MLB 09: The Show - March 3, 2009 - Demo Out Now!

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I was let down by RB2 and I loved RB1 more than anything else, but that didn't stop the Inquisition from telling me I was trolling.[/quote]Excuse me for taking this a little OT, though there's more than a little difference in what you were doing versus discussion your opinion in a calm and rational manner.

By the time you were sent to the look-and-don't-touch section of town, you were pretty much acting like a five year old having a temper tantrum and not getting your way. There's more than a little latitude in the expressing of your opinion, though you went well beyond what's considered to be acceptable behavior.

Don't act like some little child pitching a fit because no one else has the same opinion, and they're all wrong. They're opinions and everyone is entitled to them, even you. They're also like assholes, as we all know, and sometimes, it's necessary to close them to up to prevent stinking up the place.

Keep it up with going overboard, acting like a general disruption and causing issue on CAG, and you'll be shown the door quickly and directly.

Where can I get the new patch? Online somewhere when I log on?

Also, does it help the computer lineups yet? When I play manager mode and set Tampa to lead off the Ikiwama it leads off Crawford

But when you simulate it works. Very weird!!!!

[quote name='DestroVega']what's wrong with RB2?[/QUOTE]

Nothing, just apparently it's acceptable to go into a GH:M thread and bash it, yet if you go into a RB thread and bring up logical points about the hardware and the gameplay, you get banned.

In response to shrike:

Excuse me for taking this a little OT, though there's more than a little difference in what you were doing versus discussion your opinion in a calm and rational manner.

By the time you were sent to the look-and-don't-touch section of town, you were pretty much acting like a five year old having a temper tantrum and not getting your way. There's more than a little latitude in the expressing of your opinion, though you went well beyond what's considered to be acceptable behavior.

Don't act like some little child pitching a fit because no one else has the same opinion, and they're all wrong. They're opinions and everyone is entitled to them, even you. They're also like assholes, as we all know, and sometimes, it's necessary to close them to up to prevent stinking up the place.

Keep it up with going overboard, acting like a general disruption and causing issue on CAG, and you'll be shown the door quickly and directly.

I'm pretty sure people jumping on me for saying nothing more than "Not picking up the Renegade cover" and talking about the instruments and pointing out the insufficiency in the RB equipment twisting my words around to be "trolling" is a banable offense too.

It's still ludicrous that I was banned when people were doing the same thing in the GH:M thread, and the only thing that happened was their posts got deleted. I never threw a tantrum in that post. You can even look through my posts in there and never once did I insult anyone. The posts all went:

"I'm not getting Renegade because it's a re-record"

Which someone said I was trolling. I wasn't. I pointed that out.

Then someone said "whats the best instruments" and I said that professional players refuse the RB equipment due to terrible ness, and also said that the solo buttons are the worst invention ever on a plastic instrument. Apparently that's ban worthy. Here's a run down of all my posts in that thread:

The original singer in Styx is gone, so no thank you on the Styx songs since they're re-recorded.
The endless steel achievement has to be one of the dumbest achievements ever thought out next to the "Beat Guitar Hero 3 Expert with a Controller" achievement.
Yes, Controller wise it usually goes (if you have perfect controllers):

Xplorer>Les Paul > GHWT>>>>>>>RB2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>R B1

Atleast that's what it's like in "professional" play. Honestly it comes down to if you perfer that your strum bar makes clicks and has weight, or if your guitar can synch up better / like a light weight feel.

Just what ever you do, stay far far far far away from the RB1 guitar.
Solo buttons: the second worst idea for a guitar controller next to a touch pad.

Everything else was me replying to the people who made those statements out to be "trolling".

Has anyone jumped into our online league yet to see if we can use FA's now?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Nothing, just apparently it's acceptable to go into a GH:M thread and bash it, yet if you go into a RB thread and bring up logical points about the hardware and the gameplay, you get banned.

In response to shrike:

I'm pretty sure people jumping on me for saying nothing more than "Not picking up the Renegade cover" and talking about the instruments and pointing out the insufficiency in the RB equipment twisting my words around to be "trolling" is a banable offense too.

