MLB 09: The Show - March 3, 2009 - Demo Out Now!

[quote name='arnoldhead']Sort of. Sports games drop in price pretty fast so I was planning on waiting a while before picking it up, and seeing Pedroia on the cover makes the wait easier. If someone else was on the cover it'd be a more difficult decision.[/quote]

Well, the good Lord made me a Yankee fan. So, just by my nature, I hate everything that is Boston. More importantly, I love baseball. And passing up a game this great would be grounds for having my fan license revoked. Sure, sports games drop in price, but I'm paying to be able to enjoy this with everybody else on day one.

Plus, The Show is one of the few sports games that holds its value well. 08 STILL sells at Gamestop for $39.99 used. Not to mention that with my various CAG ways, I won't be paying full price anyway. So you're going to wait a full year...to save $20? It sounds more likely to me that you're just not a very big baseball fan. Pedroia or not, this is a game a baseball fan should have.

Also, thanks to TheRock for making/linking us to those covers! I've got so many Yankee choices now. The CC one is nice, but he hasn't earned his pinstripes yet. And the Joba one is just a bad picture (wish you could see his face). I'll probably go with either A-Rod, Jeter, or Mo.

I agree with n8rock, last year's Show didn't have any kind of price drop for a good long while. Plus, I'd rather just get a sports game early on so I can get rid it of faster before the trade-in/resale drops to nothingness.

Amazon has a mild discount on pre-orders, so I'll probably go that route.

[quote name='arnoldhead']If Dustin Pedroia wasn't on the cover this would be an insta-buy even for a cheapass like me. Sony really dropped the ball on this one.[/QUOTE]

ew.gif

I hate the Red Sox more than anyone, I couldn't care less if the '04 victory celebration in game 7 of the ALCS was the cover... I'm buying it the minute it comes out.

You can find it used for a 5 dollar savings whenever someone sells one back, and there will probably be a ten dollar savings on it after 3 months or so.... neither are worth the wait.

Regarding the price, I remember seeing MLB 08 on clearance at Target within a couple months, going as low as $15. And if people think sports games hold their value well just because Gamestop continues to rip people off, then I don't know what to say.

Anyways I dont' plan on waiting for the game to go on clearance. My point is that sports games generally drop in price pretty quickly, especially when considering the quality of the titles.

[quote name='DestroVega']I hate the Red Sox more than anyone, I couldn't care less if the '04 victory celebration in game 7 of the ALCS was the cover... I'm buying it the minute it comes out.

You can find it used for a 5 dollar savings whenever someone sells one back, and there will probably be a ten dollar savings on it after 3 months or so.... neither are worth the wait.[/quote]

Actually, you get it for 55 used @ GS, yes, but then can use your Edge card to save another 5 bucks and they release various coupons where once a month, there is usually a 20% off used PS3 games coupon floating out there. So typically, you can get used games for 38 bucks + tax (unless you are using credit, so I don't typically have to pay anymore).

That being said, I think this is the only game this year that I won't wait to buy. Even my other top anticipated games like Uncharted 2, I will wait a bit to find a good deal on.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Regarding the price, I remember seeing MLB 08 on clearance at Target within a couple months, going as low as $15. And if people think sports games hold their value well just because Gamestop continues to rip people off, then I don't know what to say.

Anyways I dont' plan on waiting for the game to go on clearance. My point is that sports games generally drop in price pretty quickly, especially when considering the quality of the titles.[/quote]

If you are willing to wait until after the long baseball season is over, then yes, you may find it on clearance. I am willing to bet though that MLB 09 holds its value for the baseball season itself.

MLB 2K9, on the otherhand..

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't really get why anyone would refuse to buy a sports game because of who is on the cover.[/quote]

I certainly hope they are joking.

I'm a Sox fan and I got the 2K series when Jeter was on the cover. Never even considered not buying it because of the cover.

