MLB 09: The Show CAG League - WEEK 7 STANDINGS! READ POST #1065!!!

I wasn't getting into system wars, it's just that being on XBL doesn't magically give the developers this unfounded ability to program :p The only reason why the game has bad online problems is because they don't know how to program it correctly to deal with packets and lag and such. It has nothing to do with PSN.

Sure, bad programming does play a part. But so does the online infrastructure, and in my experience I have had very little connectivity problems with LIVE and several problems with PSN. For example, I've had various laggy matches and connectivity issues with HD Remix on the PS3 where as on the 360 I have not.

You can blame bad programming only so far, but when you have different games from different companies having the same online problems, then the issue lies elsewhere as well.

Would MLB 09 have less lag and be more stable if it used XBL rather than PSN? We will never know for sure, but I can assume it would be better based on prior experience playing online games on both networks.

So yeah, Sony programming + Sony networks = Awesome game with poor online multiplayer.

Edit: Sorry n8, I didn't mean to derail the thread

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I wasn't getting into system wars, it's just that being on XBL doesn't magically give the developers this unfounded ability to program :p The only reason why the game has bad online problems is because they don't know how to program it correctly to deal with packets and lag and such. It has nothing to do with PSN.[/QUOTE]That's mostly true because every game has their own servers. Some games have awesome servers and have very few issues online. Some games there is nothing put issues. It depends upon who the dev is, how much budget they are given to work with the network, and so on.

Although for many SCEA game servers, if people have problems connecting, normally its a firewall issue:
If you are able to connect to the Internet but cannot get into Sony Computer Entertainment America's (SCEA) game servers or network, it may be a firewall issue. A firewall is a security product that employs a combination of hardware and software to prevent unauthorized users or Internet traffic from gaining access into a private local area network (LAN) or personal computers. These settings will need to be entered into your router.

Below are the TCP and UDP (firewall) port numbers you will need to connect online with PlayStation® products.
http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi...nduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=241&p_sid=WlipX*tj

It lists on SCEA's site what ports need to be opened to efficiently run their games online (some games utilizes the ports more so than others. I know for R2, if you don't do the port forwarding, there's a very good chance you'll have problems). I usually open ports for SCEA game servers and PSN.

[quote name='talonthrawn']I'm gettin on shortly so if you're around n8 ill play ya[/quote]

Yeah, I'm here. I can get on right now if you want.

Wow...am I not able to get ratings all of a sudden? I've got nothing from talon showing up either. The weird thing is, after I played both ivan and talon, I rated them, and then I got a PSN notification saying they were offline. WTF is going on? Anyway, good game talon. I don't know if I'm just destined to not have a league or what though.

if its a live draft ill suck it up and do it this tuesday. however seeing that your having trouble setting it up maybe tuesday might not work?
How is the following tuesday, that way we can all have auto picks set up if they cant make it. also if it was next tues can it be around 830ish?
seems like Sat night was out of the question but hows Sat Afternoon?

[quote name='talonthrawn']Thats fuckin weird, i rated you 5 stars. But yeah good game man, you were getting into my head with your pitch selection though, well done.[/quote]

Yeah, I've been checking it online, and I have no rating from ivan or you STILL. I really want to contact someone from SCEA and rip them a new one. It's bullshit that even when going out of my way to abide by their rigid specifications, I still can't meet the requirements to create my own league. But when somebody rates me 1 star, it shows up no problem. Nice.

Question though, do you have a rating from me? Cause I gave both you and ivan 5 stars as well. It makes me think something in the matchmaking is preventing the rating from counting...even though I set it up as a ranked game. The only changes I made was changing the difficulty to all-star, turning hot zones off, and fast play on. And why would it allow us to rate each other if it's not going to count?

EDIT - Yeah, I just checked on the website and see that the 5 star ratings I gave to you and ivan did count. So, it's just me then. WTF...if I didn't know better, I'd think this game was actually trying to give me a stroke. I'm going to go send a complaint to SCEA now.

