MLB 09: The Show - March 3, 2009 - Demo Out Now!

[quote name='smiggity']Whats up with no Home Run Derby? I just assumed it was in there, along with every other baseball game. That is pretty lame its not in the game. Was it in 08?[/quote]

The Home Run Derby has been widely regarded as the most worthless part of video game baseball. Many game magazine writers and reviewers have been criticizing it for years, saying that it was a waste of space that nobody ever played. I guess the 2K series has kept it because they'll try anything to have a successful baseball game, haha.

Also, HELL YES! for the MLB 09 demo coming out today! I can't freakin wait!!! :bouncy:

I wish they had it. At least perhaps as part of the ASG section, if you've hit enough HRs to qualify. It would take the realism of the game and take it a bit further. I was disappointed last year when I got to that point and it didn't have it. It's a great way to kill about 20 minutes without having to get into game action.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I wish they had it. At least perhaps as part of the ASG section, if you've hit enough HRs to qualify. It would take the realism of the game and take it a bit further. I was disappointed last year when I got to that point and it didn't have it. It's a great way to kill about 20 minutes without having to get into game action.[/quote]

Exactly my point. Hopefully the other mini game will suffice. If its 2 player "Pepper" that could be pretty cool

the best was in MVP... they had that mini-game where you had to hit the ball certain points of the field... pretty fun i thought

[quote name='lolwut?']So, where is the best place to unload 08?[/quote]

Well, it was BBV...but they just adopted a new trade-in price structure. So now, who knows.

Haha, yeah, I was about to say the same thing. I kept wondering why the hell it wasn't listed in the "new demos" section yet. I ended up just browsing alphabetically, and after the two MLB 08 demos, there it was. I'm currently at about 7%. Maybe I'll get to play this in the next two hours, haha.

Blockbuster has some good trade-in values... I trade Rock Band in 3 days after Rock Band 2 came out and got 32 bucks! I was like... holy w00t

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, it was BBV...but they just adopted a new trade-in price structure. So now, who knows.[/quote]

Really? Maybe when I go to drop off some movies I'll get it scanned and see what they say. $20+ would be worth it for me

Man, I don't know what's going on but my pitcher is letting an insane amount of balls pass by him. Did he get drafted from little league or something? Eesh.

[quote name='lolwut?']Really? Maybe when I go to drop off some movies I'll get it scanned and see what they say. $20+ would be worth it for me[/quote]

They give $15, I called yesterday.

I think I finally got a grasp on hitting. The players seem to swing way faster in 09 than in previous years. I sort of expected to jump into the game, but it's different enough so that I'm still struggling. At the very least, it's a nice looking game. The screenshot feature is neat, too.

nvz313.png

Hammels threw a pitch in the dirt and fatty Pena didn't run to first. Next thing you know there's a cutscene showing Maddon berating Pena in the dugout.

I love this game.

[quote name='DestroVega']This isn't even the finished build of the game so, any weird kinks should be ironed out on release.[/QUOTE]SCEA (or any SCE dev) has a long history of releasing old demos, which are honestly NOT as good as the final version (where the final version fixes many issues). A lot of it has to do with them taking an old demo and putting it on the PS Store.

Played the demo and it's pretty cool. Since I'm not a veteran of the series, still trying to get better with batting.

Just started up the demo and I have to say "Damn" at the graphics being even better than they were last year. That was a surprise that screenshots really did not prepare me for.

You guys should try pitching from behind the Pitcher (Either Pitcher or Outfield option). They did ALOT of work with the crowd. The crowd actually walks up and down the stairs now, and you'll see vendors walk the stars also.

You'll also see fans stand up in their seats and talk to the people behind them, and fix their seats. Another cool thing is that the crowd doesn't all look one way. You'll see a few look one way, and a couple another way. Plus they'll talk to each other.

So awesome.

Still haven't got the philly phanatic yet :(

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']You guys should try pitching from behind the Pitcher (Either Pitcher or Outfield option). They did ALOT of work with the crowd. The crowd actually walks up and down the stairs now, and you'll see vendors walk the stars also.

You'll also see fans stand up in their seats and talk to the people behind them...

Still haven't got the philly phanatic yet :([/quote]

Played for 10 minutes last night, and got the Phanatic animation piece.:)
Love the small improvements in graphics. Day 1 purchase for me again.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/06/mlb-09-the-show-sounds-of-the-show/

New Sony blog post about the audio portion of the game:

The following is an important public service announcement for all PlayStation baseball fans: THE PS3 PRE-RELEASE DOWNLOADABLE DEMO FOR MLB 09 THE SHOW IS NOW AVAILABLE ON PSN. If you are a baseball fan, you are strongly advised to drop everything and initiate the download. We now return you to the regularly scheduled programming.

Hey Everybody, this is Andrew Bracken from Sony’s San Diego Studios and MLB to talk about our audio features and additions for MLB 09 The Show. This year we have added a new set of features called Sounds of the Show, featuring a voice recorder that lets you become part of the crowd, as well as a music editor.

The Custom Chants and Yells feature allows you to record your own voice and hear it in the game, either as a fan yelling from the crowd or as a simulated crowd chant. All you need is a microphone or headset for the PS3 and you can go to town. You can use all sorts of mics such as ones from Rock Band, the PlayStation Eye, and bluetooth headsets, among others. These yells and chants can be added to any player in the Personalize tab, either as cheers or jeers, depending on whether the player is playing at home or away.