Good sports games don't drop in price till near the end of the season if even that. They'll hold good resale value, it's the bad sports games that drop in price quickly since few people bought them. I'm the same way, if a rival player of my favorite team is on the cover, I would probably skip the game that year. Like for example, if a Dodger was on the cover it would be an instant no buy for me.

[quote name='Thongsy']Good sports games don't drop in price till near the end of the season if even that. They'll hold good resale value, it's the bad sports games that drop in price quickly since few people bought them. I'm the same way, if a rival player of my favorite team is on the cover, I would probably skip the game that year. Like for example, if a Dodger was on the cover it would be an instant no buy for me.[/quote]
Terrible. If a Dodger player was on the cover I would've already pre-ordered the game.

Anyways this is starting to get off topic but I disagree regarding good sports games not dropping in price. They may not have universal price drops as frequently as shitty games, but are routinely put on sale throughout the season and can be had for much cheaper than the initial $60 asking price. The only sports game that doesn't drop in price pretty quickly is Madden, since it's the only football game in town.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Regarding the price, I remember seeing MLB 08 on clearance at Target within a couple months, going as low as $15. And if people think sports games hold their value well just because Gamestop continues to rip people off, then I don't know what to say.

Anyways I dont' plan on waiting for the game to go on clearance. My point is that sports games generally drop in price pretty quickly, especially when considering the quality of the titles.[/QUOTE]

You're trying to use Target's weird clearance policy as a clue that sports games don't hold their values. Fifa says hello.

It's simply not true. NCAA 08 is still $40, and MLB just only recently hit $30. While the crappy games do drop in price (2k8, here's looking at you), the good ones most certainly hold their value. Hell, it still gets $23 in trade at Blockbuster.

Anyways I dont' plan on waiting for the game to go on clearance. My point is that sports games generally drop in price pretty quickly, especially when considering the quality of the titles.[/quote]

If you're going to try to contradict me, dude, as least get your facts straight. As an avid follower of the BBV Thread, I remember when The Show 08 was a worthwhile flip. I checked the Target Clearance thread to find exact dates, and it appears that The Show dropped to $41.98 around 9/30, $29.98 around 10/13, and finally to $14.98 on 10/24. For perspective, the last game of the World Series was on 10/27. Now if you're ok waiting until the last month of the season to save $20, that's fine. But I'd say you're not much of a fan.

Now, don't get me wrong. You're free to do whatever the hell you want. It's none of my business. But don't attempt to steer people in the wrong direction by giving the false impression that this game's price will drop like a brick. It's not Beowulf for God's sake...or Heaven forbid...MLB 2K8. I agree that sports games generally have some of the worst depreciation (along with movie games). But The Show is not your average "cash in every year" sports game.

As you said, the "quality" of the game is rather important. The Show maintained a TIV of $30 at BBV all the way into November. So, buy the game new on launch day, play it for 8 months, trade it in when the season's over, and congratulations: you just got half your money back. I don't know of many games that hold that kind of quality. Do you?

Alright, first of all I'll admit Target does have a weird clearance policy (I swear NBA 09 went straight to the clearance shelf) but I'm not just talking about them. With sales and price drops, even good sports games can be had for much less than the initial $60 price tag if the person is willing to wait. And just because a retailer still charges ~$40 for last years sports games doesn't mean people are going to buy them at that price. I checked amazon a while ago to see if they had any pre-order specials for MLB 09 and noticed that MLB 08 is still $57. Does that mean I'm gonna have to spend $57 if I want a copy of last year's game? Of course not, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would. Just because a retailer is being stingy doesn't mean you can't find the game for a better price somewhere else.

Secondly, n8rockerasu, if I wanted to pay only $40 for the game do you really think I'd have to wait until the last month of the season, or wait a whole year and finally get it at Gamestop? Seriously?? I know you were just using Gamestop as an example, as I was using Target as an example, but let's be real. Sports games become outdated within a year, and anyone looking to buy a game knows this. I routinely see sports games for $40-$45 on craiglist within a month of the start of the season. Sure it'd be great to get games right when they come out, but I'm not a member of this site because I want to pay full price. Apparently that makes me less of a fan, and it was very classy of you to point that out. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.