[quote name='m_d_amore']if its a live draft ill suck it up and do it this tuesday. however seeing that your having trouble setting it up maybe tuesday might not work?
How is the following tuesday, that way we can all have auto picks set up if they cant make it. also if it was next tues can it be around 830ish?
seems like Sat night was out of the question but hows Sat Afternoon?[/quote]

Yeah, there's no way it will be this Tuesday. If I'm ever allowed to create the league, the draft will be Tuesday, April 7th at 9 PM EST. I don't want to do it any earlier than that because we've got people from different time zones here, so doing something like your example of Saturday afternoon, wouldn't really be fair to them. Tuesday 4/7 at 9 PM EST gives everybody at least a chance to be there, and at worst, gives them time to set up their picks (assuming SCEA stops fucking me sideways in the next week). Hope the non ranting parts of that response make sense, haha.

[quote name='Supreme']If you want n8, I can get on and we can play a game.[/quote]

I don't know if you're still around, but yeah, I'll play you if you want. I just tried playing another random to see if it would count the rating. It did... I beat the guy 2-0..really close game, both of us had 6 hits all game. I used the Angels, he used the Rays (and Kazmir...who seems to be this year's version of Beckett). The game could have really gone either way, but he made a couple mistakes and an error that he paid for.

At the end of the game, he tells me "gg" and then proceeds to rate me 1 star. I'm about to give up. I'm not going to let people beat me just on the CHANCE that they won't be total douchebags and give me a 1 anyway. Plus, I've had several games where people don't rate at all. This is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever encountered in a video game.

Just sent this to Sony:

I don't know who to address this to because the SportsConnect website's structure offers little help with who to contact when you have a problem. But I just wanted to let you guys know that the requirements for setting up an online league are a joke. Ok, so you have to play 10 games first. That's fine. It was like that last year, and I have no problem with it. But requiring you to also have a star rating of 3 is beyond stupid.

I currently have an 11-3 record online. I've got 2 disconnects from when my internet crapped out on me, and 1 quit from a game I offered to concede (I was losing 6-1 in the 5th), but the guy refused it (Tell me again why I need the other person's permission to FORFEIT and give them a quick win???). Obviously, from those three games, a less than stellar rating is to be expected.

But the real problem lies in the belief that when you beat someone, as long as you played a fair game, you'll be given a good rating. This belief is moronic. It's bad enough that there are some games when people don't rate you at all. But I've had 5 different occasions in the past 24 hours where I've beaten someone fair and square in a very closely contested game, only to receive a 1 star rating from them. Because of this, I'm not allowed to create a league that I've been planning on having with my friends for over 3 months now.

I understand that you want good, honest people running these leagues, but what sense does it make to have their goodness judged by people who may not be good or honest themselves? I would love to hear your opinion on this issue. I paid $60 for MLB 09, and I expect to be able to run a league with my friends. I've bought every edition of The Show, dating back to 06, but if these are the kind of changes you're going to implement, in the future, I'll be spending my money elsewhere.

I doubt they'll even have a response. The concept will probably go way over their heads...

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow...am I not able to get ratings all of a sudden? I've got nothing from talon showing up either. The weird thing is, after I played both ivan and talon, I rated them, and then I got a PSN notification saying they were offline. WTF is going on? Anyway, good game talon. I don't know if I'm just destined to not have a league or what though.[/quote]
Do you have those guys on your friend list? Maybe it doesn't count the ratings when you play against a friend.

[quote name='yukine']Do you have those guys on your friend list? Maybe it doesn't count the ratings when you play against a friend.[/quote]

I like that you're brainstorming because that's about all I could do with the problem. I just played Supreme (who is an absolute BEAST on the mound by the way), and lost 1-0. He rated me a 5, and IT WENT THROUGH!!! :bouncy: Sadly, because of all the other douchebags, I'm still at 2 stars, but at least this is progress.

The only thing we did differently was I had Supreme challenge me to the game. When I played ivan and talon, I challenged them. They're all on my friends list in PSN, and my buddy list in The Show, so that should be the same. Whether him challenging me made any bit of difference or not, I have no freaking clue. But as far as I'm concerned, it's a working system. Hopefully, I can grab a couple games with some of you tomorrow and we can get this damn thing taken care of. I'll be on around noon est, if any of you guys can play then.