It's still ludicrous that I was banned when people were doing the same thing in the GH:M thread, and the only thing that happened was their posts got deleted. I never threw a tantrum in that post. You can even look through my posts in there and never once did I insult anyone. The posts all went:

"I'm not getting Renegade because it's a re-record"

Which someone said I was trolling. I wasn't. I pointed that out.

Then someone said "whats the best instruments" and I said that professional players refuse the RB equipment due to terrible ness, and also said that the solo buttons are the worst invention ever on a plastic instrument. Apparently that's ban worthy.

Has anyone jumped into our online league yet to see if we can use FA's now?[/quote]

:boxing:

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']In response to shrike:

Everything else was me replying to the people who made those statements out to be "trolling".
[/quote]In response back to you:
You went well beyond what's an acceptable response to your opinion being challenged. Well, well beyond it. You were cornering the market on the temper tantrum.

No one was twisting your words, you were doing that well enough on your own. You acted like a petulant little child not getting your way, mixed in with some attention whoring for good measure because people weren't giving you the due you thought you had. Certainly no one was considering you were beaming the sunshine of enlightenment into your head, that obviously you were doing.

It sounded more like a personal crusade against Harmonix and how you were so obviously in the right that anyone else was completely wrong and had no opinions worthwhile.

You derailed a thread and when pointed out that you were doing so, you went on more of a tirade that was more religious fervor than actual opinion. People were lining up left and right to put you on ignore, a move I wholeheartedly support. If the person screaming that the sky is falling isn't acknowledged, eventually they'll see they're crazy and go elsewhere.

No one is saying you're not entitled to your opinions. Making them sound like religious dogma and nothing rational in their delivery is a completely different matter. Act like an adult and people will treat you like one. Act like a child, or some religious nut, and you're likely to be shown the door.

I've seen the occasional glimmer of intelligent and rational arguments in your posts. Far too seldom between them for CAG's sake. I'd suggest go finding them, or I'm sure GameFAQs will be happy to take you among their knuckle-dragging group.

For someone trying to prove that you're not like previous users that were banned for similar behavior, you need some pointers on how to behave.

I still don't understand how saying "No thanks on the Renegade cover" was derailing the thread, since it was the topic on hand, but go ahead and accuse me of zealously.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']
I still don't understand how saying "No thanks on the Renegade cover" was derailing the thread, since it was the topic on hand, but go ahead and accuse me of zealously.
[/QUOTE]

Every other post in the Harmonix thread was a post by you with some negative comment. Instead of making a rational argument, you presented none and instead just spammed the thread with your point of view. Anyone who had an opposing point of view was deemed an idiot and you just continued to spam your feelings. The board isn't your personal playground and to ensure that others were able to stomach reading that thread you were silenced. Your comment that says I wasn't interested in getting Renegade just shows how delusional you are.

I also love how you continue to bash Harmonix in this thread for no fucking reason. I fail to see how a music game has game crushing bugs that compare to anything like this game. Just do everyone a favor and keep the bold opinions to yourself.

THERE ONCE WAS A LONG POINTLESS RANT HERE ABOUT SOMETHING THAT'S DONE AND OVER. I WAS WRONG. SELF DESTRUCTION, GOT ME AGAIN.

Why are we doing this in the MLB thread anyways.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']
How was that comment disillusional? The PR just said that Renegade was the next week DLC, and I said "Oh, I'll pass because it's a re-record". How was that off topic? Oh and as for game killing bugs, i was talking about the bug with multiplayer where if you access the guide while it's searching it crashes. And I never called anyone an idiot in that thread, not if it wasn't unwarranted in them turning my trolls into stuff that wasn't said. Again, what's the reasoning that I was banned for saying that stuff, yet the countless people who did the same thing in GH:M thread didn't get banned? It's pretty evident CAG is getting funded by Harmonix and you guy's don't want it to come out. /zealot *rolls eyes*

And sorry, but it wasn't my feelings in recommending people spend their money right on the right instruments. You mod's keep saying stuff about how I was flamming and spamming, yet neither one of you have yet to pin point me where it was. And you keep ignoring the GH:M thread spamming. It's pretty evident that the mod's personal feelings on the game were taken into account when the banning occured. If I had same the same thing, but about GHWT/GH:M chances are, I wouldn't be banned. It just seems that because I was a fan of GHWT and GH:M that i'm all of a sudden trolling RB and RB2 if I say i'm passing on the weekly DLC, regardless of past posts where i've heralded the DLC and wanted to pick it up.