My apologies to everyone else as this has gotten way off topic. I'm still really looking forward to this game, although it mainly looks like they've just fixed some minor issues and added things that should've already been part of last year's game.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Secondly, n8rockerasu, if I wanted to pay only $40 for the game do you really think I'd have to wait until the last month of the season, or wait a whole year and finally get it at Gamestop? Seriously?? I know you were just using Gamestop as an example, as I was using Target as an example, but let's be real. Sports games become outdated within a year, and anyone looking to buy a game knows this. I routinely see sports games for $40-$45 on craiglist within a month of the start of the season. Sure it'd be great to get games right when they come out, but I'm not a member of this site because I want to pay full price. Apparently that makes me less of a fan, and it was very classy of you to point that out. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.[/quote]

This is what you said:

Regarding the price, I remember seeing MLB 08 on clearance at Target within a couple months, going as low as $15. And if people think sports games hold their value well just because Gamestop continues to rip people off, then I don't know what to say.

Anyways I dont' plan on waiting for the game to go on clearance. My point is that sports games generally drop in price pretty quickly, especially when considering the quality of the titles.
All I did was show why that statement is false. I don't care how, when, or if you acquire the game. But don't make a case for something that is completely untrue, and then try to convince people of it. I'll be buying The Show on day one because I can say with confidence that it WILL NOT drop in price as quickly as many sports games do. And on top of that, it's one of the few games out there that are actually worth full price anyway. You have every right to disagree with me. But while you're disagreeing, I'll be playing baseball :)

I like to say I bought a PS3 for MGS4, but the honesty is in this. I love MLB 0* series, and can't wait for 09 :D

Also what kind of paper do you guys reccomend for those custom covers?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']This is what you said:

All I did was show why that statement is false. I don't care how, when, or if you acquire the game. But don't make a case for something that is completely untrue, and then try to convince people of it. I'll be buying The Show on day one because I can say with confidence that it WILL NOT drop in price as quickly as many sports games do. And on top of that, it's one of the few games out there that are actually worth full price anyway. You have every right to disagree with me. But while you're disagreeing, I'll be playing baseball :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And I'm ecstatic that this year's game is mostly upgrades. You don't overhaul one of the best baseball games ever made after one year.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
All I did was show why that statement is false. I don't care how, when, or if you acquire the game. But don't make a case for something that is completely untrue, and then try to convince people of it. I'll be buying The Show on day one because I can say with confidence that it WILL NOT drop in price as quickly as many sports games do. And on top of that, it's one of the few games out there that are actually worth full price anyway. You have every right to disagree with me. But while you're disagreeing, I'll be playing baseball :)[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='TheRock88']If you guys are looking for custom covers, I've been making a lot for the folks over at Operation Sports. So far I think I've created about 26 or so covers ranging from Prince Fielder to Ted Williams.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/scea-sports-mlb/288632-mlb-09-show-custom-covers.html

Here's a sample:

As for the game, sounds really good so far. Glad they fixed the doubles problem, last year's game I had something like 10 hits in a game and with 9 of them usually being singles.[/QUOTE]

OMG! Thats a sweeet cover.

Any METS covers? D. Wright? Reyes? Santana? Beltran? K-Rod?

I can't wait for the league this year and I am so happy they changed the baserunning! I couldnt get a grasp of the baserunning last year for the life of me.

[quote name='ivanctorres']OMG! Thats a sweeet cover.

Any METS covers? D. Wright? Reyes? Santana? Beltran? K-Rod? [/quote]

I havent created any Mets yet but there are some by other people in that topic I linked to.

[quote name='arnoldhead']Sort of. Sports games drop in price pretty fast so I was planning on waiting a while before picking it up, and seeing Pedroia on the cover makes the wait easier. If someone else was on the cover it'd be a more difficult decision.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='edson13']as childish as it may seem, Im with you 100%[/QUOTE]Like some have said, MLB08: The Show held its price for quite a while (It's still $40 used from what some said).

