MLB 09: The Show - March 3, 2009 - Demo Out Now!

Anyone want to add me on PSN to possibly play later? Username is tayman2037, I'll be available to play all day after 3 tomorrow.

This is when I wish I had a PS3. 2k9 isn't very good, but for what it's worth is a step up from 2k8. I guess that's not much of a compliment.

I just had a sick play at the plate. Bases loaded my team was up by two, 2 outs, bottom of the ninth. The hitter hits a line drive single to my RF, and my RF guns a throw slightly off line to the catcher. The catcher gets the ball and dives to the plate while the runner is sliding and he tags him out.

I wish these sports games came at at $40 rather than 60. I really wanna play this game. The commercial for it is hilarious.

I'm really liking this year's version.

I have had some confirmed disconnects when people go to listen to the "sportschat" or whatever it is called when people listen to your game. I would avoid using that if you can manage it. Hopefully a patch is coming soon.

I started a RTTS 3B/1B fat guy. Muddled along through spring training, got signed and started the season. My first AB came as a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 9th with 2 guys on down a run. I misread the pitching thinking it was a fastball. Instead it ducked down(curveball) right where my circle was. I was hitting square and put the ball over the right center field fence. Got my walk off hit and walk off HR trophies within 30 minutes of doing an RTTS. :D

I'm still getting the hang of it. I always suck for the first week or so of a new sports game (even though I own every year of the Show) as I get used to the controls again. I've dabbled in both RTTS and Franchise so far, still deciding which I'm going to pour my time in to (I like to play EVERY game, so Franchise will probably be a major time-sink, even if I turn on fast play).

Love it so far, of course.

I am, frankly, terrible. So I'm not likely to venture online anytime soon. But I love this game anyway. I spent an hour last night just taking BP and learning the ropes, marveling at the graphical polish.

One thing I'll never understand is what hallucinogenic drugs they're on when they set the player rankings from year to year. I've long thought there's actually some stipulation in the licensing agreement where they can't devalue players too much from year to year. It's consistently mind boggling how casual the relationship is between the ranking the player is given in this series and the present-day talent of that player.

It's just something I'll have to live with though.

[quote name='slickkill77']I just had a sick play at the plate. Bases loaded my team was up by two, 2 outs, bottom of the ninth. The hitter hits a line drive single to my RF, and my RF guns a throw slightly off line to the catcher. The catcher gets the ball and dives to the plate while the runner is sliding and he tags him out.[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to grab the replay?

Man, I can't wait for my birthday to get here.

[quote name='bvharris']One thing I'll never understand is what hallucinogenic drugs they're on when they set the player rankings from year to year. I've long thought there's actually some stipulation in the licensing agreement where they can't devalue players too much from year to year. It's consistently mind boggling how casual the relationship is between the ranking the player is given in this series and the present-day talent of that player.

It's just something I'll have to live with though.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to see them implement the sort of thing that EA did with FIFA (and NBA too, I think) where the player ratings are updated each day/week depending on their form.

Someone at Hollywood Video does not understand what that little "Only On Playstation" banner in the top left corner means...

3328873762_f68051a68f.jpg

[quote name='natureboy46']It would be nice to see them implement the sort of thing that EA did with FIFA (and NBA too, I think) where the player ratings are updated each day/week depending on their form.[/quote]

I'd honestly be fine if they did a good job of doing it annually. It seems they do an alright enough job of progressing younger players who are good, but their ability to appropriately regress older players or players whose skills have regressed for other reasons is pretty laughable.

Isn't that what they have done? I didn't pay attention to the ratings so much as just the weekly roster changes, but I can't imagine that they'd not adjust ratings where it seems fitting to do so.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Isn't that what they have done? I didn't pay attention to the ratings so much as just the weekly roster changes, but I can't imagine that they'd not adjust ratings where it seems fitting to do so.[/quote]

I don't pay that close attention to what they ARE doing about it. But I know that there are plenty of player ratings which make no sense to anyone who actually follows Major League Baseball, and it's particular noticeable when it comes to players who aren't as good as they once were.

Maybe I'll post a few examples when I get home.

So how many stores are sold out of The Show in your area? My Gamestop is sold out again this year. I'll see how many copies are available elsewhere as a frame of reference.

I went and picked it up at Walmart, and most stores are sold out. I checked Best Buy, another Walmart, Target, all out of stock.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Some videos from my time in RTTS and Season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMG3UByicd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mQ_uUZRowc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDgt-x-N7A[/quote]

The last two videos don't work.