As for shrike and his "trying to proove" thing, how am I trying to prove anything? The internet detectives confused me with some posters that posted on my site by jumping to conclusions

Why are we doing this in the MLB thread anyways.[/quote]
Because you brought it up yourself here for no reason. If you didn't bring it up again and again, neither Shrike or Casey would've shown up in this thread. Since you need examples to remember what you've written about:

Examples:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5764098

The part about the Styx DLC was fine before you turned it into the rant here, where you went on a big rant about Rock Band not being kid-friendly because kids aren't legally allowed to buy Teen-rated games. That goes on for a good while as you make more laughable arguments trying to defend that point until the end. You also start making the same kinds of comparisons between Neversoft and Harmonix here that develop in later posts in that thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5764216

You bring up here the classic rant you always make about Harmonix abandoning Rock Band and then add some more to the Harmonix vs. Neversoft thing.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5765717

Now you're delving into your anti-Harmonix rants and all of the same stuff that got posts deleted in the GHM thread.

You go back to that Rock Band isn't kid-friendly argument again to make that about ~30 posts of trolling that is probably the reason that you were silenced.

As explained, it was brought up to the point that Sony does patches in time when there's serious bugs, as to a developer that patches 6 months + later. I only used RB2 because it's the game i've spent most of my time on lately, and it was the only one I could think of that didn't have a patch. Plus I was busting n8's balls, accusing him of trolling, because he'd get it because he was in that thread. It was entirely in tongue-in-cheek. Sorry you didn't get it.

Meh who cares, it's just going to turn into another rant.

Still, it was the potshot at the mods in that response that brought them into here. You could've avoided this by just saying RB1 and RB2 and explaining the glitch before moving on without alerting anyone to the subject.

I was wondering if updated rosters are released with updated player ratings throughout the year. I know the NBA games did it this year, and since this is the first version of the show I've owned I was curious if there are similar updates.

[quote name='FrankySox']I was wondering if updated rosters are released with updated player ratings throughout the year. I know the NBA games did it this year, and since this is the first version of the show I've owned I was curious if there are similar updates.[/quote]

The official Sony updates come out every Monday, but don't have the minor league players unless they've been in the majors before. Each update at the beginning of the month will update player ratings according to Sony.

If you want rosters with the minor leagues as well, then you will want to go into the roster vault and download either Ridin or Knight's rosters. Those guys are from the Operation Sports forum and go crazy in depth with everything.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The official Sony updates come out every Monday, but don't have the minor league players unless they've been in the majors before. Each update at the beginning of the month will update player ratings according to Sony.

If you want rosters with the minor leagues as well, then you will want to go into the roster vault and download either Ridin or Knight's rosters. Those guys are from the Operation Sports forum and go crazy in depth with everything.[/QUOTE]

Ok cool. I really don't care about minor league players, just looking for up to date player ratings.

[quote name='FrankySox']Ok cool. I really don't care about minor league players, just looking for up to date player ratings.[/quote]

When you get to the main menu, log into Sports Connect and that will prompt you to save the latest roster update. Just check it tomorrow night and they new one should be up.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Well my replays are still broken. Anyone else have this problem? If we started a franchise before this patch are we just screwed?[/QUOTE]

Before this "mini-patch" or before the last patch you mean? From what I understand, if you started a franchise before the last patch, you have about a 92% chance that it will crash. I haven't heard anything about the mini-patch causing crashes though. If that's true, Sony needs to give everybody a $20 refund. The season is a 3rd of the way over and they're still struggling to make the game work properly.

SCEA seriously needs to fire every QA and tester they've got because they completely botched this game this year. There's no way I buy it at launch next year. I'll wait till I can find it used at GS and throw a 20% off coupon on top of it. I feel like we got literally no incentive to buy the game early this year.