I can safely say if you are expecting a quick price drop to MLB09: The Show, you will be disappointed. You might get lucky and see it at Amazon, Best Buy, or Target on sale. The main reason I say no to a price drop is because SCEA RARELY drops prices to their own games even if they don't sell too well (Resistance 1 didn't drop until it became GH. Hot Shots Golf: OoB, GT5P, Uncharted: DF, etc. never dropped. If anything it's the retailer who chooses to drop to get rid of the last copies (not an SCEA universal drop). There's even been thread discussions at some forums over this.

MLB 08 is still $60 at Wal-Mart :(. I was going to get it but I can wait the month hah.

Also, TheRock nice covers. Hope someone does a jesus stance David Price one :D

Arnoldhead you are so incorrect. MLB The Show 08 did not go on clearance at Target until around the World Series, and even then it was only down to $40. Most places still sell it for $50-$60 new. Gamestop sells it for $40 used still and we're 5 weeks from the new one coming out.

MLB 2K8 on the otherhand was on clearance by the All-Star Break at Target for $30, and got down to $15 wayyyyyyyyyy before The Show ever saw $40.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Arnoldhead you are so incorrect. MLB The Show 08 did not go on clearance at Target until around the World Series, and even then it was only down to $40. Most places still sell it for $50-$60 new. Gamestop sells it for $40 used still and we're 5 weeks from the new one coming out.

MLB 2K8 on the otherhand was on clearance by the All-Star Break at Target for $30, and got down to $15 wayyyyyyyyyy before The Show ever saw $40.[/quote]
Yeah I realized I must have been thinking of 2K8, but I still believe MLB 09 will be available for a better price pretty early on. Everyone seems to disagree with me on this one, but I don't mind waiting to pick up the game so I guess I'll be finding out.

[quote name='smiggity']MLB 08 The Show is $10 bucks at Meijer right now.[/QUOTE]That's if you have a Meijer by you (oh course I do) and it's technically not a universal drop (where all retailers including GameStop are suppose to drop the price). It comes down to you might see it, you might not. That's how I look at it. But before now, wasn't MLB 08: The Show full price at Meijer for a while (I believe so)?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']That's if you have a Meijer by you (oh course I do) and it's technically not a universal drop (where all retailers including GameStop are suppose to drop the price). It comes down to you might see it, you might not. That's how I look at it. But before now, wasn't MLB 08: The Show full price at Meijer for a while (I believe so)?[/quote]

You are correct sir. Although I know that the price drop is ffor all of MI at least, since born picked one up and I saw them @ Metro Detroit & Sagnasty

[quote name='arnoldhead']Yeah I realized I must have been thinking of 2K8, but I still believe MLB 09 will be available for a better price pretty early on. Everyone seems to disagree with me on this one, but I don't mind waiting to pick up the game so I guess I'll be finding out.[/quote]

OK well good luck with that. Best you'll probably get it is $50 and by then the CAG league will be full. Maybe you can get in the second league.

[quote name='smiggity']You are correct sir. Although I know that the price drop is ffor all of MI at least, since born picked one up and I saw them @ Metro Detroit & Sagnasty[/QUOTE]Oh course it's all of Meijer locations in MI, IN, or wherever you go. Even if every Meijer location drops the price, it still isn't technically a universal price drop. A universal price drop is when (like with Burnout Paradise dropping to $19.99 recently) is when you go into GameStop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and many other retailers wherever around the country and you will see it for that price (retailers don't take a huge hit lowering the price since retailer loyalty/publisher profit is re-distribute). When a store puts something way below MSRP to clear it out (when Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. are still charging full price), the retailer takes the hit (unless they made some deal with the publisher or something). But all I'm trying to say is SCEA does not do very many universal price drops (sometimes you may find a good deal at retailers getting rid of games or a sale) and which is why you'll probably see MLB 09: The Show at full price for a while (Target, Meijer, etc. might clearance it after a while, no doubt, but a Universal price drop my All-Star break is unlikely IMO. MLB 2k9 on the other hand, very likely since Take Two tends to drop prices often).