Challenging doesnt matter, I've done both and still be rated. It's possible they didnt hit square, and hit x instead, it happened to me the first time I played online, and it happened to a few friends when they went to rate me.

BTW, I listened to the game last night N8, sounded like a real good one.

[quote name='jza1218']Challenging doesnt matter, I've done both and still be rated. It's possible they didnt hit square, and hit x instead, it happened to me the first time I played online, and it happened to a few friends when they went to rate me.

BTW, I listened to the game last night N8, sounded like a real good one.[/quote]

Well, of course who sends the challenge SHOULDN'T matter. But the alternative is accusing ivanctorres and talonthrawn of not knowing how to rate people. When it first happened with ivan, I thought maybe he pressed the wrong button by accident (pressing square just feels odd). But having it happen two games in a row, with two separate CAGs just seemed unlikely.

Anyway, I can play right now if anybody is available to help me get this rating up! I know yukine said he might be around.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, of course who sends the challenge SHOULDN'T matter. But the alternative is accusing ivanctorres and talonthrawn of not knowing how to rate people. When it first happened with ivan, I thought maybe he pressed the wrong button by accident (pressing square just feels odd). But having it happen two games in a row, with two separate CAGs just seemed unlikely.

Anyway, I can play right now if anybody is available to help me get this rating up! I know yukine said he might be around.[/QUOTE]

I had it happen with two separate friends, two games in a row. They both said the same thing, they pressed X instead.

Really good game n8. That was my first online game ever so in the beggining I was so confused on why it wouldn't let me meter pitch heh.

Anywho, I hope the rating went through; it wouldn't let me like select anything to confirm, so i just hovered over 5* and then pressed O.

EDIT: It was Square?!?! :( :( :(

[quote name='jza1218']I had it happen with two separate friends, two games in a row. They both said the same thing, they pressed X instead.[/quote]

Well, you better add BostonCollegeFan to that list then because I just played him (freakin extra innings too) and no rating. I'm sorry guys, but at this point, I'm so frustrated, I need confirmation. ARE YOU PRESSING SQUARE TO CHOOSE YOUR RATING? (what you should be doing) This makes 3 out of 4 games against CAGs where a rating has not gone through. Do you have any idea how fucking frustrating this is? I feel like I'm doing everything neccessary to get this fucking league going, and I'm getting absolutely no where.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Really good game n8. That was my first online game ever so in the beggining I was so confused on why it wouldn't let me meter pitch heh.

Anywho, I hope the rating went through; it wouldn't let me like select anything to confirm, so i just hovered over 5* and then pressed O.

EDIT: It was Square?!?! :( :( :([/quote]

GOD fuckING DAMMIT!!!!!!!

All right, guess what guys. I've been playing this game non-stop for like 3 days to get this shit taken care of. But seemingly, no matter what I do, I get screwed over. So, I need a break from MLB. I'm not picking this game up again for at least 48 hours. The league will have to wait. If you guys are still here when I come back, we can try again. But right now, I'm getting burnt out.

What sucks is I bet you need like, one rating of 5 stars to get bumped to a 3 star rating. Let's give it one more shot tonight N8...just one more!! You can do it!

[quote name='Wpark83']What sucks is I bet you need like, one rating of 5 stars to get bumped to a 3 star rating. Let's give it one more shot tonight N8...just one more!! You can do it![/quote]

I have the following ratings: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 5

I'm not sure how exactly the rating averages work, but 3 games of 5 star ratings (which I SHOULD have had already) would bring it up to a 2.9. Considering only 1 out of 4 CAGs knows what they're doing, I'll probably have to play 12 games to get 3 ratings. I'm really not up to it right now.

The only thing I WOULD consider is playing 1 inning and then doing a friendly quit. I'm not sure if you even get to rate your opponent after a friendly quit, but since you get no penalty at all for playing less than one inning, it might work. I just don't want to play 3 more full games.

N8-Im sorry your so frustrated. I do commend your dedication and commitment to the league.

I do hope we can get this going at some point.

Let's all hang in here.

