GS with the idea in mind to pick up a used game that would be more upbeat and also slightly different from the FPS games and whatnot that the 360 is known for. I saw this for $28 and knew it was the one to get.

Having just beaten the 3rd Chapter in about 2 hours I can see exactly what everyone is talking about when they say it's short. Not only does it appear to be short but it is infuriating sometimes when you keep falling to your death over and over again on a problem spot. That being said, it feels extremely rewarding when you eventually succeed.

I wish there was no gun play or being shot at. I really would just like the game to be about getting from one place to another and about that process. The guns are just there as a poor attempt at being unique but also appealing to idiots who hate games without guns.

Regardless of its shortcomings, this game is a great amount of fun. I would have been pretty irritated if I had spent $60 on it though- the cost of a rental or the special GS "rental" is really all it is worth. I'm hoping the sequel allows you to build and upload your own maps. I could see a community forming around that if it was done well...

Everyone should applaud EA for such an inventive title however. It is not too often that they come up with something as artistically AND conceptually creative as this title. I hope that the sales of this (which seemed to be pretty strong) will encourage them to take more risks creatively.

bread's done
Back