Anyway, I will most likely get this sometime, but I don't think I'll take part of the CAG league. I do feel this game will have no problems filling though, like MSUHitman said.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Oh course it's all of Meijer locations in MI, IN, or wherever you go. Even if every Meijer location drops the price, it still isn't technically a universal price drop. A universal price drop is when (like with Burnout Paradise dropping to $19.99 recently) is when you go into GameStop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and many other retailers wherever around the country and you will see it for that price (retailers don't take a huge hit lowering the price since retailer loyalty/publisher profit is re-distribute). When a store puts something way below MSRP to clear it out (when Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. are still charging full price), the retailer takes the hit (unless they made some deal with the publisher or something). But all I'm trying to say is SCEA does not do very many universal price drops (sometimes you may find a good deal at retailers getting rid of games or a sale) and which is why you'll probably see MLB 09: The Show at full price for a while (Target, Meijer, etc. might clearance it after a while, no doubt, but a Universal price drop my All-Star break is unlikely IMO. MLB 2k9 on the other hand, very likely since Take Two tends to drop prices often).

Anyway, I will most likely get this sometime, but I don't think I'll take part of the CAG league. I do feel this game will have no problems filling though, like MSUHitman said.[/quote]

Cmon TMK Im a Cheap Ass Gamer! I know what a universal price drop is. And I also know that SCEA 1st party games rarely dip below 50;)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/03/mlb-09-the-show-%E2%80%93-road-to-the-show-training-modes/

Some more info on Road to the Show mode:

Hey everybody. My name is Eddy Cramm (Senior Designer), and it’s my turn to bring you MLB 09 The Show blog #3…or #4…maybe #5. Not really sure which one we are on. Bear with me, we are all working some long hours right now getting this game polished and out the door!

I am here to talk about the new features in Road to the Show. When all of this RTTS stuff started 3 years ago, the whole idea behind it was to give a unique career mode experience that focused exclusively on you. Initially that meant that we would fast-forward you to your events so that you only dealt with your fielding plays and your plate appearances, etc. Because lets be honest, who wants to sit out in RF during a career mode and watch three groundballs to the infield. It sucked in little league and it sucks in a career mode, too. But as RTTS progressed, our focus grew to be more than that. It became more about giving the user more control of his path to the majors.

Last year really took a huge step in the goals and points system. The guys on the front-end team like Aaron Luke, Kolbe Launchbaugh, and Jeff Ullman have built a pretty nifty system. That’s right…“nifty.” And from a gameplay standpoint, we have always wanted RTTS to feel like you are doing exactly what you would be doing, from going to Spring training, to working up through the minor leagues, etc. But success isn’t just about what you do in that game situation. Success comes from being prepared when that game moment arises. And contrary to what Allen Iverson thinks, that means practice. That thought process is what brought us to our main new feature this year. Training mode.

Training Mode

In RTTS this year, you will be given opportunities throughout the season to participate in training sessions as selected by your coach. There are two types of training sessions this year. Batting training and Base Stealing training. When we first started designing the batting portion of our training, we kept it a lot like the way the goals system worked. You would be asked to do a specific thing in training and you would be judged on your performance. So when a training session came up, you would be told, “Go practice bunting,” or “Work on your plate discipline.” That is all well and good, but it sucks if you have no interest in practicing your bunting, or could care less about laying off bad pitches. Maybe you just want to get in there and try to mash home runs.

It was one of our A.I. programmers, Brian Ma, that suggested a slight change of focus. He suggested that we just create one type of batting training and just judge it based on what the user does in there. To which I said, “Screw off Brian, I am the designer here! Get back in your office and write some code!!” Ok, maybe I didn’t say that. It was actually a really great idea and is basically the approach we ended up taking. It satisfied one major thing that I thought we were lacking with the original design. It gives the user control of the type of player he can create. So if you take your guy in there and you want to build up his bunting attributes, you can focus on that. If you want to work on your discipline, contact, power, vision, it is all based on what YOU decide to do and how well you do it in the 20 pitch training session.