Okay, I'm really done. If Sony really wont allow this than that is stupid. I also don't have the time to keep checking this and planning for the draft then having to do it all over again. I'll be getting new games soon anyways, this has become a joke. I"m ready to let this thread die.

I just started playing online...

This guy and I played and went to 17 innings, it was a Diamondbacks/Giants game. It was a Webb/Lincecum pitching duel. Then in the bottom of the 17th, he throws a low fastball and CoJack hits it out of the park for a walk-off homerun.

This game is fantastic.

[quote name='FrankySox']Okay, I'm really done. If Sony really wont allow this than that is stupid. I also don't have the time to keep checking this and planning for the draft then having to do it all over again. I'll be getting new games soon anyways, this has become a joke. I"m ready to let this thread die.[/quote]

Can you honestly say I haven't been trying? I've been busy tonight, but was planning to see if anybody wanted to try some "friendly quits" in an hour or two (or tomorrow). The draft hasn't been altered at all. As of now, it's still on for Tuesday, April 7th at 9 PM EST. I will say though, if you're already looking to new games that you're getting, I don't know why you bothered with MLB.

Baseball is a labor of love man. It's a long season, with long games. The only other game I intend on getting from now to about October is UFC 2009. Aside from my futile attempts to fulfill my required 10 games/3 stars, I haven't even started playing this game yet. I'm waiting for Knight's rosters before I start my RttS and Franchise. I'm sorry that I needed a break from the non-stop failed attempts at ranking up to 3 stars. The last thing I need are guys quitting on me...

[quote name='GenDV138']I'm still in, and I should be on for a few more hours if you want to try the friendly quits, n8.[/quote]

Hey man, if you're still willing to play, I can hop on now. The plan would be play one full inning (and maybe one batter into the 2nd just for good measure), and then request a friendly quit. If it doesn't allow us to rate though, we'll have to figure something else out. And please, PLEASE remember, you select the rating by pressing SQUARE.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Can you honestly say I haven't been trying? I've been busy tonight, but was planning to see if anybody wanted to try some "friendly quits" in an hour or two (or tomorrow). The draft hasn't been altered at all. As of now, it's still on for Tuesday, April 7th at 9 PM EST. I will say though, if you're already looking to new games that you're getting, I don't know why you bothered with MLB.

Baseball is a labor of love man. It's a long season, with long games. The only other game I intend on getting from now to about October is UFC 2009. Aside from my futile attempts to fulfill my required 10 games/3 stars, I haven't even started playing this game yet. I'm waiting for Knight's rosters before I start my RttS and Franchise. I'm sorry that I needed a break from the non-stop failed attempts at ranking up to 3 stars. The last thing I need are guys quitting on me...[/QUOTE]

I definitely would NOT say you haven't been trying. This is just amazing that this option would be in the game, and to be completely honest if there is no time table here I can't promise I'll still be interested. Thinking this league was going to start so much longer ago I was hyped and now that has kind of warn off, and if it takes even longer I don't know if I would still even be interested at all. Me and my roommate have already started our own franchise so I think I'll just stick with that.

Thanks for trying to put this together though.

[quote name='FrankySox']I definitely would NOT say you haven't been trying. This is just amazing that this option would be in the game, and to be completely honest if there is no time table here I can't promise I'll still be interested. Thinking this league was going to start so much longer ago I was hyped and now that has kind of warn off, and if it takes even longer I don't know if I would still even be interested at all. Me and my roommate have already started our own franchise so I think I'll just stick with that.

Thanks for trying to put this together though.[/quote]

All right, yeah, then I would definitely advise you not to play. Thanks for the honesty though.

If anybody is available for 5 minutes right now, I could get this league set up tonight. GenDV138 and I discovered that it IS possible to do friendly quits after one inning and still rate your opponent. The problem is, the rating only counts once. I got a 5 from GenDV138 no problem...but I still need 2-3 more, which means 2-3 more people. It really only takes 5 minutes. And I'll be up for the next couple hours. This is where we need everybody to pitch in for the wellbeing of the league. I'm on my PS3 now, so just hop on and send me a message.