We have been having a lot of fun with it and we’re sure you guys will, too. So warm up those vocal chords and get ready to yell. But please try and be nice…unless you’re playing against the Yankees.

On the music side of things, last year we introduced My MLB Music which allows you to add your own songs to the MLB playlist. As you may have heard, this year we have added the ability to add your own music to players’ batter walk ups, home run celebrations, and relief pitcher entrances.

One thing we really felt was important was to not only allow you to be able to add your own music to the game, but also to let you choose what part of the song you wanted to hear. A lot of great songs have long intros and if you put those into games, you might never get to hear the part of the song that you really want to hear. So we developed the Music Editor that lets you add up to three marker points to each song to get the music to start exactly where you want it to in game. Like the custom chants and yells, you can then attach it to it to any player you want in the Personalize tab in the Edit Player or Create Player screen. The music editor is not only in the PS3 game but also the PSP as well.

I am definitely enjoying having my created player come up to bat while the chorus for Culture Club’s “Karma Chameleon” is pumping out of the stadiums speakers….er…wait - did I say Culture Club? I meant Metallica.

We have also added a new audio option for the game called music mode. Music mode turns off the announcers and plays your music continuously through gameplay. You can also choose how you want to hear the music - through the PA speakers like you are at the stadium, or without reverb and play your music normally. One way I have been playing lately is with the announcers for the first few innings and the last, but turning on music mode for the middle innings to change up the audio experience.

One last thing - this year we have added support for AAC files for PS3, in addition to mp3 and wav, so you won’t need to change your music import settings on your PS3.

Thanks and we’re hoping you crank up the volume while playing MLB 09 The Show and have as much fun with these new features as we are.

So I anyone getting a league together?

I would set one up but I'd rather leave it to a more experienced CAGer. Let's get something started; pitchers and catchers are reporting soon!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the custom audio. I'm a sucker for those little touches that add even more realism to the game (I had the Yankee roster all tricked out with their intro music in MLB 2K5). This means "Enter Sandman" will once again play through my surround sound as I bring Mariano Rivera in to close out the 9th. It's too bad they added this the year Jason Giambi left. I'll have to add the NWO Wolfpack theme as his A's walkup, so when I play them, I can reminisce about old times.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but when the season starts, would anyone be interested in helping compile a list of batter/pitcher intros? I found a site that has a pretty decent list, but some of these seem pretty outdated. It's a good start though.
http://wikibin.org/articles/list-of-baseball-entrance-music.html

Wow, they're sure adding a lot to this game. I can't imagine what more they can add in future years. Can't wait to pick this up.

[quote name='xistence']So I anyone getting a league together?

I would set one up but I'd rather leave it to a more experienced CAGer. Let's get something started; pitchers and catchers are reporting soon![/quote]

Well, FriskyTanuki ran the first league last year and I ran the 2nd one. He's been all about keeping us up to date on this game, so I'm more than happy to nominate him as our Commish this year.

I think our leagues played about the same number of games last year (16). But honestly, if we could find committed guys, I wouldn't mind stretching it to 32 games and just having one league rather than starting a 2nd around the ASB. Of course, the key there is finding COMMITTED guys.

Bring up the XMB and go to the "Photos" section. The cool thing is that it seems you can take screenshots whenever you want.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, FriskyTanuki ran the first league last year and I ran the 2nd one. He's been all about keeping us up to date on this game, so I'm more than happy to nominate him as our Commish this year.

I think our leagues played about the same number of games last year (16). But honestly, if we could find committed guys, I wouldn't mind stretching it to 32 games and just having one league rather than starting a 2nd around the ASB. Of course, the key there is finding COMMITTED guys.[/quote]

I'll throw in Frisky for Commish as well then :applause:

I would be down to stretch it to 32 games. As long as people stay committed, it would be pretty competitive.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']That's awesome. And then from there you just put it on a USB?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Or you can use sites like tinypic.com directly from the PS3. Works well. I just uploaded this.

262md4z.png

I'd be interested in getting a league again. Only concern is have they fixed the online issues? I remember more than half of the games that I've played were filled with lag and whoever won was based mostly on luck.

Hey all - I really want to get into the league. I think N8 would vouch for me in that I play fair and put forth effort to get all my games in!

Can't wait for this game!

[quote name='MrDubbs']was it just me, or did the pitching cursor seem laggy to anyone else?[/QUOTE]

I thought there was a slight framerate lag on most of the demo. The game still is great, but I hope they clean that up a bit. Maybe it was the resolution, I know last years was 720p preferred.

The screenshot feature is nice, though I wish it was just done with say the press of both analog sticks and not through the XMB. I thought that black box in the two screens above was permanent until I just stretched the demo out to the edges of my HD monitor.

[quote name='doubledown']I thought there was a slight framerate lag on most of the demo. The game still is great, but I hope they clean that up a bit. Maybe it was the resolution, I know last years was 720p preferred.[/quote]

I did notice it on other things to, so perhaps that was it. My PS3 was set to 1080P

[quote name='talonthrawn']You guys from n8's league know that I'm in again. I have some revenge to seek![/quote]

Lookin for me?

bread's done
Back