MK vs DC!!??? WTF? Update: Sub Zero Render

As a fan of MK and huge DC fanboy bordering on obsession, I have high hopes, but I will reserve judgement until we have more concrete information.

Wombat, i have no hope for this considering how bad all the recent MK games have been. i wish Capcom got the DC license and did a Capcom vs DC game to counter the Marvel vs Capcom series. and this might be 3D as well so that's another bummer.

They should throw in Fatalities as that is pretty much the life and blood of MK. Just have it so DC characters can do the same.

[quote name='InuFaye']
2v3saae.jpg
[/quote]
Well... at least they might keep friendships?

[quote name='LiK']Wombat, i have no hope for this considering how bad all the recent MK games have been.[/QUOTE]

The only recent "bad" MK game was Armageddon. Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Shaolin Monks were all good or better.

I hate throwing around the term "sell out" since it's cliched and annoying, but MK dropping fatalities and blood just to appease the owners of the license they are working with, in hopes to latch on to the popularity of past games like Marvel vs. Capcom...yeah. That's selling out.

[quote name='KaneRobot']The only recent "bad" MK game was Armageddon. Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Shaolin Monks were all good or better.[/quote]

:rofl:

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

The last time I played a good mortal kombat game was 3 on the xbla.

[quote name='InuFaye']:rofl:

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

The last time I played a good mortal kombat game was 3 on the xbla.[/QUOTE]
:rofl: :rofl: :lol: :dunce: :rofl: :puke: :lol: :rofl: :dunce: :puke: :rofl:

If you didn't get at least some enjoyment out of Deception or Shaolin Monks, I can't help you.

Mortal Kombat: No interest whatsoever
Mortal Kombat vs. DC: Interested as hell
Mortal Kombat vs. DC w/ no Blood or Fatalities: No interest whatsoever*

* - Will change if it's coming to PS3 with user created mods being allowed

[quote name='shipwreck']Ah, Midway, constantly reminding me that it was a good move to sell your stock years ago.

I'm a pretty big MK fan, and this just sounds horrible to me.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, Shipwreck. I own all the MK games (aside from Special Forces -- I had to sell that trash), but this sounds awful. To randomly mix in DC characters is bad enough, but to remove fatalities, a fucking staple of a the series? Count me out. I was excited for the reboot, and now I'm sad to hear what's actually become of this franchise.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wow, you seriously thought DC would allow its characters to be dismembered and for fatalities to be in?

Cmon now, I know you guys are smarter than that.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that violence was the point of Mortal Kombat. It sure as hell doesn't have gameplay to back it up, so it seems like the gimmick this time around is just DC characters... which isn't particularly interesting.

The one thing this has made me want to do is go back and play some more MVC2.

MK II was the best in my opinion. MK 3 was going in too many directions, the art style shifted, and some of the newer characters were lacking.

Of the recent MK games, deadly alliance was meh, deception was better, shoalin monks was a fun rent. I liked Armageddon best. I think it was because of the extras... create-a-character, the okay adventure mode, huge roster, and *cough* kart racing.

Mortal Kombat vs the Jumping Shark

[quote name='Chacrana']The problem is that violence was the point of Mortal Kombat. It sure as hell doesn't have gameplay to back it up, so it seems like the gimmick this time around is just DC characters... which isn't particularly interesting.[/QUOTE]

Word.

As one of the better posts on Kotaku put it: this is a "me too" answer to "Marvel vs Capcom" ... ten years too late.

I spent a good portion of my college life playing MK I - III.

However my tastes have moved on in the past several years and I can no longer devote the time involved in learning and remembering all those moves.

[quote name='daminion']I spent a good portion of my college life playing MK I - III.

However my tastes have moved on in the past several years and I can no longer devote the time involved in learning and remembering all those moves.[/QUOTE]

There's like... 6.

Considering how bad the 3 last gen games were, why bother making a game that will likely be rated Teen? I didn't include Shaolin Monks in there, since that's really more of a side story.

somehow it reminds me of Street Fighter The Movie The Game in that it looks slow and choppy as shit. And it has no potential.

[quote name='Chacrana']somehow it reminds me of Street Fighter The Movie The Game in that it looks slow and choppy as shit. And it has no potential.[/quote]

That game is good.

Just because the characters dont look like they do in SF2 is no reason to bash it.

[quote name='Chacrana']The problem is that violence was the point of Mortal Kombat. It sure as hell doesn't have gameplay to back it up, so it seems like the gimmick this time around is just DC characters... which isn't particularly interesting.

The one thing this has made me want to do is go back and play some more MVC2.[/QUOTE]

With you and the general hardcore audience who is shitting on this game? No, it probably isn't interesting.

To Joe "Casual Gamer' Sixpack, who enjoys Halo 3, Madden, and the constant vs movies, going "OMG, Sub-Zero vs Batman? fucking AWESOME", they are sold. Teaming up favorite characters from their past, with people like Batman (who they will say "Man, Dark Knight, AWESOME, yea Batman!) means you've got their attention.

And that is who most publishers shoot for with games like that... it's certainly not people like us. I'll definitely try it out, but I know that people on CAG aren't Midway's target audience with this.