VICTORY IS MINE!!! I smite you SCEA! I smite you with my mighty bat for all your assholery!!!

Ok, maybe a bit over the top, but GOOD NEWS! The league is finally up!!! Those of you who have accepted my request in the in-game buddy list will see your league invitation as soon as you get on. The rest of you, please accept the friend request so I can send you an invitation.

Also, since FrankySox decided to drop, Supreme requested the White Sox, which means the Red Sox are now open. If you want them, just let me know. Also, and this is important, when you sign up, please pay attention to the divisions. We've got a National League and an American League. Place your selected team in the correct league. The draft will be this coming Tuesday, April 7th at 9 PM EST.

As soon as you sign up for the league, you can begin queueing your picks. This is all exciting stuff, so take a good look around the league pages. Thanks guys! Now that this treacherous dragon has been slain, I'm actually excited to play baseball again!

:lol:

Woo! We have a league!

By the way, anyone know if it is possible to change the batting order before a game? Also, I really can't change the camera view when pitching? I've been using the camera behind the pitcher's back this whole time so it is really throwing me off.

That really blows, I'm so used to that view since that is how I play offline.

I can't seem to be able to change batting order either. I like to put Eric Byrnes out in LF and Conor Jackson at 1B, but then it puts Byrnes batting 4th and CoJack hitting 6th. :lol:

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I'm quitting the league, N8 is just a lazy ass.

April Fools, congrats n8 can't wait to get the league started
[/quote]

Haha, nice. Glad to see everybody is in better spirits now that this stupid limitation has been lifted. I did email SCEA about it and this is the response I've gotten thus far.

Hello Nate,

We apologize for any inconvenience that you are having with the online portion of MLB 09 the show. We value your input and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please rest assured that we will convey your feedback to Sony Computer Entertainment America's ("SCEA") appropriate management.

Regards,

Gabriel B.

I doubt I hear anything else, but hopefully at least someone will be told it was a dumb idea to rely on people you've just beaten to determine whether you're allowed to create a league.

I'm kind of amazed at how simple it was to boost the ratings though, once we discovered that the "friendly quit" games would work. The last two I did, I learned that you don't even have to throw a pitch. Just go into the game, pause it, friendly quit, and rate. Had I known it was that simple, I never would have gotten so frustrated with the CAGs who pressed the wrong button when trying to rate.

So, I want to apologize to you guys for that. Hindsight being 20/20, it just feels dumb now getting upset over something that had such an easy fix. That's why I needed to take a break though. Sometimes you can get so caught up in something that even if there's a simple solution, you won't see it. I still blame Sony for making any of it neccessary to begin with, but at least we're finally past it now, and can look ahead to bigger and better things.

With FrankySox dropping, we've got one open spot in the league. I changed the title of the thread to reflect that so maybe someone will see it. And like I mentioned, the Red Sox are now open if anybody wants to switch.

Also, for some reason, when I check the league status on the website, it shows a different amount of games to be played (only 1 series against division rivals..but I selected 2 in game) and it shows "guess pitch" being set to off...but I chose default. Who knows what this means. I trust what the in game says more than the website, but there's no reason why they shouldn't reflect the same thing. More sloppy programming on Sony's part I guess.

That's it for now. Everybody get me added to your in game buddy list so I can send you your invite. The draft is this coming Tuesday! If you don't have time to set up your picks now, you have no one to blame but yourself.

[quote name='yukine']That really blows, I'm so used to that view since that is how I play offline.

I can't seem to be able to change batting order either. I like to put Eric Byrnes out in LF and Conor Jackson at 1B, but then it puts Byrnes batting 4th and CoJack hitting 6th. :lol:[/quote]

What do you mean? Changing batting order before an online game...like when you're at the lineup screen? Doesn't square work?

Yeah guys...I would really invest some time in just reading the instruction manual. When making changes to the batting order, you can use square to change defensive positions.

As far as the pitching camera, I too share your pain. Pitching in the broadcast style just feels way too natural.

I don't know, that is why I asked. I'll see if it works later!

I looked in the manual, I didn't see in there. What page would that be on?

bread's done
Back