MLB 09: The Show - March 3, 2009 - Demo Out Now!

Well I was invited as a #5 SP for Spring Training, but they thought I needed to work on my stuff, they offered me a 3 year contract and sent me down to AA to the Bowie Baysox.

I love this game. :lol:

Yeah I know, but I thought I would at least make AAA. :lol:

And they converted me to a LRP until I was able to prove I can be a SP, I'm #2 in AA right now so I'm workin' my ways up!

Yeah I signed up for SP too but they converted me to LRP. I wish the game let you choose to be a RP, and that you could throw submarine but whatever. Eventually I got promoted to SP in AA after throwing a 5 inning shutout.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This week's MLB theme releases (AKA shitting team week):

San Diego
[/quote]

YAY! I had my fingers crossed that they would start from the bottom! :bouncy:

I got traded to the Rangers, so now I'm playing for their AA team the Frisco Rough Riders.

And... I just got injured, there goes my season. I'm out for 60 days with a "Shoulder Tear". :lol:

Can't wait for Gamefly to finally ship my copy out, hopefully in the next few days but I know I'll get my playtime in with it. Can't wait for baseball season to start, and the WBC.

I got signed by the Rangers and my guy is a closer. They offered me a two year contract but I only wanted to play in their system for one year so I countered with that.

Im in AA right now with an ERA around 2.70, around 1.10 WHIP and around a .240 BA against, yet I'm still a bullpen pitcher and I've only started one game. What gives?

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']Are there any roster updates with full minor leagues yet?[/quote]

Those wont be up until at least mid April according to Knight.

[quote name='ReturnofBoltz']Are there any roster updates with full minor leagues yet?[/quote]

The roster file done by fantasysportsguy from Operation Sports (it's in the top 20 rosters) is pretty accurate. Some tweaks would need to be made for players signed recently, but I know the Cardinals minors were pretty much fully accurate.

Is anyone else having lag issues playing online? I tried playing two games online, and both had pretty bad lag. I'm hoping it's not my connection, last time I tried to change my router settings I ended up killing my internet and had to get a new modem.

I played three games last night online and only experienced slight lag in one game and it was only for maybe an inning. I'm waiting for minor league rosters too before I start my franchise. If anyone is looking for a game add me on PSN and I'll always play.

So I decided to go out of the box and use the in game engine to make a commercial, similar to that one thing SCEA released last week. Hope you all enjoy it, did it last night in AE (with no prior skills in AE, it took me about ten hours to experiment with how to get it to export :/. Had to settle on SWF then convert it in a program that leaves a watermark :/)

If you do like, do subscribe. I plan on making more of these, even if they're not well received :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2PfJFp_BO8

[quote name='MSUHitman']The roster file done by fantasysportsguy from Operation Sports (it's in the top 20 rosters) is pretty accurate. Some tweaks would need to be made for players signed recently, but I know the Cardinals minors were pretty much fully accurate.[/quote]

where can i download that?

It's the roster equivalent of what they've been doing with sliders for years, so others submit rosters online for others to download. Should be up on SportsConnect like where you'd get new sliders.

I have a question about the stat tracking in your profile. I played my first exhibition game yesterday and the stats save normally in my profile like they should have.

Then I decide to start my RTTS with pitcher. I'm only playing once every five games but after simulating 10 games the record in my profile shows that I'm 7-3 and it's also giving my credit for home runs that are hit in the RTTS mode during simulation. Is there any work around on this so it just saves stats for when I play normal exhibition/season/franchise games? Maybe I'm missing something where it tracks stats for each of the modes?

i love this game and i had 08 and was pretty good at it, but i can't hit for crap on this version even when i move the sliders all the way up, i only had 3 hits in an 11 run game earlier, what should i do to get better

[quote name='jhweathers']i love this game and i had 08 and was pretty good at it, but i can't hit for crap on this version even when i move the sliders all the way up, i only had 3 hits in an 11 run game earlier, what should i do to get better[/QUOTE]

Spend some time in batting practice mode; it'll let you know what you're doing wrong.

The main thing with this years game though is they want you to work your count. They don't want you to swing on the first pitch, they want you to look for your pitch.

I haven't tried it yet, but batter's eye and hot zones supposedly make hitting easier.