Also how do you post them on YouTube after you save a replay to the PS3? When I go to the YouTube section for uploading in the PS browser and hit the browse button, the only choice I'm giving to look through is the photo section of the XMB, not the video section.

[quote name='yukine']I went and picked it up at Walmart, and most stores are sold out. I checked Best Buy, another Walmart, Target, all out of stock.[/quote]

Strangely, my Best Buy had them behind the counter yesterday. And I don't mean "in a display behind the counter", I mean "in a shopping basket on the floor behind the counter under a stack of Halo Wars guides". And this was on release day. Given the quality of customer service at BB, you can imagine how long it took me to find them.

(I begin by looking around the PS3 section, and all the other rational places one would expect to find this title. None in sight - though PSP and PS2 versions are out)
1st blueshirt: "Ask him"
2nd blueshirt: "At the front"
(I look around "the front" for a few minutes)
3rd blueshirt: "Checkout got 'em"
4th blueshirt (the cashier): "what?"
5th blueshirt: "In the basket hidden on the ground right behind 4th blueshirt"

Sales training ftw.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So how many stores are sold out of The Show in your area? My Gamestop is sold out again this year. I'll see how many copies are available elsewhere as a frame of reference.[/quote]

My Best Buy had quite a few yesterday when I bought mine.

How is the online play this year? If I get it, it will mainly be to play online. I don't want it to be like last year where I bought it and it was near unplayable online. Also, do they have the free hat promotion when you buy the game this year like they did last year? hehe

I will just comment on how much the umpires suck in this game. I've lost cound of how many times the commentator has said "Looked like a strike, but called a ball."

That's not the empires sucking, it's the dynamic realistic AI they programmed so that each ump has a different strike zone, like in real life. That way you can't abuse submarine pitchers (which why can't you be a submarine pitcher in RTTS?).

[quote name='Ski Hawk']I will just comment on how much the umpires suck in this game. I've lost cound of how many times the commentator has said "Looked like a strike, but called a ball."[/quote]

You can turn that off. There's an option in the menu for them to call a "perfect" strike zone I believe. I haven't used it myself, since I prefer the realistic feeling of being pissed at umpires.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Eh, guess I'm just frustrated in RTTS.[/quote]

You and me both. Christ RTTS is annoying this year. The new baserunning is absolutely AWFUL. I love this game to death, but good lawd.

[quote name='cartman58']You and me both. Christ RTTS is annoying this year. The new baserunning is absolutely AWFUL. I love this game to death, but good lawd.[/quote]

I don't like it either yet, especially that you have to hold down the left stick, I keep forgetting.

It's always like that in sports games though when they change a mechanic from year to year, I bet I'll get used to it.

For anybody interested in better sound packs, I'm working with a few of the guys over at OperationSports on grouping the clips together (3 clips per file, since you can set starting points within the game) and organizing them by team rather so they'll be easier to implement when editing the rosters. By putting them in groups of 3, it will allow for 720 clips rather than the standard 240. I'm also going to add some of the "arena music" I've got from the NHL 09 sound pack that should work nicely for this game too. It might take me a little while, but I wanted to let you guys know what's coming down the pipe. It should be awesome when I'm done. :)

n8 man, you are once again the man! All I have added so far is enter sandman.... pretty cool, but they don't show him jog to the mound, bummer.

This week's MLB theme releases (AKA shitting team week):

MLB
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
San Diego
Seattle
Washington

Next week is mediocre team week. :lol: ;)

How are you guys uploading videos to YouTube? When I go to the YouTube posting page via the PS3 browser, when I hit the browse button on the site to browse my HD, the only choice the PS3 gives me is to look in the photos folder, not the videos folder.

Haha man, last year my Rays would be in there, now I have to wait for them :(

How are you guys uploading videos to YouTube? When I go to the YouTube posting page via the PS3 browser, when I hit the browse button on the site to browse my HD, the only choice the PS3 gives me is to look in the photos folder, not the videos folder.

You gotta transfer it to a PC, like with a flash drive

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']You gotta transfer it to a PC, like with a flash drive[/quote]

What a bunch of fail. I thought the whole reason it saved them to the PS3 XMB was so you could load them to YouTube directly from the PS3?

Thanks for the info.

It would have to be the in-game version that PixelJunk Eden and other games offer for YouTube Uploading, which MLB 09 doesn't have. It lets you export them to do what you wish, like splice them together into longer videos or whatever you prefer.

bread's done
Back