EDIT - Well, I just looked at the OS boards (which I've been trying to avoid because their rampant defending and SCEA ass kissing makes me sick), and it appears that some people are getting crashes for the first time after downloading the mini-patch. It seems completely random though, so I don't know if you could say you're "screwed". Honestly, I haven't touched this game in 3 weeks partially because I feel scorned by it and partially because I've just been enjoying UFC. I'm scared to find out what will happen when I go back to it though.

Basically I'm in the same boat I was in before this mini-patch. After the game if I try to go into replay mode and save a replay I get an error saving replay not saved or once I start a replay it won't stop or says it's been saved right when I start a replay and it's not saved. No problems with franchise crashing, but I'm still in late April.

Wow...so it took me all of two days to get frustrated with this game again. I started back with my Yankee franchise trying to get myself back into the game. I wanted a challenge and had been playing on All-Star, using the "perfect" sliders from the vault (when I stopped playing 2 months ago, my record was 3-11).

For the most part, the sliders provide a realistic game, but I just can't help but feel that certain aspects coded into the game end up ruining it. They are small things, but they generally give the CPU extra at bats, or end up altering the game's outcome completely.

For one, the fielder diving in this game is flat out broken. I know their goal was to eliminate the vacuum catches, but this is so much worse. When a ball is hit two feet from you, but at a decent (not blistering, but decent) speed, you HAVE to dive to get to it. And most big league fielders should be able to pull this off. But I've got guys like A-Rod and Teixeira just flopping, diving over the ball. This is infuriating.

Another thing related to fielding is I HATE how they'll have one infielder lunge at the ball like he is going to go after it. I might just be an idiot but this fools me almost EVERY single time into thinking that I'm controlling that fielder. By the time I realize I'm the other fielder, the ball has rolled into the outfield and all the runners are safe. Switching to the fielding cam can be disorienting enough without having players moving who have no shot at the play.

Another thing I hate is the umpire "personalities". Again, I know the intent behind this was to make the game more "realistic", but what they've ended up with is so far from that it makes me sick. Yes, there are bad calls in every game in real life, but not to the extent and severity that they are in this game. I've had several at bats where I was pitching and threw 5 clean strikes (ball completely inside the strikezone) and ended up walking the guy.

And with the way this game naturally plays (hard to get hits, generally low scoring games), you just can't afford to be walking people. And usually after getting severely squeezed, my pitcher won't be able to find the strikezone to save his life. I know you can turn variable strikezones off, but not once you've started a franchise...and I started my franchise using Ridin's rosters that weren't screwed up by SCEA's crappy patch, and the historical stat glitch, and all that other crap they botched in this game this year.

This leads me to my final rant, which caused me to replay the same game over and over at least 3 times today. The last game I played before I put the game down for two months was against the A's, where Rivera blew the save and I lost. My first game back (last night against the A's again), same situation, Rivera again blows the save, and I lose. Odd, but I let it go thinking I'm just rusty. I play the final game of the series today...same situation again. AGAIN, Rivera just blows the freaking save.

Yeah, it would be easy to assume that my pitching just sucks, but all of these games were like 2-1, 3-2 scores, where I was only allowing 4-5 hits for the entire game. Then, in the 9th inning, Mo starts getting rocked, and the CPU is getting 3-4 hits in the inning to win the damn game. I haven't looked into it too much, but is there some kind of CPU rally slider in the game? It just seems ridiculous for me to not be able to close out a win.

I guess I could always turn the difficulty down to Veteran, but I know I'm not horrible at this game...and it wouldn't be much fun to dominate every game either. It's just these little things piss me off to no end. Needless to say, I don't think it's anywhere near as good as last year's game (which was my favorite baseball game ever). Sorry to rant about all this. I'm just disappointed that for whatever reason, I just can't seem to enjoy this game this year.

I know where you're coming from rocker. My issue has been the numerous bugs across all platforms (still mad at myself for not getting Resistance as my free PSP game when Amazon had the PSP 2000's on sale with free game instead of The Show.)

I can guarantee you The Show will not win the Checkmate Arcade Golden King Award for Sports/Racing Game of the Year this year, probably won't even be nominated as it will probably end up being a race between UFC, FNR4, NBA 2K10, Madden 10, NHL 10, and Forza 3.

bread's done
Back