The game also punishes you for being too aggressive at the plate, particularly the first run through the batting order. Try to take more pitches and not chase everything at the start of the game so that you get a good baseline from the R1 button later on.

I think he means R2, where in you can see the pitch history of the last at-bat or last pitch for that current swinger, that way you have a rough idea of what might the pitcher throw and where.

I usually follow this guide though when batting:

0-0 = Likely a fastball or a curve ball. Sometimes can be down the middle, often times painting the corners (Pitchers like to stay away from ball 1).
0-1 = Will throw outside the strike zone, or around the corners. Mostly the former.
0-2 = If you chased the previous two outside the strike zone, the CPU will 100% throw something out of the strike zone. If you didn't chase, expect a breaking pitch around the corners.

1-0 = Pitcher will usually rebound with a fast ball in the strike zone, but likely around the corner.
2-0 = Pitcher will fastball or running fastball on the corners.
3-0 = Fastball, every time. Will always be in the box.

Now for where it gets tricky:
1-1 = Can be anything.
1-2 = Same
2-1 = Usually a breaking ball on the corners.
2-2 = Breaking ball. Guaranteed.
3-1 = Fastball in the corners.
3-2 = Fastball in the zone.

Finally played my first full game last night. I just did a quick matchup of Detroit (me) vs Philly (cpu) at the Mets new stadium for some variety. I found the hitting a bit difficult, but it was a low scoring game. I won on a walk off double with two runs in the 9th to win 2-1. GREAT GAME. I love MLB the Show. I hope Knight gets his rosters up soon because I will wait to start a franchise until then. I need the real minors players as Detroit has some good players coming up (Porcello and Perry to name two).

Are there any rosters out that have all the moves that have happened recently? Such as Manny on the Dodgers and Cabrera/Garciaparra to the A's? I don't really care about players in the minors since I'm not familiar with any.

Theres a roster updated through yesterday in the roster vault, it's the one that's been downloaded the most times.

[quote name='gunm']I haven't tried it yet, but batter's eye and hot zones supposedly make hitting easier.

The game also punishes you for being too aggressive at the plate, particularly the first run through the batting order. Try to take more pitches and not chase everything at the start of the game so that you get a good baseline from the R1 button later on.[/quote]

I'm an OBP nut, so particularly in franchise I will often just pick a zone and a pitch for each hitter and not swing at anything that isn't there unless there's two strikes. I get a lot of walks and also drive up pitch counts, just like good hitters do in real life (though I suspect most good hitters would be willing to swing at a first pitch fastball which wasn't in the 1/6 of the zone they were looking at).

[quote name='DestroVega']Theres a roster updated through yesterday in the roster vault, it's the one that's been downloaded the most times.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, I'll check it out.

Well, I just read that it DID NOT fix the Cubs home schedule (they have all night games) or the problem with the lineups (Helton leading off, Ortiz playing 1st/Youkilis DH'ing, etc.). No word on Yankee Stadium framerate. People are speculating it MAY have stabilized online. So far, nobody is really sure what the patch did, haha.

^ Those are issues to update in the roster update, not the gameplay patch

there's no Show blog that talks about the patch?

From Russell at SCEA: This patch was made to fix issues we found before the game shipped. I'll see if I can get a list of what it fixed, but I wouldn't count on it.

Why is SCEA so secretive when it comes to patches? It's obnoxious.

[quote name='DestroVega']^ Those are issues to update in the roster update, not the gameplay patch

there's no Show blog that talks about the patch?[/quote]

I've read that there's a stats glitch too though. Apparently Texeira and A-Rod's career HR totals got swapped. And it has nothing to do with the roster...but the way the roster is loaded. So, that would be gameplay related.

They've really got some freaky glitches this year, but considering how much attention they give to roster updates, I'd really hope they'd get it fixed asap. I'd gladly miss a week or two of roster updates to get the gameplay sorted out.

Yeah A LOT of the career stats are screwed up. No one has a stat line before last year, and it says Manny only has 360 some odd homers. Edmonds and Sexton were messed up also.

Has anyone logged onto the Sports Zone to see if there's an official new roster patch for today (it usually updated on Monday's last year) or do I have to go to the roster vault?

bread's done
Back