Base Stealing

Base Stealing training is something that I have wanted to do for the last couple of years now. This year we have done that. In this training, you will have full control of how far you take a lead and when you decide to take off. You have free reign to get a great jump or totally screw it up and get picked off. But that is only half of it. The pitcher should have something to say about how comfortable you are with your lead and your jump. We have introduced new A.I. and animations for the pitcher so that he will do his best to keep you off-balance, like mix up his pickoff moves to give you different looks or even slide-step to the plate to try to get an advantage.
But just like in real life, some guys have better moves than others, or MORE moves than others. So we have different here as well too. So if you are facing a guy like Pettitte, you will have to be a little more cautious. In this training mode, you will be judged on your aggressiveness, your reaction time and your success. The better you do, the more attributes you will gain in Base Running Ability, Base Running Aggressiveness, and Speed.

For realism purposes, we created a training facility where you will do your training when you are in the Majors. But also for realism, if you are in Spring Training, or in the Minors, you will do your training at your home field. During the season, your training sessions will be offered at the beginning of the homestand. Both the Batting and the Base Stealing training are also available in the Main Menu as practice options. These practice options are the same structure except you get to choose who you want to hit or run with, which pitcher you want to face, AND you can choose which pitches he will throw at you from his repertoire. So if you just want to face Santana’s slider, or Zito’s curve, or mix in a combo like Hoffman’s change/fastball, go for it. You can also choose any stadium in case you want to try to hit it over the Green Monster.

I think that about covers it. I think that everyone will really like the new additions to RTTS and I look forward to the feedback. I will answer one question right now that I know will be asked. “Why is there no Pitching or Fielding training??” Valid question. I am glad you asked. Basically it comes down to a question of quality. We have designs for Pitching and for Fielding, but doing all 4 this year would mean that we would have had to do a little less with each mode just to get them all in. So we made the decision to focus on the two and make them as polished and fun as we could. And yes, plans are already underway to bring Pitching and Fielding training to 2010.

If you have made it all the way to the end of this blog, props to you. Hope you got some interesting info out of it and go out and pick up MLB 09 The Show. You are going to love it.

4 inning demo coming out tomorrow!!!!!

http://www.pastapadre.com/6093/mlb-09-the-show-demo-out-tomorrow

I have received confirmation from SCEA that the PS3 demo for MLB 09 The Show is expected to be out tomorrow February 5th. Generally PSN updates at around 3pm PT. The demo is four innings long and features a rematch of the World Series with the Tampa Bay Rays at the Philadelphia Phillies. As mentioned in my community preview write-ups the demo is based on a month old build but it should be a fair representation of what to expect with the final product.

I’ll try to get up a few videos of the demo in the evening and point out some things that may have been fixed or improved upon in the near final build that I played last week vs what the demo offers. Also look for the second set of screenshots from the community preview event to be posted late tonight.

Wewt! I'm pretty much sold on the game, but I'll take a month early demo for sure.

And I'll definitely need that training mode. :p

Whats up with no Home Run Derby? I just assumed it was in there, along with every other baseball game. That is pretty lame its not in the game. Was it in 08?

Nope, the PS3 version hasnt had any home run derby contests in any of its games. I know the PS2 version has it though so I'm surprised they still havent added it yet.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think so.[/quote]

Im surprised.

[quote name='TheRock88']Nope, the PS3 version hasnt had any home run derby contests in any of its games. I know the PS2 version has it though so I'm surprised they still havent added it yet.[/quote]

Very odd. None of my friends have the patience to play a whole game. That kind of eliminates the drunken fun that baseball games have always brought. Hell, just this last summer I played ~100 Home Run Derby sessions on Ken Griffey Jr Baseball for N64. Still one of the best baseball games ever made

bread's done
Back