We'll look at it as selling out, Midway looks at it as cashing in.

You already can't tell what's going on during fights in Batman movies. Is the camera going to zoom in and out and have bad angles and blur everything in this game too?

Stupid.

For those who are hardcore MK fans, I can understand your dismay at adding DC characters to the roster. I am a Soul Calibur fan and think it is goofy how they are adding DV and yoda.

I used to really like MK, I really liked I and II. However, I haven't touched one since. But the opportunity to play as Batman or Superman may make me give it a try. So, yeah, roufuss is right this isn't for the long time fans this is most likely to increase the audience of the series.

[quote name='Strell']You already can't tell what's going on during fights in Batman movies. Is the camera going to zoom in and out and have bad angles and blur everything in this game too?

Stupid.[/QUOTE]

Did you watch the trailer?

I had no idea what was going on there either. This game looks horrible imo, and looks to STILL be using the same engine, fighting and graphics, that the Xbox and PS2 used.

That trailer does nothing to make me excited. Everyone looked stiff as hell and poorly animated too.

But it will sell a metric fuckton.

[quote name='Strell']Roufuss.

You can't leave for six months or a year or something, come back, and be this naive. Aye?

Aye.[/QUOTE]

Ha, naive about what :p

If they keep it fast paced (for once in a Mortal Kombat game) then I see the potential it has to not suck, but still...this just seems too out of the blue for me.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']this is till very fucked up.[/QUOTE]

No different than Marvel and Capcom?

Lego and Star Wars?

Star Wars and Soul Calibur?

Robocop and Terminator?!?! (Whoa, old school)

Solid Snake in Smash Bros?

Spider-Man and Wolverine in Tony Hawk?

I don't know, I'm less shocked about this for some reason than I was with Yoda in SC 4... I guess because DC has a number of "dark" characters they could use for this very easily (IIRC, I haven't read comics in awhile, but I remember DC having a nice little set of dark characters). It's odd, but I don't know, weird things are starting to become common place as games become more mainstream it seems.

[quote name='Roufuss']No different than Marvel and Capcom?

Lego and Star Wars?

Star Wars and Soul Calibur?

Robocop and Terminator?!?! (Whoa, old school)

Solid Snake in Smash Bros?

Spider-Man and Wolverine in Tony Hawk?

I don't know, I'm less shocked about this for some reason than I was with Yoda in SC 4... I guess because DC has a number of "dark" characters they could use for this very easily (IIRC, I haven't read comics in awhile, but I remember DC having a nice little set of dark characters). It's odd, but I don't know, weird things are starting to become common place as games become more mainstream it seems.[/QUOTE]

My reason why its fucked up is because MK thrives on violence while DC is polar opposite. It's like if you threw Micky Mouse during Vietnam. Yeah the star wars thing was pretty crazy (equal to this IMHO) but the fact that the characters work alongside the gameplay mechanics works.

[quote name='guyver2077']This Is So fucking Awesome![/quote]

JUST LIKE STREET FIGHTER:THE MOVIE:THE GAME

amiright?

I'm not really feeling this. One of the saving graces of the Mortal Kombat universe to me has always been the cool fatalities. If you take that away, it'll just be a below average fighter.

Characters confirmed:

Sub-Zero, Scorpion

Batman, Superman

No fatalities CONFIRMED straight from Ed Boon

From Midway's Gamer's Day

[quote name='InuFaye']I didn't see that coming.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about how obscure they will get with this.

Chances are we won't be seeing anyone like Rocket Red or Blue Beetle.

Probably the core Justice Leaguers (Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter) then some people like Aquaman and Green Arrow.

I could see Darkseid and Shao Kahn as the "bosses".

What about animalities? I'd like to see Batman turn into a bat and bite Sub-Zero's head off.

Yeah... guessing those won't be in this either.

[quote name='guyver2077']yea that no fatalities part is a real deal breaker..

mk=fatalities

i will keep hope though...[/QUOTE]

Kotaku mentioned it was because DC didn't want that happening to their characters, so that's why there is no fatalities.

I got a feeling we're just going to see classic MK characters vs classic DC characters, no surprises here.

[quote name='Whambamm']I'm not really feeling this. One of the saving graces of the Mortal Kombat universe to me has always been the cool fatalities. If you take that away, it'll just be a below average fighter.[/quote]

Agreed!! I still remember being a Kid playing MK at the arcade and ripping out a spine. :D Not to say I wont pick this game up, but what would have been a day 1 might be a price drop. I do reserve the right to change my mind at any given time so Midway, Boon, and DC, show me some good stuff before release day.

From 2007:

As you will see in the lines to follow, Boon clearly reveals that the new title is being built from the ground up, adding nothing but new stuff to the franchise:

"The only thing I can say at the moment is we are going to do a reset, we're going to throw everything from the previous Mortal Kombats, we're going to start from scratch and try to introduce as many new characters as possible, new features, new stuff like that and take advantage of the amazing presentation, graphics that all of a sudden you can do, things that are a lot more real", he explained.

Ed Boon, you fucking liar... everything the dude always says is a lie, right down to his shit about "This Mortal Kombat has a super secret NO ONE WILL FIND" that always ends up being a total lie.

bread's done
Back